Emi Martinez

Zoo

Brilliant save to deny Coady today. He’s a fantastic all-round keeper.

Sylar

Every keeper I think of has made absolutely huge blunders

I'm trying to think if Ederson has but the rest definitely have. Not sure if Martinez has though, he always looks commanding

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I'm trying to think if Ederson has but the rest definitely have. Not sure if Martinez has though, he always looks commanding
West Ham at home when he chucked in the two Lingard goals was his worst performance by a mile.

Someone at club needs to do showreel of his saves this season as it would be some watch. Old fashioned part of me loves how he actually catches crosses instead of punching them clear as majority of keepers do nowadays.

Lee565

He is a massive reason why villa are in such a good position in the league, starting to believe he is the type of keeper that can help transform a top 4 team into legit title contenders in the same way allison did with liverpool.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

He's actually made quite a few over the last few years but this season in particular I think there was one against Leeds.

Sylar

West Ham at home when he chucked in the two Lingard goals was his worst performance by a mile.

Someone at club needs to do showreel of his saves this season as it would be some watch. Old fashioned part of me loves how he actually catches crosses instead of punching them clear as majority of keepers do nowadays.
If that was his worst then you guys got a... Keeper

United have ddg but thankfully Henderson may come in for some games now
Everton have Pickford who is their best which is quite something
Liverpool have Allison making blunders week after week now (and he's better than Adrian)
Spurs have Lloris who is making mistakes

Some of the top team keepers / first choices look like blunders waiting to happen

Sylar

He's actually made quite a few over the last few years but this season in particular I think there was one against Leeds.
Yeah I remember the last few seasons including a few against us :)
This season looks like he's cut out big blunders but it probably helps in recent matches (well since December) their defence has been superb

Varun1

What do you guys think of Sanchez at Brighton? Is it all about his height?
Watched B&H on TV a few times, I really like their brand of football, more so than ours or Leeds who many rave about!

AKDevil

had one game recently where he let in two goals when there were question marks. Only ones though. One concern? He’s barely played a PL game in front of a crowd.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We needed the money and it helped us buy Partey.

I was sad to see him go but even after his form this season I still think selling him was the right move.
Why couldn't you sell Leno?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why couldn't you sell Leno?
Because he was their player of the season? I mean both Leno and Martinez are really good keepers (Leno has turned out much better than I thought he would when he joined), Martinez is having a better season this time but while he's number 1 in the EPL in PSxG - Goals Conceded per 90 (+0.3), Leno is not far behind at number 6 (+0.2).

Last season and the season before, Leno was number 4 in the EPL in the same statistic (+0.21 and +0.13). Leno's been a consistent keeper since joining Arsenal, especially the last two seasons, and therefore it made sense that they stick with him given that he's been consistent for longer than Martinez has been.

One thing Martinez definitely has over Leno is stopping crosses, where he's more confident, while Leno sweeps more than Martinez does.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because he was their player of the season? I mean both Leno and Martinez are really good keepers (Leno has turned out much better than I thought he would when he joined), Martinez is having a better season this time but while he's number 1 in the EPL in PSxG - Goals Conceded per 90 (+0.3), Leno is not far behind at number 6 (+0.2).

Last season and the season before, Leno was number 4 in the EPL in the same statistic (+0.21 and +0.13). Leno's been a consistent keeper since joining Arsenal, especially the last two seasons, and therefore it made sense that they stick with him given that he's been consistent for longer than Martinez has been.

One thing Martinez definitely has over Leno is stopping crosses, where he's more confident, while Leno sweeps more than Martinez does.
I never knew this and I never knew Martinez was a later career bloomer like Vardy.

As a neutral in that final year when Leno vs Martinez were competing for the No1 spot it looked very obvious to me who was the more commanding presence as a goalkeeper.

When Arsenal sold Martinez and kept Leno I was shocked.

It felt like Arsenal kept the player with bigger name, the player that previously had a better career - even though to me it was obvious from that season on that Martinez was the better GK.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I never knew this and I never knew Martinez was a later career bloomer like Vardy.

As a neutral in that final year when Leno vs Martinez were competing for the No1 spot it looked very obvious to me who was the more commanding presence as a goalkeeper.

When Arsenal sold Martinez and kept Leno I was shocked.

It felt like Arsenal kept the player with bigger name, the player that previously had a better career - even though to me it was obvious from that season on that Martinez was the better GK.
The worry was that it might have just been a purple patch for Martinez. This season has shown it wasn't, but selling Leno and keeping a Martinez who'd only had a good 6 months was riskier than the opposite.

Our very poor transfer activity in the last few years means we can't really afford to be taking risks with transfers anymore.

Zoo

Wait for the celebration at the end. Arsenal really blundered letting him go.

TheSufferingVillain

Supports
aston villa
This guy is without doubt the best signing Villa have made in many a long year. Great scouting by the club and I am still surprised that no one else was in for him. ESL next? :smirk:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wait for the celebration at the end. Arsenal really blundered letting him go.

Thing is the everyone could see he was better than Leno, everyone apart from the people at Arsenal though it seems

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Thing is the everyone could see he was better than Leno, everyone apart from the people at Arsenal though it seems
Please, even Arsenal could see he was better than Leno. But was he 20m better? No, he wasn't.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
So Leno is worth £0?
Too high wages, would've left on a free after a couple of loans. He still might mind you, but at least we got 20m for Martinez. And as someone who's watched both of them, the difference between them isn't that much. Martinez is better in the box, Leno is the better shot stopper.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
People forget Leno was probably Arsenal's player of the season that season before he got injured.

Martinez is a very good keeper but wanted to be total number 1 somewhere guaranteed. He made demands & because of his service we granted him his wish to leave.

Leno is still a good goalkeeper, & saved us lots of times last season, even if there was a couple of mistakes.

Ekeke

Too high wages, would've left on a free after a couple of loans. He still might mind you, but at least we got 20m for Martinez. And as someone who's watched both of them, the difference between them isn't that much. Martinez is better in the box, Leno is the better shot stopper.
Why couldnt you have gone with Martinez as number 1 and sold Leno?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Why couldnt you have gone with Martinez as number 1 and sold Leno?
You can only sell the keeper there has been bids for to be fair. And it was Martinez making demands backing the club into a corner.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Isn't there talk Leno wants to leave now due to not being in european competition? Just checked and saw he signed 5 year deal in 2018 and no talk of contract renewal so you'll probably have to sell him next season for less than you sold Emi to us. :lol:

Arsenal in a proper mess these days, probably why we're trolling them putting in a new bid for Smith Rowe every week.

Ekeke

You can only sell the keeper there has been bids for to be fair. And it was Martinez making demands backing the club into a corner.
I think its pretty clear that if Leno had been made available a club would have offered money for him

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think its pretty clear that if Leno had been made available a club would have offered money for him
There's been talk he might want out this summer & not seen any clubs linked so far, never mind any bids.

However, I suspect that might all just be paper talk.

As others have said, the difference between Leno & Martinez isn't that great that we need to cry over it. Both are good keepers, both good enough to be number 1's, so the transfer had worked out for everyone.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did Arsenal sign Matt Ryan on a permanent in the end or is that Icelandic kid back up to number 2 again?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Did Arsenal sign Matt Ryan on a permanent in the end or is that Icelandic kid back up to number 2 again?
Matt Ryan going to Sociedad, the Icelandic kid looks like going to Turkey, we want a new keeper, preferably home grown apparently. Been linked to Lookman, Ramsdale, Johnstone but also Onana & Neto.