Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Kaos

The feck is death blighted?
Its a status effect that builds up like poison and rot, the difference being that once it completely fills up, you're dead. Its a feckin nightmare, and it makes those googly eyed shrimp things the scariest mobs in the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No matter how hard I try I just can’t play this for any more than an hour or two at a time. It’s just so bloody repetitive that I don’t understand how some of you are playing so much. Finally beat Margit anyway but I was vastly over-levelled so it wasn’t too bad.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Its a status effect that builds up like poison and rot, the difference being that once it completely fills up, you're dead. Its a feckin nightmare, and it makes those googly eyed shrimp things the scariest mobs in the game.
Yeah the lake of rot can get fecked.

Kaos

Yeah the lake of rot can get fecked.
Tip for that place. If you have the faith, get an incantation called Fire cleanse me or something, it cures scarlet rot. If you don't have the faith see if you've got a talisman that boosts your faith. It was literally the only way I was able to tolerate that place. Alternatively you can buy/craft some consumable that cures it (pulsing bollases? Can't remember), but couldn't be fecked for that. I just rushed in, did the bit I needed to do for a quest, and fecked off.

I'll come back when I'm disgustingly overlevelled just to one shot the ulcerated fecker to the next game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just put in the cheesiest Souls victory ever when I beat the black blade gargoyle thing that stands in front of the church in Caelid. Kept hiding in the church and waited for him to get bored and return to his original position before attacking him again and then running away. Rinse and repeat. Took 15 minutes but it was worth it :D

Think I've done everything on the map except the castle and whatever is north of there.
I’m doing the same right now. No room for pride in this game!

Kaos

That's what I'm building towards. Lady Maria from Bloodborne. The build won't be complete until I have the Fashion Souls too. I need a Bloodborne hat, there better be one somewhere.
Just wear the confessor drip. Think a merchant in Mt Gelmir sells the whole set.

atkar83

Right now I'm going with a dual greatsword style (the greatsword and the other one you get early from that camp), I've upped both of them to +7 and they're serving me well enough. The jump attack is working really well. I also have a bloodhound fang though, although I haven't used it I have it up to +3 because the runes were available to me. Would it, along with the blood attack it does be more effective going forward instead of the dual greatswords?

My biggest issue is people sniping me with magic from afar...I don't really have a way to fight back other than those daggers you can throw, and I hate using the Bow. But that'll be a problem if I do the bloodhound fang or the greatswords

Kaos

Right now I'm going with a dual greatsword style (the greatsword and the other one you get early from that camp), I've upped both of them to +7 and they're serving me well enough. The jump attack is working really well. I also have a bloodhound fang though, although I haven't used it I have it up to +3 because the runes were available to me. Would it, along with the blood attack it does be more effective going forward instead of the dual greatswords?

My biggest issue is people sniping me with magic from afar...I don't really have a way to fight back other than those daggers you can throw, and I hate using the Bow. But that'll be a problem if I do the bloodhound fang or the greatswords
If you want to powerstance the bloodhound fang you'll need another curved greatsword. It won't work with a standard greatsword. But otherwise its a brilliant weapon and its weapon art alone is one of the best in the game. As for the bleed effect, it won't proc too much on its own, but if you dual wield it with another curved greatsword and stick a passive bleed ash of war on it, then you'll be laughing. But tbh two greatswords work fine in this game too.

As for ranged options as full melee, honestly just stock up on kukris. They scale well with strength, are fast, do a surprisingly fair bit of damage, and are infinite (think they're sold by a merchant in castle morne). If you've levelled up faith as well you can just use the lightning strike incantation too.

Kaos

Putrid Avatar in Caelid. Pointless even trying.
Seems hard at first but honestly isn't that tough. The trick is when he jumps up to do his butt slam, dodge to the side of him and then get behind him. His scarlet rot spread only sprays to the front of him. When he starts casting his lightning bolts just start running sideways (watch out for his swings) and you'll dodge him. Otherwise let your ash summon do most the work. But stay close to him and on foot, he's one of those outside bosses that are harder on horseback.

