England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

TheGame

So it’s an easy run. Why are we twisting ourselves in pretzels trying to make a point.

If you win it all you still win it. It’s just a piece of piss run, and should reach the final or it’s catastrophic
It’s not an easy run as the teams left offer different challenges to the ones knocked out. No match is easy however you can say it’s a preferable run but the matches still need to be won.

That's pretty damn harsh on Deschamps
Who would have thought Cascarino would be hot on french football.

i hold my hands up, having looked at his career, he’s clearly done very well at club level.

happy to admit I was wrong. His successes hadn’t registered with me.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Who would have thought Cascarino would be hot on french football.

i hold my hands up, having looked at his career, he’s clearly done very well at club level.

happy to admit I was wrong. His successes hadn’t registered with me.
Haha I f all about French football bar random games, I just remember his Monaco and Marseille sides.

I agree with your overarching point though, international football is a completely different game to club football. A lot less time with the players, so while tactics of course are still important, I think being able to cultivate a good atmosphere and impose simple but effective game plans are really important. When I think of successful international sides (since I’ve been watching), there aren’t that many that played scintillating football, but rather were able to grind out wins and cut out mistakes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Anyone know what bookies I could place a England to win it all without conceding bet at

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
English fans have a point. It wasn't until fans started calling for Grealish that he came on. We were heading for 0-0 at that point.

I think people forget that we didn't really create anything until that point.
Grealish coming on to kill off us Germans was ALWAYS the tactical plan. The fans had jack shit to do with it let alone England fans calling for a thing

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I know some of you are still buzzing about the result, but standards have really dropped if beating Germany in the round of 16 was enough to satisfy
I don’t know why I find myself defending the English and Southgate, but beating Germany is one of the best results you can get in international football and for England it’s even bigger again.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you go into the bookies and ask them for that specific bet they’ll give you a price.
I usually bet online, I haven’t walked into a bookies for years! I will tomorrow though

edit: just thought, that’s going to be an Intersting conversation in a welsh bookies :nervous::lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Still buzzing. We've just beaten the Germans in a knockout match. Let's not gloss over this achievement. Still feel there's a couple of gears left in this team too

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Absolute piece of piss group. Shite Germany team. Denmark or fecking Czech Republic in the semis. While playing all at Wembley to this point.

Yeah it’s been a real tough run….
:lol: whatever man

Berbasbullet

Next game is in Rome.

can only beat whoever is in front of you.

sounds like you need to chew on your salty bitter tears.
Innit, also as if there weren’t easier last 16 ties than Germany. We also beat World Cup finalists and the side that beat Netherlands without conceding a goal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Absolute piece of piss group. Shite Germany team. Denmark or fecking Czech Republic in the semis. While playing all at Wembley to this point.

Yeah it’s been a real tough run….
You beat what's in front of you. Portugal got the rub of the green last time.

France should've beaten Switzerland, Holland should've beaten Czech Republic...

Berbasbullet

You beat what's in front of you. Portugal got the rub of the green last time.

France should've beaten Switzerland, Holland should've beaten Czech Republic...
We hardly even got the rub of the green, in what universe is drawing Germany in the last 16 ‘the rub of the green’. Fine the draw onwards looks nice but that’s only because Netherlands got knocked out.

Berbasbullet

Anyway what a win! I’m still in shock we managed to do it! We beat freaking Germany in a knockout tournament!

We hardly even got the rub of the green, in what universe is drawing Germany in the last 16 ‘the rub of the green’. Fine the draw onwards looks nice but that’s only because Netherlands got knocked out.
Agreed. Also look at the group we had - it wasn’t easy. It’s very feasible Czech Republic reach the semis, and what a game Croatia had yesterday!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Anyway what a win! I’m still in shock we managed to do it! We beat freaking Germany in a knockout tournament!
Is there any other country that had such a hoodoo to come over ? I can only think of Portugal vs Spain 2004.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could only play Holland in SF aswell, personally think Denmark will be tougher with how they're playing as unit.

Does make a mockery of the people at start of tournament who were advising England to finish 2nd in the group to have an easier knock out stage. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is there any other country that had such a hoodoo to come over ? I can only think of Portugal vs Spain 2004.
Brazil and Chile over Argentina in major tournaments in last 20 years.

Judas

Open to offers
Could only play Holland in SF aswell, personally think Denmark will be tougher with how they're playing as unit.

Does make a mockery of the people at start of tournament who were advising England to finish 2nd in the group to have an easier knock out stage. :lol:
Aye I went a few days with this line of thinking, until I realised how we'd lose all our home advantage and get thrown into the other half of the draw. Lesson learnt.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
England should make the final, they don't look inspired (none of the traditional great teams do this year), but really solid. An Italy - England or Belgium - England final would be great fun, I bet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When Muller missed that chance... it feels like their is something on Englands side.

We should make the final... and at that point, at Wembley, anything can happen.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
England should make the final, they don't look inspired (none of the traditional great teams do this year), but really solid. An Italy - England or Belgium - England final would be great fun, I bet.
Spain will win it in my opinion. They are getting into it at perfect time.

we’ve got a chance. No one I know is looking past the next game. We can’t influence who we play, so it is who it is.

whoever wins it, will need a bit of luck. Would be fantastic to have the final at Wembley with England playing - but a long way to go.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Hope we don't go with 7 defensive players again. I know we got the win eventually but it was so boring for a good hour at least.
It was in retrospect wasn't it. Game changed with Grealish coming on. Playing the percentages before that hoping for a half chance. Working so far but...

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
A lot of proper miserable sods in here.

Lighten up, we just beat Germany 2-0 in a game that actually mattered.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They are disciplined, coherent, and know how to grind out a win. I wouldn't sleep on them, even if everything is aligning for England so far
Got injuries though. Lad from the red card and Yarmolenko also went off start of extra time.

They have some good ball carrying players so can see them getting into final third frequently without creating much. Given the way they defended v Holland can't see the defence holding out that well, Sweden should've scored a couple tonight.

AndyMUFC

Southgate got everything spot on today so fair play. We've not beaten a team of Germany's quality since 1966 in a knockout game so it is a big achievement. Of course the team selection was pragmatic but it was hardly park the bus and give away 70% of the ball was it? He's playing in a way that he thinks gives him the most chance of success and can you really argue at the moment?

Bring on Ukraine.