England v India 2021 Cricket Test Series

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't understand why the Indian team refused to play. Every player tested negative; there's not much else you can do apart from that. Unless you quarantine the entire team every time there is a positive test in the camp, which is something even football isn't doing.
To be fair, it's a different thing to go on field for 5 days or go on field for 90 mins.

Regardless, whatever the circumstances, it's an extremely shit situation. ECB are well within their rights to have this series 2-2.

Although I guess it'll be postponed till next year.

iKnowNothing

Still waiting for the details but didn’t all the Indian players return Covid negative? Then why is the ECB press release saying “..India are unable to field a team.. “

Edit-
Also what happens with the IPL now? Will that be delayed or canceled or played without the Indian players?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Still waiting for the details but didn’t all the Indian players return Covid negative? Then why is the ECB press release saying “..India are unable to field a team.. “

Edit-
Also what happens with the IPL now? Will that be delayed or canceled or played without the Indian players?
I suspect it's because of the IPL that the Indian players want the match off, any positive cases would mean a 10 day quarantine and a delay to them starting the IPL.

kps88

To be fair, it's a different thing to go on field for 5 days or go on field for 90 mins.

Regardless, whatever the circumstances, it's an extremely shit situation. ECB are well within their rights to have this series 2-2.

Although I guess it'll be postponed till next year.
You should go by the guidelines of the country you are in. Current UK guidelines state that close contacts do not need to isolate if they are fully vaccinated. Unless there were more positive tests that we aren't aware of yet.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I suspect it's because of the IPL that the Indian players want the match off, any positive cases would mean a 10 day quarantine and a delay to them starting the IPL.
This.

I'm sad. I haven't been to a test in years and I was given someone's spare ticket for today. Was just about to set off when I heard it had been cancelled.

Cloud7

Well that’s disappointing. Have the day off and was looking forward to some good day 1 action.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very disappointing it’s a cancellation rather than postponement, especially since they returned negative tests.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
You should go by the guidelines of the country you are in. Current UK guidelines state that close contacts do not need to isolate if they are fully vaccinated. Unless there were more positive tests that we aren't aware of yet.
It was not just close contacts at the book launch, though. It was a crowded event with no masks on.

Agent Red

What a shame. Although I think the forecast was pretty bad anyway so would have been a disappointing end to the series regardless.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What a shame. Although I think the forecast was pretty bad anyway so would have been a disappointing end to the series regardless.
Wasn't that bad. Was expecting to lose some overs today and potentially on the fifth day but the other three looked clear.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Very disappointing it’s a cancellation rather than postponement, especially since they returned negative tests.
Pretty much this:
I do not know if it's just the Indians, but a simple explanation in case of no more positive cases is that there are certain players who would rather miss the last match of this series than miss the IPL. And that's a disappointing explanation.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I read that this cancellation leaves the ECB £30m out of pocket, and they are currently in negotiations with the BCCI. Could this be why the test hasn't been declared as forfeit yet? India will be declared series winners if the BCCI agrees to cover some of the lost revenue?

kps88

It was not just close contacts at the book launch, though. It was a crowded event with no masks on.
Well they've all been tested multiple times since that event. And even played part of the last test after Shastri's positive test so I'm struggling to understand what's changed.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
So the Indian players want to safeguard themselves to not jeopardise the IPL. Players came back negative so if they refuse to play then there can’t be any complaints about it being 2-2. Series wins in England don’t come about often and India have a chance to add to that historic win in Australia with a test series win in England, further cementing their legacy as one the best ever Indian test teams. Kohli and Shastri bang on about test cricket being the pinnacle, turns out the IPL is more important.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Well if you needed more proof of where the loyalty of cricketers lay when it comes to t20 versus test cricket.

The ECB need to demand a forfeit rather than a draw. There's no way a team should be able to get away with not wanting to play if there isn't even a single player who has returned with a positive test.

