Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

CallyRed

While it is undeniably tough, ER is actually a little more accessible than the previous games, in my opinion, due to its flexible open world and design. If you get stuck on something you can just say 'nah i'm not doing this at the moment' as there's no point in banging your head against the wall against a boss when there's so much to explore.

Also, the summons do help enormously in boss battles.
Thank you. Will maybe wait untill it's a bit cheaper to pick it up. I do enjoy open world games and being able to move on to other tasks etc.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So I have tried my hand at both Bloodborne and Demon Souls and I just can't make any decent progress, I'm just not good enough. I'm like Norwich City, good at a certain level but not good enough at the elite level.

Is there any point in me getting this or will I just be frustrated as feck?
I remember the first time i tried Demon Souls on PS3. At the time i considered myself a fairly competent gamer since it was my biggest hobby but i got absoloutely mauled the first couple of hours. These games are difficult not only because enemies are relatively dangerous, but also because its damn obscure and the game really tells you the bare minimum. It just drops you inn there and expects you to figure it out

Some general tips
1. Shields are great for beginners, BUT dont become to reliant on them because..
2. You have to learn how and when to dodge. You are invincible during part of the animation and learning to dodge is absoloutely nesscary
3. Upgrade your gear, but find something you are comfortable with. Bigger numbers isn't nesscarly "better"
4. Dont be afraid to die. Yes, losing 3 levels worth of souls/blood is bitter, but turtling only gets you so far i these games

Ainu

So I have tried my hand at both Bloodborne and Demon Souls and I just can't make any decent progress, I'm just not good enough. I'm like Norwich City, good at a certain level but not good enough at the elite level.

Even if you think you aren't good enough, it's not hopeless. For a long time, I had the same experience as you. Imported Demon's Souls for the PS3 back in 2009 but just couldn't make any meaningful progress. I tried again with Dark Souls when it came out with a similar result. I had written off these games as too hard for me.

Then on my third attempt, this time with Bloodborne some 4 years ago, it just clicked. Four years later and I've completed Bloodborne, all 3 Dark Souls games, Sekiro and Demon's Souls both on PS3 and the PS5 remake, plus any DLC available for those games. It's never too late to discover that you probably are good enough.

Sweet Square

It’s a lot easier in that the game gives you more tools to beat enemies with but….if you play it like a normal souls game its pretty difficult.

Although imo thats because the fighting(For melee builds) in the game is rubbish - enemies routinely clip animations and bosses have attacks patterns which go on for stupid amount of time.

It’s still great but one of the poorer souls game.

CallyRed

I remember the first time i tried Demon Souls on PS3. At the time i considered myself a fairly competent gamer since it was my biggest hobby but i got absoloutely mauled the first couple of hours. These games are difficult not only because enemies are relatively dangerous, but also because its damn obscure and the game really tells you the bare minimum. It just drops you inn there and expects you to figure it out

Some general tips
1. Shields are great for beginners, BUT dont become to reliant on them because..
2. You have to learn how and when to dodge. You are invincible during part of the animation and learning to dodge is absoloutely nesscary
3. Upgrade your gear, but find something you are comfortable with. Bigger numbers isn't nesscarly "better"
4. Dont be afraid to die. Yes, losing 3 levels worth of souls/blood is bitter, but turtling only gets you so far i these games
Even if you think you aren't good enough, it's not hopeless. For a long time, I had the same experience as you. Imported Demon's Souls for the PS3 back in 2009 but just couldn't make any meaningful progress. I tried again with Dark Souls when it came out with a similar result. I had written off these games as too hard for me.

Then on my third attempt, this time with Bloodborne some 4 years ago, it just clicked. Four years later and I've completed Bloodborne, all 3 Dark Souls games, Sekiro and Demon's Souls both on PS3 and the PS5 remake, plus any DLC available for those games. It's never too late to discover that you probably are good enough.
It’s a lot easier in that the game gives you more tools to beat enemies with but….if you play it like a normal souls game its pretty difficult.

Although imo thats because the fighting(For melee builds) in the game is rubbish - enemies routinely clip animations and bosses have attacks patterns which go on for stupid amount of time.

It’s still great but one of the poorer souls game.
Thanks for the responses and tips. I decided to make the plunge and go for it - I think it wasn't for the open world element I probably would have given it a miss.
Whilst consistently dying is not fun, I actually still weirdly enjoyed it playing these games - for the short length of time I did!

Bobade

I got this a few days ago. Stupidly, I expected something more like Skyrim. I've never played a Souls game. Safe to say, I'm getting rinsed. For me the hardest part is that you have to focus on all the fights so much, and even shitty enemies on the road can kill you fairly easily if you take your eye off the ball. Or maybe I'm just shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I got this a few days ago. Stupidly, I expected something more like Skyrim. I've never played a Souls game. Safe to say, I'm getting rinsed. For me the hardest part is that you have to focus on all the fights so much, and even shitty enemies on the road can kill you fairly easily if you take your eye off the ball. Or maybe I'm just shit.
Takes time to adjust. I nearly returned the game at one point but eventually broke through that barrier.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Best advice I can give: die a lot. Enjoy dying. Go into areas with the express intent of dying, but so you can also explore. Run through areas and die. Take on enemies and die.

