Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Picked it back up after a months and am obsessed all over again. I told myself I was going to wait for the DLC before picking it up again, but with more free time from work and a temporary break from coaching, I'm back to rinsing it. I agree with a lot of the criticism Redlambs put forward in this thread (All of it really bar the legacy dungeons point), but it just hits all the right spots for me, the gameplay art direction lore scratches an itch I don't really get with anything else. Shame I can't play it on PC and take advantage of the mods, especially the seamless co-op. A friend is getting it soon (his first souls game) so going around as a trio is going to be great, just wish it could be as convenient as it would be with the mod.

I still haven't got round to properly playing Sekiro despite giving it a couple efforts and I'm not sure why exactly. I think the combat is really fun, and while the freedom and customisation of the souls games is one of my favourite parts about it, I can see what they're going for here with the narrower focus. It's the only one I haven't rinsed, so I'll have to sit down and commit to giving it a full day.

SuperiorXI

Picked it back up after a months and am obsessed all over again. I told myself I was going to wait for the DLC before picking it up again, but with more free time from work and a temporary break from coaching, I'm back to rinsing it. I agree with a lot of the criticism Redlambs put forward in this thread (All of it really bar the legacy dungeons point), but it just hits all the right spots for me, the gameplay art direction lore scratches an itch I don't really get with anything else. Shame I can't play it on PC and take advantage of the mods, especially the seamless co-op. A friend is getting it soon (his first souls game) so going around as a trio is going to be great, just wish it could be as convenient as it would be with the mod.

I still haven't got round to properly playing Sekiro despite giving it a couple efforts and I'm not sure why exactly. I think the combat is really fun, and while the freedom and customisation of the souls games is one of my favourite parts about it, I can see what they're going for here with the narrower focus. It's the only one I haven't rinsed, so I'll have to sit down and commit to giving it a full day.

I am the same with Sekiro. I appreciate it however I eventually just stop playing it. Something about it is off in comparison to other FS games.

izzydiggler

With pretty much all the FromSoftware games, I play them for that ‘rush’ of achievement but they are full of objectively bad game design that should be removed.

I had a lot of great moments with Elden Ring but it’s full of shite too. The 10/10 GOTY awards are massively off IMO. Perhaps people really enjoy everything but it always feels to me that people ignore the huge issues these games have when discussing them.

caid

With pretty much all the FromSoftware games, I play them for that ‘rush’ of achievement but they are full of objectively bad game design that should be removed.

I had a lot of great moments with Elden Ring but it’s full of shite too. The 10/10 GOTY awards are massively off IMO. Perhaps people really enjoy everything but it always feels to me that people ignore the huge issues these games have when discussing them.
I dont know. Theres a lot of parts of their games i dont love but they just feel like design choices that have a wider purpose, making them kind of subjective or giving it an element of artistic license. I'd criticise most of it in other games, FROM just get a pass for reasons i cant explain.

macheda14

I don't think 10/10 in games means perfect. Pretty much every game that you could argue is a 10/10 has some issues with it, some more glaring than others. 10/10 is for games that are genre defining, that are a cultural moment, games that the whole industry just stops for a second to marvel at. It was GOTY because for a good while it was the only thing anyone was talking about in the industry, twitch, tiktok, youtube was just full of it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
And I'm out again.

I love the design but I just can't get into it.
That's where I am, I just keep getting battered. But also have fun discovering things? I just found some Wolverine like claws.

I don't really get the point, am I supposed to just kind of walk around?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That's where I am, I just keep getting battered. But also have fun discovering things? I just found some Wolverine like claws.

I don't really get the point, am I supposed to just kind of walk around?
Use a guide. Focuses your time.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
And I'm out again.

I love the design but I just can't get into it.
:lol: Love the fickle-ness

Same. I like the idea of it, love the design but just can’t hook into what everyone else seems to.

No doubt I’ll try again at some point and fall in love with it as I’m just doing finally with the Witcher 3. I may be slow, but I get there in the end.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I thinks its vastness, which would otherwise be a positive for me, slightly puts me off alongside the fact it just seems utterly time consuming.

