Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Another balancing issue is smithing stones. Finding level 3 basic ones, then unlocking the shop is absolutely crap how far into the game you have to get. You naturally find so many more 4/5/6 along the way.

You won't notice it if you only use one or maybe 2 standard weapons, but if you experiment, then the balance is well off and misses one of the best things about the souls game and that is any weapon is capable. Well not in this if you like mixing it up.
yeah the smithing stones are weird. There are also so many sombre ones which makes no sense yet I always have a shortage of normal ones. I've had the Bloodhound's Fang (sombre) up to +9 for absolutely ages yet I'm still stuck on level 7 smithing stones for the twin blades (regular) because they're so hard to get. And all I've unlocked at the shop so far is up to +4 even though I'm level 110 :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
yeah the smithing stones are weird. There are also so many sombre ones which makes no sense yet I always have a shortage of normal ones. I've had the Bloodhound's Fang (sombre) up to +9 for absolutely ages yet I'm still stuck on level 7 smithing stones for the twin blades (regular) because they're so hard to get. And all I've unlocked at the shop so far is up to +4 even though I'm level 110 :lol:
I just looked for ages to get one of my swords to +17. It required 4 Smithing Stone 6’s. They seem so rare but I finally got four. Next upgrade? 6 Smithing Stone 6’s.

I need a dragon somber stone to upgrade my bloodhound fang now though.

Massive Spanner

I just looked for ages to get one of my swords to +17. It required 4 Smithing Stone 6’s. They seem so rare but I finally got four. Next upgrade? 6 Smithing Stone 6’s.

The fang or any somber weapon at +9 is the equivalent to a regular weapon at +24 which is mad cause I've been able to get like 3 sombre weapons to +9 by now and I think my highest regular (twin blade) is +17.

Kaos

Another balancing issue is smithing stones. Finding level 3 basic ones, then unlocking the shop is absolutely crap how far into the game you have to get. You naturally find so many more 4/5/6 along the way.

You won't notice it if you only use one or maybe 2 standard weapons, but if you experiment, then the balance is well off and misses one of the best things about the souls game and that is any weapon is capable. Well not in this if you like mixing it up.
Oh yeah this wound me up to no end. Made me feel like my quality build was utterly pointless considering the appeal of it was being able to try almost every weapon I looted. They should have at least given the option of being able to salvage the stones from unused weapons.

SuperiorXI

I'm also stuck on the 6x6, they're a bastard to find... hoping to come across a mine soon.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is Mountain top of the giants supposed to be so brutal?

I'm level 110 with 42 vigor and getting bent over by basic mobs. I thought I would have been overlevelled but for whatever reason there's a huge difficulty spike compared to Lyndell where I beat the bosses first time and made light work of everything else.
The amount of health on these mobs is mental too. My Ruins Greatsword +9 needs like 8 hits to kill them.

Pronewbie

Peep
The amount of health on these mobs is mental too. My Ruins Greatsword +9 needs like 8 hits to kill them.
Yeah there's a power spike there, but definitely adaptable.. Your levels should suffice. I did use the OP Moonveil +9 for that area though. By the way, vigor doesn't scale very well past 40 so I wore the life boost amulet (+2) and radogan's soreseal to get by..

Alternatively, you could head to the sewers in the Royal Capital first (there may have been an NPC that hinted for you to visit the area). I had no idea how much optional end game content there is until I defeated the final boss and decided to explore. 10+ hours later and I've yet to explore the top-most part of the map! Maybe that's why the Mountaintop of the Giants felt more difficult.

I've also uncovered 2 alternative endings so far.

Last edited:

Kaos

Yeah there's a power spike there, but definitely adaptable.. Your levels should suffice. I did use the OP Moonveil +9 for that area though. By the way, vigor doesn't scale very well past 40 so I wore the life boost amulet (+2) and radogan's soreseal to get by..
Was this pre or post nerf? That's exactly what I'm using at the moment along with a +9 Lusat's staff. Place still feels overtuned.

Kaos

Yeah you won't get those until end game essentially.

Massive Spanner

Is Mountain top of the giants supposed to be so brutal?

I'm level 110 with 42 vigor and getting bent over by basic mobs. I thought I would have been overlevelled but for whatever reason there's a huge difficulty spike compared to Lyndell where I beat the bosses first time and made light work of everything else.
those mobs are the ruins that spew massive arcs of frost at you suck balls, they were ruining me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just run away. There’s only one candle on the ground anyway. Apparently there’s a torch you can buy somewhere that will let you see invisible enemies.

Either way, get ready, the next area is far more annoying.
So yeah, that tree area can also go feck itself. After 10 min I shut down my PS. I am debating if I am going to uninstall the stupid game.

Pronewbie

Peep
Was this pre or post nerf? That's exactly what I'm using at the moment along with a +9 Lusat's staff. Place still feels overtuned.
I edited my post and suggested you check out the sewers in the Royal Capital if you’re up for exploring more of the optional late-game areas that I’d missed prior to defeating the final boss. That way the power curve will feel more organic.
You can google up Subterranean Shunning Grounds for the exact location

Ha! I was using the same weapons for that area pre and post-nerf. The lack of posture damage may mean that it’s less broken now but the weapon art is still very, very strong. Prior to that I was dual wielding katanas but using the less broken Uchigatana on my right hand. The power spike made me remove my gloves.