He's well worth killing btw, drops a shit ton of runes.

Irwin99

Anybody beaten the four optional demigods yet? Struggling on the first one i've met- If he has a phase 2 then i'm out, there's no way i can do this :lol:

Any advice on the best summon in the game? I know mimic just got nerfed but i've not been paying attention to my summons as much as i should.

Generally I call either the skeleton guy that respawns, the hawk or those weird bowmen brothers. Have tons more but have just not invested in them.

Mercurial

Anybody beaten the four optional demigods yet? Struggling on the first one i've met- If he has a phase 2 then i'm out, there's no way i can do this :lol:

Any advice on the best summon in the game? I know mimic just got nerfed but i've not been paying attention to my summons as much as i should.

Generally I call either the skeleton guy that respawns, the hawk or those weird bowmen brothers. Have tons more but have just not invested in them.
Put shabri amulet on, it makes mobs aggro you, then summon the mimic, then remove shabri off yourself and you have a super good tank vs bosses since the mimic spawns woth the setup you had at moment of the call. Not sure if this is cheese or intended but the amulet makes the mimic aggro a lot better. Upgrade it to minimum +9 preferably +10.

Knight Oleg is great tanky and Rollo is great on breaking stances.

Aggro amulet on yourself all the time and Lataenna works great too as you kite and she snipes.

Woodzy

Is this Radahn? If so, just focusing on keeping your distance and letting the spawns do the work. And yes, there is a phase 2 and I will say no more.

b82REZ

Yeah I just kept my distance and summoned everyone. Only attacked when his back was turned and swiftly got out of there again.
I just stayed really close to him. His attacks were telegraphed and as long as you stayed under him he couldn't hit you.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Radahn was nerfed massively in the patch. I wouldn't say he was easy pre-patch but he wasn't overly difficult. Took me 4 or 5 goes.

Woodzy

Radahn was nerfed massively in the patch. I wouldn't say he was easy pre-patch but he wasn't overly difficult. Took me 4 or 5 goes.
I took a lot more than that but once you realise you don't really need to do much attacking yourself it's easy.

Maliketh was the hardest boss for me, closely followed by the final boss. Yet to try Malenia, but had a friend that beat her last night and said she wasn't overly difficult.

SuperiorXI

I'm stuck at the gargoyles, they're honestly causing me not want to play. I hate bosses like this... the Demons from the depths below in DS3 I also could never get past... duo bosses seem to be my Achilles heel.

b82REZ

I'm stuck at the gargoyles, they're honestly causing me not want to play. I hate bosses like this... the Demons from the depths below in DS3 I also could never get past... duo bosses seem to be my Achilles heel.
I've been struggling against these as well. They seem pretty easy until their bullshit poison attack

SuperiorXI

I've been struggling against these as well. They seem pretty easy until their bullshit poison attack
I keep getting wrecked by the other one as they tend to move off camera. They each have a move that one-shots me as well. That poison cloud is a joke, it can hit you even if it looks like it wont.

RedRoach

So I started out hating this game having similar struggles to others and never having played the souls franchise before. Like others I was finding it impossibly hard. A few realizations have made me start really enjoying the game:

1. If you are getting your ass handed to you in an area and keep dying no matter how hard you try, then the area is not for you, simply go somewhere else until your level is higher and you are able to deal with the area. Repeated dying seems to be the games way of telling you this area is not yet for you, or you don't have the necessary tools (poison cure, rot cure etc.) to deal with it yet.
2. Normally I don't like spoilers, however sometimes you find an item and you are like WTF is this and what am I supposed to do with this and Google has been invaluable. The game doesn't do a good job of telling what you what to do, perhaps by design and it is just like here is some stuff and figure it out. There is no point fighting this it is the way it is.
3. You need to learn the fighting mechanic early as the block then stagger then critical combo is super important to deal with harder foes. Until I understood backstabs, rolls and the combos I was having a hard time.
4. This perhaps not the game for completionists, and you don't need to kill everything. Many times it is better to just avoid a fight. I kept trying to kill this damn crab which battered me again and again rather just riding past it with the horse and saving myself for a better day.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I started out hating this game having similar struggles to others and never having played the souls franchise before. Like others I was finding it impossibly hard. A few realizations have made me start really enjoying the game:

