Email Woodward circulated to staff (apparently)

NJM78

This obviously intentional leak is surely just to quell the fans enthusiam of signing some top class players they have actual heard of (AWB aside). All the philosophy bollocks is just that, we are not a draw for top players anymore so we will just have to be happy with who we can get and just hope it works out.

No one can tell me there are not players out there better than Daniel James or the likes of Sean Longstaff.

I'll eat my words if come August 8th we have signed some top talent but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

haram

Brief after the summer window closed last summer having failed to sign a defender, brief about the DOF, brief after GlazersOut....

JohnnyKills

Nothing really new, again just confirms we are targeting young, hungry, talented players for a long term approach.

In an internal email to staff - seen by The Daily Telegraph - that was sent shortly before the official announcement of Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s £50 million move from Crystal Palace on Saturday, Woodward moved to quell some of the hysteria around the club by offering reassurance that they were busy “calmly” implementing their summer transfer plans.

In the email, distributed around 10 minutes before Wan-Bissaka’s transfer was made official, Woodward wrote: “Despite the inflated nature of the transfer market and constant speculation and stories, which can be misleading, the recruitment team - in conjunction with the manager (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer) - are working calmly behind the scenes to bring in other exciting players that fit their long-term vision for the club.”

“Following the arrival of Daniel James from Swansea earlier this month, I am delighted to confirm that we have signed exciting young defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace,” Woodward wrote.

“Aaron fits perfectly with Ole’s philosophy and plans for building his team and is a player who will excite our great fans as the season unfolds.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ls-manchester-united-plans-sign-moreexciting/
Funny how this was 'leaked' on the same day as the Glazer protest.

Don't fall for it folks.

SaintMuppet

People will get angry about anything these days
Seriously?

You think we have nothing to get arsy about? We are watching the slow strangulated demise of something many people have loved for decades, a intrinsic part of our sad f@@@ed up lives. People should think before typing rubbish.

Love you really

Jezpeza

This obviously intentional leak is surely just to quell the fans enthusiam of signing some top class players they have actual heard of (AWB aside). All the philosophy bollocks is just that, we are not a draw for top players anymore so we will just have to be happy with who we can get and just hope it works out.

No one can tell me there are not players out there better than Daniel James or the likes of Sean Longstaff.

I'll eat my words if come August 8th we have signed some top talent but I highly doubt it.
Its not a proper leak. A leak would be someone in the finance department letting out they've been told to send a 70 million bank transfer to x club, or a cleaner seeing x player entering the medical department.

This is a well prepared statement. It potentially has me worried. IMO Woodward wants to backhandedly tell us now that they feel the market is inflated. Then maybe he can refer back to it later as an excuse. But he doesn't want to come out directly and say we wont be spending.

We’re up to where we were last year - a 50 million player and a young prospect. That could be the lot again. Remember how we sat there in disbelief after fred arrived and watched as we did nothing? Could be set to that again. Our net spend under the glazers has averaged 58 million a season so who knows.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we see some more arrivals

Celoti23-81

Spot on. I don't buy this new transfer strategy we are all of a sudden using as a chosen path to bring the club back to Utd standards. It's more of an indictment that we are not in the Champions League and we have an unknown quantity as a manager! Does it not speak volumes that some of our top brass want out and are more than happy to speak out about it.
AWB is a good signing, I wouldn't say it is a top one as he could well buckle under the pressure. Same with Dan James. How many Utd supporters will expect miracles from these players from the off, going by this forum, the most of them!
Eric Bailly, Lindelof, Dalot etc, they were young when we signed them, because they are foreign are they not hungry? Rashford and Lingard, youth products, mancs, they looked as bad as some of the “bad influence” players we signed that downed tools.

All this has come from the Alexis Sanchez signing, nothing else! You could argue Di Maria too, but argentians have been a problem at Utd for years, so it's not a one off!

Scholsey2004

I wonder how much time per day ed spends updating the tea lady and the janitors on transfer news by email?

elsparkio

Spot on. I don't buy this new transfer strategy we are all of a sudden using as a chosen path to bring the club back to Utd standards. It's more of an indictment that we are not in the Champions League and we have an unknown quantity as a manager! Does it not speak volumes that some of our top brass want out and are more than happy to speak out about it.
AWB is a good signing, I wouldn't say it is a top one as he could well buckle under the pressure. Same with Dan James. How many Utd supporters will expect miracles from these players from the off, going by this forum, the most of them!
Eric Bailly, Lindelof, Dalot etc, they were young when we signed them, because they are foreign are they not hungry? Rashford and Lingard, youth products, mancs, they looked as bad as some of the “bad influence” players we signed that downed tools.

All this has come from the Alexis Sanchez signing, nothing else! You could argue Di Maria too, but argentians have been a problem at Utd for years, so it's not a one off!
Need to accept that the existing policy didn't work. We threw money at mercenaries and didn't get anything (players and managers). So what does Ole have to lose lose by signing the likes of James? The lad has serious talent. Same with AWB. Personally I would be happy with a season of unknown and be surprised. Instead of going out and payment crazy money for more "top names" who don't even know where the Bishops Blaize is or care and then giving out when they don't care about united or the fans. Give Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Scotty McT, James and AWB regular playing time and see what happens.