There are places in the game to get souls, and doing the above will get you a decent way there. Just don't tip-toe around avoiding death, like you'd do in most games. This one doesn't work like that :)

sport2793

Na this is all normal, I thought Elden Ring was ridiculously hard for the first 10 to 20 hours and was ready to give up on it, now I think it's one of the best games I've played and the game of the year, having platinum'd this, GoW Ragnarok, and HFW. One strategy where there is no shame if you are new to Souls would be to look at a playthrough to get a sense of all the items and playstyles you could employ to have a more comfortable ride that you can adjust as you become more experienced. Also helps to know what areas are OP for a character just starting out. One example would be to avoid north Caelid (Dragonbarrow) until later in the game unless you want a particular crafting item.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Na this is all normal, I thought Elden Ring was ridiculously hard for the first 10 to 20 hours and was ready to give up on it, now I think it's one of the best games I've played and the game of the year, having platinum'd this, GoW Ragnarok, and HFW. One strategy where there is no shame if you are new to Souls would be to look at a playthrough to get a sense of all the items and playstyles you could employ to have a more comfortable ride that you can adjust as you become more experienced (also to know what areas are OP for a character just starting out).
Yeah I'd definitely recommend doing this especially if you're a FromSoft noob. Also don't be too proud to call in help for boss fights if you want to. I'd always try and tackle them yourself first but if you keep getting smashed then there's no shame in a summons.

sport2793

Also I wouldn't worry so much about losing runes early on in places like Limgrave as the magnitude you get over time in later regions significantly increases. Best to just get used to the fight mechanics and get very good at dodging is all I can say. If you are lazy to parry you can get really good shields later in the game but early on a brass shield or the Manor Towershield can work quite well.

Bobade

Na this is all normal, I thought Elden Ring was ridiculously hard for the first 10 to 20 hours and was ready to give up on it, now I think it's one of the best games I've played and the game of the year, having platinum'd this, GoW Ragnarok, and HFW. One strategy where there is no shame if you are new to Souls would be to look at a playthrough to get a sense of all the items and playstyles you could employ to have a more comfortable ride that you can adjust as you become more experienced. Also helps to know what areas are OP for a character just starting out. One example would be to avoid north Caelid (Dragonbarrow) until later in the game unless you want a particular crafting item.
Cheers, I have had a look at some guides, especially as I've just managed to obtain a staff without thinking to wonder whether or not I can even wield it (I can't). Need more runes, any advice on this? Guide says I should be killing trolls over and over.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Cheers, I have had a look at some guides, especially as I've just managed to obtain a staff without thinking to wonder whether or not I can even wield it (I can't). Need more runes, any advice on this? Guide says I should be killing trolls over and over.
There are certain area's you can level quickly depending on your level but htey can get kinda cheesy. People refer to them as farms. You can just quickly good ER rune farms early game and you'll get the starter ones. But honestly just chilling and grinding is fine too if a bit slower.

Staffs and magic builds are the easiest simply because you can fight from distance but the game will eventually click regardless if you stick on a melee build.

The most important thing is these games is patience, getting greedy for damage or surrounded = a bad time (a good bad time).

Quick Tips:
Try and keep all nearby enemies in your fov.
Whenever you think "I can sneak 1 more attack in here", you probably can't.
Make sure you aren't overloaded with gear to the point of fat rolling.
Learn to love seeing game over screens.

caid

My route through the start would be to get to that first village before trolls and kill everything there once or twice before going past the troll to the bonfire up the road. Heading back to village, go east from there to npc and church further up, then keep going south till you hit a little castle that has some good gear and is a decent place to level. Then you'd go back to your trolls at the first village and on to limgrave castle. You'll be high enough level at that point to pick your way through the castle and explore along the northern part of limgrave up to the first church in caelid.

Explore as you go, theres bits and pieces you can do or skip all over the place.
Most of the lore of the game is in the item descriptions.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Me and my son are loving this fecking game. It's completely different to GoWR but just as good so far. As for the difficulty, my boy is 10....

Last edited:

dinostar77

Unlikely IMO.

The PvP is so niche and hard for new players to get in to, most of the user base will have likely been playing online since the OG Demon's Souls.
Ive played and completed every souls game. I have zero interest in PvP and would never touch it. I hate invasions from other players when playing older souls games. So id play offline, to the point of disconnecting my internet connection for my console.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I believe so.
We couldn't figure it out in the end. The boy is out pacing me anyway, he just goes where he wants and does whatever, seems to be a Souls savant. Is mounted combat over powered?

