Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Gave it another try over weekend, accumulated a total of 15 hours and already sold it today. Just not for me, not even close. I understand how some may like it but it's literally the complete opposite of what I enjoy in games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think what they could look at is some of the NPCs and how we interact with them. Maybe flesh them out, and make them a little more easy to deal with without having to consult a guide. I think the open world format has really emphasised that weakness of the game in that it is so easy to miss them. It always has been but in Elden Ring the story arcs become very broken up, if they even get found.

Personally I really, really dislike the use of guides in a first playthrough because it completely ruins the immersion and I feel like what is the point in me playing it according to somebody else's experience. But it is not great to feel you're simply missing stuff so clearly there is some conflicting design there.
Spot on. The NPC "quests" have always been incredibly obscure in FROM games, and combining the sheer scale of the map with these vague hints and some of them are almost impossible to complete unless you spend hours and hours on exploring.

Considering some quests can be locked or "failed" if you progress to far as well it becomes nearly impossible without looking it up

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I get what you're saying, but in this specific example, I think it's very much taking the rough with the smooth type of deal. if you are going to create a truly open-world game where you can go where you want when you want, and all the positives that it brings, then you will encounter a situation like you did, I guess. If the game starts to guide you on where to go next based on your level, then it's no longer this game.

I dunno. From my perspective, it's never going to be perfect whatever you do, so if you are set on making a game like this, then you should commit. Warts and all. And if you are over-leveled and absolutely wrecking enemies because you wandered off somewhere else first, then so be it. That's how I feel about that specific situation, anyway.

Obviously, when it comes to stuff like performance issues, that's a different story. They need to be fixed.
Exactly. The only other options are to make the game a lot more restrictive in where you go and when you go there, to scale the difficulty up a lot so that you have to grind to get a fair shot or to enable some kind of level scaling

Honestly i prefer the current system, even though you run the risk of trivializing some parts. For example both me and my brother had explored quite a lot before going to the Altus plateu, and in both cases both the area and the boss was piss easy for both of us. On the other hand, i foolishly went to Caelid way to early and got absoloutely mauled by that area before i decided to leave it alone for a while

Kaos

If the game weren't so sluggish and full of the same old engine issues, I'd be enjoying the dungeons way more. The open world is fine, and I actually like that it still feels souls-y but will be absolutely tedious on the next playthrough.

As an aside, I'm thinking of putting frost on my whips (as I can't do bleed, I'm guessing there will be a bleed whip down the line so dual bleed/frost). Thoughts? Have you messed with the effects much? (I'm going to go right ahead and assume poison is DS2 levels of trash).
There is actually bleed whip, think its called Thorned Whip. You could grab two of those (think its a farmable drop off a common ish mob) to power stance, and add frost to get the added frost/bleed build up. Sounds like it could be fun.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There is actually bleed whip, think its called Thorned Whip. You could grab two of those (think its a farmable drop off a common ish mob) to power stance, and add frost to get the added frost/bleed build up. Sounds like it could be fun.
Well I'm currently dual frosting with the first two whips, it's much more interesting than the usual swing a heavy sword or bleed merchants.

Also, I can confirm that loadout is very viable. Although, I have strong doubts that frost is actually doing anything PvE, it probably is only worth PvP and only then if you know get hits quickly.

Kaos

Well I'm currently dual frosting with the first two whips, it's much more interesting than the usual swing a heavy sword or bleed merchants.

Also, I can confirm that loadout is very viable. Although, I have strong doubts that frost is actually doing anything PvE, it probably is only worth PvP and only then if you know get hits quickly.
Frost works a bit differently in this game I think. I believe that when it procs it does a bit of damage, and then acts as a damage multiplier for consequent attacks. So a frost/bleed combination could potentially be very deadly.

largelyworried

Does anybody else just have zero interest in crafting or spells? I mean I'm the vagabond class so I've spec'd into strength/dex/endurance and have put my faith in my trusty sword and shield so I won't be throwing any spells. But should I look into crafting items? Are they worth it?

Also beat that crucible Knight which was quite a fun battle. Trying to beat the death bird but it feels like a bit of a chore.
Crafting is a bit of a missed opportunity. I did a quality build run til about half way into the game, with the idea of using the fire/poison/lightning/etc greases to buff my weapons as needed, since they're so easy to make. But I found that the greases were less powerful than simply adding an Ash of War to a plain weapon. And of course you can't buff a special weapon anyway, and most of the best weapons in the game are special weapons.

