Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He has the vision and passing ability to play that role but he’s still a skinny kid. It would be a waste at this moment in time to have him sitting.
I agree, he'd be a great Pogba replacement if he did go, but if he stays I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree, he'd be a great Pogba replacement if he did go, but if he stays I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.
I think the stars are actually aligning on this one. He’s definitely the young midfielder I’ve wanted us to get as a long term investment. Who knows what will actually transpire but we have cash and space in the team and he wants to come to the PL so that’ll do for me for now :)

OleGunnar20

He's perfect for the double pivot, he excels at tackling and intercepting so probably could do just as good a job as a lone CDM once he's a few years older and wiser.
Don't think Ole wants a holding midfielder. He wants two all-round midfielders i.e Keane and Scholes. Think that's why he really wanted Bellingham or Caicedo.
Spot on on both counts. Guy looks tailor made for the all-action midfielder type Ole seems to be after.

Alemar

He can play together with Pogba, not instead of him. Great talent and exactly in the area we need to reinforce

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah he can, but he's not going to control a game from deep, he's more in the mould of Fred, McT or Pogba rather than a pivot that will sit and dictate games from deep, hence why I said he's similar to what we've got rather than an addition in something we're lacking.
Yes but you're speaking from the perspective of someone who wants that single holding midfielder. For all we know, Ole doesn't considering for 2.5 years he has played with a double pivot. And for that preferred formation someone like Camavinga seemingly fits.

Champagne Football

I think there's absolutely no chance he'll be coming in the summer, considering Garner is being earmarked for the same position.
I still think Donny will come good next season as a no. 8. If not then perhaps Milinkovic-Savic would be someone Ole might fancy.

Alemar

I think there's absolutely no chance he'll be coming in the summer, considering Garner is being earmarked for the same position.
How is it related? Garner is a young player who is doing well on loan in the Championship. Camavinga is a young star who already plays for French National team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We don't play with a 6 or a pure CDM, Ole wants both his CM's to be involved in both attack and defence, Camavinga is more than capable of that, he's extremely rounded.
Which is half the reason our midfield is so unbalanced with Bruno playing where and how he does, and Pogba shunted wide against better sides. I'm all for all rounded midfielders though but has to fit what we have

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Just like the Pogba + Fred midfield is overrun? I don't think so. Camavinga is energetic and speedy. Ain't gettin' overrun.
Yeah exactly like the Pogba and Fred midfield gets overrun, hence why any game we're going to have to defend at all we never see that midfield.

Yes but you're speaking from the perspective of someone who wants that single holding midfielder. For all we know, Ole doesn't considering for 2.5 years he has played with a double pivot. And for that preferred formation someone like Camavinga seemingly fits.
I'm more basing it on the fact Ole wanted Garner to develop into a similar player to Carrick, when in reality he could just as easily be another 2 way midfielder given the goals he scored in the youth set up, and has started to notch at Forest.

Devil may care

It all depends on the opposition mate. If we're playing a Bayern Munich, Liverpool or City, then say a midfield pairing of Bissouma and Camavinga could be deployed to play a more disciplined role in front of the defence. But most of our games will be against teams where we're expected to take the initiative. And in those games, it's important both our midfielders help advance the transition whether that be on the left or right side of the pitch.