Last edited:

Siorac

I found that it's much easier to experiment with special weapons as there's quite a lot of somber smithing stones available and of course each upgrade level only takes one. Also, you can immediately buy a few up until level 4 I think from Iji.

Siorac

Oh yeah this wound me up to no end. Made me feel like my quality build was utterly pointless considering the appeal of it was being able to try almost every weapon I looted. They should have at least given the option of being able to salvage the stones from unused weapons.
You know, I went with a quality build with the same reasoning but found like 80% of the weapons have Faith or Intelligence or Arcane requirements and scaling.

Kaos

You know, I went with a quality build with the same reasoning but found like 80% of the weapons have Faith or Intelligence or Arcane requirements and scaling.
Yeah that was another bugbear of mine. It feels like the game wants you go to down the hybrid route.

Irwin99

Went and got Rivers of blood to level 10 for the Malenia fight and then realised it scales with dex :lol: :( . What a waste of time that was when i'm a faith/strength build.

On a related note, feck that boss and her cheap one shot move.

Kaos

Went and got Rivers of blood to level 10 for the Malenia fight and then realised it scales with dex :lol: :( . What a waste of time that was when i'm a faith/strength build.

On a related note, feck that boss and her cheap one shot move.
I mean it is a bleed weapon, with the clue being in the name :lol:

Irwin99

I mean it is a bleed weapon, with the clue being in the name :lol:
Yeah, I'm just so desperate to beat THAT boss i was not thinking; i heard it was a good to weapon to use in that fight.

Feck that phase 2 part.. She also seems to get health heals from BLOCKED attacks which seems BS to me. Fair enough, if you take my health bar and heal from that but not when I've legitimately stopped your attack.

Nickosaur

I'm at lvl 25 at the moment and i've been putting points into Vigor, Endurance, Strength and Dexterity... is this too broad?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm at lvl 25 at the moment and i've been putting points into Vigor, Endurance, Strength and Dexterity... is this too broad?
I'm level 45 and have been doing the same. Getting my shit pushed in at Mount Gelmir but I'm probably not supposed to be here, to be honest. I'm going back to Liurnia.

Kaos

Nah, that’s a classic quality build. Make sure you’re using the bloodhound fang, it’s perfect for that build.

Siorac

I'm level 45 and have been doing the same. Getting my shit pushed in at Mount Gelmir but I'm probably not supposed to be here, to be honest. I'm going back to Liurnia.
Level 45 at Mount Gelmir? Sheesh. That's just plain masochism.

Massive Spanner

You should push vigor and endurance early on at least as it really helps when you are learning the ropes. Endurance caps out at 30 so from then on just focus on strength/Dec. Whatever one is the higher grade for the weapon you use really.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Waltzed up to some Fire Giant dude, got in my customary 'f*ck you up hello' first 3 hits and I swear the health bar barely fell.

I genuinely think I could hit him with the entirety of my flasks of FP and not kill him. Hrm.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Went back and killed the ulcerated tree spirit from the freefolk heroes grave right at the start. Very satisfying.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What are those blue enemies with the disks north of Chelonia’s Rise? I took down a dragon right before them but when I attacked I barely made a dent.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Altus Plateau is a lovely change of pace. Things are less horrid for now after Caelid and the Lake Of Rot.

Kaos

Waltzed up to some Fire Giant dude, got in my customary 'f*ck you up hello' first 3 hits and I swear the health bar barely fell.

I genuinely think I could hit him with the entirety of my flasks of FP and not kill him. Hrm.
Yeah I think I'm just going to Comet Azur him into the next game and move on quickly. Feck this shit zone.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So I rolled an Astrologer and so far I’ve only played a few hours and not really focused on progressing, just exploring the world and killing random things before being killed rinse and repeat.

I’ve got a day off on Monday and have permission to spend the entire day playing this so I’m going to do exactly that but want to start getting levelled up and building my character. Anyone have any advice on where to go and what to do first? If anyone knows of any good guides that would be cool too.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So I rolled an Astrologer and so far I’ve only played a few hours and not really focused on progressing, just exploring the world and killing random things before being killed rinse and repeat.

I’ve got a day off on Monday and have permission to spend the entire day playing this so I’m going to do exactly that but want to start getting levelled up and building my character. Anyone have any advice on where to go and what to do first? If anyone knows of any good guides that would be cool too.
Fextralife wiki is normally on point for tips and walkthroughs.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm dual wielding colossal swords (Ruins +9 and Greatsword +20) now. Granted, Im practically naked to avoid fatrolling, but everything just dies if I so much as look at em.

Siorac

What are those blue enemies with the disks north of Chelonia’s Rise? I took down a dragon right before them but when I attacked I barely made a dent.
Crystalians? Lanky dickheads with weird movement?

If it's those, then you need a blunt weapon. Mace, hammer, club, something of that sort.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Crystalians? Lanky dickheads with weird movement?

If it's those, then you need a blunt weapon. Mace, hammer, club, something of that sort.
Yeah I just fought a couple of boss ones after realising those burnt looking bits on the map are mines. Jumping attacks seemed to work.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Are these bell bearing cnuts supposed to be like super bosses or something? The one in Limgrave is way harder than anything else here.

Mercurial

Beware that the dragon ones are limited in quantity and need a new game plus to exceed 7(8) somber dragon ones. For all up to +9 & +24 you have unlimited from twin maiden shop via bell bearings.