Bebe

We couldn't figure it out in the end. The boy is out pacing me anyway, he just goes where he wants and does whatever, seems to be a Souls savant. Is mounted combat over powered?
I played the game on the PS4 app on my PS5 with two mates playing on the PS5 app, on PS5. Have you played around with the online group/clan system thing? That's how we were able to find each other easily.

I wouldn't call it overpowered, you're supposed to be able to gallop around the open world without being held up by little mobs much. It's almost essential for some of the dragon fights I'd say.

Where in the game are you two?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Bought and started this the day before yesterday, only played an hour but chose Samurai class. Died to some wolves and then went back and shit on them.

fergosaurus

Rennala's giving me a hard time...

Blasted through the first phase and thought wow what an easy boss. Then phase 2 started and I got one-shoted by that initial spell she does. Got close to beating her so will hopefully get it done soon but the run back is a pain in the ass, phase 1 is easy but tedious :mad:

caid

Rennala's giving me a hard time...

Blasted through the first phase and thought wow what an easy boss. Then phase 2 started and I got one-shoted by that initial spell she does. Got close to beating her so will hopefully get it done soon but the run back is a pain in the ass, phase 1 is easy but tedious :mad:
They changed that fight to be much harder after it was released. Went through a few times and it was funny to see how much she changed from one playthrough to the next. If she hits you, she'll kill you, that part hasn't changed. Think i just waited out the harder summons and tried to keep her staggered when a chance to get damage in came along.

fergosaurus

They changed that fight to be much harder after it was released. Went through a few times and it was funny to see how much she changed from one playthrough to the next. If she hits you, she'll kill you, that part hasn't changed. Think i just waited out the harder summons and tried to keep her staggered when a chance to get damage in came along.
Yeah, she's destroying me more than any boss up to this point. I died like 4 or 5 times so will have another crack at her tomorrow. The last time I got pretty close so think I should just about manage.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Yeah, she's destroying me more than any boss up to this point. I died like 4 or 5 times so will have another crack at her tomorrow. The last time I got pretty close so think I should just about manage.
She is vulnerable to melee. What are your stats and level? I beat her easily - high dex,vigour and the wolves as spirit summons. Had her down before she could summon anyone in phase two.

fergosaurus

She is vulnerable to melee. What are your stats and level? I beat her easily - high dex,vigour and the wolves as spirit summons. Had her down before she could summon anyone in phase two.
I'm high 30's and most of my stats are in strength, endurance and vigor, with a faith bumped to 12 so I could use the Golden Halberd, which is class. I'm going to respecc and throw those into dex and start a quality build and start using the Bloodhound's Fang.

Nickosaur

I'm high 30's and most of my stats are in strength, endurance and vigor, with a faith bumped to 12 so I could use the Golden Halberd, which is class. I'm going to respecc and throw those into dex and start a quality build and start using the Bloodhound's Fang.
Bloodhound's Fang got me through most of the game, unreal weapon.
I switched between that and the Fallingstar Beast Jaw for the end game - it requires high STR mind you. But the special ranged attack is so OP imo. Gave me a lot of flexibility in staggering some of the tougher bosses.

fergosaurus

Bloodhound's Fang got me through most of the game, unreal weapon.
I switched between that and the Fallingstar Beast Jaw for the end game - it requires high STR mind you. But the special ranged attack is so OP imo. Gave me a lot of flexibility in staggering some of the tougher bosses.
I'll keep a lookout for that one. Just beat her with a little help from the skeleton spirit ashes. Finally get to respecc and use the Bloodhound's Fang :drool:

Twisted_Woody

Scout
How are you finding it? I loved the katanas in DS1 but haven't tried them yet in this.
I started with it as a Samurai and I'm having a hard time moving on from it to be honest. I have the bloodfang but I find the attacks are slower. I've sliced and diced my way through stormveil and raya lucaria with the starter Katana and starter bow and have had no problems. Nice balance of damage and attack speed. Scales well with dex.

caid

I started with it as a Samurai and I'm having a hard time moving on from it to be honest. I have the bloodfang but I find the attacks are slower. I've sliced and diced my way through stormveil and raya lucaria with the starter Katana and starter bow and have had no problems. Nice balance of damage and attack speed. Scales well with dex.
You dont really need to move on from katanas, rivers of blood is like a cheat code and melania's is pretty good amongst others. You can get the moonveil katana pretty early too and thats quite fun. Theres loads of good options though, most things have a few silly and overpowered options.

Chairman Steve

Rumoured that the DLC is going to be huge in size. Hopefully it lives up the high standards FromSoft set themselves with their previous DLCs.

Ted Lasso

Rumoured that the DLC is going to be huge in size. Hopefully it lives up the high standards FromSoft set themselves with their previous DLCs.

Woah. I've sunk about 75 hours into it and not finished. Switched to other games. This might be a good reason to get back into it

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I hope it's somewhere new like the Badlands. That place is ominous as feck.

I don't want it to be something like Caelid pre-Malenia's tantrum.