So if Solskjaer wants to implement his high tempo, fast transition football with counter pressing/high pressing capabilities, (Which is a must) then the CBs have to play high up the pitch, with the two midfielders needing to contribute on the ball going forward and also provide defensively by being one of the three players, who will initiate the wide pressing trap on either side of the pitch. This is why I've said it's important he signs a CB with the correct attributes for that to come to fruition. I can't see that coming to fruition with our current CB pairing who are both deep block defenders.
I agree that if the plan is to stick with the double pivot then we need both midfielders to be capable on the ball otherwise we have an easy target in possession, it's like what Troy Deeney said about how Watford had the tactic of letting Fred have the ball as they knew it was a weakness they could exploit. I've never been a huge fan of pure DM's but I think one of our issues is how to fit Pogba into this system as ultimately Pogba is always going to be at his best in either 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 if he's the one in the midfield trio with attacking freedom, and that isn't going to work with Bruno in the mix.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree that if the plan is to stick with the double pivot then we need both midfielders to be capable on the ball otherwise we have an easy target in possession, it's like what Troy Deeney said about how Watford had the tactic of letting Fred have the ball as they knew it was a weakness they could exploit. I've never been a huge fan of pure DM's but I think one of our issues is how to fit Pogba into this system as ultimately Pogba is always going to be at his best in either 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 if he's the one in the midfield trio with attacking freedom, and that isn't going to work with Bruno in the mix.
The double pivot doesn't require a pure DM. We should target players who are adept at both defending and attacking in the double pivot IMO. So I do agree with what you're saying. And say we had a double pivot of Bissouma and Camavinga, that would allow us to transition play effectively from a deeper role compared to what we're seeing currently, and also give us flexibility as far as changing the formation goes, from a 2 man midfield to a 3 man midfield.

I also don't think Pogba suits playing in the double pivot, hence we see Fred and McTominay playing as a pair. And that's mainly due to our CBs not being strong in 1v1 duels higher up the pitch. So when people say our defence is fine, then also credit the McFred pairing who are baby-sitting the CBs.

So if Solskjaer wants to successfully implement his high tempo, high press, fast transition style, he needs to upgrade at CB, to strengthen the foundation of the team, which would create the conditions for him to implement his style of play. So that would free up the midfield to help cause overloads and provide the counter pressing option. So it makes sense to me as to why Solskjaer would prioritize the signing of a CB, if reports are to be believed from the likes of Ducker, Stone, Cooper etc.

Devil may care

The double pivot doesn't require a pure DM. We should target players who are adept at both defending and attacking in the double pivot IMO. So I do agree with what you're saying. And say we had a double pivot of Bissouma and Camavinga, that would allow us to transition play effectively from a deeper role compared to what we're seeing currently, and also give us flexibility as far as changing the formation goes, from a 2 man midfield to a 3 man midfield.

I also don't think Pogba suits playing in the double pivot, hence we see Fred and McTominay playing as a pair. And that's mainly due to our CBs not being strong in 1v1 duels higher up the pitch. So when people say our defence is fine, then also credit the McFred pairing who are baby-sitting the CBs.

So if Solskjaer wants to successfully implement his high tempo, high press, fast transition style, he needs to upgrade at CB, to strengthen the foundation of the team, which would create the conditions for him to implement his style of play. So that would free up the midfield to help cause overloads and provide the counter pressing option. So it makes sense to me as to why Solskjaer would prioritize the signing of a CB, if reports are to be believed from the likes of Ducker, Stone, Cooper etc.
I think we are on the same page mate, it feels like Ole wants two complete #8's in the double pivot, the big issue to remains what does he do with Pogba? He's had some good games off the left as a floating playmaker but I think we all know there's no future in that as Rashford is going to play there most of the time.

Only thing I can think of is Ole knows Rashford needs shoulder surgery after the Euros and might just keep Pogba for the first half of the season with a cut price sale in January and then we get a second midfielder for the double pivot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we are on the same page mate, it feels like Ole wants two complete #8's in the double pivot, the big issue to remains what does he do with Pogba? He's had some good games off the left as a floating playmaker but I think we all know there's no future in that as Rashford is going to play there most of the time.

Only thing I can think of is Ole knows Rashford needs shoulder surgery after the Euros and might just keep Pogba for the first half of the season with a cut price sale in January and then we get a second midfielder for the double pivot.
I'm a big believer in Pogba's talent. But his talent/ability isn't suited to playing in a double pivot, especially against quality opposition. So it might be best for all concerned, if we sell him and make a concerted effort for Camavinga or failing at that, maybe make a move for Florian Neuhaus, who might be available for £30m. Then we also have Hannibal Mejbri, who could potentially deputise for either Camavinga or Neuhaus and is also versatile enough to play as the mezzala on the left, if needs require.

