England Tour of India

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
They’ve actually tried to bat sensibly here but whereas England give you a boundary ball every over India give you nothing. The problem is England’s method of sweeping and playing from the crease isn’t suited here. They need to use their feet more, that’s always the most sustainable way of playing spin.
Sad thing is that Brook is the one guy who tends to come down the track and play back as well. It’s sad that we didn’t get to see him here

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The last paragraph is conventional Cricket wisdom but we did get away with in Pakistan on some of the flattest pitches you've ever seen.
Maybe we can't v India who are about five levels above.
True, but I don't think we played anywhere near this badly v Pakistan either. In fact, I can't remember an England performance where all components of their game have been this bad. Batting, bowling and fielding have all been rubbish.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
India have been amazing this test. The turning point was actually their fielding decisions when they came back with England 200-2. They unsettled batsmen with unorthodox fielding to counteract England's tactics and it worked wonders/allowed bowlers to beat the attempted counterattack.

England will need to learn and assess from this humbling experience. Bazball is a breath of fresh air and has revitalised a frankly crap England test side. But it is aimed at disrupting tradition test cricket. When confronted with novel ideas from the opposition it's been found out here.

On a more simple note, when you're batting on an absolute carpet like this, batting for time is as key as the runs you get. England are never batting more than 90 overs. In conditions where bowlers will naturally toil, that's just not a sustainable way of playing.
This is the key. In terms of splits, England won 9 out of the first 10 Bazball tests and have gone 5 for 11 since. That second chunk has Christchurch, Edgbaston, Lords and Rajkot in it. All games where England were in good positions but squandered them. If they want to become a top side they need to learn when to change the pace of the game and put it away.

Skills

Snitch
They’ve actually tried to bat sensibly here but whereas England give you a boundary ball every over India give you nothing. The problem is England’s method of sweeping and playing from the crease isn’t suited here. They need to use their feet more, that’s always the most sustainable way of playing spin.
Unless your Matthew Hayden and your sweep makes every ball a full toss

ArmchairCritic

Jurel has been amazing behind the stumps. When England bat from the crease or sweep they’re just waiting for a bit of variation to kill them. Completely unable to rotate strike or apply pressure this way.

zing

Zingle balls
Jurel has been amazing behind the stumps. When England bat from the crease or sweep they’re just waiting for a bit of variation to kill them. Completely unable to rotate strike or apply pressure this way.
He had a bad day yesterday but been superb today. Think that’s Bharat done..

prateik

This one looks less out but the umpires gives it.
edit: not out.. yeah.. umpire with 2 poor calls in 1 over.

prateik

Done pretty well after being 50-7... not exactly respectable yet.. but a lot better than it was looking an hour back.

ArmchairCritic

Amazing test from India. A humbling for England. Hope the rest of the series isn’t like this. I love Mark Wood.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Biggest ever test win for India. Unreal turn around after 2nd day.

SmallCaine

England deserve full credit for this win, brilliant batting and bowling on their part helped India get this win.

paulscholes18

A complete Replay of the last time we went to India, win the 1st test then get completely fisted for the rest of the series.

ArmchairCritic

A complete Replay of the last time we went to India, win the 1st test then get completely fisted for the rest of the series.
Last test was a lot closer, Bumrah the difference and England were in this test until Day 3. It’s got very real for them very quick. This is a lot more in line with what I was expecting from this series.

Trequarista10

That Root batting thing is super overblown imo.
I really don't think so. Was the biggest turning point in the game imo. It was well balanced at that point, and subsequently England capitulated.

If Root bats sensibly it relieves pressure on the lower order, occupies time at the crease, wears out Indian bowlers and fielders, gives English bowlers a rest, puts pressure on Indian batsmen.

Skills

Snitch
Barstow is finished in the test form.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes

Is actually a good line up. Root needs to get his shit together as well, or his time might be up as well. 137 tests with a huge number of them as captain might mean he's Cook'd early too.

Last edited:

croadyman

The real worry for England is that india seem to be putting together a proper batting lineup and the next two tests are going to be tough. I think this will end 4-1, especially with KL coming in for Patidar.
Yeah it's finishing 4-1,that first test is starting to look absolutely worthless now

ArmchairCritic

I hope the England management and Stokes take a good hard look at what’s gone wrong in this test and how they gave the advantage away in the first innings.
The more I look at it, the less I think there’s anything England can do about it.

In the first innings it comes down to Root dropping Sharma and then his shot selection vs Bumrah. If England took their chances in the field and played the situation smarter they should have at least had parity.

The problem for me is the differential in the 2nd innings. The Indian attack looked far more dangerous than the the English one on the same pitch. That’s not an approach issue, that’s a fundamental skill deficit. This is something that England cannot overcome if the pitches remain like this. Both with the bat and the ball, the plan to sweep got shown up and the spin attack looked every bit as inexperienced as they are. The can use their feet better in the next test but the spin attack is what it is.

The only way England can get into these tests is with big first innings runs and hoping India get tight with their inexperienced batting lineup.

Skills

Snitch
Problem is he hasn't got the guts to tell Stokes & McCullum that's the best thing for him
That's not coming from them. Stokes himself plays his natural game.

Roots just a very weird batsman, he did this sort of dumb shit before bazball as well. It's like he gets bored out in the middle and then gets himself out in creative ways. There's a reason his conversion rate was shockingly poor for so long.

ArmchairCritic

Problem is he hasn't got the guts to tell Stokes & McCullum that's the best thing for him
I think too many people are giving Root an opportunity to hide here. Stokes & McCullum do not tell any of their batters to do specific things, they will tell them to be positive and back their plans/instincts, Root is a naturally positive player he does not need to change his normal approach. Bad shot selection is all on him.