Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Gone back to the Selia Crystal Tunnel to find some smithing stones and man it feels good to destroy everything in there :lol: I was getting battered when I first got transported there.

Siorac

NG+ balance is completely whack :lol:

The final bosses of the main game seem to be balanced around level 120-140 - but at that level, the early part of NG+ is hilariously dumb. Remember the Soldier of Godrick 'bossfight' in the tutorial? That's Rennala in NG+.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I was at Liurnia and kept going north, north, north and now I'm at the Volcano Manor. Level 45.

Just before Rya transported me to the Manor that I was at the bonfire/grace and talked to Melina, she was talking like end-game stuff was up ahead so I think I'll steer clear of there.

Irwin99

I can see why Malenia is pissing off so many people. 5 attempts and annihilated each time.

Anyone beat her yet? Have heard she's the toughest boss of the game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just got to a place called Mt Gelmir at level 91... feel like maybe I should have came earlier?
Yeah I’d already done all the underground bits and Rannis quest line and was close to 90 too and it was total piss compared to the lake of rot.

I still haven’t met a boss since maybe Margit that took me more than 4 or 5 goes but I’ve heard the late game bosses are a big difficulty spike so here’s hoping. I’m in the mountain top of the giants now and the enemies definitely seem a big step up.

Siorac

I can see why Malenia is pissing off so many people. 5 attempts and annihilated each time.

Anyone beat her yet? Have heard she's the toughest boss of the game.
Mimic +10 because feck her. Her Waterfowl Dance is absurd, especially combined with her healing. 'i aM mAleNia, blAdE of MiqUella' - feck off.

Killing her gives you 480k runes though so that's nice.

Irwin99

Mimic +10 because feck her. Her Waterfowl Dance is absurd, especially combined with her healing. 'i aM mAleNia, blAdE of MiqUella' - feck off.

Killing her gives you 480k runes though so that's nice.
I think that's pre-nerf mimic though? :( I don't know how to dodge that insta-kill attack- ridiculously tough to plan your fight around avoiding that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought Volcano Manor was the northern most point of the game, I get the map of the area and another giant chunk gets added above it!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also I have no idea where this ulcerated tree spirit is some have been going on about.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Been on the journey with soulborne game, started with Sekiro ending with Demon Souls I went the opposite way, but can't wait for this one.

Woodzy

I think that's pre-nerf mimic though? :( I don't know how to dodge that insta-kill attack- ridiculously tough to plan your fight around avoiding that.
I googled yesterday and it can be dodged with impeccable timing apparently, but tbh she doesn’t do the attack that often so for me it was just a case of getting lucky and hoping I can feck her up before she manages to do it, or at the very least mimic soaks it all up while I keep my distance.

Drainy

Also I have no idea where this ulcerated tree spirit is some have been going on about.
It's past the Lake of Rot, you find a new site of grace and the area is full of the prawn monsters and a river runs though it.

The ulcerated tree spirit is in the 'waterfall' connected to the Lake of Rot from memory

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Just got to a place called Mt Gelmir at level 91... feel like maybe I should have came earlier?
:lol: Yep. Same happened to me

I came in from the south the first time and could not figue out where to go, so i just left and did other stuff. Honestly though, i think most of the post-Caelid zones could have been a bit harder. As i imagine most players will be in the 100-120 range by then and getting pretty close to some of the stat "breakpoints" as well as having one or two weapons close to max

Siorac

No, I did it with post-nerf Mimic. It helps if you have high Vigor - makes your Mimic tankier.

The Waterfowl Dance can be dodged but you have to be a gaming god to do it. You can:

- Run away from the first two flurries if you are relatively far from her when she starts it, and then dodge towards her for the next two.
- Block the first with a shield and then dodge into her. Of course blocking still heals her and if you don't have a greatshield there's a good chance it'll break your guard.

And of course it comes out super quick and it tracks you. It's one of the most awful moves in any Souls game ever.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's past the Lake of Rot, you find a new site of grace and the area is full of the prawn monsters and a river runs though it.

The ulcerated tree spirit is in the 'waterfall' connected to the Lake of Rot from memory
Oh I found that area with the prawns but didn’t see the spirit. Must’ve missed it. Will go back.

largelyworried

I've encountered two of them. One in the depths of Stormveil (there is no boss bar for this one) and the other in Mount Gelmir.
Also another one in the Folk Heros grave, behind the Stonesword Key fog wall, right at the very start of the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pretty sure you can't skip Stormveil or The Academy but you can definitely skip Radahn and Caelid and go straight to the royal capital dungeon, as I know someone who accidentally did that. Not sure after that. So it's not as skippable as BOTW but a lot is.

