Emi Martinez

Josep Dowling

I hope every person who says we should not have sold him are not accountants or dealing with any sort of money in their job. It was the correct decision then and it still is now.
It clearly isn’t as you sold your best performing goalkeeper for peanuts. If anything you should have cashed in on Leno.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going from a ten years past his best Pepe Reina to this guy must be one of the biggest upgrades in PL history.
Reina was still better than Nyland.

Had mad luck with keepers. We orginally got in Tom Heaton who was solid enough. one game he missed before xmas was at Wolves, Jed Steer comes in and does his ACL 5 minutes after the start. Heats then gets a similar injury at Burnley on NYD and takes nearly a year to recover. I assume he'll get a game v Liverpool next week.

Nyland also got a season ending ACL injury halfway through the promotion season. Example there of a keeper who spreads panic through a defence with terrible decision making, Martinez complete opposite.

My favourite Villa keeper remains Bosnich but Emi going to have a good run at it I suspect as I was really impressed by how well he did coming in for Arsenal and playing big part in FA cup win.

Top mentality and think he'll be Argentina's keeper at 2022 world cup, only a matter of time before he becomes their number one.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Another fantastic game from him the save which he tipped onto the bar by Fernandes was amazing.

Djemba-Djemba

Reina was still better than Nyland.

Had mad luck with keepers. We orginally got in Tom Heaton who was solid enough. one game he missed before xmas was at Wolves, Jed Steer comes in and does his ACL 5 minutes after the start. Heats then gets a similar injury at Burnley on NYD and takes nearly a year to recover. I assume he'll get a game v Liverpool next week.

Nyland also got a season ending ACL injury halfway through the promotion season. Example there of a keeper who spreads panic through a defence with terrible decision making, Martinez complete opposite.

My favourite Villa keeper remains Bosnich but Emi going to have a good run at it I suspect as I was really impressed by how well he did coming in for Arsenal and playing big part in FA cup win.

Top mentality and think he'll be Argentina's keeper at 2022 world cup, only a matter of time before he becomes their number one.
Oh I don't know Nyland, was he when you were in the Championship?

Friedel was good wasn't he? He was fecking sensational at Blackburn I remember that.

I'm not just saying this but I'm glad to see Villa are doing so well, always had respect for Villa.

saivet

It clearly isn’t as you sold your best performing goalkeeper for peanuts. If anything you should have cashed in on Leno.
For a 28 year old keeper that had made 20 top flight league appearances (15 PL, 5 La Liga) in his career getting up to £20m was far from peanuts. I don't think Leno is anything special but he's been alright for Arsenal and was having a good season before he got injured.

CM

I have to admit I laughed at some of the notions of Arsenal fans towards the end of last season but Martinez has been excellent for Villa. Best goalkeeper in the league so far this season.

Djemba-Djemba

Either way he’s not a “kid” but go ahead and take the win. Happy for you.
I'd have pulled him up on putting "if your going to quote me" instead of "if you're going to quote me" if he was being that pedantic with me.

You're much less childish than I am Pogue.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It clearly is because our defence does not look worse, it's pretty much the same.
Martinez is a very solid keeper and is better at crosses than Leno. Everything else they're pretty much the same or Leno is better. Leno saved our asses for 2 years straight before his unfortunate injury. Martinez did a fantastic job for a few months.

Arsenal rely a lot more on gates receipts than other clubs and are owned by somebody who is not known to invest (he had no choice for Partey, now or never transfer).

Martinez was also one of the very few sellable assets we had, we are Contract Rundown FC. What we want to sell doesn't want to leave. The other area we could have made money was at RB with either Bellerin to PSG (laughable offer, they couldnt do anything with FFP) or AMN to Wolves for around the same amount. If Leno is your #1 who has more chances to prove useful over a season ? Martinez or AMN ? It's a no brainer. Martinez did not want to fight for his spot any longer, he wanted to be made number one. There was no market for Leno, he's not going to go to another PL club unless it's a big one no offence to Villa. No german clubs ever inquired about him because his situation was clear all summer.

Chambers/Sokratis should have been moved on but we're talking maybe 10/12m for the lot. It didn't happen for various reasons.

20M for a backup keeper that won't play more than 10/15 games a season is not peanuts in a covid world. Not to Arsenal at least and that's all that matters.
And yes Runarsson is proving to be absolute garbage and will be a #3 probably as soon as this summer if we can get that Brentford guy that our GK coach raves about. Or anybody else.

