g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Prediction for today: we will win, play better and not miss Mount.

AgentSmith

Pickford
Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
Rice - Bellingham
Sancho - Grealish - Rashford
Kane​

Think the front 6 needs freshening up while the defence just needs Maguire to come in and help steady the ship. Sancho and Grealish have to start because of their ability to carry the ball while Bellingham and Rashford’s (fitness depending) dynamism will add a different look to the attack.

I’d persist with Rice in midfield despite Phillips outperforming him because I think Rice’s attributes will be more applicable in the latter stages of the tournament and he needs minutes to find the right type of form. Same argument applies for Kane.

If Southgate doesn’t start Grealish he should be placed in immediate quarantine for the health of the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's actual talk of Saka starting in place of Foden and not Sancho :lol: Can't make this up.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
First off no guarantees we win the group if we dont play better Czechs can cause us problems....but I think we win the goup France beat Portugal and Germany beat Hungary....its the bloody Germans again!!! Euro 96 was my birthday semi, 25 years for revenge :)

One thing, the Billy Gilmour covid story. Dont want the two English guys to have to self isolate....but I hope they are left out tomorrow. I really rate Mount and think he has done well generally for England. BUT, I was thinking today, really he is a much better version of Lingard, a lot of what he does positively is based upon excellent movement into spaces. The way we are playing with our two holdign midfielders and centre backs, when we arent pressing and the play is slow...it makes him far less effective as we are so deep and he is on his own unless he joins the winger out left.Seen both game so far he has started well and as the teams tempo an dpressing has dropped off, so has he. I thought he actually looked very tired against Scotland actually.

But SOuthgate isnt going to drop him or do many changes....if Mount has to be left out for precautions....Southgate is forced to make changes. The way we have played both matches. I can imagine Grealish being more effective as he can drive tha bll out from the middle of the park running with it to move us forward. Or if Foden is moved there he can spin off the midfielders and also link the play and maybe keep a better flow.

Not only that, Foden or Grealish there also forces us to use a different wide player, Rashford or maybe even Sancho gets a chance

We hav eseen in tournaments before, forced changes making stars of players, just look at Robsons injury and PLatt stepping up in Italia 90. Im fearful Southgsgte isnt going to pick the right playres or utilise the bench off of his own back with too much loyatly to 2 or 4 players, Mount missing tomorrow enforces a different side in 2 to 3 positions, positively unless he does something ultra defensive
Agree that Mount is neutered a bit when the game slows down and the team sits back, but I reckon the same is true of Foden! He’s been much more ineffective in these games and is more used to playing aggressive possession football with City. Grealish is worth a try but he could just make things more disjointed. Certainly didn’t seem to find it easy in the last game!

No doubt Southgate will go with the more conservative midfield choice anyway. It may well be logical given England’s relative weaknesses and the competition format but it’s a shame for the fans.

Leg-End

Pickford
Rice - Bellingham
Kane​

Think the front 6 needs freshening up while the defence just needs Maguire to come in and help steady the ship. Sancho and Grealish have to start because of their ability to carry the ball while Bellingham and Rashford’s (fitness depending) dynamism will add a different look to the attack.

I’d persist with Rice in midfield despite Phillips outperforming him because I think Rice’s attributes will be more applicable in the latter stages of the tournament and he needs minutes to find the right type of form. Same argument applies for Kane.

If Southgate doesn’t start Grealish he should be placed in immediate quarantine for the health of the team.
Yep, this is the team we should be going for, some good balance in there and England have to get Kane firing or there is no chance. Grealish and Rashford can interchange on that left and be a real nuisance.

Do it Southgate.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No leak of the team? Surprised by that

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can you imagine if we see Rice, Henderson and Phillips in the midfield tonight?
Considering we only need a point to qualify for the next round and Soutgate's proven negativity, there is every chance we see that midfield tonight.

Southgate won't take any chances. Did he ever?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If Sterling starts again... :lol:

This manager is going to kill our best chance of winning a major tournament for a very long time

sincher

Pickford Walker Stones Maguire Shaw Rice Phillips Saka Grealish Sterling Kane

That's what I've seen in reports.
Could work I guess if Grealish plays the creative role in the middle. I do feel like Sancho should be getting a look in here though as more of a direct goal threat than Saka. Prefer either of the other RBs to Walker, too, but not much between them I suppose.

sincher

If Sterling starts again... :lol:

This manager is going to kill our best chance of winning a major tournament for a very long time
Why is Sterling starting laughable? I don't get it.

Clearly a very good player and a threat from the left.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Because he's been dreadful in the first two games. Especially Scotland where any promising attack broke down when it went through him.

red4ever 79

Will be cheering on the Czechs tonight, although reports here that they will also be resting few key players. I am not anticpating a high scoring game.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Pickford
Rice - Bellingham
Kane​

Yeah good post, that should be the team he's going with indeed. Fingers crossed (but looking like it's once again not Sancho starting).

RedDevil@84

Just read the news about Mount and Chilwell. I am confused if there is a protocol. And Petr Cech seems to be asking the right question. How is Scotland playing? None of their players came in contact, but Mount and Chilewell did?

CallyRed

Sounds like a back three with Saka and Shaw as wing backs so a change of formation from previous games

Last edited:

joedirt87

He does a ton of work to put himself in great positions to either score or set up goals but his end product at these tournaments is just awful. He's a player I would definitely keep bringing him because we know what his floor is, but it's time to try other options and see if they can improve the team more, be more clinical and actually put away chances.

romufc

Just because he scored a goal he is a threat? He may be a good player but he has had an awful season.

The goal overshadowed his awful performance in both games. I cannot recall the last time Sterling played well against very good opponents.

sincher

Because he's been dreadful in the first two games. Especially Scotland where any promising attack broke down when it went through him.
Oh have a day off, he played well against Croatia and noone did against Scotland. His form this season wasn't that bad either, I saw him in a couple of games towards the end and he was a constant threat.

francobaresi

At this point Southgate is doing a very good impression of a man who doesn't have the slightest clue what he is doing

sincher

Just because he scored a goal he is a threat? He may be a good player but he has had an awful season.

The goal overshadowed his awful performance in both games. I cannot recall the last time Sterling played well against very good opponents.
'Awful' is way too strong, you can surely see that?

Anyway, we have plenty of good options up front and he is one of them. Not sure I would play him but it is hardly ridiculous to do so.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You'd think tonight would be a good situation for Southgate to loosen up the team, both in personal and set-up.
Give a few fridge players the chance to make a mark while giving certain positions more freedom, basically the fullbacks.

I expect to see James and Shaw start, though.
Neither did anything wrong in the last match. They were simply doing what was asked of them, which is/was the fundamental issue.

sincher

Sounds like a back three with Saka and Shaw as wing backs so a change of formation from previous games
That would at least justify Saka over Sancho I suppose. Not sure it is the right call but I could see him doing that to get more width supporting Kane.

Castia

Not happy with the supposed leaked team news. I'm happy to see changes because we haven't started well but id like to see Bellingham and Sancho I don't know where the hell Saka gets a start from.

Also looks like he's ditched his 4 at the back formation in a panic, he doesn't know his best 11 and doesn't even know what tactic to go with it's turning into a shambles this tournament.