Doesn't the guy at the roundtable hold say to collect 2 great runes (out of 5) to progress or something?
I did that. On the plus side, when you actually manage to clear part of the capital you gain like 30 levels by the huge amount of runes and when you go to Radahn after you can laugh at him while beating him to a bloody pulp with ypur massive +20 hammer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn’t realise Redmane castle was different in the day. When I first got there it was basically empty. Very surprised to come back in the day after Radahn and find multiple enemies plus two bosses at once :lol:

Siorac

Didn’t realise Redmane castle was different in the day. When I first got there it was basically empty. Very surprised to come back in the day after Radahn and find multiple enemies plus two bosses at once :lol:
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the day/night cycle - the castle gets populated once you kill Radahn.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the day/night cycle - the castle gets populated once you kill Radahn.
I went back at night to find a smithing stone and it was dead. Also no boss fight. Changed to day and it was all there suddenly.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Radahn's castle is actually only empty if you're progressing Ranni and Blaidd's quest to the point where Blaidd clears it out for you before you get there. Pretty sure if you go before you get that far that it's full of enemies again.

Pronewbie

Peep
Just completed the game on the PS5. I enjoyed it so much that the frame drops I'm usually sensitive to didn't bother me 1 bit. First open world game other than the GTA series that didn't feel like an errand simulator.

Shark

@NotShark
Just completed the game on the PS5. I enjoyed it so much that the frame drops I'm usually sensitive to didn't bother me 1 bit. First open world game other than the GTA series that didn't feel like an errand simulator.
VRR is finally coming to PS5 next software update..

Kaos

Is Mountain top of the giants supposed to be so brutal?

I'm level 110 with 42 vigor and getting bent over by basic mobs. I thought I would have been overlevelled but for whatever reason there's a huge difficulty spike compared to Lyndell where I beat the bosses first time and made light work of everything else.

Siorac

Is Mountain top of the giants supposed to be so brutal?

I'm level 110 with 42 vigor and getting bent over by basic mobs. I thought I would have been overlevelled but for whatever reason there's a huge difficulty spike compared to Lyndell where I beat the bosses first time and made light work of everything else.
The sad truth is that 42 Vigor at the endgame is nothing, you will get one- or two-shot by plenty of enemies, even regular mobs. The endgame damage is, in my humble opinion, drastically overtuned and it makes learning fights... not much fun. At 40 Vigor, one mistake against Malenia or Maliketh kills you right away.

Siorac

I went back at night to find a smithing stone and it was dead. Also no boss fight. Changed to day and it was all there suddenly.
Radahn's castle is actually only empty if you're progressing Ranni and Blaidd's quest to the point where Blaidd clears it out for you before you get there. Pretty sure if you go before you get that far that it's full of enemies again.
Yeah I checked the wiki and it's about the quest. I was half right though, you can repopulate the castle after defeating Radahn.

Kaos

The sad truth is that 42 Vigor at the endgame is nothing, you will get one- or two-shot by plenty of enemies, even regular mobs. The endgame damage is, in my humble opinion, drastically overtuned and it makes learning fights... not much fun. At 40 Vigor, one mistake against Malenia or Maliketh kills you right away.
Ahh, that’s not good.

I was going to try and finish the final stretch of the game with a meme Guts great sword build, but guess I’ll just be comet azur nuking everything instead.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Another balancing issue is smithing stones. Finding level 3 basic ones, then unlocking the shop is absolutely crap how far into the game you have to get. You naturally find so many more 4/5/6 along the way.

You won't notice it if you only use one or maybe 2 standard weapons, but if you experiment, then the balance is well off and misses one of the best things about the souls game and that is any weapon is capable. Well not in this if you like mixing it up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What the feck is that one shot move from the glintstone dragon near the cathedral. Some of the moves are a joke sometimes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I fought the ulcerated tree spirit last night and beat him. It was the one at Mt Gelmir. He was ruining me at first, but then I just stuck really close to his left side and that seemed to have done the trick. When you see him wind up for that lunge he does, just roll. It's fairly easy when you start doing that as opposed to keeping your distance, which is what I was doing initially.

Also, I think I may have arrived in this area too soon. I'm level 55.