Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RashyForPM

Yes I agree, spoilt fans these days talk shit and they don’t even know what they’re on about, just like sticking the boot in and thinking they know
It is bloody infuriating. We, including us fans, need to work properly to get a title. We have no divine right to win it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
That ship has sailed pal. We're Manchester United, a team that hasnt won a single trophy for 3 years, finished in the top 4 just 3 times in the last 7 years. That's the reality!
Exactly.

dove

One of the most irrational transfers in our history.

Our idiot CEO spends months pissing around on a player who we need desperately to fill a position for the next decade and become world class. The price of Sancho reflects our need and long term benefit. But Ed just fecks around for the entire transfer window.

Then he goes and spends a fair chunk of that money on a crock who represents zero future planning, including bunging an agent a significant amount.

Ed is an absolute and utter arsehole
Sums up our idiotic fanbase :lol:

RedPnutz

Why is this a panic buy? It’s precisely because he’s been free all summer that we can wait till the final stages of the window to sign him.

Plus he is obviously not a RW so he’s part of squad depth and huge upgrade over what we have on the bench.

I don’t get this narrative that some posters are trying to push. We failed in getting Sancho (if true) we panic into buying Cavani? What an asinine view that serves to purpose except to diss on the club.

Sancho in or not, it is no question that Cavani strengthens our squad. Stop being negative.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Can't believe people are so against this I think its a great signing. We have moaned that we haven't got enough depth and this is a clear upgrade on Ighalo and might even push Martial to get even more out of him. I think we have been missing a good focal point up top and he could help us unlock them difficult teams.

If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. Shit happens. It won't be a massive contract at his age he will soon be gone.

BigLebowski007

I think getting Cavani is a good move. He's a proven scorer at top level, he works hard, no transfer fee, short term contract. He is definitely huge improvement on Ighalo. But I won't be surprised if he pushes Martial out of starting lineup pretty soon. Either that or Martial will lift his game now. A win-win situation i guess.
Not to mention he'll be very keen to score a couple against PSG

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
FFS its a 1+1 deal, if he even gives what Michael Owen did in 2009, it would be a bonus considering the board had no obvious plans for a back up striker this summer when Ole had been begging for one all the while.

Dan_F

If (and it's a big if) we sign Sancho and Telles in the next 24 hours, does that change anybody's perception of the Cavani signing?
Yeah definitely. In that case all we’ve done is replace Igahlo. It’s an expensive back up, but a clear upgrade. Right now though, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cavani is being earmarked to also play wide, as well as back up Martial.

I think it’ll be Telles and Cavani.

djembatheking

That ship has sailed pal. We're Manchester United, a team that hasnt won a single trophy for 3 years, finished in the top 4 just 3 times in the last 7 years. That's the reality!
Yep, you are right and decisions like this just ram home how far away this football club has fallen for me.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If (and it's a big if) we sign Sancho and Telles in the next 24 hours, does that change anybody's perception of the Cavani signing?
Telles may happen but Sancho is not. I and a few others pointed out months ago that the transfer made little sense to Dortmund or Sancho this season. However, Muppets have to muppet.

tombombadil

200k for a 33yr old bench option doesnt strike me as a good deal

He's spent his best years in a woeful league and is looking for one last big pay day.

The prem is an incredibly hard league to adjust too and at this stage in Cavani's career im struggling to see it being an overwhelming success.

1 day of the window left and this is seriously the best option we got to bolster our attack? Woodward has outdone himself here. Truly shambolic.

This signing highlights how inept our board are and how the people who run this club have no ambition to make us a title challenging team

We are the biggest joke in world football right now
Regardless, he is a free transfer and he is well within the wage structure, if rumors are true. Also, it is a 1 + 1 deal, so we can let go if he flops next year.

Let's be honest. Is he an upgrade over Ighalo? Yes. Are we breaking the bank and our wage structure for him like Sanchez? No.

He was a class striker in his prime and hopefully he can provide competition for Martial while also providing experience and confidence to a very young team.

My only concern, like with others here, is his injury record. Playing as a backup striker, hopefully he will get less muscular injuries as he will be rested more often.

While I agree the "transfer committee" has done poorly the last 6 years, I will concede that they are not as bad as they were during Moyes' time. In the last 1 to 2 years, they seem to be getting better.

The team needed more squad depth. That much is obvious since last season. Since we cannot get our main targets again :houllier:, (I agree they deserve a bollocking for that), they seem to be focusing instead on addressing the problems related with squad depth.

I will not fault them for that. If we get Telles as well, that would at least give us solid options on the bench.

Roughly same first 11 as last season (except maybe Telles) and a slightly better bench. I think this is the bare minimum we can accept for what has been a largely disappointing window. Just pray we get CL again next year so that we can hopefully target either Sancho or Haaland.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Are we getting him for football-related or marketing reasons?

I think if he lands here, that's our transfer window shut and we'll show him as "big-star" signing.

crossy1686

career ending
Lets put some context here . Martial is our main striker and rightly so. So essentially we are looking for a backup. Greenwood probably would take the right wing anyway as I don't think Sancho is coming and we are now coming to realization that we need a striker . If Sancho was here ,yes Mason can deputize (personally I don't think he is ready to lead the line yet).

Now whho is realistically available who can come in without a quality drop ?

