Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Sick, just sick. How is this even possibile?
The internet will ALWAYS find a way, Blame the days of smart phones and social media but There’s also sites dedicated to death, if a celebrity/famous person dies their body will likely end up online. I’ve too have seen the pic and it’s gruesome there’s not much left of him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The internet will ALWAYS find a way, Blame the days of smart phones and social media but There’s also sites dedicated to death, if a celebrity/famous person dies their body will likely end up online. I’ve too have seen the pic and it’s gruesome there’s not much left of him.
The internet is just a hub, but it doesn’t take the photos. That’s done by some low life

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Lost a lot of respect for Cardiff in all this, trying to take advantage of this tragedy to not pay the club.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Two people died that day, and that is a tragedy.

As regards Cardiff City's behaviour, I'd urge everyone to read Martin Samuel's article referenced earlier in the thread.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why the feck weren’t Cardiff booking their own travel details for their staff anyway? I mean surely they have secretaries
Usual case of a premier league club making 100m + and still wanting to save the pennies. If record signing and club employee wants to make his own way across the channel that's all good....until a tragedy happens.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Echo sentiments re Cardiff. They bought the player, the tragedy happened. It's a freak occurrence and really really sad. But to try and find a way out of paying now and hide behind lawyers and loopholes.

It would be nice if the entire of the Premier league just put the money up in memory of Sala.

Cardiff are acting really poorly.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Echo sentiments re Cardiff. They bought the player, the tragedy happened. It's a freak occurrence and really really sad. But to try and find a way out of paying now and hide behind lawyers and loopholes.

It would be nice if the entire of the Premier league just put the money up in memory of Sala.

Premier League clubs should not be paying for Cardiff.

golden_blunder

Staff
Usual case of a premier league club making 100m + and still wanting to save the pennies. If record signing and club employee wants to make his own way across the channel that's all good....until a tragedy happens.
It’s not just that though the agents were booking flights for the manager and scouting team too, apparently it’s been happening for a while

golden_blunder

Staff

Huh? It would be nice if Cardiff paid their bills and then tried to claim some back on whatever insurance policy they have. For the chairman to come out and say he has to protect Cardiff’s finances is disgusting. It’s not the fault of the French club

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Premier League clubs should not be paying for Cardiff.
Totally agree, having said that it would be nice if someone made a stance. Made Cardiff look like the disgrace that they are, the chairmans saying he has to look after the clubs finances....the time for that was before they signed Sala. Now is the time to put this all to bed. Pay what was agreed and let Sala rest in peace.

I know this isnt going to happen but seeing how this is likely to play out now, it would be nice if someone made a mockery of Cardiff

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Totally agree, having said that it would be nice if someone made a stance. Made Cardiff look like the disgrace that they are, the chairmans saying he has to look after the clubs finances....the time for that was before they signed Sala. Now is the time to put this all to bed. Pay what was agreed and let Sala rest in peace.

I know this isnt going to happen but seeing how this is likely to play out now, it would be nice if someone made a mockery of Cardiff
True, clubs could offer support or urge Cardiff behind the scenes to do the right thing (even threatening to not send players on loan there if they do not honor transfers) but financially nobody will pay a penny towards that.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
So looks like Cardiff are trying to declare Sala's contract as null and void to avoid payment to Nantes: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-transfer-Emiliano-Sala-Nantes-null-void.html.

Sounds like most of Cardiff's defence rests on issues on Cardiff's side registering the contract with the PL, which has nothing to do with Nantes surely? Obviously clubs have got to act responsibly to protect themselves, but Cardiff's approach isn't really sitting right with me.

UncleBob

What a bunch of .....The initial sympathy for Cardiff and all....

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's shitty but I do have some level of understanding for Cardiff.

They're not a wealthy club, he was their record signing. It's a hell of a lot of money for them to shell out for nothing, basically.

I guess the club's lawyers really wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't try and find a way for the club not to pay that.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
If the transfer was not 100% then the insurance would not pay out. I would bet money that happened here.
One side or the other is responsible for the player and therefore will be able to make an insurance claim.