Raredaredevil

I completely forgot he used to play for Arsenal. Was he a flop at Arsenal or something? He doesn't seem to get an opportunity there. All I know is he has singlehandedly got me a lot of points for FPL. Along with Pope, he is probably the most solid goalkeeper in England at the moment.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Sounds like this is his usual performance? I assumed he was channeling his inner Brad Friedel.

Raw

I completely forgot he used to play for Arsenal. Was he a flop at Arsenal or something? He doesn't seem to get an opportunity there. All I know is he has singlehandedly got me a lot of points for FPL. Along with Pope, he is probably the most solid goalkeeper in England at the moment.
He played a lot for them later on last season, and played every game in their FA Cup win. He did very well for them yet they still sold him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Steady game tonight. :D
He's absolutely brilliant and you've got a real gem on your hands - what stood out last year for him was his aggression in the box. From when he took over I'm pretty sure he was fairly comfortably the best keeper in the PL at coming for crosses whilst being an above average shot stopper - this season has just cemented that. Heaton historically has been incredibly reluctant to come off his line, and based on what I've seen of Villa this year Martinez's willingness to be proactive has helped your CBs hugely.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Think he would've emerged earlier if not for that Reading 7-5 game. It made up everyone's mind about him, and it took a long time to change it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Glad to see he's doing great, he was excellent when he came in for us last season, & he defo deserves to be a starter somewhere.

To be fair to us, Leno has been really good for us this season so in that sense I can't say that we've really missed him, it's just 1 of those transfers where the guy deserves to be first choice somewhere & Villa has been a great choice & it's worked out brilliant.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Glad to see he's doing great, he was excellent when he came in for us last season, & he defo deserves to be a starter somewhere.

To be fair to us, Leno has been really good for us this season so in that sense I can't say that we've really missed him, it's just 1 of those transfers where the guy deserves to be first choice somewhere & Villa has been a great choice & it's worked out brilliant.
Who did the fans want to stay Leno or Martinez?

As a opposition I was shocked you went to keep Leno instead of Martinez because the latter looked dominant as a GK and one that controls his defenders/area.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Who did the fans want to stay Leno or Martinez?

As a opposition I was shocked you went to keep Leno instead of Martinez because the latter looked dominant as a GK and one that controls his defenders/area.
Think it was really mixed. As I say, Martinez came in & did really well, but people forget as well Leno was probably our player of the season before he got injured.

The weird thing was no-one could really see that level of performance coming from Martinez. He's been the cup goalie for a few years & didn't really excel, over the years he's let in 5 at Reading, 5 at Anfield amongst others & didn't really look particularly good. I know he had a good loan spell at Reading that probably stood him in good stead, but when Leno got injured it was as if he just seemed to say to himself, right, this is my time, it's now or never!

I understand why after so long & coming in & doing so well why he wanted to be first choice. However I also understand why Arteta couldn't promise him that after just a good few months. So as much as I'd have loved him to stay, I could understand the transfer from all sides. And given Martinez & Leno's form since, don't think either side can complain.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Begs the question where does De Gea rate amongst Premier league keepers this season?

Off the top of my head, I'd have:

Martinez
Shemicheal
Pope
Allison
Emerson

Possibly Lloris and Guita.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought he looked brilliant for Arsenal last year and couldn't understand where he'd been all this while and why he wasn't moving to a bigger club.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Only 28 - I wonder whether he'll be given a chance at a big club again given his incredible performances this season? Genuinely looks like a great shot stopper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Like I said, going from the ghost of Pepe Reina/some random Norwegian keeper to Emiliano Martinez is by far the biggest upgrade any side made this summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Like I said, going from the ghost of Pepe Reina/some random Norwegian keeper to Emiliano Martinez is by far the biggest upgrade any side made this summer.
We only had those in due to Tom Heaton getting a bad injury at Burnley last January. Worth remembering that Jed Steer was our second choice then and he did his ACL at Wolves a few months before.

Never rated Nyland but he actually got injured in our promotion season aswell so first we signed Lovre Kalinic for 7m which didn't work out and then we recalled Steer from Charlton who did work out.

Steer cult hero for playing his part in us getting promoted and as said Heaton has proven himself for years as solid mid tier prem keeper who probably should've had more England caps but Emi is just a level above them so this is the strongest group of keepers we've had for a good decade.