Spurs just paid 35m for that Brazilian guy. Liverpool has been continuously spending on backup options (Origi, Shaqiri, Mino, Jota- thats 60m+)
Arsenal spent 100m on Laca and Auba.

This is a short term fix until we have Mason ready or Halaand (or any xyz). Its a one year deal with an option for second.

Its going to be okay !
Thanks for this, I think I needed to hear it. Let’s just hope next summer is a better all round window then.

DevilRed

I think only the pessimistic fans will look at it this way.

People without biased will look at this as a calculated gamble to improve our forward selection. Especially as Ighalo is gone in 3 months.

Cavani is a class goal scorer and if we can get 10-15 goals out of him he will be a resounding success. More importantly it means we have competition for places up front again

Wal2Fra

If Juve were doing it, no one would bat an eye. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Juve also win their league title year in year out, are competitive in the UCL and make other signings around this type of signing to strengthen their team, so a Cavani type signing is more the cherry on top with them.

I don’t rate him at all. His goal record at PSG comes from being in a team far superior, who create 20 chances a game. We are not doing that right now, nor do we have the wingers or full backs to put the ball on a plate for him, like he needs.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well for starters you didn’t say that, you said anyone unopposed to the Glazers you hope they die.

Secondly, no, as legitimate as it is to hate the Glazers for what they’ve done to the club it’s idiotic to try and align that to Trump.
Yeah, sorry was out of line. Drank one too many last night.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It shouldn’t as they’re separate. What it does is changes the perception of the window

Houdini

Our no.7 after Ronaldo: Valencia, Depay, Di Maria, Sanchez, Cavani? Shambles.

Red_Aaron

This signing is all about Greenwood for me

This signing allows us to give Mason another season as a rotation which is exactly what he needs imo - I think he's world class and capable of leading the line for years to come but it's still very early days for him and giving him that responsibility now is huge pressure for the lad. This is also a great challenge for Mason, there's a big (sexy) world class striker in your way now mate - what are you going to do about it? Someone to learn off of, someone to rise up against, someone to overcome.

1 year with an option of a 2nd is the perfect contract length. Could be a very good signing indeed and does not impact in anyway on our other targets

shahzy

Who were those players? I can only remember Schweinsteiger and Falcao (on loan) who were definite bad decisions at the time of signing. Based on what you're saying there must be many more names.
Sanchez definitely belongs in this category. He was terrible for at minimum 6 months before the transfer. People palmed it off as him not trying because he didn't want to be at Arsenal but hindsight has now told us that was actually his level. Woodward signed him just to have a 'big name', the same phenomenon shown in that clip about Woodward talking about Schweinsteiger

SSSSnake

He’ll improve the squad but the most frustrating thing for me is that he’s been available all summer. We should all still back him until he give us a reason to critique. It will be nice to have a target man for a change and someone that can score with their head.

DevilRed

This signing is all about Greenwood for me

This signing allows us to give Mason another season as a rotation which is exactly what he needs imo - I think he's world class and capable of leading the line for years to come but it's still very early days for him and giving him that responsibility now is huge pressure for the lad. This is also a great challenge for Mason, there's a big (sexy) world class striker in your way now mate - what are you going to do about it? Someone to learn off of, someone to rise up against, someone to overcome.

1 year with an option of a 2nd is the perfect contract length. Could be a very good signing indeed and does not impact in anyway on our other targets
Hopefully it also means Martial is not an automatic selection. Sometimes when form is poor, we have an alternative that can actually score goals and provide something different when leading the line.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He’ll improve the squad but the most frustrating thing for me is that he’s been available all summer. We should all still back him until he give us a reason to critique. It will be nice to have a target man for a change and someone that can score with their head.
Because he's been available all summer long, the club preferred to focus on harder targets

Red_Aaron

Hopefully it also means Martial is not an automatic selection. Sometimes when form is poor, we have an alternative that can actually score goals and provide something different when leading the line.
Definitely - I love our front three but having them all as guaranteed starters regardless of form is dangerous. They did well last season but we need to push them on and it's only through improved competition that it will happen

WPMUFC

absolutely, because i don't mind taking a wild punt on a has-been when the squad is mightily improved in spite of the gamble.

Cavani at his best is better than Ighalo. However the major problem is, we close the window with VDB and an unfit cavani that likely does not even make the bench for over a month, and thats it? Thats how MUFC progress from top 4 to a top 2 or title challenge? A rotation midfielder and unfit striker gamble?

Why are we panic signing Cavani and then haggling porto over chump change for telles (actual instant improvement) etc etc.

Superunknown

I can see both sides to this signing. Let's just get him in and see what happens. At this point, it's better to have him as an option than to have nobody, because that's the reality. We just need choices and Cavani offers something a bit different.

For some strange reason, I can't get it out of my head that this is a type of signing that a club like Chelsea would make. Maybe we need to make more use of loaning players/getting short term fixes/frees.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
His wages would probably go down from 300k to 175k then so it wouldn’t be as bad

AneRu

Happy with the signing, strengthens the squad immensely along with Donny. Hopefully we get Telles and a winger in.

However we feel about the club right now we were still the best side in the League after Bruno came and these couple of additions will help a lot. Just wish we could do more and had done it sooner.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
9 million quid in agent fees. Some ‘free’ signing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.