Bojan Djordjic

Is he just not another Renato Sanches? Massively overhyped player

Those who have watched Camavinga regualrly is this guy the real deal?
Have you been following Renato Sanches this year or are you judging him on his time as a teenager at Bayern? He's been arguably the best midfielder in France this year.

arthurka

Have you been following Renato Sanches this year or are you judging him on his time as a teenager at Bayern? He's been arguably the best midfielder in France this year.
Renato is the poster boy for taking it step to far too soon. Camavinga will need to be careful here.

Bojan Djordjic

Camavingas talent is transitions from defence to attack

One of Uniteds weaknesses transitions from defence to attack

Would be a shrewd signing. Wonder what his asking price is

£45m apparntly
Surely t
Renato is the poster boy for taking it step to far too soon. Camavinga will need to be careful here.
I think his confidence was completely shattered at Swansea but he's tearing it up with Lille this season and is still only 23, a year younger than United's midfield "prospect" McTominay.

jesperjaap

Woukdnt agree from what I have seen of him. He seems to me a box to box player, which you could allude to of course with Pogba....but Pogba really isnt in terms of beign defensively sound, sure you could say he did it for France, but he really didnt need to defend much for them in that world cup anyway. Pogba is more an attacking midfielder. Just becaue he is technically sound, Camavinga is also good at breaking up play, if anything maybe not in playing style but in terms of role, he is more similar to Fred or McTominay.....Van de Beek is more similar to Pogba

jesperjaap

Exactly. Being the next Renato SAnches is hardly a bad thing. I still think he would of been a great signing for us. I just think he moved to the biggest and best squad in Europe a little too early and his confidence took an absolute dive because of it, you could see that when he was at Swansea his confidence and self belief was rock bottom. Glad to see him doing well again, though he was a little over hyped, no doubt for me he is still a big talent, he is still just 23 years old after all, James Garner is 20 and people are talking about him beign earmarked for the role as he had great experience playing in the championship.....yet slated Sanches and the experience he had got at a younger age, strange

jesperjaap

I'm a big believer in Pogba's talent. But his talent/ability isn't suited to playing in a double pivot, especially against quality opposition. So it might be best for all concerned, if we sell him and make a concerted effort for Camavinga or failing at that, maybe make a move for Florian Neuhaus, who might be available for £30m. Then we also have Hannibal Mejbri, who could potentially deputise for either Camavinga or Neuhaus and is also versatile enough to play as the mezzala on the left, if needs require.
I kind of agree. Though he hasnt had brilliant performances, since he has come back its one of his best spells in terms of consistently good performances. No coincidence most of those have been playing further forward.

Despite his obvious ability on the ball he can have a lot of sloppy moments and many a time playing further back it has caused us to be exposed as well as the fact he is poor at covering space or tracking runners often playing there. His better games there for me are when he has played with Matic, having a defensively sound and intelligent player next to him. Fred and McTominay may be good at breakign up play but neiter are defensively sound or intelligent.

Although we are a better team when he plays and he is obviously a talented player, his best positions are for me on the left or number 10. Having Fernandes and Rashford along with the value Pogba holds, the inconsistency for most of his time here, the social media and agent stuff.....I would sell him probably too.

Saying that I dont see Camavinga as a direct replacement, see him though a different style as more of a replacement for the role of Fred and McTominay and I dont think we need both. I would rather sell Pogba and Fred if we could get Camavinga and a Rice or a Kamara. Think we would have a much better balanced group of midfielders then to choose from both as a starting eleven and options from te bench as for me our midfield as a group has just never been right as a balanced group or quality wise as a whole long before Carrick retired, for me Camavinga would improve us in both areas

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think Arsenal will be getting any young French talents after the way they have managed Saliba and Guendouzi

croadyman

I don't think Arsenal will be getting any young French talents after the way they have managed Saliba and Guendouzi
Yeah hard to see him accepting a team who aren't in the Champions League unless they are willing to pay him Aubameyang like wages but maybe I will proved totally wrong on this

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Of course he's not joining Arsenal.

