England Tour of India

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Aside from maybe Hartley who will probably replace Leach at home. I doubt any of the other spinners will play again unless in sub continent or another tour pitch with extra spin.
On what I've seen I'd have Bashir above Hartley. The batting angle is a big one though back home, might well edge Tom ahead as your spinner only needs to hold an end.

Obviously really small sample size of Bashir but his control looks excellent and Ive seen loads of Hartley over the last few years without rating him much. Fantastic show of character though on this tour after his first day.

Rehan Ahmed will end up our Rashid replacement in ODI Cricket.

TheGame

On what I've seen I'd have Bashir above Hartley. The batting angle is a big one though back home, might well edge Tom ahead as your spinner only needs to hold an end.

Obviously really small sample size of Bashir but his control looks excellent and Ive seen loads of Hartley over the last few years without rating him much. Fantastic show of character though on this tour after his first day.

Rehan Ahmed will end up our Rashid replacement in ODI Cricket.
It may depend if they go with Hartley due to his batting similar to the Ashley Giles type player but yeah Bashir definitely putting himself in the frame here.

SmallCaine

People are going to point to the pitch and india's bowling yesterday but I hope Rohit gets the well deserved sacking he is clearly working towards, we had 4 boundary riders and no one around the stumps for foakes yesterday after having England 112-5.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
So the toss was massive on this pitch then. Flatter pitches were suiting India, this has levelled it up.

Weird choice, if it was a choice. Sometimes the pitch can't be tamed.

MDFC Manager

Whatever India get this innings is critical because I don't see either team scoring 175+ in the second innings

zing

Zingle balls
So the toss was massive on this pitch then. Flatter pitches were suiting India, this has levelled it up.

Weird choice, if it was a choice. Sometimes the pitch can't be tamed.
I think it's a bit early to say that.

There were only about 50 overs between England making runs and India collapsing. India have been poor and England better.

I think if we can get another 60 here(which is a LONG way away), we can come back into the game.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think it's a bit early to say that.

There were only about 50 overs between England making runs and India collapsing. India have been poor and England better.

I think if we can get another 60 here(which is a LONG way away), we can come back into the game.
Yeah all fair. Certainly not over yet, you might repeat our 8th wicket partnership!

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Good test this. England ahead but a good partnership developing. If India keep going like this it will be a 1 innings shootout. Chasing anything above 200 will be difficult.

Apart from a few silly days in the last test, it’s been a really promising tour for England.

SmallCaine

Tomorrow's first hour will decide the game. If india can use the 1st hour and the effect of the roller to get the lead to 50-70, india will be well and truly in it. If England wrap it up early, it's England's to lose.

prateik

Good test this. England ahead but a good partnership developing. If India keep going like this it will be a 1 innings shootout. Chasing anything above 200 will be difficult.

Apart from a few silly days in the last test, it’s been a really promising tour for England.
Will have to get the deficit down to 60-70 at least..

Long long long way to go. Fresh tomorrow morning.. new ball due soon.. England will clean it up pretty soon..

Most probably will be a 100+ lead. India will have to bowl and bat brilliantly to even make this close.

ArmchairCritic

Tomorrow's first hour will decide the game. If india can use the 1st hour and the effect of the roller to get the lead to 50-70, india will be well and truly in it. If England wrap it up early, it's England's to lose.
It’s so funny how often watch test cricket and you say ‘the first hour is crucial’ but it actually always is :lol: .

ArmchairCritic

Will have to get the deficit down to 60-70 at least..

Long long long way to go. Fresh tomorrow morning.. new ball due soon.. England will clean it up pretty soon..

Most probably will be a 100+ lead. India will have to bowl and bat brilliantly to even make this close.
They are capable, just as England are of batting like plonkers and shooting themselves out for 80 or whatever (historical baggage not a shot at Bazball!). Fascinating stuff.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They are capable, just as England are of batting like plonkers and shooting themselves out for 80 or whatever (historical baggage not a shot at Bazball!). Fascinating stuff.
Hi mate,

Bazball police.

Happy to clear this one.

SmallCaine

It’s so funny how often watch test cricket and you say ‘the first hour is crucial’ but it actually always is :lol: .
It's always crucial but it's rarely the decider like tomorrow, India need to not just survive it but score quickly or we are done for this test.

ArmchairCritic

I’ll honestly never forget waking up and checking the scorecard for the Day 5 of the 2006 Adelaide test. 59-1 over night to 128 all out and Australia chased down 168. I live with that every winter :lol: .

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I’ll honestly never forget waking up and checking the scorecard for the Day 5 of the 2006 Adelaide test. 59-1 over night to 128 all out and Australia chased down 168. I live with that every winter :lol: .
Christ yeah I remember that one. Was a teenager and rolled in at a stupid time in the morning with England halfway through the collapse. Horrible.

Fts 74

Still a lot of work to do if England are to win this test match. Hopefully anything over a 75 lead would be great, as batting is only going to get harder.I think they'll come out swinging in their second innings, anything over 200 to chase will be very tough.

JohnnyKills

It may depend if they go with Hartley due to his batting similar to the Ashley Giles type player but yeah Bashir definitely putting himself in the frame here.
Yeah I think Hartley is in now for that very reason.

They'll all get plenty of game time with injuries, rotation and the need to play two spinners. Plus Rehan may end up batting in the top six.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah I think Hartley is in now for that very reason.

They'll all get plenty of game time with injuries, rotation and the need to play two spinners. Plus Rehan may end up batting in the top six.
Even if England get done 4-1 here it’s massive to come out this series with a spin attack we can invest in. Rehan’s got the most work to do but that’s a by product of him being leggie. My biggest concern is how the domestic game will develop them when they’re not playing for England.

