England in India 2021

prateik

Has any pink ball test lasted 5 days? In fact, how many go past 3 days?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don't think that performances of the batting should be the only criteria to judge a pitch . It was wrong to think Chennai wasn't bad just because India got runs on it and this is worse because India have been bowled out too . These are just very very hard conditions to bat in , I can understand home advantage but this is pushing it to the extreme.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Its weird this constant moaning. I remember the 2014 tour of England where we got absolutely destroyed on wickets where the ball was swinging and seaming all over the place. People have forgotten that horrid green Lords pitch where Bhuvi and Ishant bowled beautifully to win us the test match.

That said, we weren't happy with the wickets in both 2011 and 2014 so we completely changed the wickets at home from flat to spin on the first day. I'm not sure what people expect? Unless the ICC change the fundamentals of cricket, this will never change. We will play to our strengths and we'll continue exploiting these obvious weaknesses. (We cant play against spin either).

YAMS49

Its weird this constant moaning. I remember the 2014 tour of England where we got absolutely destroyed on wickets where the ball was swinging and seaming all over the place. People have forgotten that horrid green Lords pitch where Bhuvi and Ishant bowled beautifully to win us the test match.

That said, we weren't happy with the wickets in both 2011 and 2014 so we completely changed the wickets at home from flat to spin on the first day. I'm not sure what people expect? Unless the ICC change the fundamentals of cricket, this will never change. We will play to our strengths and we'll continue exploiting these obvious weaknesses. (We cant play against spin either).
I certainly prefer these Tests to boring 3 innings draws. Far more fun to watch.

zing

Zingle balls
We would be losing this series if we hadn’t found Axar.

Di Maria's angel

I don't think that performances of the batting should be the only criteria to judge a pitch . It was wrong to think Chennai wasn't bad just because India got runs on it and this is worse because India have been bowled out too . These are just very very hard conditions to bat in , I can understand home advantage but this is pushing it to the extreme.
Both teams actually need to learn how to play against the straight ball.

Dan_F

There’s plenty of people saying that this has little to do with the pitch and more to do with poor batting.

Sibley trying to slog sweep a newish ball at 19-2. It’s bizarre.

NinjaFletch

Given how Pope and Stokes played in the first innings these 14 runs look a long way away.

Di Maria's angel

How come no one complained when Jimmy destroyed New Zealand when he was boomeranging the ball. When was it? 2008? Trent Bridge?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
More people moaning about people moaning about the pitch than actual people moaning.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How come no one complained when Jimmy destroyed New Zealand when he was boomeranging the ball. When was it? 2008? Trent Bridge?

You can't defend one bad pitch by referring to another. Plus swing is a lot more dependent on weather conditions. I wish we could see more fair pitches that allow an even contest between bat and ball.

Dan_F

How does the pitch have anything to do with how the ball is moving out of the hand. Weirdly we can’t control the atmosphere/weather conditions. Do you think we enjoy living in a grey, overcast country :lol:

You’re the only one mentioning the pitch on this page. Most people are saying it’s shit batting.

Di Maria's angel

I would guess it's because there is more human control over the quality of pitch preparation than English weather.
What about the ball thats used in English conditions? Yes, weather plays a part. But then again if you want fair, then pitches in England should be curated with less grass, bounce etc.

YAMS49

What about the ball thats used in English conditions? Yes, weather plays a part. But then again if you want fair, then pitches in England should be curated with less grass, bounce etc.
Swing is down to the weather predominantly. There are times a new ball won't swing at all depending on the cloud cover.

Dan_F

When I'm in charge of English cricket I'm banning the slog sweep in Test cricket.
Exactly. Unless you’ve faced at least 100 balls. Stokes looks like he’s going to either score a quick 50 or get out next ball.

Di Maria's angel

Swing is down to the weather predominantly. There are times a new ball won't swing at all depending on the cloud cover.
You reckon a pitch (soil) like this with an SG ball would promote swing on cloudy day at Trent Bridge?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
ok, I can’t be the only one who thought that was pad first? Root didn’t seem like he hit it either.
I was in the bat first camp but it might be telling Root didn't think he had hit it first.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He should’ve done just for the meltdown. Do it for the lulz.

ultimately not enough in there to call it, right decision made
To be honest the meltdown isn't dependent on whether it's the right decision or not here.

NinjaFletch

ok, I can’t be the only one who thought that was pad first? Root didn’t seem like he hit it either.
Yeah, it's all very close. From Root's reaction I'm not sure he thought he hit it either.

Not really sure there's enough there to overturn the umpires decision either.