Don't you think, god forbid, if a team paid £100M for a player and they got killed in a car accident on the way home from their first training session, that they would be able to make an insurance claim.

What about long term injuries?

You can't have hugely expensive assets around the place and no insurance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
One side or the other is responsible for the player and therefore will be able to make an insurance claim.

Don't you think, god forbid, if a team paid £100M for a player and they got killed in a car accident on the way home from their first training session, that they would be able to make an insurance claim.

I've worked in insurance for 20 years and actually used to deal with a Premiership club's various policies (I only did the boring, low level admin for it but got to see all the cover) and you are right about them covering their assets. I even remember having to put players on "cover" who were on trial (we had to go into a room away from others to process it so other staff members would not know about prospective transfers).

This Sala situation is a weird one though if the transfer was part way through. Both sides could argue that he was the other parties responsibility. It's like when you buy a house, there's a period between exchanging contracts and completing on the deal where people often don't know who is responsible for what.

HackeyC

I think the issue will be on valuation. Most likely Sala was insured by Nantes but one must assume at a lower value than the transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I've worked in insurance for 20 years and actually used to deal with a Premiership club's various policies (I only did the boring, low level admin for it but got to see all the cover) and you are right about them covering their assets. I even remember having to put players on "cover" who were on trial (we had to go into a room away from others to process it so other staff members would not know about prospective transfers).

This Sala situation is a weird one though if the transfer was part way through. Both sides could argue that he was the other parties responsibility. It's like when you buy a house, there's a period between exchanging contracts and completing on the deal where people often don't know who is responsible for what.
It says in the article (assuming the article is accurate) that FIFA registered the International Transfer Certificate at 5:30pm on Jan 21, prior to the plane crash. If FIFA registered the transfer then surely he must be considered a Cardiff player? The issues with the PL finalising the paperwork and allowing Sala to play are surely all on Cardiff's side, and nothing to do with Nantes (and obviously didn't prevent FIFA registering the transfer)?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Its been obvious from the moment Cardiff stalled on payment that they were going to look into the legality of the transfer to try and not pay Nantes - especially if insurance is an issue.

I’d have expected that insurance cover would be in place (even for “assets” in transit), but then again, I’d not have expected their record signing to be flown on anything other than a big commercial plane or a private jet. So what do I know.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Cardiff spent 4 games or so mourning him, claiming how he'll always be a part of the clubs history etc and now they're claiming he wasn't their player essentially. Disgraceful.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
If you were to run a “Worst PR move you could possibly do to make your company look like scumbags” masterclass, you’d invite the head of PR from Cardiff to be your keynote speaker.

Shambolic how this whole fiasco has played out by both clubs. A family lost a son. Shame on the media too for fanning the flames since day 1.

Reactions: esmufc07

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
signed a contract with Cardiff? I would assume if he did then that's most likely going to be on them to pay but if he hadn't then I can see why they wouldn't want to pay

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
The only reason I can think of for Cardiff to care about the money is they have no insurance against what happened to Sala and hence no fiscal clawback once the transfer fee is paid. PR wise it’s comes across as cynical. As far as Im aware he signed for Cardiff with the chairman welcoming him as their record transfer fee signing. Nantes were within their rights to demand money for an asset they sold to Cardiff. An asset who may well be alive today had the transfer not happened.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Just split the fee already. Stop making a mess out of this.

marktan

Despite how it looks I can understand them trying to explore the legality of it, because at the end of the day £15m is a lot of money, even to Cardiff.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Would be the best, and most dignified way to handle the matter from both clubs i reckon.

Despite how it looks I can understand them trying to explore the legality of it, because at the end of the day £15m is a lot of money, even to Cardiff.
Theyre record fee. Its an awful situation to be in, but they have every right to explore all options to them.

UncleBob

Christ, because splitting a fee isn't a mess whatsoever :rolleyes: Right, are we saying he was half your player and half ours, good, that's us sorted. Is there any logical reason at all for doing something that daft