England in India 2021

Fully Fledged

I think the real issue has been the fact that the match got over in 2 days. Had India scored 250 then this talk wouldn't have been there to this extent. I do agree that such pitches shouldn't be made. But then was it the worst pitch ever seen, no?
Exactly. If India had gotten 250 plus no one had would be talking about the pitch.

AshRK

Exactly. If India had gotten 250 plus no one had would be talking about the pitch.
But one should also look at India's batting. You are putting too much emphasis on Root's figures when as I said in my earlier post most of his wickets, in fact all the 5 wickets were result of poor batting and careless shots. These things happen and will continue to happen. One can continue just solely blaming the pitch but one also has to put some blame on the batting from both the sides. Rohit showed how to bat amd unfortunately he got out playing a wrong shot, nothing due to pitch.

And again this is not to defend the pitch as I myself have said such pitches shouldn't be made. But maybe we are overly critical of the pitch and letting batsmen walk away. Kohli also said it was a below par batting performance. I didn't agree with him that it was a good batting pitch but it was definitely a below par batting performance.

NinjaFletch

to be honest I’m not convinced at just how light hearted it was but I don’t disagree about Duckett, it’s one for the players to sort themselves :lol:
Oh she's taking the piss absolutely and fair enough if Burns isn't in the mood to hear it, but come on we've seen worse things tweeted from those English language Bundesliga accounts that try really hard to funny.

Such a storm in a teacup.

Fully Fledged

But one should also look at India's batting. You are putting too much emphasis on Root's figures when as I said in my earlier post most of his wickets, in fact all the 5 wickets were result of poor batting and careless shots. These things happen and will continue to happen. One can continue just solely blaming the pitch but one also has to put some blame on the batting from both the sides. Rohit showed how to bat amd unfortunately he got out playing a wrong shot, nothing due to pitch.

And again this is not to defend the pitch as I myself have said such pitches shouldn't be made. But maybe we are overly critical of the pitch and letting batsmen walk away. Kohli also said it was a below par batting performance. I didn't agree with him that it was a good batting pitch but it was definitely a below par batting performance.
The reason that I'm putting so much emphasis on Roots figures is because that at no standard of cricket should he ever be getting a 5 for, he just isn't that good, no matter at test level. Yes the batting was poor, school boy level even, but the pitch was atrocious.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
How much of this pitch was crap due to it being the first match at a new stadium?

And Also the ball being lacquered twice?

sport2793

How much of this pitch was crap due to it being the first match at a new stadium?

And Also the ball being lacquered twice?
I don't know if anyone can ascribe a particular number to it but I'm sure it played a part. Personally I think the pink ball had the biggest impact though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bumrah released from 4th test squad.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
‘inability to pick the straight ball’ is the worst summary of this match. There is a lot of mental gymnastics in this thread to defend a match that ended in less than two days. That is one of the worst pitches we’ve had in recent memory. It was a complete disgrace and will kill the game if we roll it out every time.

not surprisingly, it feels like the only people defending the pitch are the ones who just saw the highlights or even less.
Exactly. This is not about sour grapes from England supporters, I think the fact that India felt they need to produce pitches that are spinning and showing uneven bounce from the first morning is actually a compliment to England that India feel they need to nullify the threat of England’s pace bowlers and batsman after the first test (which was a good test wicket) to such an extent. And India are well in their right to prepare pitches to increase their chances to win, England will do exactly the same in the summer after all. The problem is that it’s not good for test cricket and it will turn people off from watching test cricket in India. At this rate people will only turn up for white ball cricket.
I would like to point out that a grassy pitch is still playable as the pitch will hold together. It is still takes far more skill for pace bowlers to get wickets on a grassy pitch than it will for spinners to take wickets on a pitch that’s falling apart. Not making excuses for England, both sides have to deal with the same conditions and India were simply the far better side the past 2 tests (although India should be grateful for Rohit & Ashwin because their batting was for most part just as poor as England’s, there really isn’t much difference between the sides except India have far better spinners). It’s a shame because it takes some of the gloss off India’s outstanding performances in test cricket over the past 2-3 years or so. India are currently the outstanding team in test cricket at the moment without a doubt. England are also an exciting side with a talented crop coming through, it’s a shame the pitches in the last 2 tests weren’t up to standard and we were robbed of a proper spectacle between 2 good or even great sides.