TheGame

I read that this cancellation leaves the ECB £30m out of pocket, and they are currently in negotiations with the BCCI. Could this be why the test hasn't been declared as forfeit yet? India will be declared series winners if the BCCI agrees to cover some of the lost revenue?
I don't think the last part is correct. If they are unable to fulfil a fixture, it's a forfeit I imagine no matter what compensation is offered.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Well they've all been tested multiple times since that event. And even played part of the last test after Shastri's positive test so I'm struggling to understand what's changed.
It's been a week since the first launch, so you're right in the sense there will be no direct Covid cases. But it is possible that not all players distanced themselves from Shastri and Co after they tested positive, and the camp internally knows it.

zing

Zingle balls
So the Indian players want to safeguard themselves to not jeopardise the IPL. Players came back negative so if they refuse to play then there can’t be any complaints about it being 2-2. Series wins in England don’t come about often and India have a chance to add to that historic win in Australia with a test series win in England, further cementing their legacy as one the best ever Indian test teams. Kohli and Shastri bang on about test cricket being the pinnacle, turns out the IPL is more important.
Status and money are two different things. A test series win has enormous privilege, but privilege doesn’t add to your bank account. The opportunity cost of missing the ipl is enormous for these guys.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Another positive test amongst the staff on Thursday. That could mean players testing positive later in the test - and the game having to be abandoned.

Though actually I go along with the guess that the IPL is too close on the horizon and people are nervous.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Well if you needed more proof of where the loyalty of cricketers lay when it comes to t20 versus test cricket.

The ECB need to demand a forfeit rather than a draw. There's no way a team should be able to get away with not wanting to play if there isn't even a single player who has returned with a positive test.
Find it hard to disagree with this sentiment.

Frosty

I don't think the last part is correct. If they are unable to fulfil a fixture, it's a forfeit I imagine no matter what compensation is offered.
I would agree with you, but this is cricket.

It would be helpful for the ICC to clarify matters. Otherwise England's tactic for the Ashes will be to go 1-0 up and then attend super spreader events to get the rest of the series cancelled.

TheGame

It would be helpful for the ICC to clarify matters. Otherwise England's tactic for the Ashes will be to go 1-0 up and then attend super spreader events to get the rest of the series cancelled.
More details will emerge but on the last point if England did that, then they should forfeit any fixture they can't or won't fulfil.

Agent Red

Wasn't that bad. Was expecting to lose some overs today and potentially on the fifth day but the other three looked clear.
Forecast I’m looking at quite a bit worse than that. Only 2-3 hours play today and only Saturday completely clear. Plus the light goes much earlier at this time of year. Obviously could be wrong and I wish they’d played anyway but when I looked yesterday I thought ah well that’s a nailed draw.

ECB should definitely push for this to be a forfeit given it’s quite clearly been made with IPL in mind.

KM

I suspect that BCCI will play a test match in England next year when they're going there for the ODI Series.

Also, it was obvious that IPL would be spoken about but I should mention that England pulled out from a series against South Africa six months ago, so there's definetely precedence there.

KM

That'd mean that England will have broken the Aussie govt rules and therefore should forfeit. No rules were broken by Shastri etc although it was quite stupid of them.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I suspect that BCCI will play a test match in England next year when they're going there for the ODI Series.

Also, it was obvious that IPL would be spoken about but I should mention that England pulled out from a series against South Africa six months ago, so there's definetely precedence there.
There were players who tested positive in the England/SA series, though.

Frosty

That'd mean that England will have broken the Aussie govt rules and therefore should forfeit. No rules were broken by Shastri etc although it was quite stupid of them.
I just read that the World Test championship rules allow a Test to be abandoned due to COVID, so I suspect this will end 2-1. The ICC are liaising with the match referee about the outcome.

My point was to state that clear guidance here is needed, because if you get teams pulling out of a match without it being forfeit, hat sets a bad precedent which is open for manipulation.

Hopefully the ICC will clear things up.

kps88

Another positive test amongst the staff on Thursday. That could mean players testing positive later in the test - and the game having to be abandoned.
That's true. But that was always a risk in an opened up UK without a strict bio bubble. All you can do is keep testing and play on if they come back negative. I just feel like it would need to be something more for them to have given up the chance to win the series.

Would be very disappointed if it was just IPL related.

KM

I just read that the World Test championship rules allow a Test to be abandoned due to COVID, so I suspect this will end 2-1. The ICC are liaising with the match referee about the outcome.

My point was to state that clear guidance here is needed, because if you get teams pulling out of a match without it being forfeit, hat sets a bad precedent which is open for manipulation.

Hopefully the ICC will clear things up.
I agree although the rule you refer to I think suggests that teams pulling out have to commit to complete their series. I think India will commit to completing the series next year. That's what should happen or if they can't commit to complete the series, then they should forfeit and series should end 2-2.

It's as simple as that.

KM

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Really not fussed if it finishes, 2-1, 2-2 or 8-0 to India.

Just really dissapointed to not see some cricket and for those who had tickets

KM

I had a free weekend, and selfishly with Stokes and Archer back, I don't think we'll have as good as a chance to beat England in sometime in the future.

KM

Decent argument from DK, do have a listen.