Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
do you know where that quote comes from?
It is not from the interview with Jose Herrera (Uruguayan fitness coach) that's been arround over here.

As far as I know, he only said Cavani was left out because he hasn't played, and was training by himself with no club. He mentioned next month (for the next matches), they will study if he has found a club, is trainning and if he has played some minutes already.
Don’t ruin it for @WPMUFC hes been banging on about this comment all night, he’s been on his couch don’t you know!!!!

Barnslig

Being on the sidelines with Covid and all for half a year is not the same as recovering from a serious injury. Recovering fitness may take him a couple of weeks, and then Ole will start using him to get him match fit. I’m sure he wants to be fully part of the team by the time we play PSG.
I mean we have multiple players in the squad that are way younger than 33, that have been on way less of a break (did they even have any?) and they are struggling to get up to speed. A 33 year old Cavani free agent living as a king in Paraguay for 6 months is not just a tiny hurdle.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I mean it was reported that he would be on "massive wages" and that correlates to 250k+ at United, no? I don't think anyone has the specifics yet, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'd be at or close to 300k p/w. I don't see it as low risk at all, I see it more as a symbol of where we're headed as a club, and what path we're currently going down. From all the positive press we had at the end of the season to where we're at now, without playing a great deal of football has to be on the ones running the club. They've had a disastrous summer, and I am not even that upset by losing out on Sancho, but we've been quoted 120m for him all summer, and we surely would know if that's something we're comfortable paying right away? If we're not, move on and get someone else in. We still don't have a single RW in the squad, and haven't had one since Nani. That's unforgivable in my mind, a sackable offense in itself.
in this thread the last few pages alone I’ve seen 175K, 200k, 250k and 300k a week. People write what suits their opinion

Barnslig

in this thread the last few pages alone I’ve seen 175K, 200k, 250k and 300k a week. People write what suits their opinion
Again because no one has the actual number. Massive wages have been spouted by the media, and people have varying opinions on what "massive wages" are. Ultimately he's going to be paid a metric feckton of money to be sitting on the bench. This screams Sanchez v2 to me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Remember when a certain poster who predicted Zlatan wouldn’t score 8 goals for us? All because of his hate for Mourinho.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Again because no one has the actual number. Massive wages have been spouted by the media, and people have varying opinions on what "massive wages" are. Ultimately he's going to be paid a metric feckton of money to be sitting on the bench. This screams Sanchez v2 to me.
So you lean towards him being paid 300k as you’ve already posted as that suits your argument that he’s a Sanchez mk2.

I lean toward believing it’s more 175k ighalo replacement.

the media always make a drama out of united, surely you know this

Rolaholic

I mean it was reported that he would be on "massive wages" and that correlates to 250k+ at United, no? I don't think anyone has the specifics yet, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'd be at or close to 300k p/w. I don't see it as low risk at all, I see it more as a symbol of where we're headed as a club, and what path we're currently going down. From all the positive press we had at the end of the season to where we're at now, without playing a great deal of football has to be on the ones running the club. They've had a disastrous summer, and I am not even that upset by losing out on Sancho, but we've been quoted 120m for him all summer, and we surely would know if that's something we're comfortable paying right away? If we're not, move on and get someone else in. We still don't have a single RW in the squad, and haven't had one since Nani. That's unforgivable in my mind, a sackable offense in itself.
He hasn't even had a medical yet and the figures being reported all hover around 200k, a lot less than he was making at PSG, nowhere near 300k from what's been floated around.

As has been said again and again amongst the pages of outcry, 2 things can be true at once. It's possible to see this signing as a positve addition to our squad depth while also acknowledging we've had a disappointing window so far.

Obviously we still have other positions in need of improving, individually though this is a welcome addition/upgrade to our striking option over what we've had over the last season. If it ends up being our final signing I'd understand all the raging a bit more but that's not been confirmed yet

gajender

Assuming Cavani can stay fit and he is on a 1year contract with option of another I think it could be a good deal, it seems us fans want it all we want Greenwood to play as a striker ,want Martial to be given time to convince he can be our striker long term but would still want a younger back up with experience this season and on top of that we would like us go for likes of Haaland when they eventually come up for sale.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s going to cost us £30 million quid at least. RvP was on 12 in 2013. Cavani will be on at least that in 2020, plus signing on fee. He’s not coming here for free. Just like Sanchez isn’t going to Inter for free... oh.. actually I think he is..

