England in India 2021

Dan_F

If you take away the soft decision it looked like it bounced to me.

edit. I’d be annoyed if that went against an England batter.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Is my eyes deceiving or was that clear not out?

Root intimidating the umpire though, clearly learning from Kohli.

JohnnyKills

Root absolutely right to have a go there.

If the zoom shows it not out, fair enough. But the fact they only showed two replays was shocking.

NinjaFletch

You need the behind angle for that one he's clearly got his fingers around it before the ball obscures them. There's no way you can tell from the front that they're not underneath it.

prateik

England have given up on the cricket and are going all out trying to be the victims here.

That replay of Stokes laughing like he had been wronged :lol:

YAMS49

You need the behind angle for that one he's clearly got his fingers around it before the ball obscures them. There's no way you can tell from the front that they're not underneath it.
Agreed. To overturn the soft signal there you need to be looking at far more angles. Far too fast a decision made & possibly what the England boys were complaining about.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

There's no chance there's a finger below the ball. Right decision was made.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't think you need another angle if you're convinced the one you're seeing shows you it's been grassed. You need another angle to be sure in case of the otherwise. And the trajectory of the ball, the brief moment when it grazed along the surface, him picking it up - all of it was apparent to me from that little replay.

I think this one would have been annoying with Pujara's catch being given so early hardly an hour ago.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fans are amazing. They will complain if 3rd umpire waste time on decision but will complain when they don't. Poor from Stoke .. that sarcastic clap after literally lifting it from ground.

YAMS49

I don't think you need another angle if you're convinced the one you're seeing shows you it's been grassed. You need another angle to be sure in case of the otherwise. And the trajectory of the ball, the brief moment when it grazed along the surface, him picking it up - all of it was apparent to me from that little replay.

I think this one would have been annoying with Pujara's catch being given so early hardly an hour ago.
Exactly this, it's that the 3rd umpire isn't using all the camera options as are done in other countries. That's the problem. The fact that England perceive to be on the receiving end of the majority is debatable.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Fans are amazing. They will complain if 3rd umpire waste time on decision but will complain when they don't. Poor from Stoke .. that sarcastic clap after literally lifting it from ground.
No fan complains if there is a legitimate reason to take time on a decision. No fans would complain if the decision is made quickly if obvious.

I think the Stokes decision was correct, but due to the soft signal being out they should have shown more angles.

prateik

No fan complains if there is a legitimate reason to take time on a decision. No fans would complain if the decision is made quickly if obvious.

I think the Stokes decision was correct, but due to the soft signal being out they should have shown more angles.
Why? If they could see it bounced from the first replay, why show more angles ?
It makes no sense.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

All umpire had to do was to roll one frame more. It looked like it bounced but next frame it's rolling on grass.

Stoke knew about it and still did sarcastic clap.

JohnnyKills

Exactly this, it's that the 3rd umpire isn't using all the camera options as are done in other countries. That's the problem. The fact that England perceive to be on the receiving end of the majority is debatable.
Guess it's cumulative frustration.

England will feel that India have prepared two dodgy pitches and that the majority of decisions have gone their way. The fact that England still had two reviews at the end of their innings shows how many umpire's calls there were.

Not saying they're right, but that will be the reason.

prateik

Every other nation shows more angles/information. Especially on soft signal overrules.
Even if the first replay is conclusive? If they do, they are wasting time. The only reason you should check multiple angles is if you cant be sure and are looking for the best possible view.. If the first replay shows it bounced, looking at a side on angle where the view is obstructed by other slip fielders does nothing.. even looking at another angle that might have a better view does nothing.. If its that clear, any more angles is utterly pointless.

YAMS49

England will feel that India have prepared two dodgy pitches and that the majority of decisions have gone their way. The fact that England still had two reviews at the end of their innings shows how many umpire's calls there were.

Definitely, yes. No doubt the are riled at a combination of their own failings and their/the perception they aren't getting the rub of the green, so to speak.

YAMS49

Even if the first replay is conclusive? If they do, they are wasting time. The only reason you should check multiple angles is if you cant be sure and are looking for the best possible view.. If the first replay shows it bounced, looking at a side on angle where the view is obstructed by other slip fielders does nothing.. even looking at another angle that might have a better view does nothing.. If its that clear, any more angles is utterly pointless.
Fine but at least show these angle(s) briefly. Again every nation does this, it's about going through the deemed correct process. When you have one nation doing things differently to others, using their own umpires, it provides fuel to the opposition quarters searching for blame.

prateik

Wait.. they renamed Motera the Narendra Modi stadium :lol:
What a man .. Adani end too..

Jay Shah going on camera and praising his father and Modi for the stadium..

This is like a bad joke.

prateik

Fine but at least show these angle(s) briefly. Again every nation does this, it's about going through the deemed correct process. When you have one nation doing things differently to others, using their own umpires, it provides fuel to the opposition quarters searching for blame.
Who has deemed it the correct process? If the Pujara catch was given out without any further replays, I would understand your point.. This was as clear as they come. If anyone looks and that and things it needed more replays, they should get their eyes checked.
If people want to complain and look to play the victim card, go ahead.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just returned after two hours of calls.

I see things have not improved.

AshRK

England should be more worried about their batting than pitch, umpires or anything else. That was a shambolic batting performance and some really good bowling.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yes. How many times does the third umpire check for a knick on the ball when making an LBW decision even when it's obvious the ball has missed the bat? Pretty much always..

YAMS49

Who has deemed it the correct process?
Every other Test nation who do it that way. It's about following the pattern & doing what others do. Just extend the replay, let it run a bit longer or show another to be as conclusive as possible.

If the Pujara catch was given out without any further replays, I would understand your point.. This was as clear as they come. If anyone looks and that and things it needed more replays, they should get their eyes checked.
If people want to complain and look to play the victim card, go ahead.
Some elements of the English fraternity will do that, why give them the opportunity? Just give them as much evidence as possible is all I'm saying. Do what all the other Test nations do.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Curious to see if we try and force this now and lose our discipline.

Or if India counter attack a bit.

prateik

Yes. How many times does the third umpire check for a knick on the ball when making an LBW decision even when it's obvious the ball has missed the bat? Pretty much always..
If there is a big gap between bat and ball, they dont.. if its that obvious, they dont need to.
If its close, they have technology which can overrule what the eye sees with the snicko. There is no such tech for catches.. That first replay was as conclusive as it can get.
Every other Test nation who do it that way. It's about following the pattern & doing what others do. Just extend the replay, let it run a bit longer or show another to be as conclusive as possible.
It was as conclusive as possible. Showing worse angles wouldnt help.
That's my entire point.. it was as clear as you need it to be to make a decision. No other replay or angle can overrule that..

edit: this is boring. I think it was clear from the replay and I cant see what the issue is. I really have nothing to add to that.