1. If you are getting your ass handed to you in an area and keep dying no matter how hard you try, then the area is not for you, simply go somewhere else until your level is higher and you are able to deal with the area. Repeated dying seems to be the games way of telling you this area is not yet for you, or you don't have the necessary tools (poison cure, rot cure etc.) to deal with it yet.
2. Normally I don't like spoilers, however sometimes you find an item and you are like WTF is this and what am I supposed to do with this and Google has been invaluable. The game doesn't do a good job of telling what you what to do, perhaps by design and it is just like here is some stuff and figure it out. There is no point fighting this it is the way it is.
3. You need to learn the fighting mechanic early as the block then stagger then critical combo is super important to deal with harder foes. Until I understood backstabs, rolls and the combos I was having a hard time.
4. This perhaps not the game for completionists, and you don't need to kill everything. Many times it is better to just avoid a fight. I kept trying to kill this damn crab which battered me again and again rather just riding past it with the horse and saving myself for a better day.
I struggle with this bit a lot. I can't really pass an area without knowing I've bested the creature there first, at least once because obviously they respawn once you rest.

However twice I've just said feck that and moved past them. The big hands in Caria Manor and then the Death Blight gecko cnuts near the lake of rot.

EDIT: Oh also that big fox in the hidden city above Sofria.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I genuinely think the Black Knife Tiche is the best ash summon in the game now post the patch nerf to the Mimic. The fecker doesn't wait around and just charges straight for the boss the second you hit summon :lol:. They do insane damage too, and proc bleed quite often. Got mine to +10 and its putting my mimic buddy to shame.

Granted it takes a shit ton of FP to use (around 132!) and is quite hard to get, but I haven't touched my mimic since.
Yeah. Tiche is pretty mental, that ranged attack he(she?) performs does a fecktonne of damage

Bobcat

First 2 hours so far so obviously I've done/seen feck all, except a lot of running away. Done some of the key stuff like being able to level up, summon that horse/ox thing, and cleared that camp outside the castle by luring out each soldier :lol: took fecking ages but got all the loot there.

Ashes of war are things you can apply to your weapons to gain a special attack, is that right? Is it best saving that for a better weapon? I started as a Vagabond so just have the starting sword/shield etc.
You can switch them on and off as you like so no point in "saving" them. You can only have one Ash on one weapon though, unless you get several copies of the same one

Bobcat

Ok I just annihilated Morgott too and he's definitely supposed to be tough so I must be way over levelled :lol:
Both me and my brother took him down easily first time. Both of us spent a long time exploring all of Limgrave, Lurnia and Caelid, so by the time we hit Altus and Leyndell we pretty much blew through the whole area. Seems you had a similar progression.

I know getting the balance right in these kind of games must be incredibly hard, but honestly i think FROM fecked up a little here. Its a sprawling open world begging to be explored, so they must have anticipated that players would do that before venturing into a new area

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just hit level 110 and tbh am having a bit of a wobble if I'm going to finish. Heard of the nightmares peopel have with some of hte later bosses and see the pain of the higher level 'normal' enemies and am curious if it's worth it. Definitely got my money's worth, am somewhat tempted to watch the story unfold rather than suffer areas like the lake of rot...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just hit level 110 and tbh am having a bit of a wobble if I'm going to finish. Heard of the nightmares peopel have with some of hte later bosses and see the pain of the higher level 'normal' enemies and am curious if it's worth it. Definitely got my money's worth, am somewhat tempted to watch the story unfold rather than suffer areas like the lake of rot...
I'm at Lake of Rot at level 82.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
should be fine, other than the ulcerated tree spirit the bosses aren't that bad, it's just the fecking rot itself that's awful.
Am I supposed to just run in it and jump out before I'm afflicted? I managed to get a platform up but the deathgeckos emerged and fecked me up so I left.