If England find 1/2 more point of difference quicks, another middle order bat and get Stokes bowling again I’m extremely confident for the long term prospects of this side.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Even if England get done 4-1 here it’s massive to come out this series with a spin attack we can invest in. Rehan’s got the most work to do but that’s a by product of him being leggie. My biggest concern is how the domestic game will develop them when they’re not playing for England.

If England find 1/2 more point of difference quicks, another middle order bat and get Stokes bowling again I’m extremely confident for the long term prospects of this side.
Not like me to be pedantic or strong on opinion but here we go...

- I reckon Rehan is easily the most talented of the spinners. He'll be good on flat decks. I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't have a long career at International level with the white ball minimum. Hartley and Bashir have had great tours but one of/both could easily dissapear outside Asia (not saying they will).

- We do lack raw pace generally but there's loads of pace bowlers lining up to be picked. Tongue, Potts and Fisher will all get chances this summer i reckon. The cupboard is fine.

- Middle order wise Brook will obviously be first choice pick at 5. We've got numerous young wicket keeper batsmen who will also fit in, James Rew probably top of the list. Then you have Josh Bohannon, Sam Hain etc all ready to go.

- Stokes bowling again. He's a freak so clearly he wants to which means he will. but I can't see that being a long term option. He's 'only' 32 but his body is about 45. I reckon he'll patch himself up as an all-rounder until the next Ashes away series maximum. His late career will be as a batsmen only.

Every single young player in England will be desperate to play red ball Cricket for England at the moment so I share your overall optimism too. My favourite period to be a fan since we reached the top of the rankings.

ArmchairCritic

- I reckon Rehan is easily the most talented of the spinners. He'll be good on flat decks. I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't have a long career at International level with the white ball minimum. Hartley and Bashir have had great tours but one of/both could easily dissapear outside Asia (not saying they will).

- We do lack raw pace generally but there's loads of pace bowlers lining up to be picked. Tongue, Potts and Fisher will all get chances this summer i reckon. The cupboard is fine.

- Middle order wise Brook will obviously be first choice pick at 5. We've got numerous young wicket keeper batsmen who will also fit in, James Rew probably top of the list. Then you have Josh Bohannon, Sam Hain etc all ready to go.

- Stokes bowling again. He's a freak so clearly he wants to which means he will. but I can't see that being a long term option. He's 'only' 32 but his body is about 45. I reckon he'll patch himself up as an all-rounder until the next Ashes away series maximum. His late career will be as a batsmen only.
I agree on Rehan, it’s just a wrist spinner thing. He’s going to have difficult days, give you drag downs etc etc. There’s no need to over expose him, we can really take our time with him. I really want him to develop his craft because if he does, it’s going to be beautiful.

Gus Atkinson and John Turner are interesting raw pace prospects. England in England will always be fine but I’m thinking about Australia away here more than anything else. Can’t just have Mark Wood as a point of difference.

Middle order, I just want England to be strong on Bairstow. Brook in there for him is a no brainer but I sense Foakes will go instead. I quite like Foakes’ style @ 7, it gives the top order a chance to play their strokes whilst having some insurance in that lower order to rebuild. He should average more than he does.

Can never really assume anything with Stokes, wouldn’t surprise me to see him bowling tomorrow.

Trequarista10

There's plenty of young talent coming through in all positions and a fair few older (25-30) in County who could be international level but timing wise there hasnt been a vacancy for them. My main concern with the future of England's pace bowling is the fact that over the last few years so many of our quick bowlers have sustained long term injuries or battled against repeated injuries, especially those who can bowl 85+. It may be an inevitable risk for quicks but certainly seems like there's been more than usual. Might be coincidence but can't help think there's something about how we use/train/prepare/advise quick bowlers in England. Even those that avoid injury tend to have lost a few mph in exchange for a more durable action.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I misread the pitch badly, still unsure why it was so flat in the second half of day 1. So so impressed by Bashir and his control over his line. Hate being negative Nancy but once again Bazball era is full of examples where they don’t put the foot on the throat when they are on top. Hope this day 3 is better than day 3 at Rajkot

iKnowNothing

Poor day in the office for India. I don’t see them getting any lead in the first innings.
An 80-100 run lead for England will be the match I think.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Every single young player in England will be desperate to play red ball Cricket for England at the moment so I share your overall optimism too. My favourite period to be a fan since we reached the top of the rankings.
Just looked at Rew's first class average - 45 after a not insignificant number of games! Also looks a nice fluid keeper too, and he's only just turned 20 so plenty of time to learn and improve.

I look forward to seeing him in the team, I love watching elegant left hand bat wicket keepers. Sangakkara probably my favourite player to watch ever, and I wouldn't want Foakes to get dropped for an average wicket keeper just because they're good at batting. For me choosing a great wicket keeper is actually a positive, attacking selection as you need to take 20 wickets every game so it's a hugely important position.

I'll trust Stokes and co to know when Rew is ready but I hope they don't wait too long just because he's more Root than Bairstow with the bat in terms of style. It might even be worth trying Rew and Foakes in the same team at some point so that Rew can learn from the best.

LDUred

Hartley and especially Rehan as a legspinner are excellent prospects, but I think England will work a lot on Bashir in particular simply because with a doosra he would be lethal.

Unlike Rehan he doesn't bat and probably never will but if he can turn the ball both ways he will be extremely difficult to face. Especially as Bashir seems to have a lot of control, decent pace, and high release point.

But as a bowling unit the three of them have really excelled so far.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
Robinson has now bowled more no-balls in Test cricket than he has taken wickets: 77 to 76

croadyman

Robinson needs to stop with the no balls,worrying this is creeping ever near to less than 100 lead. We desperately need the new ball to finish this innings