Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There are some real barrel-scraping articles about Raducanu peppering every sports website now, including this glorious insight.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis
The story seems to be there is no story. She worked hard at school, and did well in junior tennis. Didn't play much competitive tennis in the covid era - got her A levels instead. Went to Wimbledon and shocked everyone. Went to the US and the more she played, the better she got.

Even some of her junior coaches have said, that they knew she was good, but didn't know she'd be this good, this fast. Amazing few months for her (and she passed her A levels) - but her and her family have not given them much to write about, except trying to guess what happens next.

TheLiverBird

Maybe nitpicking here but isn't a Grand Slam if you win all 4? Point being this is just a Slam final
There are 4 Grand Slam tournaments a year

Australia Open
French Open
Wimbledon
US Open

Winning one would make you a Grand Slam Champion, because well….you’ve just won a Grand Slam.

Winning all 4 in a calendar year would make you “The Grand Slam Champion” or commonly known as winning “The Callander Year Grand Slam Champion”

only 2 people in history have ever done this

Djokovic is aiming to be number 3

Although he has won 4 Slams in a row before, just not in the Same year.

GueRed

I hope she just continues to go out and enjoy her tennis and cliche i know just take each point as it comes.

Embrace it...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If she doesn't win people are going to be disappointed, but it really shouldn't be look at that way should it?

She's done great to even get to this point and I hope she takes it as a positive either way.

Jagga7

Australia Open
French Open
Wimbledon
US Open

Winning one would make you a Grand Slam Champion, because well….you’ve just won a Grand Slam.

Winning all 4 in a calendar year would make you “The Grand Slam Champion” or commonly known as winning “The Callander Year Grand Slam Champion”

I am nit picking also but you definitely got this wrong. A grand slam is when a player wins all 4 majors. No one calls its a grand slam if one of them are won.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The story seems to be there is no story. She worked hard at school, and did well in junior tennis. Didn't play much competitive tennis in the covid era - got her A levels instead. Went to Wimbledon and shocked everyone. Went to the US and the more she played, the better she got.

Even some of her junior coaches have said, that they knew she was good, but didn't know she'd be this good, this fast. Amazing few months for her (and she passed her A levels) - but her and her family have not given them much to write about, except trying to guess what happens next.
Yep her ethnic/cultural mix is interesting. I did wonder how come she only seemed to do two A levels though, I thought you had to do three. Great grades though.

Her progression is remarkable since Wimbledon, in terms of her game and handling of pressure. Hope she is given a bit of space to keep developing after the final -but doubt it- cos she is absolutely everywhere at the moment.

marktan

Yep her ethnic/cultural mix is interesting. I did wonder how come she only seemed to do two A levels though, I thought you had to do three. Great grades though.

Her progression is remarkable since Wimbledon, in terms of her game and handling of pressure. Hope she is given a bit of space to keep developing after the final -but doubt it- cos she is absolutely everywhere at the moment.
Maybe the third wasn't reported or maybe she knew that she wasn't planning to go to University? The grades themselves are a little less impressive given that A level grades were massively inflated this year, and going to a private school it's harder to not get given an A grade. Think it was like 70% of all grades in private schools were at an A at least.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I am nit picking also but you definitely got this wrong. A grand slam is when a player wins all 4 majors. No one calls its a grand slam if one of them are won.
I'm intrigued by this, I wonder if the term has changed meaning or varies between countries. Wimbledon was always "a grand slam" to me and I remember learning the names of the other grand slam tournaments (predates live international TV coverage, so I knew their names before I watched them!)

But that meant we could talk about players winning a Grand Slam whereas THE Grand Slam was winning the lot. It sounds like some posters now call the grand slam events slams now.

And on that rambling note...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I'm intrigued by this, I wonder if the term has changed meaning or varies between countries. Wimbledon was always "a grand slam" to me and I remember learning the names of the other grand slam tournaments (predates live international TV coverage, so I knew their names before I watched them!)

But that meant we could talk about players winning a Grand Slam whereas THE Grand Slam was winning the lot. It sounds like some posters now call the grand slam events slams now.

That's at least how it's used in Germany

Jippy

Staff
Maybe the third wasn't reported or maybe she knew that she wasn't planning to go to University? The grades themselves are a little less impressive given that A level grades were massively inflated this year, and going to a private school it's harder to not get given an A grade. Think it was like 70% of all grades in private schools were at an A at least.
More impressive than for most if your heart is set on a sports career and that takes up most of your time.
But yeah I guess uni is understandably out of the window.

Jippy

Staff

Don't the individual events like the US Open just get referred to as 'slams', or majors, with the 'grand slam' being full lot?
Tbh it feels like people have not really talked about the grand slam in years cos it's never been on for anyone realistically, but the language has definitely evolved over the years.

El Zoido

She looks like she could become dominant in women's tennis. Incredible mentality and nerves of steel. I know the women's game is more equal than it has been in the past decade, but how does an 18 year old in her second slam walk in and absolutely obliterate the field like that. She's completely ruthless.

Agent Red

I use it the same way you do and think that’s fairly common

croadyman

The trolls can come at me with she's born in Canada because quite frankly couldn't care less, she is representing GB and that's good enough for me even though clearly for some it obviously isn't

Skizzo

Australia Open
French Open
Wimbledon
US Open

To reiterate what @Jagga7 said before, this being from the US open website

In tennis, the term Grand Slam refers to the accomplishment of winning all four major championships-the championships of Australia, France, Britain (Wimbledon), and the United States-in the same calendar season. The feat has been achieved six times (by five different players). Grand Slam is commonly misused to describe any one of the four major tournaments.
not to mention there’s also been more than two people who’ve done it.

1938 Don Budge, United States
1953 Maureen Connolly, United States
1962 Rod Laver, Australia
1969 Rod Laver, Australia
1970 Margaret Smith Court, Australia
1988 Steffi Graf, Germany

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What a player, if she stays fit & healthy she’ll win 10 slams minimum because she’s still going to improve and get stronger & even faster.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Well done to her. Wow what a story, just came out of nowhere and wins a grand slam. Fantastic achievement.

croadyman

What a player, if she stays fit & healthy she’ll win 10 slams minimum because she’s still going to improve and get stronger & even faster.
Certainly quick enough around the court already and believe she will put some MPH on that serve with more time too

croadyman

Not to take away from her brilliant win, she looks like a future great, but can someone explain the beef with Piers Morgan and her or is it just because he is a complete bellend?
If memory serves me right didn't he go in on her the morning after for quitting that match at Wimbledon

croadyman

what the f*ck are you taking and can I have some!? Her serve is probably her strongest weapon..
Yeah it's strong but my point is I think it could become even better with more time that's all I was saying

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
So many parts of this story blow your mind.

- 18 yo.
- Only her second grand slam competed in.
- Has still never played in a 3 set match on tour.
- Came through the qualifiers
- Didn't drop a set.

Utterly ridiculous.

Surely there's never been a more nailed on SPOTY.

Ladron de redcafe

What a remarkable story this is. I can see documentaries and biopics being made about this run regardless of how her career unfolds.

What a performance. It's almost hard to believe that a qualifier won the US Open without dropping a set, months after completing her A levels.

GueRed

Amazing bounce back from Wimbledon. So happy for her, well deserved.

Rammed those critics down their throats. Hope that snake Piers Morgan is choking right now

Classical Mechanic

She's going to be a megastar. She has everything to be one of the top sports stars in the world. The big challenge for her will be keeping her feet on the ground with all the hype and money that will come her way.