England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Red00012

He’s going to start an out of form Rashford & Sterling and bench an in form Foden & Grealish. Same old story, reputation over form.

Pickford
Walker Stones Mings
Trippier Rice Chilwell
Mount
Sterling Kane Rashford
Sky are reporting Foden is starting with Rashford on the bench

Dan_F

If that was the case, England would have been better off with Shaw at LB and JWP in midfield, than Trippier at LB.
Probably. Plus Shaw and Mount have been taking free kicks and corners all season anyway.

There’s no chance if Mings is still playing in the knockout stages anyway.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If its for set-pieces then I can understand it. Like it or not every team has atleast two/three good set piece takers and with Tripper (with Trent out and Prowse not involved) it makes sense.

Its what we do with the ball down the left which is a slight concern. Will Trippier go on the outside ? Will we become alittle congested if Trippier cuts into the middle ?

Deery

Dreary
He left Grealish out, because he prefers Sterling/Rashford IMO, always did. I would be shocked to see Grealish starting more than one game.
Picking out of form players will cost him the tournament Sterling has been shocking this season and rightfully dropped by Pep.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What is it with England managers always taking a decent or great squad to the tournament and then setting them up to fail with weird selections or outdated tactics?

Judas

Open to offers
On current form how do you start Sterling ahead of Grealish or Sancho? It's the typical England manger curse of sticking with their favourites, no matter how their form is.

and don't get me started on bloody Mings.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Probably. Plus Shaw and Mount have been taking free kicks and corners all season anyway.

There’s no chance if Mings is still playing in the knockout stages anyway.
Lets be honest, Shaw has progressed amazingly well this season but his set-plays are still substandard at best. It's why I felt Chilwell would get the nod over him.
Looks like neither will start though. :lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Lets be honest, Shaw has progressed amazingly well this season but his set-plays are still substandard at best. It's why I felt Chilwell would get the nod over him.
Looks like neither have though. :lol:
You think so? Especially his corners were very good. Would have assisted a metric feckton if Maguire knew how to head a ball goalwards.

Judas

Open to offers
Trippier was one people thought might not even make the squad, nope, he starts instead, and arguably not even in his best position? :lol: Oh Gareth. I hope he's a secret genius, I really do.

izec

How does Trippier start ahead of Shaw and Chillwell? That makes no sense.
He is picking his favourite performers over form or position. He just shoehorned him into the side really. That is a big feck you to Chilwell and Shaw. Same for Grealish/Sancho by picking Sterling

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You think so? Especially his corners were very good. Would have assisted a metric feckton if Maguire knew how to head a ball goalwards.
Yeah, I don't really rate his set plays. Surprised he's been on them all campaign but then who else do we have ? Shaw the best of a very underwhelming bunch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Trippier was one people thought might not even make the squad, nope, he starts instead, and arguably not even in his best position? :lol: Oh Gareth. I hope he's a secret genius, I really do.
That's why I think this Sky are misinformed on this one.

Just no way Trippier starts.

Sylar

Number of things

1. What do the media get from leaking the team? Like who benefits from it? Is there a reason behind doing it before Englands first big match?

2. Having two lb who had great seasons and then picking a RB is some of the shit we saw with previous managers
If he wanted a set piece taker surely you just play trippier ahead of Walker to restore balance. Or have mount or Shaw take the set pieces depending on what is is and distance?

3. No surprise Southgate is being a coward, he's going for a don't lose rather than go for the win.
Knew one of sterling or Rashford would play for the pace to get ahead of Kane when he drops

4 ultra defensive as well in putting Phillips over Bellingham. Never expected grealish to start and I reckon he will play himself into the starting lineup (provided england don't make a mess of the group games)

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Southgate is a useless clown. News at 11.

Like I said, England will get beat today and then he'll change it for the next game. Only Country in the world that would leave Grealish out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is this some 5D Chess from Gareth? Does he think we're better off finishing 2nd in the group.
is it ?

Maybe I'm getting Deja vu but wasn't this said about the last major tournament England were involved in too.

Castia

Rumour that Trippier starts at LB with Mount, Foden and Sterling behind Kane.

Already pissed off and we haven’t kicked a ball yet.

Judas

Open to offers
is it ?

Maybe I'm getting Deja vu but wasn't this said about the last major tournament England were involved in too.
It was the same in that tournament too. We could potentially avoid a much harder first knockout game by finishing second this time as well. But we've got to bloody play someone good and beat them eventually if we want to win anything, we just never do.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Why, when we've got the players don't we go on the front foot and attack teams? Let's try and dominate them instead of playing scared.

Southgate is a useless clown. News at 11.

Like I said, England will get beat today and then he'll change it for the next game. Only Country in the world that would leave Grealish out.
we have some great forward players. In-line Grealish - but yes, he may need to sit out from the start today. That’s not unexpected.

saivet

Sterling is lucky but not too fussed about the attacking options. Trippier at LB is fecking idiotic though. It's being reported by Ornstein so likely true.

TheReligion

Abusive
I did wonder about Trippier as when they did the last press conference Southgate mentioned how he thought it was strange no one mentions him given he's just won La Liga and had an incredible season.

Castia

I thought Mount would take a midfield slot not one of the attacking 3 slots. Looks like he’s going 4231 rather than 433.

Starting Sterling and playing Trippier LB? seems ridiculous to me.