Email Woodward circulated to staff (apparently)

DoomSlayer

Another PR move by the club hierarchy. It means the "Glazers out" movement is starting to heat the seat under their asses.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What's part of that article has people negative? Even if it's a leak he's trying to assure fans of more signings. What's the negative? That he might be lying?
I have absolutely no idea but it seems people hate on Woodward for past transgressions, instead of looking at what he's done this window.

Look: We have penned a good talent in Daniel james, signed a GREAT talent at £50 million pounds, the clubs 6th biggest signing of all time in Wan-Bissaka, close to re-signing Rashford to a long term contract, and we are still in business for more players this window.

Like, what the hell is wrong with that? I want someone to give me one thing that is negative about our transfer window now. Actually negative, not something made up.

VanGaalyTime

What's part of that article has people negative? Even if it's a leak he's trying to assure fans of more signings. What's the negative? That he might be lying?
Smacks of "no value in the market" by talking about inflated fees. It's also crazy obvious this is a leak from Woodward to get fans onside. Just like the recent leaks about Judge. He needs to just shut up and step back from transfers. United are the only ones buying because our squad is a car crash compared to other top teams. To get to even Spurs level we need to spend. To get to city's level, we need to spend the money we should have been spending on transfers and not debt interest. 750m would be about right to match where City are.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That's just how Ed writes. Here's a copy of the e-mail which I had leaked from a mate who works at Old Trafford...

Dear Staff (Employees),

I (Ed Woodward) would like to thank you (the recipient) of your continued dedication to the club (Manchester United) over the last number of months (a unit of time, used with calendars, which is approximately as long as a natural period related to the motion of the Moon).

I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that - despite recent stories in the media - we (the club (Manchester United (a professional football club based in Old Trafford, Manchester (a metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester (help me, I can't stop elaborating in brackets (tall punctuation marks commonly used in matched pairs (please make it stop (send help now)))))))).

Get back to work.

Kind regards,
Ed (The Teflon Don)
:lol:

Moonwalker

The explanation in brackets is added by journalists, so as to make the message intelligible to general readership. It's pretty much standard fare not just in journalism but in academic writing too, whenever an elliptic sentence is being quoted, which pretty common in any sort of informal communication.

Could be false or not, but that's the last thing people should be perplexed about.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Wonder who else would fit this profile? Longstaff obviously one.

But what about a centre back? And what about attacking players? I assume Sterling, Sancho and Kane are out of reach so we're looking at second or third tier players - Fraser / Brooks / Wilson from Bournemouth? Maddison? And even if we got Longstaff I assume we'd still be looking for another deep lying midfielder.

Last edited:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Another PR move by the club hierarchy. It means the "Glazers out" movement is starting to heat the seat under their asses.
I'd say that "protest" today gave them a great laugh and will have quelled a large portion of whatever concerns they have.

manutddjw

To me it’s putting everything on Ole. In Ed’s mind I bet he thinks the backlash is because we’re not signing established world class players. This just looks like we’re signing the players Ole wants and it’s his vision and I’m acting on his request.

DoomSlayer

I'd say that "protest" today gave them a great laugh and will have quelled a large portion of whatever concerns they have.
That's just the beginning, hopefully. We need trustworthy people to lead the way and I really hope our club legends start to support the movement in the future.

0161_UNITED

I’m supportive of the approach, we need to build a team from the ground up, practically. Our fullbacks Young and Valencia have come to the end of the line. Jones and Smalling have never formed a solid partnership. Matic looks like he’s nearing the end. Basically we need to supplement the younger guys like Shaw, Lindelhof, wan-Bissaka, Martial and Rashford.

Our wage structure looks blown, and we have to address that as well. People are all over Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Lingard, Martial, Pogba, Rashford for contract extensions, social media, etc. I have concerns, too, about their performances as well. At least they play though!

The “real problems” are Rojo, Darmian and Sanchez. I keep seeing people saying, “Tielemans for only £45 million? We should be all over that! Alderweireld for £25 million, why aren’t we in for that?”

Imagine being their agent! “Ok, let’s talk wages. Darmian is on what? Rojo? Ok, we’ll they don’t even play, so let’s set the floor there and should start going up.”

That’s before we get into Alexis. The club may seriously have to consider building a team despite his wages still being on the books. For the life of me, unless he rediscovers himself at the Copa America and kicks on here, I don’t know what options the club has.

