Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I can't for the life of me beat the bloody palace. It's just so hard and after dying at stage 90something which takes about 2 hours to get to I just gave up.
A bit untimely to replay but I don't remember dmc5 having a bloody palace mode for platinum requirements.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Okay, the Lord of Blood is demolishing me. So far I've made my way through the game without too much trouble but his second phase is a real difficulty jump. I barely get a chance to heal because of his insane combos, bleed effect and fire. I think he has killed me more than every other boss combined so far and I haven't even got close to beating him.
You can get a wonderous physic to negate his triple blood thing at the halfway point which makes it easier

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It doesn't? Well I must admit I have also not S ranked all missions.
If I'm not mistaken it didn't even exist in the base game, it came out as a dlc i think.

Anyway if you enjoy the game just play on till you get good enough than the s ranks come naturally thereafter ( one of the most enjoyable experiences in the entire gaming catalogue for me)

If you don't feel like it you can just farm redorbs from the mission after the boss fight where you drop into a pit with infinitely spawning enemies (the mission with the cerberus boss i think) using the hat thingy and then cheese through the missions without getting hit as it has a double multiplier bonus, enough to have all or most missions s ranked.

Last edited:

Bebe

Okay, the Lord of Blood is demolishing me. So far I've made my way through the game without too much trouble but his second phase is a real difficulty jump. I barely get a chance to heal because of his insane combos, bleed effect and fire. I think he has killed me more than every other boss combined so far and I haven't even got close to beating him.
Do you have his shackle (found in the sewers below Leyndell) or the Crystal tear that cancels his bleed effect?

Stringer

You can get a wonderous physic to negate his triple blood thing at the halfway point which makes it easier
Do you have his shackle (found in the sewers below Leyndell) or the Crystal tear that cancels his bleed effect?
I have both but I just can't get attacks in during the second phase consistently and the shackles don't work then. I'm just taking bleed damage from his fire attacks and then he catches me eventually. Also find it really difficult to heal as he swoops across the arena very quickly to interrupt you. I'm currently using the Blasphemous Blade but I might respec to a bleed build as it seems he is weaker to that.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

My play time on this is pretty much down to 3 hrs a week as I’m just that busy but I’ve just made it to the dragon Lord plexus or whatever he is called and I hate him already. That is all, just needed to share my frustration with him kicking my ass over and over and over again.

Stringer

It's funny how much a build changes things. Switched to a bleed build with double uchigatana and beat the Lord of Blood within a couple of attempts. The damage output was so much higher than my old weapon.

Last edited:

caid

My play time on this is pretty much down to 3 hrs a week as I’m just that busy but I’ve just made it to the dragon Lord plexus or whatever he is called and I hate him already. That is all, just needed to share my frustration with him kicking my ass over and over and over again.
Hes the hardest boss in the game by a distance imo. Or it feels like you need to be a much higher level to kill him than the last 3. I'd nearly do them first and come back to him in the post game.

Bebe

I have both but I just can't get attacks in during the second phase consistently and the shackles don't work then. I'm just taking bleed damage from his fire attacks and then he catches me eventually. Also find it really difficult to heal as he swoops across the arena very quickly to interrupt you. I'm currently using the Blasphemous Blade but I might respec to a bleed build as it seems he is weaker to that.
I used the Blasphemous Blade for most of the latter half of the game, but switched back to the claymore and lightning blade since fire didn't seem to be very effective against him.

caid

I used the Blasphemous Blade for most of the latter half of the game, but switched back to the claymore and lightning blade since fire didn't seem to be very effective against him.
Its not. Its worth picking up D's greatsword as an alt for the Blasphemous Blade, theres a lot of fire resistant bosses. Faith builds kind of get the short end of the stick with resistances in this game. So many bosses resistant to at least one of Fire or Holy.
Its worth trying bleeds, Morgott and most other Omen are weak to it. Mohg might be an exception.

Bebe

Its not. Its worth picking up D's greatsword as an alt for the Blasphemous Blade, theres a lot of fire resistant bosses. Faith builds kind of get the short end of the stick with resistances in this game. So many bosses resistant to at least one of Fire or Holy.
Its worth trying bleeds, Morgott and most other Omen are weak to it. Mohg might be an exception.
Definitely true, although I didn't find it to be much of an issue because
a) Blasphemous Blade is so OP that it often doesn't matter,
b) trusty claymore as a backup and I abused the ability to craft greases in this game.

The variety of ways to approach obstacles in this game exceeds everything else FromSoft have done so far imo.

