g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Emilio Álvarez: "United didn't fire me, I didn't want to coach De Gea anymore..."

Uniquim

I don't know which is true but clubs feed bogus stories to the media all the time to control the narrative. So the fact that Ornstein or anyone else "had sources from the club" means nothing. The club lies just like any other entity in the world.
Sure, and maybe some of what Alvarez is saying is correct/false too. But here you have a goalkeeping coach who says "I am hoping for an interesting project and I'd love to return to coach keepers. It's what I've been doing all my life" that not only broadcasts his availability, but is sensational enough to get wide attention, and also puts his departure from United in a better light.

De Gea signed on Sep 16, and Alvarez left 12 days later. It would seem reasonable that there was disgruntlement over De Gea's contract, or even that he was offered a contract after De Gea signed, as he claims.

On the other hand, I remember there were some claims at the time that Alvarez discontinuation was discussed with De Gea prior to him signing the new contract, because Richard Hartis had signed on three months before Alvarez left the club. There have also been reports that Solskjaer was displeased with Alvarez going out to bars with players during pre-season.

It's strange to have someone leave in the middle of the season, but his replacement was seemingly brought in already, so it also seems reasonable to believe that his departure was delayed to after De Gea signing, either because United didn't want to unsettle the situation by removing someone De Gea is friendly with during negotiations, or because they wanted to discuss the change of direction in coaching with De Gea as a part of the contract negotiations.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It would be more understandable if Alvarez felt betrayed in the manner in which DDG sort of broke his relationship with Mendes, by bringing in his lawyer and asking for more money, after Mendes had agreed a deal in principle with United. If Alvarez and Mendes are that close, it would be understandable for Alvarez to walk away as per some loyalty to his friend (Mendes) and/or being let down by someone he works with for being a bit "unethical" (article makes it sound like DDG went behind Mendes' back and brought a new agent/lawyer to the table asking for more money).

The article didn't bring it across in that way though. It's made it sound like Alvarez felt betrayed by DDG for not sharing his contract negotiating information with him - which is super strange for a bloody GK coach, who has no right to be privy to this information.

Maticmaker

He should not get paid extra just because de Gea got paid extra.
Sounds like this is the heart of the matter, David resigned with a new contract but didn't put in a good word for Alvarez to have his salary increased as well... "you little shit after all I've done for you!" or words to that effect (in Spanish) were probably exchanged.

Based Adnan

It would be more understandable if Alvarez felt betrayed in the manner in which DDG sort of broke his relationship with Mendes, by bringing in his lawyer and asking for more money, after Mendes had agreed a deal in principle with United. If Alvarez and Mendes are that close, it would be understandable for Alvarez to walk away as per some loyalty to his friend (Mendes) and/or being let down by someone he works with for being a bit "unethical" (article makes it sound like DDG went behind Mendes' back and brought a new agent/lawyer to the table asking for more money).

The article didn't bring it across in that way though. It's made it sound like Alvarez felt betrayed by DDG for not sharing his contract negotiating information with him - which is super strange for a bloody GK coach, who has no right to be privy to this information.
The article mentions that Alvarez was speaking to De Gea constantly regarding renewing upon instruction by Ole who was worried. I don't think it's a reach to say they were in constant communications over the stage of the renewal until De Gea's lawyer told him to ask for more at which point De Gea stopped communicating with Alvarez regarding it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And upon a question about why De Gea was less consistent, United writer Laurie Whitwell said: "Hi Rhys, as I mention in the piece, the lack of a truly competitive No 1 battle after so many years of high performance has been cited by people I've spoken to as possible reason for a subconscious easing off.

Allied to this was his relationship with former coach Emiliano Alvarez, which some felt was too friendly rather than work-focussed. Alvarez left this season."
I wonder how they come up with stories like this. What top club has a truly competitive no1 battle? Who would buy a world class keeper to sit on the bench, what world class keeper would submit to that?

As for E. Alvarez: I'd wait for the other half of the story. The whole story sounds a bit complicated.

Withnail

Amazing. The headline makes you think that he left because of De Gea's attitude to training was terrible or he wouldn't do as he was told. In reality, it's because the guy was his friend and got all moody that De Gea signed a new contract without him knowing about it so left in a sulk. Sounds very believable that we were more than happy to see him go.