We need to build a core team of young players. Of course, we should still go in for some experienced players when the time is right like we did with Rio, Berbatov, Tevez. It’s the cherry on top of the sundae.

Despite whatever concerns I have about the Glazers, Woodward or Ole right now, I do support the approach wholeheartedly. Our galactico period was an unmitigated disaster. Get in some young players who want to be here and prove themselves and aren’t going to announce they’re ready for the next challenge while on international duty.

Eric's Seagull

This seems as if it is a leak by Woody to appease the fans.

It seems as if he Woody is using the "there's no value in the market" as an excuse to hide behind to not fully backing Ole, which if true is terrible. When he is talking about working on getting players fit to the long term vision, I think he is just talking crap to make it look like he is trying and then he can say we tried but there is no value in the market.

One of the key points to me is "Ole's philosophy and plan's for building his team" I think Woody should just keep his nose out of recruitment and concern himself with negotiating contracts and give Ole a set budget, so he can instil his philosophy and start building his team.

I also think that all money from potential sales should be fully invested back into the team, which may or may not happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was hoping for an actual email to staff, leaked.

What a let down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It seems as if he Woody is using the "there's no value in the market" as an excuse to hide behind to not fully backing Ole, which if true is terrible. When he is talking about working on getting players fit to the long term vision, I think he is just talking crap to make it look like he is trying and then he can say we tried but there is no value in the market.

One of the key points to me is "Ole's philosophy and plan's for building his team" I think Woody should just keep his nose out of recruitment and concern himself with negotiating contracts and give Ole a set budget, so he can instil his philosophy and start building his team.

I also think that all money from potential sales should be fully invested back into the team, which may or may not happen.
At least it is vaguely true these days, when the likes of Maguire are being talked about at 80m!

In the days Fergie used the line, it was shameless Glazer protection.

Acquire Me

I have absolutely no idea but it seems people hate on Woodward for past transgressions, instead of looking at what he's done this window.

Look: We have penned a good talent in Daniel james, signed a GREAT talent at £50 million pounds, the clubs 6th biggest signing of all time in Wan-Bissaka, close to re-signing Rashford to a long term contract, and we are still in business for more players this window.

Like, what the hell is wrong with that? I want someone to give me one thing that is negative about our transfer window now. Actually negative, not something made up.
I agree. Nothing wrong with our transfer dealings so far. I for one are very excited.

Cloud7

That's just the beginning, hopefully. We need trustworthy people to lead the way and I really hope our club legends start to support the movement in the future.
They aren’t, and aren’t ever going to. A lot of them are on the club payroll, and the ones that aren’t already won’t want to burn that bridge.

Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Nev are all club owners themselves. They aren’t going to come out attacking another club owner.

DoomSlayer

They aren’t, and aren’t ever going to. A lot of them are on the club payroll, and the ones that aren’t already won’t want to burn that bridge.

Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Nev are all club owners themselves. They aren’t going to come out attacking another club owner.
I understand but still remain hopeful that there still are people involved with the club, who care about our honour and legacy, not just lining their pockets as much as possible in the short term.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
:lol: that was my first thought.

Surprised at the end it didn't say

“Aaron fits perfectly with Ole’s philosophy and plans for building his team (Manchester United) and is a player who will excite our great fans as the season unfolds.”
Ole(Norwegian,Ex Utd striker) philosophy and plans(ideas strategy etc) for building his(Ole, Utd Manager) team( Utd) and is a player(football) who will excite our(Utd) great fans as the season (19/20) unfolds

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

But how does it seem as if he's not backing Ole? He's backed every manager sometimes to our detriment. At least they seem to have a plan. I and others would prefer a proper football person in charge of that side, but he's still trying.
Plus he's right. The fees are inflated. It doesn't mean he's not trying. It would be nice not to be fleeced for once. We've been paying over the odds for years with nothing to show for it. Let's take our time and see what happens.

Jazz

I understand but still remain hopeful that there still are people involved with the club, who care about our honour and legacy, not just lining their pockets as much as possible in the short term.
It could be worse, we could have Kroenke......
All owners line their pockets. It's not a question of them not investing, look at all the money that's been spent. It's the lack of a plan and organisation that's been our problem.