Stringer

Am I supposed to be able to dodge Malenia's whirling attack? She's ridiculous :lol:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Desperate for a new game now, am super bored by the ones i have, but still i just can't make myself buy Elden Ring.
Can someone convince me?

Never touched any game in the series, but know they are hard - this is probably my biggest issue with them, i have zero patience for all the dodging and planning :lol:

caid

Am I supposed to be able to dodge Malenia's whirling attack? She's ridiculous :lol:
Not really. Get very, very far away or block the first set of attacks, you can survive the 2nd and 3rd part (and they're much easier to dodge)

Andersons Dietician

I took her out yesterday first try. Bloodhound fang, Mimic, frost grease on the blade and went totally aggressive on her. I’d heard a lot about her but she seemed quite easy. I’m trying to kill a fecking ball bearing hunter in Caelid right now and he is way harder than Melinia.

Hes ridiculous, stupid throws sword skill that seems un-dogable

Stringer

Not really. Get very, very far away or block the first set of attacks, you can survive the 2nd and 3rd part (and they're much easier to dodge)
Okay, need to equip a shield then. Haven't used one since the very beginning of the game.

I took her out yesterday first try. Bloodhound fang, Mimic, frost grease on the blade and went totally aggressive on her. I’d heard a lot about her but she seemed quite easy. I’m trying to kill a fecking ball bearing hunter in Caelid right now and he is way harder than Melinia.

I'm trying to avoid using ash summons for bosses and so far have managed it. Hopefully Malenia doesn't change that. I did get her to the second phase a couple of times in my first few attempts only to be one shotted by her first attack in the second phase. Since then she has destroyed me in the first phase.

That guy was really tough. He is absurdly overpowered for when you encounter him as well and his moveset is just irritating.

Andersons Dietician

Okay, need to equip a shield then. Haven't used one since the very beginning of the game.

I'm trying to avoid using ash summons for bosses and so far have managed it. Hopefully Malenia doesn't change that. I did get her to the second phase a couple of times in my first few attempts only to be one shotted by her first attack in the second phase. Since then she has destroyed me in the first phase.

That guy was really tough. He is absurdly overpowered for when you encounter him as well and his moveset is just irritating.
I‘ve just had to take a break from him kicking my ass or my controller was going through the Tv. I don’t understand this game sometimes. Some of the bosses are pretty easy, but then you come across a prick like this or those like cock roach things and I find myself asking are they the real bosses. Oh and fecking Gravity. I hate the first section of the Haelig tree. Ants, bubble men can all do one as far as I’m concerned.

caid

Its pretty much the only time i used one. You can outrun it but its way harder than just eating the damage and blocking enough to survive basically. 2nd and 3rd hits can be dodged, they have shorter animations and only the last hit of the 3rd part of the combo does much damage. She tends to throw it at ash summons if your using them too, they help a lot in this fight.
For that 2nd phase attack dodge towards her when she starts coming down. You want a bit of an angle on her, if your directly below her she'll hit you anyway. Then dodge away from bloom, its a good time for ranged damage if you have any. Theres more one shot attacks in that phase but it felt easier to me despite that.
I find if / when you beat her its usually a very short fight with you constantly breaking her posture and killing her really fast. The more it stretches on the more nightmare spinny / divebomb attacks you have to deal with and they tend to catch you out sooner or later.
I dont think she uses that spinny attack till 50% health if that helps. It'll often heal her back above 50% and you can end up in a loop with it being triggered again and again and again.

caid

Elemer of the Briar is annoying and tough as nails. The Caelid version is the strongest. I equipped a fast weapon - a longsword i think and just dodge towards, hit, dodge towards, hit. Over and over till he died. His medium range attacks come out faster and hit harder than his close range stuff which is usually slow and not too bad. You can outrange him to heal but you tend to end up running off a cliff in caelid or dragging some dogs into the fight. Get your dodge right and end up behind him and you can get a heal off before the next swing hits.

Bebe

When she jumps up in the air, start sprinting away and roll away in the same direction for the first flurry. Then roll towards and through the next two smaller flurries (will have to change rolling direction in between flurries). I'd still usually get caught by a hit or two, but I didn't have to fear dying to it by the end.

luck&neat

Desperate for a new game now, am super bored by the ones i have, but still i just can't make myself buy Elden Ring.
Can someone convince me?