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
From Laurie Whitwell's latest Tweet (the article is free, so you should be able to read it in full):

Basically, Cavani wanted ~173k Euros/week. We might have gotten him for less than that.

Chuck_B

I think this will be a good signing for us. There are going to be some embarrassing comments to look back on in January
Why can't people see that even if his wages may be over inflated, he's the player we need. A veteran and Martial against Brighton proves it. No imagination, no grit, shite in the air. We have no one like it. We have no presence at no 9 and an experienced player like Cavani is not the future but a short term solution in a busy year. 5 times the player Ighalo is, and maybe had a bad year last year but let's take a punt and stop being so feckin negative. He's not the future but a good influence on our young players, which most cannot head a ball. Greenwood is our future but experience off the bench is definitely what we need. So much negativity pissing me right off. Stand by the greatest club in England and see things happening for the good. We have the players. Lets Let's just start supporting them. Have some faith and stop cutting everything down at every chance. MUFC is in our blood. Lets get behind these lads and go for it! Come on Uniiiittedd!!

Reactions: Sultan

Barnslig

He hasn't even had a medical yet and the figures being reported all hover around 200k, a lot less than he was making at PSG, nowhere near 300k from what's been floated around.

As has been said again and again amongst the pages of outcry, 2 things can be true at once. It's possible to see this signing as a positve addition to our squad depth while also acknowledging we've had a disappointing window so far.

Obviously we still have other positions in need of improving, individually though this is a welcome addition/upgrade to our striking option over what we've had over the last season. If it ends up being our final signing I'd understand all the raging a bit more but that's not been confirmed yet
I don't disagree with what you're saying, in my mind 200k or 300k makes little difference in terms of making a point. It's still a huge pile of money spent on an over-the-top 33 year old, that in my eyes have never really been a top, top player to begin with.
I also agree that two things can be true at once, I just don't agree that this is a positive signing for us, agree to disagree I guess. I don't think signing squad players is stupid, but I question the clubs planning and execution of signing these players. Cavani is surely not being panic signed because we lost out on Sancho? They don't even play in the same position, and are very different players. If we wanted Cavani, why did we give him a 6 month holiday in Uruguay instead of signing him at the start of the window and let him gel with the squad? Again Cavani is the symptom of the issue, not the issue itself. The issue is further up, and these kinds of signings will continue to happen as long as the clowns are still in charge.

hobbers

What in the world are you even talking about here??

Some of you really need to get a grip, Christ
If this was anything other than a transparently desperate last second grab why didn't we do it two months ago? Cavani has been sat on his arse a free agent since Ligue 1 was cancelled.

ti vu

do you know where that quote comes from?
It is not from the interview with Jose Herrera (Uruguayan fitness coach) that's been arround over here.

As far as I know, he only said Cavani was left out because he hasn't played, and was training by himself with no club. He mentioned next month (for the next matches), they will study if he has found a club, is trainning and if he has played some minutes already.
Mario Rebollo (assistant coach) past few days, by the look from Reddit

Derechos Exclusivos (Radio Uruguay 1050 AM)

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't disagree with what you're saying, in my mind 200k or 300k makes little difference in terms of making a point. It's still a huge pile of money spent on an over-the-top 33 year old, that in my eyes have never really been a top, top player to begin with.
I also agree that two things can be true at once, I just don't agree that this is a positive signing for us, agree to disagree I guess. I don't think signing squad players is stupid, but I question the clubs planning and execution of signing these players. Cavani is surely not being panic signed because we lost out on Sancho? They don't even play in the same position, and are very different players. If we wanted Cavani, why did we give him a 6 month holiday in Uruguay instead of signing him at the start of the window and let him gel with the squad? Again Cavani is the symptom of the issue, not the issue itself. The issue is further up, and these kinds of signings will continue to happen as long as the clowns are still in charge.
Totally no difference between 175k a week and 300k a week, I agree

WPMUFC

From Laurie Whitwell's latest Tweet (the article is free, so you should be able to read it in full):

Basically, Cavani wanted ~173k Euros/week. We might have gotten him for less than that.
we are paying him based off "who he used to be" :lol:

"Do you think that Edi did not play for almost a month at PSG so that I could drop the operation for a commission and that Edi did not fulfill his dream of going to Atletico Madrid? If it were for money, Edi would have gone to England, Manchester or Chelsea."

