England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

saivet

I thought Mount would take a midfield slot not one of the attacking 3 slots. Looks like he’s going 4231 rather than 433.

Starting Sterling and playing Trippier LB? seems ridiculous to me.
It could still be a 433 as he's played Mount in a midfield trio before.

Castia

It could still be a 433 as he's played Mount in a midfield trio before.
Maybe yeah with Sterling Kane Foden front 3.

Trippier at LB and no Grealish starting will raise huge questions if we don’t win here though and rightly so. If he’s picking on form I’m not sure how Sterling starts this he’s been shite lately.

TheGame

I did wonder about Trippier as when they did the last press conference Southgate mentioned how he thought it was strange no one mentions him given he's just won La Liga and had an incredible season.
He has played well this season and was in the La Liga team of the year but if you are going to start him, do it at RB not when you have 2 excellent LBs in the squad.

saivet

Maybe yeah with Sterling Kane Foden front 3.
If it is, I would have preferred Bellingham over Phillips but I can't complain about that.

Trippier at LB though, I can't quite believe he's doing that. I'd have Shaw there but wouldn't be mad at Chilwell yet he's picking Trippier?!

meamth

-----------------Henderson----------------
Walker--Stones--Mings-----Shaw
--------------------Rice-----------------------
----Mount---------------Grealish-------
----Rashford--Kane--Sterling------

I'd like to see this.

sillwuka

If we needed a set piece taker in Trippier to play then why not start him in his natural RB position. Then we've got Chilwell or Shaw driving down the left..

slored1

Trippier at LB is hilarious. England are going to bomb massively in this EURO.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If he starts Trippier on the left next to Mings then it’s a big mistake. I feel he’s only putting Trippier in for his set pieces.

CM

It's like he's trying to piss people off with that line-up. Most talented group for about a decade and he's playing Trippier out of position and Sterling/Mings who are horribly out of form.

arnie_ni

Why, when we've got the players don't we go on the front foot and attack teams? Let's try and dominate them instead of playing scared.
Remember neville getting criticised arguing with carragher about this.

He said it wouldn't happen and he got loads of abuse on twitter.

saivet

If we needed a set piece taker in Trippier to play then why not start him in his natural RB position. Then we've got Chilwell or Shaw driving down the left..
Mount takes a lot of set pieces at his club and so does Chilwell and Shaw respectively. I feel like Phillips and Foden have done so at times too. Baffling choice to play him LB.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I liked Southgate until this Euro but then the fullback debacle(call ups)and Sterling starting would be the final straw for me even if he gets lucky in the end.

MU655

If Grealish doesn't start, Southgate deserves to be insta-sacked.

But I am expecting a dull, uninspiring setup with seven defensive players. This is going to be such a waste, and I doubt the pundits are going to slate him for it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Could argue a defeat is better than a win today...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
-----------------Henderson----------------
Walker--Stones--Mings-----Shaw
--------------------Rice-----------------------
----Mount---------------Grealish-------
----Rashford--Kane--Sterling------

I'd like to see this.
That's a terrible line up. Rashford should never play on the right, swap for Foden and Sancho for sterling

Classical Mechanic

Trippier at left back would be mental if you've got the left back that just won the Champions League and the left back that got into the PL team of the season on the bench.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Obviously we don't see behind the scenes, but can't help but think every decision being made right now is to protect our fire CB options.

PoTMS

You have two quality players in Shaw - possibly the best left back in the world right now - and Chilwell - England's regular left back who has just come off the back of winning the Champions League. And Southgate chooses Trippier. The guy is a fecking idiot.