Never touched any game in the series, but know they are hard - this is probably my biggest issue with them, i have zero patience for all the dodging and planning :lol:
I generally don't have the patience, and was put off by the learning curve of the souls series in general (remembering all the bosses moves and which directions to roll etc), but you can generally avoid a lot of it if you use spirits and pick a ranged build/farm a little to overlevel somewhat.

It's absolutely worth giving it a go. One of my favourites. You can make the game as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

b82REZ

Real life shit has gotten in the way of me playing this for over a month now and I'm a little intimidated to jump back in. It's probably going to take me a few hours to get the muscle memory back.

Even though I've only done about 75% of the game, it's still my GOTY so far.

largelyworried

When she jumps up in the air, start sprinting away and roll away in the same direction for the first flurry. Then roll towards and through the next two smaller flurries (will have to change rolling direction in between flurries). I'd still usually get caught by a hit or two, but I didn't have to fear dying to it by the end.
Jumping is better than rolling from the first attack it turns out. The hit box is a half-sphere on the ground so you don't need to be as far away if you jump

His AI is easy to exploit. Just circle hard right from the outset and if you're at his side or behind then 90% of the time he'll do a shield slam. Roll it, attack, move right, he'll do it again. He'll do this 7 or 8 times in a row and you can just keep punishing him. If he does anything else, just roll it but don't attack, then keep going right and he'll start doing shield slams again.

Stringer

Finally beat Malenia; just played really aggressive and tried to stagger her, especially on the second phase. For me, she is definitely a top three boss with regard to difficulty in the From Software games.

Godfather

Used Mimic tear and the summon against Godfrey and wish I hadn't. Those two would have destroyed him even without my help... I feel I robbed myself a great fight.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Used Mimic tear and the summon against Godfrey and wish I hadn't. Those two would have destroyed him even without my help... I feel I robbed myself a great fight.
His aggression is hard to handle solo though. Doesn't leave much time and space respond.

Bebe

Yeah Mimic tear alone would have been the right choice but hey... On to the Elden Beast, I'm curious how my bleed build will do
I used Mimic Tear with him and regret it, was still too easy but I think it would have been a standout fight in the game solo. And I'm not particularly good at these games.

Godfather

How did that work out for you?
Worked actually pretty well. Rivers of blood is just ridiculous. Did a big amount of damage although the Elden Beast is immune to bleed. Third try and I got it with mimic tear.

Went through all three endings too now and platinumed the game. Will still go through NG+ I think. Probably with a faith build.

Love the game although I would have no idea about half the stuff without help

Last edited:

Ted Lasso

Breathtaking game in scope. Very approachable - this is just my second From Software game after the Demon Souls remake, by Blue Point but from From...

I have to say though that the boss fights do not seem as refined as in Demon Souls. I don't recall a single boss being a cheat. But with Elden Ring there's this huge unnatural lag with some attacks the seem very contrived as if only to create a challenge but just comes off to me as cheap. Aside from that/regardless just awesome game and I can understand why it's touted as a game of the year contender.

largelyworried

Breathtaking game in scope. Very approachable - this is just my second From Software game after the Demon Souls remake, by Blue Point but from From...

I have to say though that the boss fights do not seem as refined as in Demon Souls. I don't recall a single boss being a cheat. But with Elden Ring there's this huge unnatural lag with some attacks the seem very contrived as if only to create a challenge but just comes off to me as cheap. Aside from that/regardless just awesome game and I can understand why it's touted as a game of the year contender.
By lag do you mean when bosses delay their attacks before swinging?

Ted Lasso

By lag do you mean when bosses delay their attacks before swinging?
Yup! Exactly, some of them spinning on a dime just tracking your role. Don't recall a single moment like that in DS1. Has that been a thing in the rest of the From games ?

largelyworried

Yup! Exactly, some of them spinning on a dime just tracking your role. Don't recall a single moment like that in DS1. Has that been a thing in the rest of the From games ?
Yeah roll catches theyre called. Manus had them in DS1 DLC, but they became popular in DS2 onwards. This game goes apeshit for them though, they're all over the place.

Some are ok, like there's a few bosses with heavy weapons where it makes sense theyre slow and delayed because the weapon is so big to move. But some are almost surreal. The first real boss you meet has a delayed attack that it almost looks like his weapon is a balloon filled with helium and he's struggling to pull it down from the sky to hit you with it.

I'm not a fan, but you learn them eventually.

Leg-End

I just started this, the scope of the thing scares me but I’m determined to have a good go at this. First From game, no idea what I’m doing but let’s have a go.