RoyH1

That's just how Ed writes. Here's a copy of the e-mail which I had leaked from a mate who works at Old Trafford...

Dear Staff (Employees),

I (Ed Woodward) would like to thank you (the recipient) of your continued dedication to the club (Manchester United) over the last number of months (a unit of time, used with calendars, which is approximately as long as a natural period related to the motion of the Moon).

I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that - despite recent stories in the media - we (the club (Manchester United (a professional football club based in Old Trafford, Manchester (a metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester (help me, I can't stop elaborating in brackets (tall punctuation marks commonly used in matched pairs (please make it stop (send help now)))))))).

Get back to work.

Kind regards,
Ed (The Teflon Don)
:lol::lol::lol:

This might be the best thing I've read all year. I salute you.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Am I alright in saying that this looks like Woodward and co are stressing out over the anti-Glazer momentum building? Or does that make me an entitled, spoiled, overly negative, bad supporter? Just checking.

DoomSlayer

It could be worse, we could have Kroenke......
All owners line their pockets. It's not a question of them not investing, look at all the money that's been spent. It's the lack of a plan and organisation that's been our problem.
Arsenal have never been as big of a club as us and never will be with people like Kroenke in charge. Domestically, only Liverpool is our rival in that department.

The money is a problem when it is wasted and when we neglect the basic core of the club like modernising the facilities, the stadium and the structure of operations on every level. Currently we need the Glazers to invest money from their pockets (since they basically earned billions from United) and they seemingly won't do it.

0161_UNITED

I have absolutely no idea why depictions of Ed Woodward as a bumbling idiot like Ricky Gervais in “The Office” bring some of you lot such pleasure. Carry on.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A badly planned event is worse than no event at all. You do a cause harm by making bad arguments for it, and same with a protest planned terribly with minimum notice. It won't nullify what is a huge momentum on social media. I believe this will grow and manifest properly outside of social media.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Amazing how most think this is BS, but if it was an email leaked that was negative and talked about how we weren't going to sign anyone most would believe it's real...

Eric's Seagull

But how does it seem as if he's not backing Ole? He's backed every manager sometimes to our detriment. At least they seem to have a plan. I and others would prefer a proper football person in charge of that side, but he's still trying.
Plus he's right. The fees are inflated. It doesn't mean he's not trying. It would be nice not to be fleeced for once. We've been paying over the odds for years with nothing to show for it. Let's take our time and see what happens.
To my eye it looks like he is saying this as he only plans to spend 'x' amount and is making excuses so he doesn't look tight to the fans. I could be wrong.

I agree with your point about him backing every manager and that hasn't done us any favours, which is why I think we should have hired a DoF sooner. Maybe he decided that he forked out so much money buying dross the last few seasons that he doesn't want to do it with Ole in case he gets bitten again. If this is the case, this further highlights the need for the mythical DoF/Technical Director that we have been crying out for.

I think he needs to get used to a market where fees are higher than they used to be and just pay up what they want to get the transfer done and move on to the next one quick time, assuming he is only working on one transfer at a time, which I hope is wrong as Ole wanted all the signings in by the start of preseason, which I think is going to feck us over.
I personally wouldn't want to pay stupid money although I would much rather pay what said club is asking for a decent player, rather than see them move to a different team or because we didn't put up another few million even worse not getting another player in who plays in that position, when we fail to sign first player.

Jezpeza

The idea that they put out all staff emails like this is hilarious. Suppose the kit lady, canteen manager and gift shop manager were cc’d in as well.

Utter shite

Water Melon

Dear Staff (Employees),

Get back to work.

Kind regards,
Ed (The Teflon Don)
Long live, Sir! I missed some intellectual humour.

Jazz

Arsenal have never been as big of a club as us and never will be with people like Kroenke in charge. Domestically, only Liverpool is our rival in that department.

The money is a problem when it is wasted and when we neglect the basic core of the club like modernising the facilities, the stadium and the structure of operations on every level. Currently we need the Glazers to invest money from their pockets (since they basically earned billions from United) and they seemingly won't do it.
You're seemingly moving the goal posts......
The reality is there are no perfect owners. The club generates a lot of money and are able to make structural changes without them having to 'personally' fund it. What they should be accused of is the total lack of organisation on the football side of things. However, considering how much they've spent/wasted, I hardly think we can complain about them not buying players. They just have the wrong people in charge of football matters.