Rams

I think the real issue has been the fact that the match got over in 2 days. Had India scored 250 then this talk wouldn't have been there to this extent. I do agree that such pitches shouldn't be made. But then was it the worst pitch ever seen, no?
I can’t remember seeing a pitch as poor as the last one, or even back to back test on pitches as poor as the last 2. And I’ve seen some stinkers in Asia and the Caribbean.

sport2793

Exactly. This is not about sour grapes from England supporters, I think the fact that India felt they need to produce pitches that are spinning and showing uneven bounce from the first morning is actually a compliment to England that India feel they need to nullify the threat of England’s pace bowlers and batsman after the first test (which was a good test wicket) to such an extent. And India are well in their right to prepare pitches to increase their chances to win, England will do exactly the same in the summer after all. The problem is that it’s not good for test cricket and it will turn people off from watching test cricket in India. At this rate people will only turn up for white ball cricket.
I would like to point out that a grassy pitch is still playable as the pitch will hold together. It is still takes far more skill for pace bowlers to get wickets on a grassy pitch than it will for spinners to take wickets on a pitch that’s falling apart. Not making excuses for England, both sides have to deal with the same conditions and India were simply the far better side the past 2 tests (although India should be grateful for Rohit & Ashwin because their batting was for most part just as poor as England’s, there really isn’t much difference between the sides except India have far better spinners). It’s a shame because it takes some of the gloss off India’s outstanding performances in test cricket over the past 2-3 years or so. India are currently the outstanding team in test cricket at the moment without a doubt. England are also an exciting side with a talented crop coming through, it’s a shame the pitches in the last 2 tests weren’t up to standard and we were robbed of a proper spectacle between 2 good or even great sides.
I wouldn't go as far to say England are a great side and if anything, I would give India a better chance of producing a winning result on the grassy pitches you adore than England on a pitch that is "falling apart". I think many would take India's fast bowling attack over almost any other unit at the moment, especially considering the tremendous depth they showed in Aus. I think while the pitch pink ball combo produced a less than stellar test match result, the reality is that England won the toss and both teams batted twice. India batted horrendously by their standards yet still won by 10 wickets. That's really the story of this match.

Credit to England for defeating expectations with that initial test win. However, one could argue that the Indian team have actually underperformed and can be accused of looking too far ahead.

Last edited:

Rams

I wouldn't go as far to say England are a great side and if anything, I would give India a better chance of producing a winning result on the grassy pitches you adore than England on a pitch that is "falling apart". I think many would take India's fast bowling attack over almost any other unit at the moment, especially considering the tremendous depth they showed in Aus. I think while the pitch pink ball combo produced a less than stellar test match result, the reality is that England won the toss and both teams batted twice. India batted horrendously by their standards yet still won by 10 wickets. That's really the story of this match.

Credit to England for defeating expectations with that initial test win. However, one could argue that the Indian team have actually underperformed and can be accused of looking too far ahead.
England have a very good side. The problem England have is the lack off top class spinners and lack of experience of playing cricket in the sub continent. The batting is very inexperienced on the whole. Yet, just take a look at England’s results over the past 1,5 years or so.

sport2793

England have a very good side. The problem England have is the lack off top class spinners and lack of experience of playing cricket in the sub continent. The batting is very inexperienced on the whole. Yet, just take a look at England’s results over the past 1,5 years or so.
England definitely have a promising side that can go on to achieve greater results than any of their sides of the past few decades. I need to see them win in Aus before declaring them a great side though, after all the Ashes is the most important test series in cricket.

