g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

RedDevil@84

Some sections of media trying to spin it as if Scotland blocked a hundred shots or something.

fergies coat

That is such a stupid take, considering Mount created the goal that won the Champion's League.
And? Wes Brown set a goal up in a champions league final. At the end of the day let's all calm down with people saying this is the best squad we've ever had. We have had better squad's in the past. It's always the same with English players. They get to much hype.

Hammondo

And? Wes Brown set a goal up in a champions league final. At the end of the day let's all calm down with people saying this is the best squad we've ever had. We have had better squad's in the past. It's always the same with English players. They get to much hype.
Mount was one of Chelseas best players, he was very central to their success.

MU655

It is strange, considering it was foreign players for Chelsea who couldn't hit a barn door. Mount created a ton of chances throughout the season, but the foreign players let him down. In that instance, foreign players actually made him look worse.

Foden was City's second highest scorer, outscoring all players except for Gundogan. He is only beaten by Sterling and De Bruyne for assists, also. It is weird that you seem to be taking all credit from them and saying it is because of foreign players.

You are putting too much stock into two games where they are playing under an absolutely awful manager, and in a negative setup.

fergies coat

Mount was one of Chelseas best players, he was very central to their success.
He's played in 54 games last season, 9 goals, 9 assists. For a player in his position its not that impressive.

Now lets look at Marcus Rashford 54 games, 21 goals, 15 assists. Considering the constant stick he gets on here he's got better numbers.

fergies coat

It is strange, considering it was foreign players for Chelsea who couldn't hit a barn door. Mount created a ton of chances throughout the season, but the foreign players let him down. In that instance, foreign players actually made him look worse.

Foden was City's second highest scorer, outscoring all players except for Gundogan. He is only beaten by Sterling and De Bruyne for assists, also. It is weird that you seem to be taking all credit from them and saying it is because of foreign players.

You are putting too much stock into two games where they are playing under an absolutely awful manager, and in a negative setup.
I'll say it again Marcus Rashford has more goals and assists. Yet he's dogshit apparently, and Phil Foden is the new Ronaldinho.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's played in 54 games last season, 9 goals, 9 assists. For a player in his position its not that impressive.

Now lets look at Marcus Rashford 54 games, 21 goals, 15 assists. Considering the constant stick he gets on here he's got better numbers.
They play very different roles within the team.

Not to say Rashford might not get unfair stick, but imagine pointing out Iniesta's numbers and comparing them with Pedro's to make a point. Comparing their numbers to make some kind of judgement is almost pointless .

Last edited:

Hammondo

Because football cannot be simplified by these stats, it takes out 99 percent of football.

fergies coat

They play very different roles within the team.

Not to say Rashford might not get unfair stick, but imagine pointing out Iniesta's numbers and comparing them with Pedro's to make a point. Comparing their numbers to make some kind point is almost pointless .
Not for England they don't. Foden is playing in the position Rashford or Sancho would occupy. He has done absolutely nothing there, and offers zero pace.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I think the best thing that happened for Scotland was Sterling scoring the winner against Croatia. I was desperate for Sterling to start and I wasn’t too fussed about Foden either. I was concerned about Mount and Kane though.

Sterling and Foden were absolutely horrendous. Looked so far out of their depth against a much lower ranked team with far less quality.

There was absolutely no need for Phillips and Rice either when we had 2 players who tend to sit back further in Gilmour and McGregor. Southgate was far too cautious and it played into our hands.

I’ve also never seen our defence so comfortable in position and that largely came as a result of zero effort to press from Kane who was found wandering everywhere bar the striker position.

Reece James was dangerous with deliveries however more often than not, Kane was static.

From an outside point of view, Grealish and Sancho should start wide or either Rashford or DCL.

Hammondo

I know that. I just don't think you can play with Folden and Mount in the say team. It has to be one or the other, and let's have a bit of pace on the flanks. I would also drop Kane.
I think those are the type of players who need to play together.

Sir Marcus

Rashford, Grealish, Sancho, Saka and Bellingham should start.

Sterling, Foden, Mount, Phillips and Shaw to drop out.

Maguire and Henderson should start instead of Mings and Rice too ASAP.

Hammondo

At the expense of Sancho or Rashford. No thanks. Kane is dropping deep and no one is making runs and stretching teams.
Kane is supposed to be making runs, he's done feck all in either game. There are way too many players ahead of Rashford for him to start out wide, his best chance is to start over Kane which is fine for me. He will move at least.

tjb

Btw, something has to be said about Gary Neville. He's so biased towards Southgate. It's crazy, he's trying so hard not to criticize him. Now he's blaming England's full backs for the lack of creativity...its obvious why he failed in management.

fergies coat

Kane is supposed to be making runs, he's done feck all in either game. There are way too many players ahead of Rashford for him to start out wide, his best chance is to start over Kane which is fine for me. He will move at least.
I'd be surprised if he drops kane. He shouldn't be starting the next game. He's not even playing like a number 9.

