England Tour of India

AshRK

Why do India have such a stacked test calendar at home this year? Just read they have NZ AND Bangladesh coming up too. Ten tests!
Well we have already played two away tours and this is our first home series in this WTC cycle.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well we have already played two away tours and this is our first home series in this WTC cycle.
I've never known England play more than 8 tests in a summer and we don't often do that now. Was just wondering if that was normal for India.

zing

Zingle balls
I've never known England play more than 8 tests in a summer and we don't often do that now. Was just wondering if that was normal for India.
Different seasons.

This ongoing English tour would be considered part of 2023/24 - the season ends shortly because we don't play cricket beyond March - it is too warm. Just the IPL gets played. Ranji is nearly done. It's not a summer sport in India.

The NZ/Bangla tours are "next season" 2024/25 and will happen in Q4. They slot in all away tours for the respective country's home summer. So next season we're playing Australia as well, and there'll be no further home tests.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Different seasons.

This ongoing English tour would be considered part of 2023/24 - the season ends shortly because we don't play cricket beyond March - it is too warm. Just the IPL gets played. Ranji is nearly done. It's not a summer sport in India.

The NZ/Bangla tours are "next season" 2024/25 and will happen in Q4. They slot in all away tours for the respective country's home summer. So next season we're playing Australia as well, and there'll be no further home tests.
Perfect, cheers.

zing

Zingle balls
Saw India's record of 17 consecutive home series wins.. and saw that Australia had 28..

28 is a crazy number.

Wonder when India's will fall. Maybe NZ will trouble us. I think Stokes/England have shown a way.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Saw India's record of 17 consecutive home series wins.. and saw that Australia had 28..

28 is a crazy number.

Wonder when India's will fall. Maybe NZ will trouble us. I think Stokes/England have shown a way.
Likely be full strength for that tour.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

28 is a crazy number.

I can't see it with NZ. But then I never can and they often cause problems for everyone.

That run could continue for a long while yet.

SmallCaine

28 is a crazy number.

To do what? Luck out with injuries, can't really teach that. Nz have an even worse attack than england did and unlike root, williamson has a very poor record in india. No offence to England who have played so well in the series but this is the only game they actually had a chance of actually winning from early on and were infront for big chunk of the game, the others even the one they won was based off of playing against all odds and in Hyderabad they somehow won after conceding a 200 run lead, that is not a sustainable method to win games as england found out in games 2 and 3. Maybe Australia or England trouble us next tour with jadeja and ashwin retired but none in this year have much in the way of troubling us.

KM

28 is a crazy number.

South Africa 100%

They've quality batsman who play spin very well and an excellent spinner in Keshav Maharaj.

zing

Zingle balls
To do what? Luck out with injuries, can't really teach that. Nz have an even worse attack than england did and unlike root, williamson has a very poor record in india. No offence to England who have played so well in the series but this is the only game they actually had a chance of actually winning from early on and were infront for big chunk of the game, the others even the one they won was based off of playing against all odds and in Hyderabad they somehow won after conceding a 200 run lead, that is not a sustainable method to win games as england found out in games 2 and 3. Maybe Australia or England trouble us next tour with jadeja and ashwin retired but none in this year have much in the way of troubling us.
NZ's bowling is far superior to England's in Santner, Ajaz Patel, Ish Sodhi. India are missing players, yes, but it's also true that a number of the young players will be in the side come September because we're in transition.

You can't point at match scenarios where it turned like "they won after conceding a 200 lead" - you can just as easily do the same for India in tests 2 to 4. They won today after being 170 for 7 in the first dig. Coming back from poor positions is a part of the game, they don't take on more significance at the end of an innings.

NZ are a very good side. I don't believe they'll beat us, all I am saying is a good side(possibly stronger than England) stand a chance.

Last edited:

LDUred

If Australia had been in the positions England had had in this game, they would have handled it so much better.

We don't have the killer instinct to win competitive test matches. We play our worst cricket when we're in front.

Credit to India - deserved winners of the series.

Last edited:

KM

If Australia had been in the positions England had had in this game, they would have handled it so much better.

We don't have the killer instinct to win competitive test matches. We play our worst cricket when we're in front.

