Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpatron

you need to delete this tweet. it doesn't fit the narrative of i want to kill myself, i'm so depressed, cavani is shite, manchester united is finished, i want to stick needles in my penis crowd

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Sounds like he'll need a full 4 weeks intense and painful fitness programme before he'll be able to play.
How can Ole OK this, if this is genuinely true?
What's the issue?
Apparently everyone is tired after the lockdown anyway!!
He's actually a very conditioned player so will be up to speed in a few weeks.
I don't see many people make the same judgement about Bale, he'll be out longer, yet essentially it's the same deal.

Redfrog

The schedule is more congested this year. What if our main guy needs rest, while Ighalo is still this non existent, offering nothing, and result suffers in the meanwhile. Then what if Cavani turning out shit. We need to give him time right? So there is the risk of signing no forward in January.

You need to be able to assess short term player ASAP. It's about planning here.
Well, you can say that about every transfer...this one is a low risk as it is free...and Cavani is t'en times the player Igalho is.

Sad Chris

Questionable character
If you mean his character, I‘m not sure. I remember reading an article about him being the only PSG player that refused to make fun of Haaland after their CL pairing.

I understand and like banter and fun but I think a grownup could be a helpful influence in our locker room.

UncleBob

Sounds like he'll need a full 4 weeks intense and painful fitness programme before he'll be able to play.
How can Ole OK this, if this is genuinely true?
shame there is only 5 weeks left of the season, or somethibg

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Better option than Igahlo. Not sure why we extended ighalo loan deal. But, under Sir Alex we had like four very good striker. Ole might be trying to emulate that. Not my first choice, but still a good squad addition.

ti vu

Guess we should have not signed a striker instead then. Not like one of our main targets is available next summer for a known fee
Where is the link with Joshua King?

Previously you say you can accept this as for January when Iglaho left, right? We have quite some time to get another forward if that's the plan.

This type of transfer, where player ain't getting conditioning for months, is better for the beginning of the window. Had it come down to this, then rather not doing it.

Not our target, but it's not like there is lack of option. Dzeko, Milik are all available to move, beside all the forwards that already moved.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Better option than Igahlo. Not sure why we extended ighalo loan deal. But, under Sir Alex we had like four very good striker. Ole might be trying to emulate that. Not my first choice, but still a good squad addition.
I agree, mate :)

Toddler

This is a desperation signing, but at leat he is better than Ighalo. Could not have been planned for obvious reasons. 10 million agent fees? If true, well done woody. The embarrassment continues. Ah good times.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What is so concerning? It's not like we are depending on him as a starter. Ideally he'd be fit sooner rather than later but really we need him to be fit and ready by Christmas when Ighalo will be about to leave. Its not like this is some super risky signing either as its a free transfer minus the agent fee. Best case scenario is we get a forward who offers something we don't currently have (an aerial threat in the box) who can start the occasional game and sub on when we need a goal. Worst case scenario he is a complete flop and we can probably loan him out next year on subsidized wages and it's not the end of the world.

Right now, our in game substitutions are to bring on Ighalo or one of Greenwood/James/Mata, and none of those players are really much different than the players they replace in the front three. We can't rely on Martial and Greenwood as our main striking options in an already condensed season. I'd rather us sign a stop gap player now and wait for Greenwood to develop into a true number 9 than spend 40-50 million on some half decent forward we don't really want who will be on the books for 5 years.
With this seasons schedule, we need fit players now. Being fit by Christmas doesn't help us much. We're playing 2x week every week. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Ighalo would be knackered by the time he's up to speed. If he was fit now I would agree with it not being a bad signing for the reasons you stated. But right now he's useless to us, and that's all that matters.

ti vu

Well, you can say that about every transfer...this one is a low risk as it is free...and Cavani is t'en times the player Igalho is.
I am not talking about the risk of every signing. I am talking in context, people just say it's nothing if Cavani needs until January to get fit.

When he's deemed fit, of course he needs to be tried, which means we don't use January window to help the second half of season.

roseguy64

Cavani's Uruguayan coach. Reddit translations from interviews on 1st October and 2nd October:

"Edinson will not be called. He is in a low moment in terms of condition, in terms of fitness. When you consider the physical problems that have been a plague on his last years, and no competitive training or matches for many months, it will be a long time to rebuild. Of course he will never be the dominant, strong, fast player he was even with 30 or 31 years - but he can get to a better moment than he is now if he can rest without any more of the physical injuries that have taken so much"

"You have to remember that it is not just injuries or lack of competitive games, but this pandemic has interrupted his training regimen. He has not trained seriously for a long time. To compete, it is even longer. Of course, Cavani will be with us in 2022 in Qatar. He is an extremely major player and that has a big impact on my mind."
Makes me think he might not be registered for the squad until January.

DoomSlayer

Cavani's Uruguayan coach. Reddit translations from interviews on 1st October and 2nd October:

"Edinson will not be called. He is in a low moment in terms of condition, in terms of fitness. When you consider the physical problems that have been a plague on his last years, and no competitive training or matches for many months, it will be a long time to rebuild. Of course he will never be the dominant, strong, fast player he was even with 30 or 31 years - but he can get to a better moment than he is now if he can rest without any more of the physical injuries that have taken so much"

"You have to remember that it is not just injuries or lack of competitive games, but this pandemic has interrupted his training regimen. He has not trained seriously for a long time. To compete, it is even longer. Of course, Cavani will be with us in 2022 in Qatar. He is an extremely major player and that has a big impact on my mind."
Brilliant. The perfect deadline day signing. World class striker who can win us 10-12 points this season. The £20 million for 1 year of service is definitely well spent.
Yes. Because I don't know what a medical has to do with a contract renewal. Educate me.
We gave a new long-term contract to one of the most injury prone players in the world. It means the club would be happy to take pretty much any player, regardless of his fitness issues. Do you need any further explanation? Or are you going to hang onto the usage of the word "medical" and pretend like I said players who sign new deals at the club have to do medical checks before that happens?

ti vu

If you mean his character, I‘m not sure. I remember reading an article about him being the only PSG player that refused to make fun of Haaland after their CL pairing.