Rams

England definitely have a promising side that can go on to achieve greater results than any of their sides of the past few decades. I need to see them win in Aus before declaring them a great side though, after all the Ashes is the most important test series in cricket.
I’m not declaring England a great, they’re a good side with bags of potential. India are a great side though.

sport2793

I’m not declaring England a great, they’re a good side with bags of potential. India are a great side though.
My main point is that it would be great to see England finally topple Aus in Aus and the upcoming opportunity might be a ripe one to do so if they continue to build.

Rams

There are also some good players coming through for England. Take note of Tom Lammonby for example. Opening left handed batsman at Somerset. Averaging 50+ in county cricket after debuting last summer. 50+ in a debut season in English conditions (all be it at Taunton) is outstanding. And he’s a more than decent bowler would you believe it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes his England debut this summer.

Rams

My main point is that it would be great to see England finally topple Aus in Aus and the upcoming opportunity might be a ripe one to do so if they continue to build.
I think that series may come too soon for this England batting line up, cricket is played very hard down under and you need experience. On the other hand, apart from their bowling I don’t think this Australia is all that.

sport2793

I think that series may come too soon for this England batting line up, cricket is played very hard down under and you need experience. On the other hand, apart from their bowling I don’t think this Australia is all that.
Ya I think Aus are ripe for the taking. Root and Stokes will both have to come up big with the bat but it's definitely possible. Archer can dominate in those conditions.

JohnnyKills

We've got a better chance in Australia than India for sure

mav_9me

I think for England this series is one to forget. Not all that much they could have done differently with having only one truly reliable spinner.

The truer test of where they are is Australia. India just best Australia with a much depleted squad. As a good a chance as any to beat Australia.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

I bet Vaughan wasn't crying when India were bundled out in Lords in 2018. Here was his tweet then

That lasted 30 overs more than this one. I don't remember this much moaning then.
England scored 400 runs in one innings and declared in that test while India couldn't score above 130 in either. That shows they had no trouble and it was a case of India not being able to handle the pitch.

In this test India were all out in 140 themselves with Root getting 5 wickets. Both teams couldn't play on that pitch.

Many matches have finished in 2 days, but can't remember it happening with four innings taking place. It always happens with an innings defeat and therefore one team just not adjusting to the conditions (like previous matches in India which is a case of the away team just not being able to play spin).

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Has any pink ball test lasted 5 days? In fact, how many go past 3 days?
In Australia, we've had 8 pink ball tests. The only mildly close tests we've had were Australia's 3 wicket win over New Zealand in 2015 and Australia's 40 run win over Pakistan in 2016. Only two have gone into day 5 and both were decided during the first session of day 5. As for the other 6, 3 were decided inside 3 days and 3 were decided during day 4.

I remember South Africa beating Zimbabwe inside 3 days during the 2017-18 season but that was to expected as the Proteas were still a pretty good side back then. England beat the West Indies by an innings in a pink ball test in September 2017. As 228 overs were bowled in that test, it would seem that weather permitting, that test was done inside 3 days as well.

KM

India made 300 odd in both innings in the second test and still there was loads of whining about that pitch.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do we know if there has been any confirmed changes for the next test? (For both sides)

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's going to be funny when this one is flat as pancake and both teams score 750 to secure India the 2-1 win.

England Cricket twitter might explode.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don't think that anyone expects England to win irrespective of the pitch . The one thing about the last test I felt was weird is that generally bowler friendly matches are more fun but I thought it was pretty boring (obviously I have a bias with England losing ) . Second test I thought was more fun to watch . So hopefully it's a more entertaining match and England are able to at least compete

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Good toss to win for England - apparently the pitch is good for batting now but will turn very quickly once again.

England go with 3 spinners, 4 if you count the fella who got a fifer last week. How good are Lawrence and Bess? Archer and Broad dropped.

India bring in Siraj for Bumrah, who's off to get married.

KM

Kohli has won just 2 tosses against England in last 14 attempts. fecking ridiculous.

KM

So lunch now.
Seems bit of a flat track tbh. No spin or nothing.
I think Siraj has been our best bowler so far. Stokes lucky as he edged three in seven balls and all went to vacant slip cordon.

KM

Whoever is responsible for reading the pitch in England should be sacked. Don't think this was a one pacer pitch.