I can't even remember why I'm meant to be in there.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Am I supposed to just run in it and jump out before I'm afflicted? I managed to get a platform up but the deathgeckos emerged and fecked me up so I left.

you need to beat the boss at the end of it for Ranni's questline, have you been following that? There's also some good loot there.

I found it pretty much impossible not to get afflicted at certain parts so I tried to stock up on the boluses to heal.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
you need to beat the boss at the end of it for Ranni's questline, have you been following that? There's also some good loot there.

I found it pretty much impossible not to get afflicted at certain parts so I tried to stock up on the boluses to heal.
Yeah she's a doll and after I killed the shadowbane she toodled off.

Woodzy

Unless I missed like half the area then am I right in saying there is feck all in the Lake of Rot area? Why are people having such a hard time with it?

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I struggle with this bit a lot. I can't really pass an area without knowing I've bested the creature there first, at least once because obviously they respawn once you rest.

However twice I've just said feck that and moved past them. The big hands in Caria Manor and then the Death Blight gecko cnuts near the lake of rot.

EDIT: Oh also that big fox in the hidden city above Sofria.
These feckers really took me off guard because they felt really overtuned for the area they were in: really erratic movement patterns, incredibly hard to block (at least for my dex/int mid build) or to stagger and hit like a truck. And they were everywhere in that courtyard. I basically brute forced my way through there with Summons and never set foot into that yard after getting the grace inside the building. I thought the area was just beyond my level back then but I one shot the boss :lol:

There are really some enemies in the field that just are not worth the trouble trying to kill them and are better off being ignored.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
These feckers really took me off guard because they felt really overtuned for the area they were in: really erratic movement patterns, incredibly hard to block (at least for my dex/int mid build) or to stagger and hit like a truck. And they were everywhere in that courtyard. I basically brute forced my way through there with Summons and never set foot into that yard after getting the grace inside the building. I thought the area was just beyond my level back then but I one shot the boss :lol:

There are really some enemies in the field that just are not worth the trouble trying to kill them and are better off being ignored.
My stubbornness gets in the way of this though :lol: I make mental notes of areas where I plan to go back and destroy them once leveled.

I went back to the beach south of the start point at Level 63 and obliterated the land octopus thing there because it fecked me up when I was Level 5.

Kaos

You need spells/consumables to beat the rot.

Preserving boluses are what you want. You can buy them, or craft them (armorers craftbook 6 I think? Its found in the siofra well). Just beeline it for the platforms and consume the boluses to get rid of the rot affliction. Don't bother with the gecko feckers.

Alternatively cast the Flame, Cleanse me incantation if you have it.

Kaos

Unless I missed like half the area then am I right in saying there is feck all in the Lake of Rot area? Why are people having such a hard time with it?
You need to get through it for an important questline - it gives you access to the south west portion of Liurnia too. Otherwise the boss there drops a golden seed, and you can get a somber smithing stone [9] on the large raised platforms.

SuperiorXI

I keep getting wrecked by the other one as they tend to move off camera. They each have a move that one-shots me as well. That poison cloud is a joke, it can hit you even if it looks like it wont.
I got them!

For those struggling with the Valiant Gargoyle using melee builds, the Blood Slash ash of war does some really good damage to them. Stay close to the legs and roll (I've found left to be the best direction) when they finally attack (they have annoying delayed attacks you'll need to learn). There are a few good windows to get one slash off, but then back off again and wait for another opening.

I died as I killed the twinblade one but it still registered! Excellent.