What would have been great was if they'd allowed you to have a stat related to crafting and made the items more powerful if you had higher stats, or make it so you had minimum stats for certain items. (Maybe arcane would have worked for this?). That would have made for a great flexible class that could have had a tool for every occasion, with the pay off being that you had to spend more time farming. As it is, you can largely ignore crafting for most builds.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Frost works a bit differently in this game I think. I believe that when it procs it does a bit of damage, and then acts as a damage multiplier for consequent attacks. So a frost/bleed combination could potentially be very deadly.
Yep, frost alone is good for the multiplier yet not OP but combined with something else, or perhaps even better a normal quality weapon, it will slap. It does highlight the infinite stamina/ignore most status fake difficulty of the enemies/bosses though.

The moveset is fun too. People should experiment more and not just head for the strongest weapons.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Anyone explored the pipes in the basement of the Capital? The amount of times I rolled to my death is unconscionable.

pacifictheme

Which areas? I already did almost everything west of the capitol (including most of House Vulcan) and the two underground areas Siofra and Ainsel. Did I miss something or do you mean those areas?
I did mean them, wasn't sure you had done all that.
There are one or two more areas though you may not have been to though. Called deepest depths or something like that, as well as the second half of the ainsel River and the lake of rot if you haven't been there.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
So after all the issues I had with Margitt the Fell Omen, the giant thing at the Morne Moangrave and even just the armoured Knights in Stormveil Castle - I beat Godric the grafted first time.

It helps when you work out how to use your abilities like unsheath and being able to summon things.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I did mean them, wasn't sure you had done all that.
There are one or two more areas though you may not have been to though. Called deepest depths or something like that, as well as the second half of the ainsel River and the lake of rot if you haven't been there.
Ah okay, good to know, i haven't heard of the first and last one.
Thank you :)

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't see how you can do the NPC quests without a guide.
They always have been that vague and obscure in the Souls games. To be honest I don't really like these puzzles where you have to perform a certain gesture (wearing a certain helmet or armor).

The bigger quests are basically okay and hints like "go to xy" or "talk to xy" are sometimes good enough, but sometimes not unfortunately. Due to the size of the world you can easily miss an important NPC or place. That wasn't that big of an issue in past Souls games.

I wouldn't want map markers and arrows pointing your way like in the Assassin's Creed games or Witcher 3 to a lesser extent, but I think Zelda BOTW did a better job of gently guiding the player without pointing the way but also without frustrating the player.
At least we got the NPC map marker in the last update.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't see how you can do the NPC quests without a guide.
Not a clue. The fact that they span so many hours, are so vague, don't give you any permanent notes and don't really tell you where characters you need to meet will be makes it almost impossible unless you're willing to constantly explore every nook and cranny for new parts, which seems mad to me. Not only that but some as sensitive as to other quests, characters and points you reach in the story meaning it's incredibly easy to miss bits and therefore the rest of the bloody quest! I'll always stand by what I said that not having some sort of notebook that keeps track of characters and what they said to do was a bad idea. I'm guessing FS are starting to think the same after adding those NPC markets in patch 1.03.

It make sense in Bloodborne which was a far more linear game where you naturally encountered the characters and items and whatnot as you progressed (though I still missed loads :lol:) but not in a sprawling OWG like this.

Bosws87

People are finding invisible walls that require being hit 50 times theres no logic to half of this nevermind npc quests. :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve accepted that I won’t be able to do every little quest in this and I don’t think I’d want to. I’ll find what I find.

largelyworried

People are finding invisible walls that require being hit 50 times theres no logic to half of this nevermind npc quests. :lol:
Think that seems to be a bug. It's a wall where it had the wrong defence value set, so instead of being indestructible it just had a lot of HP.

Irwin99

Elden Ring? Completed it mate.

Now to go beat some optional bosses and then wonder wtf I’m going to do with my life.

Easily one of my favourite games ever.

Got the Souls itch now so maybe time to play one them and see if I can actually finish one. I wish Bloodborne didn’t run like shit tbh, I’d love to replay it.
What ending did you get? I spoiled it by looking up the ending paths as i'm right near the game's end and i'm going to save scum and get all three from one save (i know, I know)

Kaos

I’ve accepted that I won’t be able to do every little quest in this and I don’t think I’d want to. I’ll find what I find.
The thing is, there's no real downside to missing most of them. The best items and weapons in the game are pretty easy to get or at the very least hard to miss. I'm not bothered about missing some secret quest that gifts me a dress I'll never use or a crafting cookbook for items I'll never use.

As for lore, meh I'll google that later. The only side quest I've really enjoyed are Millicent and Ranni's ones. The main story is enough to keep me entertained anyway.

Sweet Square

I've started to it a go and while I'm enjoying it, I don't really get the rave reviews about the open world. It's just a very very big and empty dark souls map. You or the enemies can't interact with environments in the same way as games like BOTW or MGSV and while the world they've created looks amazing, it's only real purpose is to pad out the game for the player. I'm also spamming the spirt button while on the horse in order to get past the vast emptiness(Unlike say Death Stranding or Shadow of the Colossus where the empty world had a propose).