MoskvaRed

I can think of only one or two player's that would get into the starting eleven of the euro 96 team.
One advantage the 96 team had was the age of its main players - Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Gazza, Ince, Shearer and Sheringham were all in their mid-20s or older and had a lot of experience. Gary Neville was the only young player who featured regularly in the starting XI. The current England squad is very callow, and the many of the more senior players are either unfit or out of form. Fullback and GK are about the only positions where we have experienced players who are fully fit and in form. I‘m not defending Southgate (last night was abysmal) but there are mitigating circumstances.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I can think of only one or two player's that would get into the starting eleven of the euro 96 team.
Probably true. Got to remember, though the 96 team should have been knocked out by Spain the QF's. They were not that good. Although, they were not as bad as we saw yesterday.

jesperjaap

Souness made some good poitns last night though his Billy Gilmour praise was daft as for me he got over ran a lot though was decent....I simply cant believe today listening to him and Gray Neville...and they are having the conversation that we are forced to pick Phillips and Rice as there are no other alternatives and we are lacking a creative central midielder....very poor Gary

We already have one in Mount who had a pretty poor game after the first half an hour. We also have a fantastic one in Foden who is shuffled to the right because of Mount....and if we are playing two holding midfielders we possibly have potentially the best in the tournament as you could play Grealish there. What utter nonsense they are saying....most importantly of all Gary Neville....we ave Jude Bellingham who is good enough dedspite his age and is an all round midfielder who should be starting over Phillips anyway....they are literally talkin gabsolute bollucks

jesperjaap

That was a cacking tream. To be fair though you have to consider the majority of those players were already established and at there peak, a lot of this side are at the start of there careers. As it is we only have one world class player in Kane who of course is established, but barely any of that 96 side were world class in there early 20s.

Also a lot of this side would have got into that 96 team judging solely based on the first two group games each played as we were absolutely awful against Switerland and Scotland until that Gazza goal.

Its far too early to slate this team and they have alreayd qualified out of the group lets not forget

jesperjaap

Probably true. Got to remember, though the 96 team should have been knocked out by Spain the QF's. They were not that good. Although, they were not as bad as we saw yesterday.
They were a very good side, but performance wise yes.....they were only great twice, against Holland and Germany. I hink they weere actually worse against Scotland in 96 than this side last night. The question is can this side rise to that type of performance and more importantly can this manager make the right decisions as Venables did.....the selections and subs has worried me more than our below par performances so far

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
They were a very good side, but performance wise yes.....they were only great twice, against Holland and Germany. I hink they weere actually worse against Scotland in 96 than this side last night. The question is can this side rise to that type of performance and more importantly can this manager make the right decisions as Venables did.....the selections and subs has worried me more than our below par performances so far
Yes, the Scotland game rings a bell. I think Redknapp came on and changed the game?

Last edited:

djembatheking

True that , Gazza was the difference, little moments of magic that changed games.

MoskvaRed

Last night was a great opportunity for Southgate to show that he can reorganise a misfiring team in the second half and he fluffed it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was alot of poor decisions made by various players yesterday, the majority of them quite selfish too, as shown in the clip above.

England are still not much of a team.

Longshanks

I see there is the standard over reaction to last night, yes it wasn't brilliant it was a distinctly average performance from England and Scotland were excellent they gave everything and it will likely be the highlight of the tournament for them.

But let's just have a look in context 4 points from the opening two games, no goals conceded pretty much qualified for the second round barring something remarkable. I'd say job done there is plenty of football to be played yet.

The concerns are over can Southgate find the right attacking combination because the current one doesn't look quite right. A mis firing kane a typically frustrating sterling and a foden who looks every bit the talented youngster, good in little flashes but not consistent, backed up by a midfield that looks a little pedestrian and a little to safe maybe.

Plenty of talent in backup to come in, think sterling and foden should come out and rashford and sancho should come in with grealish moving into the number 10 and Mount moving back into a number 8 position. Kane should remain i think he just needs one chance one goal to get himself going.

The big plus point so far has been the cb's and the GK all three have been excellent so far.

MU655

There was a discussion earlier on itv with pundits talking about our midfield options. Not one of them mentioned Bellingham.

I think it is because he is young that they don't see him as an option. I think that is ridiculous. What does experience count for if you have never won anything?

Bellingham is good enough to play in the first team for Dortmund, but he is not good enough to get in over Rice or Philips. It is such a dumb idea that England have followed for a long time.

They always talk about experience, but where has that got us? No tournament win for 55 years. It clearly isn't doing much for us.

Siezard

Don't see anything wrong though. At least Sterling dares to try, dares to dribble and dive. Many other players will just pass and send in the boring cross which probably leads to nothing.

Talented prick Vs cookie cutter crosser. Your pick.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There was alot of poor decisions made by various players yesterday, the majority of them quite selfish too, as shown in the clip above.

England are still not much of a team.
The problem is that we don't really know what we have yet. We've come into a major tournament without much of a clue what our best team is.

Look at the other contenders a month ago and we could probably name 9 or more of their starting XIs, yet for England we could say maybe only Kane, Pickford, Maguire & Rice would definitely start if fit. Every other spot was and still is up for grabs, and thats not a recipe for success in a field this strong.

What I hope to see, whatever happens in this competition, is that we use our games leading up to the World Cup to actually nail down a starting XI and go into that tournament with our own 9 easily predictable starters. There simply has to be a combination amongst these attacking options that can be formidable, and I'd personally like to see Rashford, Grealish & Sancho with Kane at some point.

joedirt87

I'd be surprised if he drops kane. He shouldn't be starting the next game. He's not even playing like a number 9.
same, i think he will start against czech republic. southgate could put him on the bench but if they make it to the Ro16 he's a guaranteed start short of injury, and his form would be back to back woeful performances. if i were in his shoes, i would start kane to try and get him into some sort of form, but with a very short leash.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hard to see a team with Rice, Philips and Mount in midfield win the competition unless they get extremely lucky.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Personally I think we should be leaning more heavily on existing partnerships. Shaw and Rashford on the left is an existing high quality partnership. They should be starting every single game together. Once Maguire comes in that’s the left side completely locked down.
You are talking chess, Southgate only plays checkers.