Australia would have been 100% more ruthless in the last two matches.

Even they played young spinners in Matthew Kuhenamm and Todd Murphy in their last trip.

zing

Zingle balls
Also - I felt like Stokes didn't get it right when he said "conditions were against us yesterday, we couldn't have done anything different" etc.. I think England had good conditions to bat and India just pulled out a top tier bowling performance. England could've maybe done better, but it really was a superlative bowling display yesterday.. the game was won there.

gajender

NZ's bowling is far superior to England's in Santner, Ajaz Patel, Ish Sodhi. India are missing players, yes, but it's also true that a number of the young players will be in the side come September because we're in transition.

You can't point at match scenarios where it turned like "they won after conceding a 200 lead" - you can just as easily do the same for India in tests 2 to 4. They won today after being 170 for 7 in the first dig. Coming back from poor positions is a part of the game, they don't take on more significance at the end of an innings.

NZ are a very good side. I don't believe they'll beat us, all I am saying is a good side(possibly stronger than England) stand a chance.
You seriously can't be comparing two situations there is a reason you won't find that many examples of teams coming back from huge deficits and winning the game .

Recovering in an inning from collapses happens all the time .

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Genuinely think that Australian side is a bit overrated on here.

SmallCaine

You are conflating their limited overs sucess with their test records, Mitch Santner averages 50 in India in his 3 tests with the ball, ish sodhi has a career average of 43, only place ish Sodhi averages below 45 in the entire subcontinent is Pakistan. Pretty sure the 2 english spinners will end this series with better record in India than either Sodhi or Santner ever had.

Also which test were India well behind in other than this one? Being 200-2 is a great position but it's not like they still didn't have to make 200 more runs and it's not a scenario if you find yourself conceding 100 run leads in 3 of the 4 games, it's a pattern and you are always having to battle against the odds.

Nz are a mediocre side with none of the bowling, batting or captaincy that makes England or Australia dangerous in india, Not only have nz never won a test series in India, the last time NZ won a test match in India was 1988.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You are conflating their limited overs sucess with their test records, Mitch Santner averages 50 in India in his 3 tests with the ball, ish sodhi has a career average of 43, only place ish Sodhi averages below 45 in the entire subcontinent is Pakistan. Pretty sure the 2 english spinners will end this series with better record in India than either Sodhi or Santner ever had.

Also which test were India well behind in other than this one? Being 200-2 is a great position but it's not like they still didn't have to make 200 more runs and it's not a scenario if you find yourself conceding 100 run leads in 3 of the 4 games, it's a pattern and you are always having to battle against the odds.

Nz are a mediocre side with none of the bowling, batting or captaincy that makes England or Australia dangerous in india, Not only have nz never won a test series in India, the last time NZ won a test match in India was 1988.
I am generally team Zing but I agree with all of this.

zing

Zingle balls

I'm actually pretty sure that NZ spinners will fare better - maybe make a wager on it when the series is about to start if we're still here.

I think we've found some great talent that's going to be here for the long run and will get better, but at the moment, we're still in transition and NZ will challenge us.

JohnnyKills

Yep it’s just the disappointment of being in dominant and winning positions and not taking advantage of them. Will be useful experience for the spinners,
Yeah, that's how I see it. Think I said at the start of the tour - we should see this as a development opportunity for our spinners, who've performed really well.

Throwing forward to our next tour of India, Crawley, Pope and Brook should all have somewhere between 50 and 100 tests behind them, and the spinners should be properly experienced. India won't have Ashwin, Jadeja, Rohit or Kohli then, so that's our chance. This one came too early.

LDUred

Genuinely think that Australian side is a bit overrated on here.
It is more that England lack the desire to press home their advantage. Under Flower, that didn't happen so much.

Australia would have been 100% more ruthless in the last two matches.

Even they played young spinners in Matthew Kuhenamm and Todd Murphy in their last trip.
I agree. While India found form when it was tight it feels like England have been poor under pressure. It is a shame for neutrals there won't be a decider because it has been a decent series. England have improved a bit and it has been interesting but ultimately not enough.