Must've played 2/3 hours yesterday and I don't think I got anywhere.

Sweet Square

I thinks its vastness, which would otherwise be a positive for me, slightly puts me off alongside the fact it just seems utterly time consuming.

Must've played 2/3 hours yesterday and I don't think I got anywhere.
Yep I took a week off from playing it and was completely lost when I went back. It’s very impressive and it’s great so many people are into it but the map is far too big and the combat is shite compared to the other souls games.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You've definitely got to be prepared to put some hours into it. It's not the sort of game you'll get much out of it dipping in for an hour or two every other night.

And yeah use a guide, watch videos, whatever to make the experience more enjoyable. There's no set way to play it but you do need to put the hours in.

Still GoTY for me and wish they'd release some proper dlc for it.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
You've definitely got to be prepared to put some hours into it. It's not the sort of game you'll get much out of it dipping in for an hour or two every other night.
Yeah, it is why I am kinda checked out of From games for now. I have Sekiro that I stopped mid-way, and this. But you can't do this as a casual one hour thing, and being more dedicated is a challenge as compared to lockdown times when there was far more time for stuff like this.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How good is Sekiro ?
Very good but probably the hardest unless you master the combat as intended. Ive completed it several times with cheeses and dodge and attack rather than parry which FS are obsessed with.

Chairman Steve

I get the feeling it’s going to be a proper expansion pack that’s worth the money you pay for it. FromSoft DLC expansions are up there with the old Blizzard expansions of the late 90s and early 00s in terms of overall quality, extended replayability and improving the original game.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Still liked DS3 due to challenge and linearity. The scope of this game can make you easily miss a lot of things.

I like it due to how less punishing this game with mimic. At least i dont have to bang head on walls and can feel good about beating the bosses. Who cares if it's easier. We're supposed to have fun

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Finished my first game. Was very fun in a way that the boss fight mostly are walk in the park compared to DS3 which I cleared too including all bosses and DLC.

It's way much easier as in you could summon mimic and made the fight easy. But with 200 over bosses i dont really care. A way to feel good about enjoying the game without banging head and dying over 50-100 times to kill a boss like i did against Gael and Friede

The new game plus sadly offers nothing else. Most of the items have been accumulated the NG+ feels like a very compact rush to boss mode and overpower everything.

redcucumber

Got into this recently and can't stop playing. Trying to do a blood build. I've got the uchi with bloody slash on the tight and the naga with double slash on the left - can I only use the ash of war on my right handed weapon? Bloody slash is absolutely lethal (I'm level 67) but I've been using it basically exclusively all game. I also don't have any incantations or spells etc. Is there a way to mix things up without significantly downgrading the damage I inflict?

dinostar77

Got into this recently and can't stop playing. Trying to do a blood build. I've got the uchi with bloody slash on the tight and the naga with double slash on the left - can I only use the ash of war on my right handed weapon? Bloody slash is absolutely lethal (I'm level 67) but I've been using it basically exclusively all game. I also don't have any incantations or spells etc. Is there a way to mix things up without significantly downgrading the damage I inflict?
There are some talismans that will help.

dinostar77

Ah nice! Thanks for this. I've got the reduvia so will definitely look at building around it.
I used a bleed build throughout. Mainly used bloody slash.Rocking Rivers of Blood and a Uchugitana, both maxed out. I'm at level 125 ish

I am about 3 main bosses from the ending. Got stuck on 2nd form of black malikith before the summer and haven't revisited. Really should try to complete it.

redcucumber

I used a bleed build throughout. Mainly used bloody slash.Rocking Rivers of Blood and a Uchugitana, both maxed out. I'm at level 125 ish

I am about 3 main bosses from the ending. Got stuck on 2nd form of black malikith before the summer and haven't revisited. Really should try to complete it.
It's a ridiculously good game. Bloody slash on rivers of blood? Assume you were using the uchi before that?

Has anyone done a build they particularly enjoyed? Quite tempted to get some more magic involved.