Still it's nice that people are getting to enjoy these types of difficult games.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I've started to it a go and while I'm enjoying it, I don't really get the rave reviews about the open world. It's just a very very big dark souls map. You or the enemies can't interact with environments in the same way as a games like BOTW or MGSV and while the world they've created looks amazing, it's only real purpose is to drag out the game for the player. I'm just spamming the spirt button while on the horse in order to get past the vast emptiness(Unlike say Death Stranding or Shadow of the Colossus where the empty world had a propose).

Still it's nice that people are getting to enjoy these types of difficult games.
Yeah, as a new player to the series/developer, the combat is a lot of fun but the open world really is just a bit shite.

From Liurnia and every zone afterwards they do the trick of putting huge vertical fecking cliffs in the way of almost everywhere you could conceivably want to go as well, to make the map feel even bigger at the expense of pointlessly irritating the player.

Just running along for 10 minutes trying to find the way up or down or arbitrarily placed magic horse jumpy spot just isn't fun at all, and I'd much rather be spending the time on the stuff the game does very well rather than them trying to dupe me into thinking the huge, tedious open world is even more huge and tedious than I already think it is.

Bebe

I thought Horizon FW was incredible, but after 15 hours or so this is blowing Horizon out of the water. This stretch of game releases is taking over my life.

Sweet Square

Yeah, as a new player to the series/developer, the combat is a lot of fun but the open world really is just a bit shite.

From Liurnia and every zone afterwards they do the trick of putting huge vertical fecking cliffs in the way of almost everywhere you could conceivably want to go as well, to make the map feel even bigger at the expense of pointlessly irritating the player.

Just running along for 10 minutes trying to find the way up or down or arbitrarily placed magic horse jumpy spot just isn't fun at all, and I'd much rather be spending the time on the stuff the game does very well rather than them trying to dupe me into thinking the huge, tedious open world is even more huge and tedious than I already think it is.
Agree. I've enjoy the world building in their past games but the high points has always been the combat. That feeling of finally beaten a boss you've struggled with for hours is just so good.

It feels like they were forced into a making a open world game. It's the one thing they haven't done yet and it's been used as selling point(Along with the involvement of the Game Of Thrones guy as a writer). I get the impression they sort of know this as the game has countless bonfires you can fast travel with. Overall it’s not the biggest issue but like you say it’s a pain and a time waste.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Anyone explored the pipes in the basement of the Capital? The amount of times I rolled to my death is unconscionable.
Not only those pipes though its the randomly appearing sickle wielding piles of dexterity that knock your ass of the damn pipes. Oh, and I hate the fecking lobsters at the bottom. Out in the open I can take them easy, but 2 at once in an enclosed room? Madness (unless you cheese it by hanging out in the doorway by the Grace).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
is Godfrey supposed to be hard?

I smashed him first time without even using my mimic. Feel like I might be overlevelled (102) but I haven't grinded at all so it's weird.

Kylar Stern

Finished it and got all of the achievements, NG+ and ++ for the other endings are pretty straightforward with the end game loot and knowledge of where to go - my run of NG++ was just under 2 hours unbelievably. Nothing in the game is as difficult as Melania which took around 10 hours of dying and 3 respecs until I worked out how to kill her.

Only problem is that now I’ve hit a massive funk and dont know what to play, I started Tales of Arise and it feels pedestrian now!

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
is Godfrey supposed to be hard?

I smashed him first time without even using my mimic. Feel like I might be overlevelled (102) but I haven't grinded at all so it's weird.
I'd say you're about 60 levels over-levelled for Godfrey, haha.

I did him not long after Margit (who I did at about at level 25). Did Godfrey at 30'ish, and that seemed about right.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'd say you're about 60 levels over-levelled for Godfrey, haha.

I did him not long after Margit (who I did at about at level 25). Did Godfrey at 30'ish, and that seemed about right.
Think you might be on about Godrick mate

Nickosaur

Anyone experienced game-breaking slowdown on PC?

Played this for two hours last night, no issues whatsoever. Load up tonight and it's unplayable. Stuttering all over the place just exploring the world/on horseback...

Andersons Dietician

Love and hate this game. Smashing bosses like they are nothing but end up in a dungeon with those little gargoyle fecks and next thing I know is I’m bleeding out and losing all my runes

Toblerone92

First few hours of the game I crept about, terrified, like a new born lamb. I read up about the Bloodhounds Fang and beat the boss required to obtain it. I then went on a crazy search around the world to get every somber smithing stone and took that bad boi to +9.

I now stroll about carving people down with ease, although starting to encounter tougher opposition a little bit.