Edinson Cavani

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm far from being his biggest fan, but having a go at him for a (dreadful) miss when he isn't even playing striker is a bit much.

Let's face it, the twat who was meant to be scoring the goals got himself sent off, left his team up against it, and it is the guy who worked his bollocks off to successfully make up for it that gets the flak? Seriously?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Right, now I must only watch this guy play like 4 or 5 times a season... but every time I do he's either completely rubbish or bang average.

He must do some incredible shit in all the games I don't see, because I just don't get it.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm far from being his biggest fan, but having a go at him for a (dreadful) miss when he isn't even playing striker is a bit much.

Let's face it, the twat who was meant to be scoring the goals got himself sent off, left his team up against it, and it is the guy who worked his bollocks off to successfully make up for it that gets the flak? Seriously?
The "twat" shouldn't have been off the first place and he would've buried that chance rather than trying to score from a tight angle.

It was far from deserved sending off.

izec

I like him and would take him. He lost a bit composure in front of goal, but i think if used correctly he could find his Napoli form again.

antohan

The "twat" shouldn't have been off the first place and he would've buried that chance rather than trying to score from a tight angle.

It was far from deserved sending off.
I'm not disputing that, but while you reverse the situation for the scoring you probably should for the workrate as well. PSG probably needed Cavani more than Ibra once down to ten men, glaring miss or not. Of course, he needs to find his scoring form again if he is to command the sort of fees and salary that's always bandied about. We have Rooney anyway, who matches the workrate and is a more reliable scorer and performer.

Annahnomoss

I'm not disputing that, but while you reverse the situation for the scoring you probably should for the workrate as well. PSG probably needed Cavani more than Ibra once down to ten men, glaring miss or not. Of course, he needs to find his scoring form again if he is to command the sort of fees and salary that's always bandied about. We have Rooney anyway, who matches the workrate and is a more reliable scorer and performer.
It is a difficult scenario for any player to randomly play as a striker a match here and there depending on the main strikers availability. It is not like you can go from playing on the wing to upfront in a day/moment and still be as good as you were in your peak form when you played there regularly.

People are very hard on Cavani in general, but it makes sense as his playing style is very ugly. He's a bit Muller'ish to be frank and almost always looks the opposite of graceful even when he pulls a great move.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It is a difficult scenario for any player to randomly play as a striker a match here and there depending on the main strikers availability. It is not like you can go from playing on the wing to upfront in a day/moment and still be as good as you were in your peak form when you played there regularly.

People are very hard on Cavani in general, but it makes sense as his playing style is very ugly. He's a bit Muller'ish to be frank and almost always looks the opposite of graceful even when he pulls a great move.
Agreed. Even when he was at Napoli he had a very clumsy style. I remember him coming on as a sub once, gave away two shockingly bad passes, fell over whilst dribbling but then ended up turning the game around by scoring 2.

He scored goals for Napoli against Man City and Chelsea. His role at PSG is a lot different than at Napoli, he's a lot more rushed in his play. I have no doubts if he ever moved to Arsenal and played as a lone front man that he would perform at the highest level.

antohan

Indeed. The thing is with the hype and price tag people expect something different, and I understand that, but if you assess him leaving that aside he is a cracking player. I saw him play on the wing for Uruguay for years, so I may be more used to it, but I know when up against it we can count on him grafting as much as anyone else and if you did play him upfront regularly then you would get that AND the goals.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

Very true.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I like him and would take him. He lost a bit composure in front of goal, but i think if used correctly he could find his Napoli form again.
You'd ruin him too.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
As a 9 I do rate him. He puts a shift in when he's asked to play out wide, but he's certainly not the same calibre player on the flanks.

crimsonife

I agree he's good when as a striker upfront, but on the wing like at PSG he obviously won't be as effective, he's not meant to be there. His size and playstyle is for a lone number 9.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Is being labelled African now a derogatory term? Surely the first thought would be that he's an idiot for thinking Jamaica was in Africa, rather than looking for a racist undertone.
I agree.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Is being labelled African now a derogatory term? Surely the first thought would be that he's an idiot for thinking Jamaica was in Africa, rather than looking for a racist undertone.
Hardly surprising though in a PC world where everyone is just desperate to be offended.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Ok, I've seen him miss way too many wide open sitters in big games now..

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
28 goals this season with PSG like ... Messi.

Cavani tonight scored 2 goals:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
PSG must be creating a billion chances for him in the French league.

WhoDaGOAT

Cavani is life. His movement is incredible. It's why he ends up on the end of so many chances.

He can frustrate at times, but his record in front of goal speaks for itself. 3 years at Napoli, and yet only finished 11 goals shy of Diego Maradona's record.

WhoDaGOAT

To be fair, his European record for Napoli and PSG reads; 59 apps, 37 goals. He also has 37 goals for Uruguay.

If Cavani had a slightly more clinical rate, we'd be talking about one of the best goalscorers of all time. 299 goals so far.

Hojoon

One of the main reasons why he's getting so many chances is his excellent movement to be fair. It's too bad he misses way too many chances at the biggest stages, or else he'd be considered with the best.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be fair, his European record for Napoli and PSG reads; 59 apps, 37 goals. He also has 37 goals for Uruguay.

If Cavani had a slightly more clinical rate, we'd be talking about one of the best goalscorers of all time. 299 goals so far.
I think the Cavani at Napoli was a better player than the one we see now at PSG.

MiceOnMeth

I think the Cavani at Napoli was a better player than the one we see now at PSG.
Sanchez couldn't shine at Barca with Messi etc. Probably the same for Cavani playing second fiddle to Ibra at PSG. Sanchez is now main man at Arsenal and his performances reflect that, similar to Cavani at Napoli

m1y2

I dont care about his record, he's overrated and would struggle in the PL, he isn't better than say Jay Rodriguez, playing in a shit league for the best team in the country will always help him get good numbers

WhoDaGOAT

I dont care about his record, he's overrated and would struggle in the PL, he isn't better than say Jay Rodriguez, playing in a shit league for the best team in the country will always help him get good numbers
Jay feckin' Rodriguez. :lol:

Ligue 1 has supplied The PL with lots of players in recent years.

Trizy

His goal scoring record is insane, yet every time I've watched him he's missing sitters. It's baffling.

m1y2

Jay feckin' Rodriguez. :lol:

Ligue 1 has supplied The PL with lots of players in recent years.
Rodriguez was great before the horrible injury and he's only coming back now and starts firing again...

Sure some of them has been hit in the PL, but Cavani doesnt strike me as a player who would really thrive here.. Someone like Zlatan has some strength and technical ability on him
Payet is technically brilliant player, same goes for Mahrez.
Kante has incredible stamina and workrate
...just to name few who are success here but you could find many more for sure

Cavani doesnt have any of that and that's why I think he would struggle, he would be on Charlie Austin level, just a pure finisher, great player to the box