g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Kaos

Anyway as a PC-first gamer with a high end rig I've opted for the PS5 version and feel a little dirty about it. But now I'm hearing its locked to 60fps on PC anyway makes me feel a bit better about it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
So many people in this thread who've never played a Soulsborne and are getting this. I can't wait for the reactions.

Amarsdd

Caved in and got it preinstalled even though I won’t be able put long hours into it till the next weekend. I have a feeling I’ll fall sick next friday to make it a long weekend :D

Anyway what sorta builds are you guys going for in your first playthrough? I’m leaning towards a Strength/Intelligence build currently.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Should I get it for ps4? Anyone? I have a high end pc too, but I don't look PC gaming.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've not really played any of them either dude, I tried DS2 and Bloodborne a while back and while I though they were good, my life wasn't conducive to games that needed that level of investment. I'm just looking forward to being able to immerse myself into a big game and ER looks gorgeous and is backed up by some strong reviews. I'd have thought you'd have been all over this one?
Nah, I don't really like third-person games and dark fantasy isn't my jam. More a sci-fi guy.

Looks a great game though if you're into this sort of thing - I just read EG's glowing review.

Nickosaur

Will have to get this for PC.
Thanks to game pass I haven't bought a new game in years... feels strange

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
For somebody who's never played a bloodsouls, what's the appeal of this?
A true sense of exploration and discovery that many open-wold games promise but seldom deliver. And while they are difficult, they are also very rewarding. The dopamine hit you get when finally overcoming a boss is unlike any other experience in gaming, for me. It’s also fair. There is some bullshit in these games, but generally speaking, it rewards patience and skill if you’re willing to put the time in.

This game obviously differs from the others in that it’s an open-world game, so whereas in previous From games if you couldn't overcome a particular boss you’d have to just keep going until you did because you had to progress the story, with this one it seems that you can just back out and explore other areas of the world, and come back at a later date when you’re more powerful and experienced. Which could make it more accessible.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The exploration is the biggest thing.

Almost every game gives you arrows and compasses and maps. It's baby's first adventure.

Dark Souls told you "Ring two bells. One is up there somewhere, one is down there somewhere. Off you go."

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

Almost every game gives you arrows and compasses and maps. It's baby's first adventure.

Dark Souls told you "Ring two bells. One is up there somewhere, one is down there somewhere. Off you go."
I had to use a guide quite a bit for Bloodborne to make sure I didn't miss shortcuts and optional areas, I guess that'll be less of an option for this seeing as it hasn't been out six years. Interesting times.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Anyway as a PC-first gamer with a high end rig I've opted for the PS5 version and feel a little dirty about it. But now I'm hearing its locked to 60fps on PC anyway makes me feel a bit better about it.
Their engine was always made wrong from the off with regards to how it deals with fps and hz. There will 100% be a mod within days, even hours (as was the case with Sekiro) to handle 144/240 monitors without impacting the animations/collisions.

On Sekiro especially, it was a godsend.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m gonna give in and buy it right away. Probably gonna ruin Horizon but sod it. I’ll only end up buying it down the line so might as well jump on the hype wagon!

Deery

Dreary
I’ve purchased it anyway, maybe a little naive but needed something else to play as been on the same game for ages. The reviewers are saying it’s not as hard as previous Souls games but looking at the gameplay it looks kinda hard, a mix of GOW and The Witcher it looks like..

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

As if fecking Dark Souls invented old-school RPG stuff like that. :lol:

The quests in Morrowind didn't only give you vague directions, they flat out fecking lied about where you were supposed to go.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Never realised on my first playthrough how important that conversation was :lol:

Kaos

Their engine was always made wrong from the off with regards to how it deals with fps and hz. There will 100% be a mod within days, even hours (as was the case with Sekiro) to handle 144/240 monitors without impacting the animations/collisions.

On Sekiro especially, it was a godsend.
Don't be telling me this, I've already made peace with my console commitment :lol:

I'm just going for the couch + surround sound experience on this one. I'll take the 60 FPS experience on the PS5 quite happily. Yeah I know I can drag my PC to my 120hz Oled TV, but I can't be arsed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I’ve purchased it anyway, maybe a little naive but needed something else to play as been on the same game for ages. The reviewers are saying it’s not as hard as previous Souls games but looking at the gameplay it looks kinda hard, a mix of GOW and The Witcher it looks like..
Yeah, it's still supposed to be a very difficult game (some are saying more difficult than previous From games), but what separates this from the others is that you're not stuck on a boss banging your head against a wall. Because of the nature of the game, you can go and explore the world if you come up against a particularly hard boss.

Eventually, you'll have to kill him of course, but hopefully, you'll be more leveled up and experienced by then.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I chose a shit character. Bandit. Just got wasted by the first boss.

Godfather

I'll so go noob mode and choose the magician first time round. Seemed to be op in the network test. Will be interesting to see if they nerfed magic

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I never felt a great sense of exploration in Soules games. Immersion, yes. As every move means so much you feel like a tense little flick of nothing in an overwhelming dangerous world. But I wouldn't really say it scratched an exploitative itch for me. Obtusness (not a word?) is different from exploration for me adds mystique mostly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I dont really know enough about the classes and stuff in souls games. Could anyone advise me on like a spellsword build where I can use offensive (fire?) magic at range and sword up close? What perks/stats would I need to go into?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
PS4 is locked to 30 fps I think, whereas a capable PC will do 60 fps easily.

Go for the PC version IMO, just use your controller.
Don't really care about 30 or 60 fps honestly. Sitting on my couch however... :wenger:

Kaos

Don't really care about 30 or 60 fps honestly. Sitting on my couch however... :wenger:
In a soulsborne game it does make a difference tbh. If you don't care then by all means go for the couch experience. You will be getting the inferior version of the game though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In a soulsborne game it does make a difference tbh. If you don't care then by all means go for the couch experience. You will be getting the inferior version of the game though.
Meh, Ive beaten all others on 30fps just fine. I'd be happy to buy the superior version if you sell me your ps5 :p

Or if Sony sells it to me, I'm fine either way, just someone take my fecking money.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I can't level up at the site of grace and that's where you're supposed to according to the guides.

Drainy

Bandit/thief/light and agile is what I normally go. I only ever use small shields for parrying, I've never cleared a souls game hiding behind big shields.

But it's always a tough start! :lol:
Elder Scrolls starts you as a prisoner, Soulsbourne games always kill you at the first boss.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The only correct choice for a first run is Knight of course. Hide behind a giant shield wearing a ridiculously cumbersome heavy armour and laugh while puny monsters need 3 instead of 2 hits to kill you.