Why wasn't he playing in their last match? Injured or contract-standoff related?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Could be part of a good career plan. Join a mid table club where you'll play most weeks and get used to a top league, before moving on to a proper club at 21 or so. :eek:

croadyman

I think he’s going to end up here based on nothing only the stars aligning

i would be very surprised if he goes to Arsenal. Munich are supposedly interested too.
Presumably we are talking in a few years time

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely wouldn't be going there under Arteta. They had a decent box to box midfielder in Guendouzi and couldn't manage him.

jesperjaap

This thread is a bit laughable, have people actually seen him play?

He is arguably the most talented teenager in Europe at the moment. 18 and playing regularly for nearly two years now and already in the France squad. Different position of course but the likes of Fofana are struggling to get in the U21.

And people are saying he is similar to Fred and McTominay? He is a golden mile better than both of them at just 18, its like comparing Greenwood to Daniel James.

His timing of interceptions is also superb, he can most certainly play in a double pivot, he can defend, he can dictate play. He appears to have a superb attittude as well. Why are people talking of him as playing with Pogba in a double pivot when Pogba cant or only signing him as a replacement if Pogba goes when Pogbas only now performing out wide on the left....where Camavinga doesnt play.

ANd then "massivley over rated another Renato Sanches".....Sanches is still only 23...same age as James who is a development youg player apparently. He is also having a great season for Lille.

Of course like Sanches, Camavinga is very very young, there is no guarantee he can handle such a big move and different culture at such a young age, but christ, the ability he has, arguably the best youngster in Europe for £50m is a no brainer. Whether we are in for him and can get him is another matter as I expect just about every big side in Europe would liek to sign him this summer....and we are questioning the deal when our midfield obviously can be improved.....madness on here

croadyman

This thread is a bit laughable, have people actually seen him play?

He is arguably the most talented teenager in Europe at the moment. 18 and playing regularly for nearly two years now and already in the France squad. Different position of course but the likes of Fofana are struggling to get in the U21.

And people are saying he is similar to Fred and McTominay? He is a golden mile better than both of them at just 18, its like comparing Greenwood to Daniel James.

His timing of interceptions is also superb, he can most certainly play in a double pivot, he can defend, he can dictate play. He appears to have a superb attittude as well. Why are people talking of him as playing with Pogba in a double pivot when Pogba cant or only signing him as a replacement if Pogba goes when Pogbas only now performing out wide on the left....where Camavinga doesnt play.

ANd then "massivley over rated another Renato Sanches".....Sanches is still only 23...same age as James who is a development youg player apparently. He is also having a great season for Lille.

Of course like Sanches, Camavinga is very very young, there is no guarantee he can handle such a big move and different culture at such a young age, but christ, the ability he has, arguably the best youngster in Europe for £50m is a no brainer. Whether we are in for him and can get him is another matter as I expect just about every big side in Europe would liek to sign him this summer....and we are questioning the deal when our midfield obviously can be improved.....madness on here
Looking forward to seeing him properly in the summer at The Euros as presume he is in their squad

croadyman

I can see us going for him this summer. If we were in for Bellingham I think Camavinga would be another we are surely looking at. He’s going into his last year of contract and the big hitters in Europe are skint. It’s now or never and I think it may just happen.
I just feel like Rice is the only name on the table for the club even though this guy should be there as well, so how many do you think we are going to bring in this summer just out of interest

jesperjaap

Looking forward to seeing him properly in the summer at The Euros as presume he is in their squad
Well I am pretty certain he will make the squad even with all the central midfielders they have. How much we see of him on the pitch this summer is another thing though. Littel doubt he will be a main stay within a short period of time

Spot on on both counts. Guy looks tailor made for the all-action midfielder type Ole seems to be after.
He's box-to-box, isn't he? He is really good at dribbling and scores quite a few goals. I'm not sure you'd want to play him in midfield with Pogba and Bruno, especially when he's about 18 and new to the league - he'd get swamped. For this season we need a really confident sitter, someone who could play next to Pogba in easier games and cover the whole of midfield.

I'd love to sign Camavinga, but I just think he is too similar to players we already have in the squad, and spending loads on him now would not be good for the balance of the squad. He might make a good replacement for/long term upgrade on McTominay, but we're not selling Scott and we have too many midfielders already.

Status
Not open for further replies.