For me, De Gea was his best under Hoek. He's not been the same since. I'd be interested to know how his passing has regressed so much since we bought him. I'm not sure if you guys remember, but in his first two seasons with us he was joked about that he was one of the best long passes at United. He could pick out anyone with a pinpoint pass anywhere on the pitch. It was cited as one of his biggest strengths.
I was only thinking about this recently. I was massively impressed with his passing when he first came in. It's fairly average now.

I presume this wasn't encouraged under any manager since Fergie. It would help us beat the poxy press everyone's so concerned with at the minute.

El Jefe

He should've been fired a year or so before leaving. His relationship with DDG went way past the boundaries of player and coach and David's performance suffered as a result IMO.

From what he says and his entitlement, you can see he saw himself way more as DDG's best pal rather than coach.

Tiber

Shocking to see one of Jose cronies slagging off a former player

Nikelesh Reddy

Wow, I didn't know the negotiations were so messy on De Gea's side. Looks like his people wanted to get as much as they could.
Honestly,they were fully entitled to get as much as possible because we aren’t a club that’s competing for the biggest trophies right now.Had it not been for the money,David would have probably left the club by now....I”m not saying De Gea is a mercenary or that he doesn’t love the club,but to commit the best years of your career to a club that’s not competing for the biggest trophies is a huge commitment.
De Gea probably took a practical and a pragmatic decision to stay.Either way,I”m glad he chose to stay because his world class quality is undeniable..

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Honestly,they were fully entitled to get as much as possible because we aren’t a club that’s competing for the biggest trophies right now.Had it not been for the money,David would have probably left the club by now....I”m not saying De Gea is a mercenary or that he doesn’t love the club,but to commit the best years of your career to a club that’s not competing for the biggest trophies is a huge commitment.
De Gea probably took a practical and a pragmatic decision to stay.Either way,I”m glad he chose to stay because his world class quality is undeniable..
None of that warrants doing his agent dirty and reneging on a wage agreement.

georgipep

Sure, and maybe some of what Alvarez is saying is correct/false too. But here you have a goalkeeping coach who says "I am hoping for an interesting project and I'd love to return to coach keepers. It's what I've been doing all my life" that not only broadcasts his availability, but is sensational enough to get wide attention, and also puts his departure from United in a better light.

De Gea signed on Sep 16, and Alvarez left 12 days later. It would seem reasonable that there was disgruntlement over De Gea's contract, or even that he was offered a contract after De Gea signed, as he claims.

On the other hand, I remember there were some claims at the time that Alvarez discontinuation was discussed with De Gea prior to him signing the new contract, because Richard Hartis had signed on three months before Alvarez left the club. There have also been reports that Solskjaer was displeased with Alvarez going out to bars with players during pre-season.

It's strange to have someone leave in the middle of the season, but his replacement was seemingly brought in already, so it also seems reasonable to believe that his departure was delayed to after De Gea signing, either because United didn't want to unsettle the situation by removing someone De Gea is friendly with during negotiations, or because they wanted to discuss the change of direction in coaching with De Gea as a part of the contract negotiations.
I agree. The fact that this comes in AS and reads like a job plea doesn't make more confident in the claims. Just wanted to state that sometimes the club would lie to protect their assets and interests.

clarkydaz

As for E. Alvarez: I'd wait for the other half of the story. The whole story sounds a bit complicated.
if correct Mendes isnt his agent anymore ( i thought that would have been big news) then it must be close to the story

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
From what I am reading here, I thought he is the financial coach or something.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The article mentions that Alvarez was speaking to De Gea constantly regarding renewing upon instruction by Ole who was worried. I don't think it's a reach to say they were in constant communications over the stage of the renewal until De Gea's lawyer told him to ask for more at which point De Gea stopped communicating with Alvarez regarding it.
Yeah i wonder what caused the issue between Mendes and DDG. Money seems the likeliest answer. Still a bit weird for a coach to be that involved and/or feel that betrayed by DDG.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As a coach, based on Dave's form during Jose's reign, he was pretty good.
But as a person he sounds like total prick.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
At first I was confused as well but from what I understand Mendes had agreed on a renewal with De Gea and the club only for De Gea to do Mendes dirty at the last minute and ask for more money based on outside council. This is why Mendes ended up dropping De Gea as a client.

