England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Evra says it's coming home.

At least he didn't lick the raw fish this time.

Love the man and the rant at Liam Gallagher was funny but he needs to stop. He's trying too hard to be funny, but the real funny people are the ones that are natural at it.

I bet he looks at what's happening with Micah Richards and Keane, then goes home, looks in the mirror and says "it should have been you".

Infra-red

I'm going to eat a lot of humble pie if England end up winning this. I've talked a lot of shit about Southgate and this team, but so far they're smashing it. Well done.

Hope Italy kills them but :nervous:
I expect Italy to win the tournament now. They look pretty much unstoppable (they also have the best manager in a tournament of fairly average ones). We should reach the final, but Italy will probably have too much for us.

Still, this England team is genuinely exciting. The culmination of a lot of years of planning and investment and you can really see it paying dividends with the type of players who are now coming through. I don't think we'll win this Euros, but this is definitely the start of something.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be honest, even for players who have won major club trophies for their clubs I still think winning a big tournament for England, since 66, would surpass their club success and for good reason too.

Classical Mechanic

To be honest, even for players who have won major club trophies for their clubs I still think winning a big tournament for England, since 66, would surpass their club success and for good reason too.
Even so, for a player with 3 Premier League golden boots and one World Cup golden boot a single international trophy would still be a bit of a disappointment for his career overall. He must be trapped at Spurs if he's talking up Nuno as a good manager. No move to City it seems.

MUFC OK

Couple of talking points -
1. Will Southgate revert to a back 5 against Denmark? I think he will as it worked against Germany's shape and GS is a very risk averse manager
2. Who starts on the right? I'd like to say Sancho but I can see Saka getting in there.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh yeah for sure, it just means a bit more coming from someone like Ronaldo who has an absolute cupboard full of personal and club trophies.

Suedesi

You have been very honest about your views on the England manager and team. But unlike many, you have been big enough to acknowledge that your views have changed. And that is good of you.
I am a bit nervous that Denmark might score first. Something that has not happened yet. Hopefully that won't happen. But if it does, it will be interesting to see how the team reacts.
I've been thoroughly impressed - there's a resilience and steel to this England team which was lacking in prior tournaments, to not concede a goal yet is bonkers, so well done to Southgate and coaching staff.

I think Italy - England will be a worthy final - having said that, my predictions have been all over the place this tournament :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Couple of talking points -
1. Will Southgate revert to a back 5 against Denmark? I think he will as it worked against Germany's shape and GS is a very risk averse manager
2. Who starts on the right? I'd like to say Sancho but I can see Saka getting in there.
Sancho was good but I think it was kind of on par with Saka's performances, so I'd be happy with either one to be honest. They're at a very similar level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've been thoroughly impressed - there's a resilience and steel to this England team which was lacking in prior tournaments, to not concede a goal yet is bonkers, so well done to Southgate and coaching staff.

I think Italy - England will be a worthy final - having said that, my predictions have been all over the place this tournament :lol:
The only negative was the Scotland game, but that game kind of descended into an old-school cup sort of game between two local clubs. It was gritty, stop start and very intense. Looking back now, I wish we battered them obviously, but it almost felt like we took a break from tournament football to have it out with the Scots.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Love the man and the rant at Liam Gallagher was funny but he needs to stop. He's trying too hard to be funny, but the real funny people are the ones that are natural at it.

I bet he looks at what's happening with Micah Richards and Keane, then goes home, looks in the mirror and says "it should have been you".
Leave Evra alone!!!

MUFC OK

Sancho was good but I think it was kind of on par with Saka's performances, so I'd be happy with either one to be honest. They're at a very similar level.
I don't agree with that at all. Sancho is a far better player at this stage.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe I should have said they're playing at a similar level. I meant their performances in this tournament.

Jippy

Staff
Isn't it always the case? International tournaments are only once every 2 years and the Euros are the second most elite competition in the world.
Yeah it's only interesting if you could ask say Ronaldo if he'd swap his five UCL wins for the Euros. The article generally was boring- when an interview leads in on a glib or obvious point, you know the article is going to be dull.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Well let's hope that this one is correct.
I do believe that one of the main reasons for the determination and team spirit of the English side is that they are very comfortable with Gareth, his tactics and the way he treats them. With honesty and respect and as the adults they are.
And he has a knack of communication with clarity and to the point.
Having said all of that, things could all change tomorrow.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Saka is more direct and plays with more pace. Whereas Sancho is better at keeping possession and more of a goal threat. And he is a better match for United.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yeah it's only interesting if you could ask say Ronaldo if he'd swap his five UCL wins for the Euros. The article generally was boring- when an interview leads in on a glib or obvious point, you know the article is going to be dull.
World Cup is a bigger event, Ronaldo probably would swap a couple of CLs for a World Cup, but not for an Euro.
I mean...Greece have won the Euro, but were never close to win a World Cup, hell not even close to get into a semifinal.

Jippy

Staff
It might just sate his desire to win trophies if he wins the Euros with England, prompting him to stay at Spurs rather than move to City. That's a goof thing.
Might give him an insatiable appetite for them though.
World Cup is a bigger event, Ronaldo probably would swap a couple of CLs for a World Cup, but not for an Euro.
I mean...Greece have won the Euro, but were never close to win a World Cup, hell not even close to get into a semifinal.
I be he'd have given a couple of UCLs to win that Euro to get one over Messi.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Any leaks on the team yet? Normally something the night before isn’t there?

stw2022

Any leaks on the team yet? Normally something the night before isn’t there?
My friend’s dad who knows someone whose brother used to date someone who was invited to a wedding once that Gareth Southgate’s agent attended tells me he’s almost certain Jordan Pickford will start

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
My friend’s dad who knows someone whose brother used to date someone who was invited to a wedding once that Gareth Southgate’s agent attended tells me he’s almost certain Jordan Pickford will start
At least keep it believable..

Revan

Assumptionman
Whatever happens today (I both hope and think that England will win), he has easily been the best England manager in since forever. Two semi-finals in a row is pretty nice considering that a) no other team has managed to do so in the same time period, b) the last time England reached semi-final, the dinosaurs were still walking on the Earth.

He is not necessarily a great manager, but he has managed to make a United team, and seems to not be shy of making tough decisions and doesn’t give a shit about the egos in the team. Something that all the other England managers in this century have failed to do.

He's a cautious manager so he'll likely match the Danes with a 5-3-2.

Pickford
Trippier Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Phillips Rice
Sancho Kane Sterling​

No space for Grealish or Mount I'm afraid.

Zen86

I'd like to see the team that faced Ukraine with Grealish and Trippier in for Mount and Walker. Then again, Southgate's selections have worked so far so no reason to doubt whatever team he puts out.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Big big day for England. Win this and it's a very good tournament. Win the final and it's a star.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Southgate missed a trick by not taking AWB to the Euros. I realize why he took the Walker, but I think he could have just chosen one of Trippier / James and selected AWB instead for games such as today where Maehle will be their chief creator and maybe for the game vs Italy as well where more attacks are expected from Insigne's side.

Having said that, Southgate has proven his critics wrong so far, despite people having questioned him on lineups, style, formation, etc.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Quoting @Dante 's post here:
For those who missed the tweet, this is the supposed leaked lineup:
I'm surprised Saka is back in myself. I thought we'd stick with the same 11 we played against Ukraine.