Elon Musk | Owner of X

Abizzz

I can see this going horribly wrong for him if he offends too much of the twitter crowd.

Equally he might be world president in 10 years I guess.

:(

Varun

Staff
I can see this going horribly wrong for him if he offends too much of the twitter crowd.

Equally he might be world president in 10 years I guess.

:(
Doesn't come across like someone who gives a single feck tbh

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Twitter will likely go downhill now if he implements what he sees as ‘free speech’. Racists, bigots, etc.. will all be allowed to ‘express their opinion’.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Twitter will likely go downhill now if he implements what he sees as ‘free speech’. Racists, bigots, etc.. will all be allowed to ‘express their opinion’.
If its anything like tesla you will have a choice of 4 opinions it will take a year to post and you will be charged a yet to be confirmed amount when it does

phelans shorts

Doesn't come across like someone who gives a single feck tbh
Musk? Quite the opposite, he comes across as somebody who’s incredibly insecure and desperate for approval.

He’s probably going to remove the ban on Trump, allow a bucketload of racist shit to be posted in the interest of freedom of speech and preside over Twitter as a company tanking as the market that would fill the gaps not seeing the necessity of moving over from Facebook.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
All the tumblr refugees who made twitter home will now surely be driven out.

Where do they go now?

Boycott

I hope his ownership leads to the fall of twitter. One of the worst websites out there. Worse than facebook in my opinion because at least there is no character limit on facebook. Twitter started with good intentions but it's led to such dumbing down, ignorance and organised hate thriving.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How relevant will Twitter be if Musk turns it into Parler 2.0?

While it's already got an established base of users I could see it becoming increasingly irrelevant to people left of Mussolini and the young.

It's happened to Facebook but Facebook is a far bigger company so they can off set an exodus through their other ventures like Instagram. Twitter to my mind doesn't have much else since they shut down Vine.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How relevant will Twitter be if Musk turns it into Parler 2.0?

While it's already got an established base of users I could see it becoming increasingly irrelevant to people left of Mussolini and the young.

It's happened to Facebook but Facebook is a far bigger company so they can off set an exodus through their other ventures like Instagram. Twitter to my mind doesn't have much else since they shut down Vine.
If he turns it into a magapalooza then people will leave and start their own new platform. And unlike when right wingers attempted to start their own twitter clones, the new platform would likely be successful since there is already a degree of twitter fatigue to where one bad thing happening to Twitter would considerably reduce interest (much as Facebook and its various problems).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's amazing how influential these superbillionaires are. They can get anything they want.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I can see Elon doing something like integrating Twitter into Tesla iPads, just as he has video games. The blowback to allowing the nutty right wingers back on may be a bit too much for him given the equities he has at play with Tesla and SpaceX (hard to predict what will happen here).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So Elon Musk buys Twitter.

Elon Musk lifts Trump’s suspension on Twitter and let’s him say whatever he wants without fact check or censure.

Trump gets back into power.

Elon gets…

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i think people are overestimating the effect of being able to see trump tweeting, on electoral outcomes.
he's been issuing fairly regular, tweet-sized press releases for more than a year now.

Fridge chutney

Are we not all looking forward to more groundbreaking content like this?

Elon Musk is a fragile and narcissistic troll. Twitter will get worse if he buys it.

Halftrack

I've seen so much racism, bigotry and targeted harassment go unpunished on Twitter that I'm not sure how much is going to change. Theoretically, "the algorithm" is supposed to flag and sanction offending tweets, but I've seen virulent racists with posts full of racist, homophobic, transphobic etc. slurs going back years just keep on posting, so clearly it isn't doing much. Meanwhile, I got a 12-hour suspension for telling some racist shithead to go play in traffic (encouraging self-harm, apparently) and numerous other 12-hour suspensions for using too many swears (I'm from Northern Norway, we swear a lot, it's our thing.)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've seen so much racism, bigotry and targeted harassment go unpunished on Twitter that I'm not sure how much is going to change. Theoretically, "the algorithm" is supposed to flag and sanction offending tweets, but I've seen virulent racists with posts full of racist, homophobic, transphobic etc. slurs going back years just keep on posting, so clearly it isn't doing much. Meanwhile, I got a 12-hour suspension for telling some racist shithead to go play in traffic (encouraging self-harm, apparently) and numerous other 12-hour suspensions for using too many swears (I'm from Northern Norway, we swear a lot, it's our thing.)
That would be you thinking that there isn't much that gets filtered out even though there is plenty

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't get why so many people hate Twitter. It's one of the best sites out there. So much going on, loads of funny stuff and 'pigeon in the assembly hall' moments. It's a great way to keep up with current events, football, music, film, etc..

Yes it has bottom feeders on it but what social website doesn't.

CraftySoAndSo

If this goes through twitter's just going to become a bigger version of truth social (not that it isn't already).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
i think people are overestimating the effect of being able to see trump tweeting, on electoral outcomes.
he's been issuing fairly regular, tweet-sized press releases for more than a year now.
I think you’re underestimating his ability to control the political discourse.

For whatever reason, what he says on Twitter then drives the topic of conversation on every news network.