England Discussion | Finish 4th

Hammerfell

Are they saying that though? Are they actually saying we are going to win it?

Or is it a bit of chest thumping and geeing up, just as the song is about?

A lot of you guys are completely missing the point and I get how that can lead to your viewpoint. But you are wrong. Sure there probably are plenty of idiots out there who actually use that song or anything else in the way you think it's intended, but as I said earlier, the vast majority of people who seem to be taking the press and the song seriously are everyone but the bloody English :lol:
Keep fighting the good fight.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Keep fighting the good fight.
I hate the English press, it's an embarrassment most of the time. Most of us feel the same way I'd wager. So why are they taken seriously elsewhere, and do people really think their own press/media are actually any better? Really?

I just don't get how people are missing the irony in all of this shite going on about our National team. Especially to do with the fecking press of all people :lol:

Manny

Grammar Police

What I don't understand how people can say that 'It's Coming Home' is a sign of England's arrogance.

What the fecking video. The song is basically about how shit England are.
Yep.

Not to mention 'its coming home' is a play on words. The song was released just before Euro 96, which was going to be hosted by england, ffs... :lol:

saivet

If Russia win this, would England fans be confident of beating them? They'd have beaten far better opposition to reach the same point.
People would have said the same about Sweden and Colombia.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
If Russia win this, would England fans be confident of beating them? They'd have beaten far better opposition to reach the same point.
No! I am never confident as an England supporter. I convinced myself that Sweden were going to win today. I think we'll bow out in the semis to either side but hope to be pleasantly proven incorrect.

saivet

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean if they'd gotten through instead of England? If yes then that wasn't my point but I agree.
As in when we played Colombia, people said they had a tougher group than us. Same with Sweden who had Mexico and Germany in their group. Ultimately it means feck all who you played to get there.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
England could take either one of these teams. Much better pace up front and with better finishing than they had today they could beat them handily.

Munkehboi

Either team will be knackered after this game. Definatly think having a slower tempo game which lasted only 90 mins will be a big advantage for us when we play the semi.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah Croatia general play has dipped since the group stages. It's all about match ups though, think Croatia would get joy passing through England. Russia are sitting very deep of course.

izec

Crotia will dominate the midfield, but i think they will only donit in patches. They will try to counter attack and mix it up with possession game in patches. England will have a 50/50 chance against Croatia

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
To be fair Lambo, it might have started as a joke, but it is hardly anymore. The pundits are talking only about it, and after both of last matches, the journo in post-match interview asked Southgate (seriously, no laugh from her or Southgate) 'is football coming home'?
It’s become a full on anthem, but it’s moved from being a statement of ironic optimism to one of hope. I really don’t think there’s much arrogance in there at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Should either of Croatia/Russia be knackered for the semis after playing for 120 mins twice in a row?

Yagami

Good post resistant
It’s become a full on anthem, but it’s moved from being a statement of ironic optimism to one of hope. I really don’t think there’s much arrogance in there at all.
There isn't. It's just a catchy song that lifts our English spirits.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This couldn't go any better for England, could it? Whoever goes through is going to be emotionally and physically drained.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
At last a game against a team that doesn't just sit back and pack their defence. This will suit England and Harry Kane well.

England vs Belgium in the final is my prediction.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
England should win again.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
I personally see the England-Croatia as a 50/50. I think the more "adult" team gonna make it, I mean, the team showing a better competitive attitude. And croatians do know how to compete, so it won't be easy for England. It will definitely prove what this english national team is made of. Gonna be a passionate game, that's sure.

marktan

A little worried as I think Croatia's midfield could damage us, not sure how we stack up against a good 3 in midfield as Lingard and Alli like to push high. But it'd be the same case against France/Belgium so should tell us a lot about England's chances.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You think Croatia are shooting themselves in the foot by playing their style against England?
No, because it's their style and it suits them better than any alternative. But I think it will suit England also … and Harry Kane in particular.

Kopral Jono

A little worried as I think Croatia's midfield could damage us, not sure how we stack up against a good 3 in midfield as Lingard and Alli like to push high. But it'd be the same case against France/Belgium so should tell us a lot about England's chances.
Agree with everything. Croatia are slight favourites coming into the game I feel and it'd be no shame for England if they lose against them. I was dreading the potential of a Russia-England semifinal, in which England being clear favourites could actually be a disadvantage for them with Russia playing at home.