Elyh Harrison | Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
In a year or so when he's likely to be a first choice at a side, yeah. But he'll only be 18 for much of next season. I'm not sure what level team wiill take on someone so young as a first choice keeper. And, generally, keepers stepping up from the U18's will spend some time with the U19's (Europe) and U21's before going out on loan.

I took the comment to be use him as 3rd choice while he's with the U19's/U21's and then take it from there when he's of an age where he should be playing senior football.

I don't think he should be loaned out next season at 18/just 19.
Agreed. Perhaps the best we could hope for is a short emergency loan where an EFL team desperately needs a keeper and thus will play him.

top1whoisman

Scout
Theres a reason he's already u21 keeper this season at such a young age. He's far ahead in development to normal. But he needs to be playing against adult pros not youngsters to get used to coming for crosses and for operating under the pressure of professional football first teams. 5-6 first team games next season isnt going to do a lot, but 30 in the championship should well prepare him for playing in the first team and challenging for a starting spot.
I don’t think there is one Championship team that will make an 18-year old loan keeper their no.1.

Ekeke

I don’t think there is one Championship team that will make an 18-year old loan keeper their no.1.
Beadle played like 20 games this season at 19 and Harrison looks more talented. We've seen plenty of keepers played in top divisions before they are 20 and next season he'll be 19 towards the end of the season like Beadle is now.

top1whoisman

Scout
Beadle played like 20 games this season at 19 and Harrison looks more talented. We've seen plenty of keepers played in top divisions before they are 20 and next season he'll be 19 towards the end of the season like Beadle is now.
That’s fair. Beadle though is 201cm tall so he has that. Hope you’re right and we find a good loan for him.

Ekeke

That’s fair. Beadle though is 201cm tall so he has that. Hope you’re right and we find a good loan for him.
I could absolutely be wrong or the club might want to keep him around to teach him certain stuff so we can use him in the first team quicker. But if I was a manager in the championship and had seen him in these matches I'd be over the moon to have him. He's not a normal 18 year old goalkeeper, he looks 23 and is physically developed like an adult. Not sure how tall Harrison is but he looks a good height for a keeper as well.

Bertie Wooster

Beadle was 19 at the start of this season. There's about 18 months difference between the two, I think.

But he was on loan at Oxford in league one the season before. And James Trafford was on loan in league one with Accrington and Bolton around 19 as well. So, fair enough, he looks good enough that second half of next season, and definitely the following season, we could hopefully be looking at league one / championship loans. But I think next season - certainly the first half of it - is too early for a loan, and especially a championship one at 18.

top1whoisman

Scout
I could absolutely be wrong or the club might want to keep him around to teach him certain stuff so we can use him in the first team quicker. But if I was a manager in the championship and had seen him in these matches I'd be over the moon to have him. He's not a normal 18 year old goalkeeper, he looks 23 and is physically developed like an adult. Not sure how tall Harrison is but he looks a good height for a keeper as well.
I'm sure he'll train only with the first team next season, that will develop him further. But a young keeper needs to play, simple as. Heard so many professional goalkeepers talk about needing to play, at any level. That's why even loans to say National League shouldn't be frowned upon. Lots to learn in the lower leagues, especially for a keeper.

I’m just pointing out that it could be a struggle to find a club and a manager who would be willing to trust a young keeper that much. Especially at Championship level.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Nick Cox:
"Elyh has equipped himself brilliantly throughout the season, consistently performing for our Under-18s, Under-21s and often training with the first team.

"This variety of experiences will stand him in great stead as he continues his development as a really exciting young goalkeeper. Winning this prestigious award at only 18 years of age is really impressive and shows just how mature Elyh is.

"He is a credit to both Tommy Lee, Lead Academy Goalkeeper Coach, and Kevin Wolfe, Academy Goalkeeping coach, who have worked really closely with Elyh."

DarkRed

If we will get to EConL for next season, would it be a good idea to make him the first goalkeeper for it, something like what Leverkusen did with Kovar this season?

top1whoisman

Scout
If we will get to EConL for next season, would it be a good idea to make him the first goalkeeper for it, something like what Leverkusen did with Kovar this season?
Is it only the 6th placed team that goes to the Conference League? FA Cup winners too?

top1whoisman

Scout
If we end up there, I would definitely do it. If we somehow end up in the Europa League, I’d play more or less our best players to give it a go.

top1whoisman

Scout
Not quite...

