England in India 2021

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
is that not always largely the case? Can we expect any lively pitches this tour?
Atleast there's decent bounce somewhere. It gets result but the first two days are just dull to watch.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Atleast there's decent bounce somewhere. It gets result but the first two days are just dull to watch.
As an England fan this is a great watch...for now.

Maybe the novelty of watching a flat deck as it seems to get tougher to bat in England every year.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As an England fan this is a great watch...for now.

Maybe the novelty of watching a flat deck as it seems to get tougher to bat in England every year.
test cricket is more fun to watch on bowling wickets imo.

JohnnyKills

Lovely for England at the moment this. Can feel a sloppy dismissal coming though, maybe a run out.

Edit: Just like Root nearly did there.

slyadams

Will be interesting to see how Archer does on this pitch, whilst India have the best spinner(s) England has the quick that could make the difference.

zing

Zingle balls
Why is Harsha not on comms? Or have I just missed him?

NinjaFletch

You'd think after Sibley got a 50 against Sri Lanka nudging it into the leg side 50 times that India would have cut that option off.

AshRK

Jadeja is being missed here. You could see the gulf between Ashwin and nadeem/sundar. This is why Ash/jadeja combo is so good.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Odd pitch for a first test of a series, have the ground staff been overly conservative prepping for back-to-back matches?

Obviously can all change in a few overs, but this looks like a batting paradise.

*Not to downplay what's been a terrific partnership

zing

Zingle balls
Odd pitch for a first test of a series, have the ground staff been overly conservative prepping for back-to-back matches?

Obviously can all change in a few overs, but this looks like a batting paradise.

*Not to downplay what's been a terrific partnership
It's always played like this in last 10+ years - garbage wicket

England have batted well though.

Hopefully it turns starting day 3/4/5.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is actually a nightmare of a wicket to bat on just Sibbers and Root have tamed it.

You wait until we have Leach and Bess bowling in tandem with Pope chirping at short leg.

Kohli will not have faced that level of intensity before.

zing

Zingle balls
Not sure dominating. Could easily be 300-6. Looks like a pitch where you need a massive score.
This series is just going to be the two teams' fans trying to be more pessimistic than the other

This has been a fantastic day for England

JohnnyKills

What were the commentators saying between overs then, when they thought they were off-air?

NinjaFletch

This series is just going to be the two teams' fans trying to be more pessimistic than the other

This has been a fantastic day for England
Well let me be the first to say that India will score 700 and win by an innings then.

JohnnyKills

Bugger.

Tbf it was a good ball, he just wasn't quite up to it. He didn't throw his wicket away.

Hephaestus

Shame for Sibley, he'd batted really well and to get out right at the end of the day.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The way Root starts slowly and once he gets the measure of the pitch his scoring rate just accelerates. He was never this good before, was he? It's only in the last couple of years he has really 'matured' as a top class batsman. He was always good, but never quite this good. Maybe it took him a while to truly get comfortable as the Captain?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The way Root starts slowly and once he gets the measure of the pitch his scoring rate just accelerates. He was never this good before, was he? It's only in the last couple of years he has really 'matured' as a top class batsman. He was always good, but never quite this good. Maybe it took him a while to truly get comfortable as the Captain?
Commentators were talking about how under Silverwood he's had less responsibilities than under the previous coaching setup. More time to focus on his game, may well be something in this.

NinjaFletch

The period with Moores as a coach he was absurd. I can't remember an England batsman making run scoring in this country look as stupidly easy as he did then.

In microcosm, I think Root's form either side of Bayliss sums up how fecking terrible he was. Turns out you bat well in test matches by batting well in test matches not by trying to rattle along at 5 an over.