Manchester United were also linked with a move for Cavani after losing top scorer Marcus Rashford to a back injury but were "not completely sold" on the Uruguayan due to his salary and injury record, according to David Ornstein at The Athletic
https://syndication.bleacherreport....it-manchester-united-chelsea-rumours.amp.html
https://theathletic.com/1560835/

:lol:

Barnslig

Totally no difference between 175k a week and 300k a week, I agree
I mean, obviously there is mate. All I was trying to say is that if he's on 200k or 300k matters very little, it's a metric feckton of money regardless. Especially for a over-the-top squad player.

Chuck_B

Why can't people see that even if his wages may be over inflated, he's the player we need. A veteran and Martial against Brighton proves it. No imagination, no grit, shite in the air. We have no one like it. We have no presence at no 9 and an experienced player like Cavani is not the future but a short term solution in a busy year. 5 times the player Ighalo is, and maybe had a bad year last year but let's take a punt and stop being so feckin negative. He's not the future but a good influence on our young players, which most cannot head a ball. Greenwood is our future but experience off the bench is definitely what we need. So much negativity pissing me right off. Stand by the greatest club in England and see things happening for the good. We have the players. Lets Let's just start supporting them. Have some faith and stop cutting everything down at every chance. MUFC is in our blood. Lets get behind these lads and go for it! Come on Uniiiittedd!!
+ Bailly can be the best around on his day. Makes Maguire and Lindelof look like Lovern when playing alongside them. Injury prone sure, but best in defence when called upon. Ole needs to get him in there. Leeds against City tonight show we are not far away with some strategic coaching. Julian Nagelsmann is the ultimate tactician for the future. Leaves Ole in the shade. No comparison. Nostalgia has our minds clouded. Not a good manager.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
10 million was the agent fee. The rumour is around 200k per week for Cavani personal terms.
That’s even more ridiculous. Cause that’s around 30m in 2 years including agent fees which is stupid cause we could have money towards Sancho.

Barnslig

That’s even more ridiculous. Cause that’s around 30m in 2 years including agent fees which is stupid cause we could have money towards Sancho.
Yeah, estimated to cost us around 30m, but is completely risk free, apparently.

Number32

If we signed him in july, then he got £1,6m in 2 month just for eating donuts.
Why is it hard for anyone to understand Woodward's logic?

WPMUFC

A player that thought they'd have clubs clamoring to sign them, only to have no interest for 2x months, now seeks his final pay day with a desperate club that did not want him but has panic bought in the last 48 hours of the window because all the other potential deals are about to or have collapsed around them.

Barnslig

If we signed him in july, then he got £1,6m in 2 month just for eating donuts.
Why is it hard for anyone to understand Woodward's logic?
So all of our players have just been eating donuts for the last two months, have they?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is unreasonable, he wanted way less than that when Benfica were interested. Going by Whitwell article, it's around 170K per week.

Barnslig

It is unreasonable, he wanted way less than that when Benfica were interested. Going by Whitwell article, it's around 170K per week.
It's not like we have history overpaying players, is it? Anyway, it doesn't matter at the end of the day, I personally believe he's going to be an overpaid, injury-prone, over-the-top squad player at best, so any money spent on his wages would be a waste in my eyes, whether it's 50k or 500k.

roonster09

Scout
It's not like we have history overpaying players, is it? Anyway, it doesn't matter at the end of the day, I personally believe he's going to be an overpaid, injury-prone, over-the-top squad player at best, so any money spent on his wages would be a waste in my eyes, whether it's 50k or 500k.
Yeah doesn't mean we have to come up with random numbers.

roonster09

Scout
And that's the Euro, which is around 155k GBP. So, thats pretty reasonable for him
If the reports are true then it's 1+1 year deal too, so yeah low risk transfer. It won't be like Sanchez where he was highest paid player in the league and on long contract.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
No transfer fee, and a two year deal. The only worrying thing is his age and his lack of goals last year.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Yep. Out of action for 7 months, 33, body totally shot, contemplating retirement beforehand, no pre-season, tougher league, gruelling schedule... what could possibly go wrong here?

