England Tour of India

arnie_ni

Crawley’s mentality is something else. Legit a titan of batting temperament in his own way.
But don't worry, when he gets out playing one of the same shots he gets all the praise for a few posters will here will criticise him

Trequarista10

I think England have half a chance, and under Stokes that's all they've needed.

If Crawley and Ahmed can add some runs early in the morning then all the pressure will be on India. Especially Ahmed, any runs he gets a bonus and can give the middle order a platform to build on.

We'll get a result one way or another tomorrow. And it being day 4 rather than day 5 makes it a bit more achievable.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think England have half a chance, and under Stokes that's all they've needed.

If Crawley and Ahmed can add some runs early in the morning then all the pressure will be on India. Especially Ahmed, any runs he gets a bonus and can give the middle order a platform to build on.

We'll get a result one way or another tomorrow. And it being day 4 rather than day 5 makes it a bit more achievable.
It's England in a test match, unless it rains for two days straight there's always a result!

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Shubman Gill saying it's a 70-30 game is a pretty good insight into the effect this England team has on the opposition.

In normal circumstances India would be thinking they will stroll this.
Looking at the pitch, it's a fair assumption. With bowlers at displosal, not sure why you think the assumption would be anything else.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Looking at the pitch, it's a fair assumption. With bowlers at displosal, not sure why you think the assumption would be anything else.
Cricviz have it at 88% India.

I've not looked at my shitty betting model (+4% on Cricket, thanks for asking). But I'd guess it'll have India in the 90% bracket.

They have two of the greatest test match bowlers in Indian conditions of all time to call upon...

Trequarista10

It's England in a test match, unless it rains for two days straight there's always a result!
True :lol:

But I mean it will be a result on day 4. Pundits keep talking about the highest chases, but those would be innings predominantly on day 5. I'd be much more interested in how many 400+ scores there have been where the innings has been on day 4/end of day 3 (which historically would have been a lot of 3rd innings). I'd assume its a lot more common.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
No demons on this pitch. Couple of partnerships and this could be close.

I've not looked at my shitty betting model (+4% on Cricket, thanks for asking). But I'd guess it'll have India in the 90% bracket.

They have two of the greatest test match bowlers in Indian conditions of all time to call upon...

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
No demons on this pitch. Couple of partnerships and this could be close.
I agree we could make it edgy but In reality India are huge Favs statistically if we are being boring. Baz and Stokes make us dream...

Cloud7

332 with 9 wickets standing doesn't feel quite so intimidating.

Would still be a miracle if we pulled it off.
I would say that England are fully capable of doing it. Now obviously doing it means that someone has to actually do it, but this current iteration of England are one of the few teams kicking around test cricket right now that I would say are more than capable of a win here

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Google have India at 81.6%, which is probably about right, at this stage.

NM

Our batting is going to cost us this series. Terrible decision not to bring Pujara back, and the temperament of our players is shit. There has to be a better keeper/batsman than Bharat. Shambles.

SmallCaine

Atherton didn’t call England favourites at all. He just said they would be disappointed if they didn’t win the series from that point. It’s a silly thing to say after 1 test but he was just referring to England having to take advantage of the situation they were in.
May be I am misunderstanding here not being a native speaker but saying I would be disappointed if we don't win this series now means I consider myself the favorite to win this series otherwise why would you be disappointed. Also the title of his column reads Troubled India full of weak links – England are series favourites now.

zing

Zingle balls
May be I am misunderstanding here not being a native speaker but saying I would be disappointed if we don't win this series now means I consider myself the favorite to win this series otherwise why would you be disappointed. Also the title of his column reads Troubled India full of weak links – England are series favourites now.
It’s just the title - he doesn’t write those presumably. Actual article doesn’t say anything controversial.

LDUred

I think England will still fancy this, but Root and/or Bairstow have to make significant runs. So far they have been carried (especially Root) and you can't afford that in a big chase. If and when India get through the middle order it will over be bar the shouting, so the top six have to fire.

Brook, as stated before, was a huge loss.

croadyman

Yeah that's a more realistic prediction

LDUred

That LBW that Gill survived was a huge call from Marais Erasmus.

It just looked plumb LBW in real time. For that to be reprieved on umpire's call was tough on England.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Yeah those two 80+ partnerships have snuffed out any tiny chance we might have had
Not sure about that. England definitely have a chance, be it a tiny chance or modest chance. I wrote that originally just as Gill hit he century, he was out 4 runs later, which was a pretty significant moment.

zing

Zingle balls
It's a flat pitch on which 3 players have made it a great game. Jaiswal(the pitch was conducive to batting but his team mates made it hard for him), Anderson and Bumrah.

This could've been a boring draw. A decade ago, many games would be boring draws in the sub-continent and these days we rarely have them in test cricket. T20 has been a big contributor to that.

zing

Zingle balls

He induced an injury concern for England during this sublime spell, however, Joe Root exacerbating a blow to his right little finger during the warm-ups when an edge dropped just short of him at first slip.

“His finger is not great,” Anderson said, after Root spent much of the day off the field having it iced. “I don’t think there’s [serious] concerns. It was a case of making sure he’s as good as he can be. There was no point risking it. There’s a chance we will need him with the bat.”

10/10 trolling

SmallCaine

It’s just the title - he doesn’t write those presumably. Actual article doesn’t say anything controversial.
But he did write that England would be disappointed not winning the series from here, are people seriously trying to pretend he isn't implying England favorites there's 4 tests to go, that statement makes sense if it's a 2 or 3 test match series for a 5 match series you don't say that unless you are proclaiming England to be favorites.

Fts 74

It's only because of Stokes/McCullum we're even contemplating England have a chance to get 399.The mindset is were gonna have a go regardless and it's fantastic.

We'll either collapse in a heap 150 all out or make it very interesting.India to win by 80/90 runs.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
wouldn’t be the first time that 11 men have collapsed in heap.

JohnnyKills

Are we going to move on from Leach now? Feel like we should stick with Raheem and Hartley and let them gain experience. This summer we've got Sri Lanka and West Indies so we can afford to let them settle in.

prateik

England need a big big century here..
if they keep scoring this freely, the pressure could be on India pretty soon..

MDFC Manager

Yeah I think this is going to be a peak too high to climb. 300 would have been a lot more intriguing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Good batting from England this morning but that Pope wicket keeps them comfortably ahead for now.

prateik

If they go to lunch with no more losses needing ~200, this is still very much game on..
any more wickets before Lunch and India will be on top..

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Root gets some of Gills luck from yesterday. Also get a ton please mate.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think Root tried to slog his way into form there - bit odd.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Gutted for Crawley there - DRS isn't wrong but it feels harsh for some reason :lol:

That really should be it now, but while Stokes is there who knows.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not sure that should have been given out on the pitch either :lol:

Oh well, not quite had the rub of the green this test match.

Fantastic series so far. Could be a classic.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think Root tried to slog his way into form there - bit odd.
100% finger injury thing. Probably couldn't bat for long, anything else apart from that will be weird.