I understand and like banter and fun but I think a grownup could be a helpful influence in our locker room.
I meant his rivalry with Neymar, Zlatan, Icardi.

Last year, in a friendly he pissed Messi enough for Messi to ready to pull a punch out with him.

He's ultra competitive, but not as good as his demand is.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The classic Ed signing...

Doesn't fit our style of play? Check
No transfer fee for old guy? Check.
Panic signing? Check
Manager doesn't really want him? Check
Big name that will satisfy the morons? Check
Waste of money but might sell shirts in Asia? Check

It's a full house

Redfrog

Only that's he's the most natural finisher at the club so makes sense to have him in front of goal eventually so the centre forward role seems to make sense to me for him. He could play across the front 3 but I think he will end up.in the centre.
When you are the centre forward you play mostly with your back on the goal. For now it is much easier for him to get inside and shoot. To play central you have to hold the ball and distribute it. He is still not strong enough for that, he will get bullied...that is why most centre forward are playing from the wings when they are young...maybe he will end up there but non is not the time.

Greenwood is scoring for fun from the right, and we have no one who can play there. I don't understand this obsession to play him in the middle...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The classic Ed signing...

Doesn't fit our style of play? Check
No transfer fee for old guy? Check.
Panic signing? Check
Manager doesn't really want him? Check
Big name that will satisfy the morons? Check
Waste of money but might sell shirts in Asia? Check

It's a full house
Watch this space!

DoomSlayer

Apparently Cavani was one of 3-4 players that Ibrahimovic hated playing with in his career. So this whole "nice character, strong personality" is based on a lot of wishful thinking.

Red-17

With this seasons schedule, we need fit players now. Being fit by Christmas doesn't help us much. We're playing 2x week every week. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Ighalo would be knackered by the time he's up to speed. If he was fit now I would agree with it not being a bad signing for the reasons you stated. But right now he's useless to us, and that's all that matters.
He is certainly better than signing no one though, and I highly doubt it will actually take till Christmas for him to get fit. He probably could start coming off the bench by the end of the month which is when we will first need him.

RedDevil@84

So not only we feck up our targets, we go crazy and buy an old crock.
We are just a big circus run by Woodward.

DoomSlayer

He is certainly better than signing no one though, and I highly doubt it will actually take till Christmas for him to get fit. He probably could start coming off the bench by the end of the month which is when we will first need him.
Was signing Sanchez better than signing noone? People back then were saying it's even better, because we were getting rid of a useless player in Mkhitaryan.

Bestofthebest

We didn’t sign him earlier because he has been touting himself round Europe. Problem is either clubs didn’t want him or couldn’t afford his wages/agent fees.

roseguy64

We gave a new long-term contract to one of the most injury prone players in the world. It means the club would be happy to take pretty much any player, regardless of his fitness issues. Do you need any further explanation? Or are you going to hang onto the usage of the word "medical" and pretend like I said players who sign new deals at the club have to do medical checks before that happens?
Okay

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
The mistake that has been made with Sanchez (and that Chelsea had made with Torres) is being made again - expecting a player to "get it back", especially at that age.

Can also add Falcao to that list.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes, the absoulute definition of a panic buy. That's the point people are making. We couldn't get our preferred targets and ended up with this guy. Everything about him is terrible and then adding to that, he hasn't even played football in almost half year.
No it isn't, lets pretend we didn't attempt to sign him before we got Ighalo too, he wasn't the first choice is not a definition of panic, its the definition of not being the first choice.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I honestly do not understand your transfer strategy this window. You don't need a striker nor did you need the Dutch guy really. You are focusing on areas you dont really need improving and neglecting the areas you need investment.
The one position we needed more than any other was RW. That has been the case since Nani was let go. If Sancho wasn't happening, we at least needed a quality backup to Greenwood for now, and we've completely failed with the best part of 3 months to chalk out an option, spending a lot of money on an overpaid square peg to fill a round hole. Just like most transfer windows since 2013.

We've moved from signing left wingers to play at RW to centre forwards to play there, at least Woody is moving in the correct direction on a horizontal scale.

A staggering 70 minutes in EL and EPL all together. Have no idea how people can't comprehend your argument about this. There was no reason to pay loan fee to Shangai, pay Ighalo wages and extend his loan only to take Cavani at the end of this transfer window when he was available just 30 days after we extended Ighalo's loan.

That is poor planning and pissing money away once again. Also, a perfectly valid criticism.

As for Cavani wish him all the best.
When we extended Ighalo's contract, we had no idea we'd eventually get Cavani, obviously. And therein lies the incompetence - Woody has no idea of his targets and how things would pan out in different scenarios. He's doing improv, like usual. A strong reason why we would need a DoF. But that's another lost cause.

I was worried about this -and it shows that the club didn't expect to sign him even a month ago. If we'd gone for Cavani early in the window, at least he would had time to train and get his fitness levels up in order to be match fit and ready before CL games begin.

It is likely we have secured another Mata with a 7 month hiatus from the game on a competitive level, on 200k a week. Great player in his day, a shadow of himself now with the occasional good phase of play when fit and in form. And we've done so in panic and desperation.

If we had accepted Sancho not happening very early on like well run football clubs do, and also resigned ourselves to paying crazy wages and agent fees for a free transfer, the first player we should have approached was Willian for the RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.