Emergency Board Meeting called to discuss the future of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He should resign then. Save some face.
Im not sure if he quit he would save face, it would be admitting defeat and he cant do the job. Although hes begging to be sacked doesnt mean he can walk away himself.
Its the job dreams are made of, the pinnacle of his career and to give it up voluntarily would haunt him, imagine he resigned but the board were willing to give him til the end of the season for example, he could turn it round, crazy as it sounds. Fair play to him he stuck the interview out and answered the questions and didnt hide, probably avoiding the changing room and Ronaldo giving him the hair dryer treatment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The big concern for me about Zidane is his real reluctance to ever entertain taking the job until now, as he doesn’t seem to have any interest in leaving his current life.

We saw with Mourinho how unsustainable it is to essentially be a football manager working away from home. Being a football manager isn’t just a job. You need to commit and embrace the place where the club is to have any real chance of making it sustainable.

There’s worse ideas than Zidane being a fairly short-term appointment to take us through the Ronaldo years, but if you are going to pursue that option to have to immediately start the succession planning. The chance are Zidane won’t stick around for more 18 months, let alone 2.5 seasons or longer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fair enough. Had to be.

He’s in line for a huge payoff. He’ll still be a legend. I don’t think any manager can win with these owners refusing to sell unhappy players etc. we will always come up short if we continue be as reactive as we have been post Fergie. Our transition into Liverpool is complete.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
post match interview was a hard watch, near cried for him at the end of it. Hes begging to be sacked, going home for international week he was probably going for a reset and fresh attack at getting things back on track, then today the players all let him down massively.
That was painful, I love him as a bloke and a player, it hurts ti see him a: fail so badly and b: so obviously broken by the jib

United492

I have absolutely no animosity towards the bloke, I'd like to thank him for giving us a period of post Moyes-LVG-Jose optimism. I feel for him as he looks broken, but that is on the club for putting him a "sink or swim" situation as someone who is clearly not up to the job and, unfortunately, he's been sinking for some time.

Part of that is also on him though for not getting in experienced coaches around him. The last few weeks have completely baffled me with regards to the results, but particularly the performances and lack of fight - and not forgetting the recent badly-conceived holiday.

Cheers Ole, still a club legend in my eyes, especially as a player, thanks for your efforts and I wish you well.

choccy77

The board don't want to pay him £7.5m

It's that stupid decision making that has cost us for the last 8 to 9 years.

Fellini signed more expensive instead of triggering his release clause and its just gone from worse from there.

Why give Jones and then Ole new contracts... makes no sense at all.

Chairman Steve

Custis has good sources, not always reliable but gets a scoop once in a while. He first reported that we hijacked the Lukaku deal from Chelsea.

Gasmeter

Are football managerial contracts that clear cut though?

Take our position in the league in interims, our goal ratio, points per block of games...

Are managerial contracts not complex documents, with clauses that favour the board in sacking an incompetent manager? Offering 7 million to be sacked at any stage, regardless of specific performance milestones seems a tad irresponsible. I know our board and the word irresponsible are synonymous with each other, but surly high value contracts will have sackable provisios built within them no?

BerryBerryShrew

The big concern for me about Zidane is his real reluctance to ever entertain taking the job until now, as he doesn’t seem to have any interest in leaving his current life.

We saw with Mourinho how unsustainable it is to essentially be a football manager working away from home. Being a football manager isn’t just a job. You need to commit and embrace the place where the club is to have any real chance of making it sustainable.

There’s worse ideas than Zidane being a fairly short-term appointment to take us through the Ronaldo years, but if you are going to pursue that option to have to immediately start the succession planning. The chance are Zidane won’t stick around for more 18 months, let alone 2.5 seasons or longer.
Zidane didn't really want to be Real manager either- he wanted to be a DOF or an executive or something- and that turned out ok.

He never really gave the impression of trying too hard when he was a player either. He just swanned around being effortlessly better than everyone else.

A half arsed Zidane is better than a whole arsed anyone else.

stw2022

Fellini signed more expensive instead of triggering his release clause and its just gone from worse from there.

Why give Jones and then Ole new contracts... makes no sense at all.

No way will it cost£7.5m to sack him.

“If you’re sacked because you’re not good enough you’ll get the entire remaining value of your contact” has never been a thing in any industry where contracts aren’t written in finger paints

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No way will it cost£7.5m to sack him.

“If you’re sacked because you’re not good enough you’ll get the entire remaining value of your contact” has never been a thing in any industry where contracts aren’t written in finger paints
His 3 year contract would be way more than £7.5m though, probably closer to £20m

cyberman

The Sun is a pile of shit. As is Custis. But he does have *some* sources at the club at least.
Na he types that much shit that he kicks out by law of averages. The count told us we had Trippier tied up last Sunday

Udmaster

Sack him and give the interim job to Ernesto Valverde.
He is free

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The Irony here is that Donny playing really well is a bad look for Ole. He's been trucking away with two shams while DVB wasted on the bench.

That and the high five to Maguire - i'd have been spitting flames at him, but then again if I was the manager i'd have dropped him today.
Donny and Sancho played well, was very impressed with the way Donny held the ball and forced people to run instead of the easy job of passig backwards.
Agree on Maguire hes been brutal all season and should not have started the game, Shaw as well. Is a new manager going to sort this out or is it another overhaul needed? After the recent performances they look bang average and not United material

Mailo

Please no Zidane, Rodgers etc. Get a caretaker manager in till summer. and go all in for Ten Hag.

Roboc7

Those two goals at the end have finished him off, at 2-1 he was still in a job. I didn’t want us to lose but those two goals are blessing in disguise as can at least attempt to save season now. Another 3-4 games of Ole in charge and it would have been pretty much over.

Dominos

“Part of the board/officials pushing to sack the manager immediately”

Who is the other part of the board/officials that want this to continue? That’s a potential massive concern.
He's a massive bullshitter.

Even our British journos who have reported on United for 15+ years don't pretend to be on the pulse over the inner thoughts of our board members. How does a random Italian journo have instant inside information on what happens in our boardroom?

I'm sure he has some connections to agents for transfer stories but he fills in the blanks with guesswork on issues he has no knowledge of.

Status
Not open for further replies.