KM

As with every test, this is really enjoyable.
Like how they know how to be self depreciating for humor. Most of ex-Indian players are egostical twats who come across as if they were the best in the world in their time. Only Manjrekar and Shastri can laugh at themselves.

zing

Zingle balls
Like how they know how to be self depreciating for humor. Most of ex-Indian players are egostical twats who come across as if they were the best in the world in their time. Only Manjrekar and Shastri can laugh at themselves.
The really unlikeable part(and there is a lot to dislike) is their absolute inability to praise the opposition. I generally find the western media generous in their praise(there are two kinds - one writes about the dirty sub continental pitches and the other is effusive). If you pull up the guardian reports over the last few days, they’re very generous. Indian comms struggles with acknowledging good away performance. During the lunch yesterday, Nick Knight made the point of how Stokes really believes he can win and you can see it in his body language after wickets. You couldn’t prise a compliment out of Kumble or the anchor with a crowbar in response to that.

Manjrekar, Shastri are good. I enjoy DK for the most part - he speaks like a proper analyst. Deep das Gupta seems alright. Slim pickings from the rest. For some reason, Manjrekar is widely disliked.. I think it’s because he bucks the trend and criticises our team when he feels like it.

KM

The really unlikeable part(and there is a lot to dislike) is their absolute inability to praise the opposition. I generally find the western media generous in their praise(there are two kinds - one writes about the dirty sub continental pitches and the other is effusive). If you pull up the guardian reports over the last few days, they’re very generous. Indian comms struggles with acknowledging good away performance. During the lunch yesterday, Nick Knight made the point of how Stokes really believes he can win and you can see it in his body language after wickets. You couldn’t prise a compliment out of Kumble or the anchor with a crowbar in response to that.

Manjrekar, Shastri are good. I enjoy DK for the most part - he speaks like a proper analyst. Deep das Gupta seems alright. Slim pickings from the rest. For some reason, Manjrekar is widely disliked.. I think it’s because he bucks the trend and criticises our team when he feels like it.
Tbf I think they've been praising England. Gavaskar in his columns praises them a lot.

https://crictoday.com/cricket/daily...atch-the-current-england-team-sunil-gavaskar/

It's just they lack knowledge of domestic players. Akashdeep was coming on to bowl and Shastri was legit asking Swann on what type of bowler Akashdeep is.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Tbh the commentators this series have been very nice towards stokes and at some points in fact a bit too nice. Overall there’s been very little needle

KM

When Kishan was not selected for the Tests against England, India coach Rahul Dravid said that he hadn't yet made himself available, and that he would have to play some kind of domestic cricket to be eligible for a comeback. ESPNcricinfo understands the team management had got in touch with him during the on-going Test series against England, but Kishan said he was not ready yet. In his absence, Dhruv Jurel debuted and won the Player-of-the-Match award in his second Test.
Wow career ending move by Kishan.

NM

Wow career ending move by Kishan.
Will see more of this as IPL money trumps all else. In some cases it's good (see Vihari coming out against AP as reasons cricketers need to be independent of BCCI) but if BCCI can't control players, then international cricket is dead. We are headed to Football where only the big leagues (and in cricket only the IPL really) matter.

That being said, I would love to see Amit and Jai Shah vs the richest families in India but that ain't going to happen yet. When BJP power wanes, it will be interesting.

KM

Will see more of this as IPL money trumps all else. In some cases it's good (see Vihari coming out against AP as reasons cricketers need to be independent of BCCI) but if BCCI can't control players, then international cricket is dead. We are headed to Football where only the big leagues (and in cricket only the IPL really) matter.

That being said, I would love to see Amit and Jai Shah vs the richest families in India but that ain't going to happen yet. When BJP power wanes, it will be interesting.
Well he and Iyer have been stripped of central contracts so it won't happen.

I'm genuinely surprised at Kishan tbh. He had a chance to be in the XI for test matches and he let it go.

KM

Anderson suffered a quad strain in Ranchi.

zing

Zingle balls
Padikkal debut. Very fine touch player. I think he will play lots of matches for India.

KM

I'm not sure how England haven't lost a wicket so far. Bumrah has been incredible.