Alvarez is close with Mendes and thought what De Gea did showed a lack of loyalty so didn't want to coach him anymore.
That's pretty much it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Every high profile player's contract negotiations pan out like this, and every Manchester United contract negotiation pans out like this.

Why is it a) even a surprise and b) a reflection one way or another on De Gea?

Its a weird reason for a goalkeeping coach to leave as from a professional point of view there is absolutely no basis or justification for them to care...and there isn't nearly enough in the story to judge about the personal/principle reasons why he decided to leave. People move clubs/employer for all kinds of reasons and usually it involves them having a moan about something or someone.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I learned that he had renewed behind my back

Yeah, so what's the problem then? it's not like De Gea was bad mouthing him like "I don't want Emilio to coach me anymore, replace him".
Now that would've been disrespectful and disloyal.
He probably had an under table deal with Mendes and would be entitled to some money if Dave re-signed using Mendes.

POF

I read this and I must wonder: What the actual feck does a fecking goalkeeper coach have to do with David De Geas contract extensions. That is nowhere near his job description.

This is so absurd to read. He has NO rights to know anything about DDG's contract extensions or negotiations. What on earth is this level of entitlement?
Not only that, but he was also staying late after training doing sessions with Pogba!!!

He was Ole's go to man for De Gea contract negotiations, Jose's preferred choice as coach at his next job and turned down jobs at Real and PSG. What a guy! He was all things to all men until DDG stabbed him in the back by signing a contract without asking his permission!

Or maybe, just maybe, he's full of shit.

Manny

Grammar Police
Jose and Mendes with their claws in our finances doesn't surprise me.

Jose rips off every club he's at so I'm sure he didn't mind tossing the clubs money at Alverez and leaving that toxic, melting pot of a culture behind. And Mendes is Mendes.

jem

Nono I read the whole thing and despite Englsh being a 2nd language, I'm quite fluent.

"Well, all the merit falls at the feet of Jorge Mendes, who did massive work for a number of years, working day and night. I added my own little grain of sand. Solskjaer asked me every day to speak with Mendes in order to get David to renew. The press was asking every day about it and there was a lot of pressure. There was pressure to speak to David so he would stay and not listen to other offers. Solskjaer was very worried."

Regardless of how many little grains of sand that he puts into the bucket, he's overstepping the bounds of his professional arrangement when he expects some sort of loyalty from De Gea with regards to the contract talks. His professional contract with Manchester United is Goalkeeper Coach. If Ole asked him to speak to Mendes since they had a relationship, and De Gea was his client at the time, that's fine, but that does still not make him entitled to anything. And let me tell you how ridiculous it is that Solskjaer would ask him to speak to Mendes *EVERY day*. Like some annoying real life spam e-mail that won't go away until you press Accept.

The way this article reads is that he is actually upset that he was not told about the signing BEFORE it happened. Not the signing itself. Essentially he is butthurt for not being kept in the loop. Would I be annoyed? Probably. But I still respect the role I have in any organization, and if I'm not entitled to information I'm not entitled.
My God, your English is beyond fluent! I teach English as a second language and it's rare to see this level of writing from a non-native speaker. Well done!

Greck

If he was authorised by Ole or Jose or whoever to speak with De gea only for him to renege on an oral agreement and make a deal without him I can maybe understand why he'd feel hurt but he has to take this one on the chin because De Gea in that situation would have every right to opt for someone who has his best financial interests as his only priority. Even at the expense of personal relationships.

The whole thing just highlights the downsides of mixing business and relationships. He should never have been in that position. Next time he stays out of these things as they can get messy. Agents and lawyers see these things as gamesmanship while regular people feel betrayed and hurt. Stick to your job description

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Who gives a toss? Super agent gets the shits with De Gea. Who cares. A goalkeeping coach who seems to think he has some sort of control over what De Gea does based on him mentoring him in the past leaves because he is in a sulk and because his mate tinks he got dissed. Who cares.

As long as De Gea is being coached properly I just don't care.