England Tour of India

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Decision to pick so many spinners looking increasingly bad unfortunately here.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Decision to pick so many spinners looking increasingly bad unfortunately here.
Other than Bumrah it’s not like the other Indian quick has looked great in either test. Not sure many quicks outside of Bumrah/Anderson can get as much out of these pitches.

TwoSheds

Other than Bumrah it’s not like the other Indian quick has looked great in either test. Not sure many quicks outside of Bumrah/Anderson can get as much out of these pitches.
I think he's looked alright actually Mukesh for a fairly inexperienced player. I think Wood or Atkinson would have been a good option on this pitch as an alternative or addition to Jimmy, particularly when the ball is either new or old.

ArmchairCritic

I think he's looked alright actually Mukesh for a fairly inexperienced player. I think Wood or Atkinson would have been a good option on this pitch as an alternative or addition to Jimmy, particularly when the ball is either new or old.
Yeah. I think it’s the challenge of picking a team for both ends of the test, first half might be even and you could pick another seamer but in the back end it probably tilts to the spinners. Problem is England are too far behind and bat so quickly they’re not even going to get to cash in on the back end when the spin really kicks in. If Stokes could bowl they’d be ok.

TwoSheds

Yeah. I think it’s the challenge of picking a team for both ends of the test, first half might be even and you could pick another seamer but in the back end it probably tilts to the spinners. Problem is England are too far behind and bat so quickly they’re not even going to get to cash in on the back end when the spin really kicks in. If Stokes could bowl they’d be ok.
Honestly the way the ball kept low for Stokes' wicket, I think it's going to be a better seam pitch than spin all the way through. Plus like you suggest, doesn't look like it's going past the 4th day given the England first innings. I quite like the look of young Shoaib but don't think we needed him, Hartley, Rehan and Root. Agreed about Stokes but we obviously knew he wouldn't be bowling so...

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I can see England chasing 300, but I think India will set 420+.
Yeah 300 roughly is the max I could see England chasing but once you get around 350 lead then that’s England out.

ArmchairCritic

Honestly the way the ball kept low for Stokes' wicket, I think it's going to be a better seam pitch than spin all the way through. Plus like you suggest, doesn't look like it's going past the 4th day given the England first innings. I quite like the look of young Shoaib but don't think we needed him, Hartley, Rehan and Root. Agreed about Stokes but we obviously knew he wouldn't be bowling so...
Maybe. Robinson for Leach wouldn’t have been a bad move at all.

AshRK

After the last match I don't think anyone should be writing England off. Anything can happen.

ArmchairCritic

After the last match I don't think anyone should be writing England off. Anything can happen.
Not even sure Bazball can script a 400+ 4th innings chase in India. But they are also the only team where I kind of feel that they could :lol:

JohnnyKills

Forgot he got Pope too. No qualms with today. Bumrah is elite.
Yeah. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you've been done by a great player.

You could say Crawley gave his wicket away but that's the way we play, isn't it? You can't love it when it works and condemn it when it doesn't.

Root's form is a worry though. Can't see us winning this series without a big contribution from him.

JohnnyKills

Not even sure Bazball can script a 400+ 4th innings chase in India. But they are also the only team where I kind of feel that they could :lol:
Yeah you could see Bairstow or Stokes pulling off a miracle innings couldn't you. Feel like the game has gone though

croadyman

Yeah you could see Bairstow or Stokes pulling off a miracle innings couldn't you. Feel like the game has gone though
Yeah England need to find a way to deal with Bumrah better in the next 2 tests to stay in touch for last one

Atheist

Watching Bumrah is real privilege. It’ll be hard to find another Indian bowler as good as him for the foreseeable future.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
A long day ahead for England I reckon. From an Indian perspective, Rohit could do with a score.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well he didn't get one. Jimmy all over India for now, glimmer of hope for England at 30-2.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not sure how Gill has survived so far this morning. Maybe it's his day.

LDUred

I’ve been impressed how England have stuck around with a rookie spin attack but I’m disappointed at the experienced middle order. Bairstow and Root have been given good platforms to come in on and they haven’t produced. I know we’re only 3 innings deep into the series but they need to step it up!
Losing Brook was a huge blow.

MDFC Manager

Now cruising at 50 not out. It's a funny old game. Very close to England being out of this match.
And now the game is interesting again. India still huge favorites but England would still be in with a 350 target

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
And now the game is interesting again. India still huge favorites but England would still be in with a 350 target
350-400 has the potential to be fascinating as England will genuinely think they can chase it. Conventional wisdom says anything over 300 should be enough but I've given up guessing with us.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well he had a slice of luck but he's making the most of it now (Gill).

If England win this one from here we should retire test cricket as a format, it's done.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Well he had a slice of luck but he's making the most of it now (Gill).

If England win this one from here we should retire test cricket as a format, it's done.
If England win from here, test cricket is the only form of the game that should be played!

Trequarista10

Gill taking the game away from England now. 350 lead might have been game on, but India will be eyeing 450 now.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Gill taking the game away from England now. 350 lead might have been game on, but India will be eyeing 450 now.
They’ll declare with 30-45 mins left to play of the day I think and back themselves to take the wickets over the next two days.

Cloud7

Yeah England need to find a way to deal with Bumrah better in the next 2 tests to stay in touch for last one
I don't think you can deal with him really. Some balls are just unplayable. I mean look at the yorker that got Pope. Good bowling is good bowling. There's a reason why bowlers like him and Starc are so valuable, there are some balls you just can't do anything about.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They’ll declare with 30-45 mins left to play of the day I think and back themselves to take the wickets over the next two days.
I'd be very surprised if India declared. They'll just bat and bat if they can.

SmallCaine

If india manage to screw this from here Rohit and Dravid deserve to be dropped somewhere in the middle of Bay of Bengal. Absolutely haples captaincy, attitude and tactics.

Also for goodness sake get rid of bharat, dude's blocking fecking full tosses from spinners.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If india manage to screw this from here Rohit and Dravid deserve to be dropped somewhere in the middle of Bay of Bengal. Absolutely haples captaincy, attitude and tactics.

Also for goodness sake get rid of bharat, dude's blocking fecking full tosses from spinners.
India have played very well in this test match?