If we win the FA Cup, us along with 6th get Europa.

If City win the cup, 5th and 6th get Europa and 7th gets Conference.
Ah got it, thanks. I’d kind of want to avoid the Conference League, but if we would play a lot of the youth there, I’m all for it.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Ah got it, thanks. I’d kind of want to avoid the Conference League, but if we would play a lot of the youth there, I’m all for it.
My feelings too but we all know (Assuming ETH stays) that he won't rotate to that degree but I'd love for us to almost view it as reserve/u23 competition and keep the team fresh while giving the youngsters some real experience of European football at mens level.

top1whoisman

Scout
My feelings too but we all know (Assuming ETH stays) that he won't rotate to that degree but I'd love for us to almost view it as reserve/u23 competition and keep the team fresh while giving the youngsters some real experience of European football at mens level.
Exactly. Who knows though, there’s no real upside in doing well in it, so perhaps EtH would rotate heavily and give a chance to some of the youngsters.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

I want us to qualify for Europe, whichever it is. Obviously CL then EL would be better, but I'd much prefer Conference League than nothing. It's still a trophy, just like how winning the League Cup is third on the domestic list after the FA Cup and PL, but still well worth winning. The 'upside' of winning a competition is winning the competition. We're hardly winning so much in the recent decade that we should be looking down our noses at any of the six main European / domestic competitions.

It would also give us more of a chance to field some of the better younger players at times. Though absolutely no way should we treat it like an U23 competition, as we've taken a few hammerings against some of the league one teams in the EFL Trophy - I'm not quite sure what level some people are imagining the Conference League to be, but you get the best teams from the smaller leagues (teams like Olympiakos, who just knocked out Villa over two legs) as well as a smaller number of EL level clubs from the bigger leagues. There's no guarantees we'd win it - but we'd at least be in with a genuine chance, similar to our EL campaigns.

Unlike the CL, we should get through the group stage while being able to give some minutes to some of the better youngsters, mixed with first team regulars. But not if we just pick an U23 team. And there's no need for us to throw a trophy that we have a realistic chance in.

I've said all this, but the likelihood is we won't even qualify for the Conference League. We'll likely finish too low for it. So much for looking down our nose as if we're too good for it!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I want us to qualify for Europe, whichever it is. Obviously CL then EL would be better, but I'd much prefer Conference League than nothing. It's still a trophy, just like how winning the League Cup is third on the domestic list after the FA Cup and PL, but still well worth winning. The 'upside' of winning a competition is winning the competition. We're hardly winning so much in the recent decade that we should be looking down our noses at any of the six main European / domestic competitions.

It would also give us more of a chance to field some of the better younger players at times. Though absolutely no way should we treat it like an U23 competition, as we've taken a few hammerings against some of the league one teams in the EFL Trophy - I'm not quite sure what level some people are imagining the Conference League to be, but you get the best teams from the smaller leagues (teams like Olympiakos, who just knocked out Villa over two legs) as well as a smaller number of EL level clubs from the bigger leagues. There's no guarantees we'd win it - but we'd at least be in with a genuine chance, similar to our EL campaigns.

Unlike the CL, we should get through the group stage while being able to give some minutes to some of the better youngsters, mixed with first team regulars. But not if we just pick an U23 team. And there's no need for us to throw a trophy that we have a realistic chance in.

I've said all this, but the likelihood is we won't even qualify for the Conference League. We'll likely finish too low for it. So much for looking down our nose as if we're too good for it!
Perhaps it's my wording of u23 but u23 year old players, not the u23 squad. I'm talking about fringe players and younger players that don't regularly get in the first team, such as players like Kambwala, Amad (before recently), Bayindir, Forson, Shoretire, Gore, Amass, Wheatley and players like Fernandez, Pellistri etc if they weren't on loan and sprinkle it in with some fringe players who don't regularly start like your Lindelof, Mctominay etc

Ekeke

Great one on ones
Great kicking and composure when approached
Some fantastic shot stopping and good at quickly setting himself for the next one with multiple combo saves