Barnslig

No transfer fee, and a two year deal. The only worrying thing is his age and his lack of goals last year.
Don't forget the reported 10m agents fee.

Yeah doesn't mean we have to come up with random numbers.
Alright. I am sorry I didn't do the research prior to making the post. I still believe my points stand, however. He will be a massively overpaid squad player spending most of his time on the treatment table.

tjb

I dont' see why people don't see this. Cavani is signing, not to be a back up for Martial or start over him, but to rotate with him. It's like Chelsea when they had Gudjohnson and Drogba. At the time, neither were world class in the way Henry or RVN were, so Chelsea decided to have both constantly rotate with each other. Both scored about 15 league goals each, getting 30 in the process. It's similar to how we used Cole and Ole in the treble team. Cavani playing for us, means Martial has less pressure to be a 30 plus goals per season striker. It makes our attack more consistent.

In addition to this, he provides an option out wide. This means that we now have two players capable of playing on the right side with the quality to be impactful in every scenario in Greenwood and Cavani. At the start of last season, we had Daniel James as the only player willing to play on the right, as neither Rashford or Martial has shown any signs of wanting to play there. It means that we have options in case of injuries, and even with the signing of VDB, we can also use him across the attacking midfield line, we have options. In signing Cavani, we would have fixed our biggest problem last season, attacking depth. We could never trust ourselves to rest players because we knew that we have lingard, mata, james and pereira to replace them. Now we have VDB and Cavani, with mata ocassionally. That is a massive improvement. If the idea is for Greenwood to grow into the right wing position, this is a huge plus as cavani can mentor and rotate with him.

Our two other weaknesses are, full back depth and the centre back next to Maguire. In terms of Maguires partner, I do not feel we need to sign a centre back unless a really high potential one becomes available. We have Mengi and Tuanzebe coming through, with Bailly potentially providing a stop gap. The centre backs available are not impressive, especially considering their inflated fees. For example, I do not think Upemacano is much better than Bailly given the technique and defending I've seen from him. He is clearly not 40m more than him, but that is the price to sign him in the current market. We may as well push and develop our defenders quicker. None of City, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal have good and steady centre back partnerships. And even Liverpool's Van Dijk has a weak partner. In addition to this, across Europe, I don't believe too many top teams have centre back partnerships better than what we can potentially have. We all saw Varane against City, the issues of Pique and Umiti/Lenglet. Even De Ligt had issues at Juve last year. Patience may be better for that position. In terms of full back depth, most teams do not have it. And for most teams it makes sense as their full backs are usually fit enough to play the whole season. Unfortunately for us, Shaw has been injury prone due to consistent lack of fitness. And as a result, a suitable left back who can rotate or replace him may be necessary unless he shows otherwise. Williams is not good enough, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

roonster09

Scout
This is the article, apparently Juventus came close but contract length was the reason it didn't happen. Going by this thread, I thought Cavani was some non league player with no club interested at all.

Cavani has valued many proposals during the summer. The first important one came from Benfica , but the payment conditions were not the most encouraging. Hence, his pass was moving between various teams and Real Madrid and Juventus valued incorporating it.

The Italians were very close to completing their signing, but in the end a mismatch in the years of the contract ended up blowing up the operation and Cavani returned to the starting box.

In recent days, Benfica became interested again, but Manchester United made a formal, serious and forceful proposal that convinced the player that he will contribute his effort at Old Trafford for the next two seasons
https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbo...inson-cavani-dos-temporadas-manchester-united

Barnslig

Smacks of a shut the supporters up signing. I feel like my intelligence is being insulted
Which is where I believe the club have got it wrong this time. I believe people are waking up to the fact that this isn't just fun, games and memes anymore. We're actually ran by a bunch of amateurs, we're being ridiculed by our handling of transfers by other clubs in the media, and the general anger and frustration is generally being pointed at the boardroom rather than the manager finally. We won't improve until the asshats above the manager realises their limitations and hire professionals with the experience to handle running one of the largest sporting organisations in the world.

roonster09

Scout
Alright. I am sorry I didn't do the research prior to making the post. I still believe my points stand, however. He will be a massively overpaid squad player spending most of his time on the treatment table.
Yeah, his injury problems are a huge concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.