England unworried by spin pairing

Slabber

England captain Michael Vaughan is unworried about the prospect of facing a dual-pronged leg-spin attack during the Test series in Pakistan.
Mushtaq Ahmed and Danish Kaneria both play county cricket regularly.

"I'm sure they will put us under a lot of pressure, but it's good to know that we've faced them before," said Vaughan.

"We have a good idea of what they're going to come up with, we've got a lot of footage and a lot of players have played against them."

He added: "It's not going to be the mystery factor that you sometimes get when you face someone like [Sri Lanka's Muttiah] Muralitharan because we've faced them so much in county cricket."

England are still unsure whether Pakistan will prepare spinning wickets, and field two spinners, or give extra help to their pace men.

Mushtaq, 35, has spent the last three seasons with Sussex and has not played a Test for two years.

But he has 185 wickets from 52 Tests and is taking part in a trial match ahead of the Test series, which starts in Multan on 12 October.

Kaneria caused England trouble in tour matches when they last visited Pakistan five years ago and made his debut during that series.

Still only 24 he has spent parts of the last two seasons playing for Essex and is likely to edge Mushtaq out if only one front-line spinner plays.

The tourists' first chance to acclimatise on the field of play comes in a three-day match in Rawalpindi, which begins on Monday.

"This is going to be a challenging series for us playing in different conditions," Vaughan continued.

"The players will have to make some technical changes to do well after their win at home."

"These are new conditions for a lot of our lads and they are excited about trying to do well in Pakistan, who have improved in the last year."

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mushtaq Ahmed is back?
Thats a surprise, havent heard of him for ages. But Kaneria will be the biggest threat, really talented spinner.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Last Updated: Friday, 28 October 2005, 12:58 GMT 13:58 UK

England stars visit quake victims

We hope that others follow our lead

Michael Vaughan
England captain Michael Vaughan says the suffering of children affected by the Pakistan earthquake has shaken him.
Vaughan took some of his team-mates on Friday to the Institute of Medical Science in Islamabad, where more than 1,500 young victims are being treated.

"As a father myself it was very distressing to see the injuries these children have suffered," he said.

"It's something you just hope you would never have to see. There are kids of three weeks in plaster screaming."

More than 55,000 people were killed on 8 October and millions left homeless by the earthquake.

During their visit, Vaughan, Ashley Giles, Matthew Hoggard and Marcus Trescothick were visibly moved by the pain they witnessed.

They are determined to raise awareness about the plight of survivors, with Vaughan admitting he had been in the dark before his visit.

"I didn't realise the extent of the damage. I am not saying that back home this has been forgotten, but it has not been mentioned that often," he explained.

"The kids in this hospital are the lucky ones - so many others have not got to that stage, and I just hope we can raise the profile of what still needs to be done.

"It has opened my eyes to the real scale of the disaster, and they say it is only going to get worse unless there is a lot more funding brought forward."

It is important the plight of those needing blankets and tents is not forgotten

Michael Vaughan

Giles, also a young father like Vaughan and Trescothick, added: "It really pulls on the heart-strings. We all had huge lumps in our throats. You would not be human if you didn't.

"I didn't have any idea about the true scale of things until I arrived in this country.

"The doctors and the aid workers are doing a fantastic job - but they need the tools to do a better job.

"If we can raise awareness of the situation here we are doing the most important job we can."

To that end the England players have agreed to take part in an exhibition golf match in Lahore and will also raise a donation from match fees for the one-dayer in the city next month.

But the skipper says a lot more still needs to be done to maintain the relief effort.

"It is important, with winter approaching, that the plight of those needing blankets and tents in the earthquake zone is not forgotten," Vaughan explained.

"Team England and the England and Wales Cricket Board have already donated significant sums to the Disasters and Emergencies Appeal, and we are taking part in more fundraising events in Pakistan.

"We hope that others follow our lead.

"We are particularly delighted that the ECB will endorse the Save the Children Fund's Children in Emergencies Appeal.

"This appeal will ensure that children continue to receive aid and medical help long after the rest of the world has forgotten the disaster."

Sorry its long, what a great touch by the English...its made my tour.