England v India 2021 Cricket Test Series

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Thought England missed their opportunities in all 4 innings really, very poor to continually make so many mistakes after so many times playing some really good cricket to get themselves in position. India made their share of mistakes too but no matter how much they feck up we can just do it better.

The whole Bairstow/Moeen/Buttler thing has to stop at some point surely, it's a cruel joke at this point. Ok Moeen is brilliant at getting Kohli out but Root doesn't trust him to hold down an end, his fielding was largely garbage and he averages, what, 15 in the series with the bat? Fantastic talent but just doesn't have the concentration for 5 days of cricket. For me we either need to bite the bullet and pick Parkinson since he's the best non-Rashid shaped spinner in England, or we need to accept we only have part time spinners and give Livingstone a go and hope he can prove himself capable at test level with the bat. At Old Trafford you could even pick both.

I'd go with Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Bohannon/Hain/Duckett, Pope, Livingstone, Woakes, Robinson, Parkinson, Anderson. Get after them with a quality bowling attack and give some batsmen a chance to impress. Pope can keep, he won't be much worse than Buttler.
Good post. This decision to give all the power to Silverwood is making less & less sense. Root is a great guy but he seems very soft and so there is no one to make any tough decisions. England just make so many basic cricket errors and there seems to be a real lack of planning around the team. The coaching is absolutely substandard at this point . There were so many brainfades in this match that it’s hard to believe that it’s ab international team .
Moeen wasn’t part of the original squad and then he gets drafted in and three matches later he is vice captain which is just a case of being too nice. Mo is a fantastic guy and Bairstow/Jos are great team players but you have to make decisions based on what’s best for the team and not just be nice to everyone.

Overall people will say that the games have been close & England have a lot of injuries which is fair enough but the team just is a bit all over the place and can do so much better

TheGame

Thought England missed their opportunities in all 4 innings really, very poor to continually make so many mistakes after so many times playing some really good cricket to get themselves in position. India made their share of mistakes too but no matter how much they feck up we can just do it better.

The whole Bairstow/Moeen/Buttler thing has to stop at some point surely, it's a cruel joke at this point. Ok Moeen is brilliant at getting Kohli out but Root doesn't trust him to hold down an end, his fielding was largely garbage and he averages, what, 15 in the series with the bat? Fantastic talent but just doesn't have the concentration for 5 days of cricket. For me we either need to bite the bullet and pick Parkinson since he's the best non-Rashid shaped spinner in England, or we need to accept we only have part time spinners and give Livingstone a go and hope he can prove himself capable at test level with the bat. At Old Trafford you could even pick both.

I'd go with Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Bohannon/Hain/Duckett, Pope, Livingstone, Woakes, Robinson, Parkinson, Anderson. Get after them with a quality bowling attack and give some batsmen a chance to impress. Pope can keep, he won't be much worse than Buttler.
We do have good spinners like Parkinson; Leach etc but we don’t seem to play them at home and prefer to play Ali. Can only see Butter and Wood as changes for the last test but hopefully they can try another batsmen.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

More or less agree with all this apart from the part you say Moeens fielding was garbage, how can you say that when he took six catches in the match?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If Kohli pulls of a test series win in England is he a better test captain than Dhoni?
Wait what? He's three levels above Dhoni as a test captain already.

Dhoni was pretty shit as a test captain.

KM

Hopefully Vihari is given a go and Rahane is dropped.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Bumrah fastest Indian to 100 Test wickets. And he's just 27. If he can keep himself fit despite that unconventional runup, he can rack up the numbers.

Still can't believe that searing, reverse swinging yorker didn't get Root. That lunch spell was something else.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Bumrah fastest Indian to 100 Test wickets. And he's just 27. If he can keep himself fit despite that unconventional runup, he can rack up the numbers.

Still can't believe that searing, reverse swinging yorker didn't get Root. That lunch spell was something else.
I think he will struggle to have a long career, only because his action puts significant stress on his shoulder (it’s how he generates all his pace rather than through momentum with the run up). I could be wrong though. I hope he does play long because he was class yesterday.

KM

I think he will struggle to have a long career, only because his action puts significant stress on his shoulder (it’s how he generates all his pace rather than through momentum with the run up). I could be wrong though. I hope he does play long because he was class yesterday.
India manages his health brilliantly, routinely resting him in home matches and pointless ODI series.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I think record is for fast bowlers only, remember Ashwin reached that milestone much quicker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
More or less agree with all this apart from the part you say Moeens fielding was garbage, how can you say that when he took six catches in the match?
Did you watch that missed run out? It was embarrassing. I'd have been annoyed at a team mate who did that when I was 11, this guy is England's vice captain FFS.

Trequarista10

We do have good spinners like Parkinson; Leach etc but we don’t seem to play them at home and prefer to play Ali. Can only see Butter and Wood as changes for the last test but hopefully they can try another batsmen.
Bess is another option. Hes very young and he's got a good attitude, has done fairly well at Test level already, even if he isn't as technically good as Leach or Parkinson. He's also been batting at 6 for Yorkshire, so long-medium term could be a natural replacement for Ali.

TheGame

Bess is another option. Hes very young and he's got a good attitude, has done fairly well at Test level already, even if he isn't as technically good as Leach or Parkinson. He's also been batting at 6 for Yorkshire, so long-medium term could be a natural replacement for Ali.
Agree, he was playing second fiddle to Leach at Somerset but has really developed himself at Yorkshire.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Leach and Jos added to the squad.

Same old, same old then. Another summer with no Parkinson, frustrating.

zing

Zingle balls
Looks like the Manchester test will be rained out? Google says rain every day.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks like the Manchester test will be rained out? Google says rain every day.
The forecast will change as it’s constantly does in the north west everyday. Best rechecking it on Thursday as I expect it to be different. Not saying it won’t rain but wouldn’t take too much notice of it 3 days before.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeh we'll get interruptions tomorrow but the rest of the outlook looks like we'll get plenty of play in.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just hope the weather Is better. I’m about 20 mins outside of Manchester and we have had some bad thunder and lighting and heavy downpours tonight.

On another note don’t understand the role of Jack Leach especially in this series, reports saying Mooen will be the frontline spinner for tommorow. Should also be Bairstow out for Buttler.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Excellent post, agree with most what’s written. It’s a bit of mystery why Livingston hasn’t had a chance in test match cricket for his batting alone. Not only is he a talented big hitting batsman, his technique is actually pretty decent and defensively he looks like he might have the game for test cricket.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Excellent post, agree with most what’s written. It’s a bit of mystery why Livingston hasn’t had a chance in test match cricket for his batting alone. Not only is he a talented big hitting batsman, his technique is actually pretty decent and defensively he looks like he might have the game for test cricket.
He is in horrible red ball form.

KM

First day to be postponed it seems like.

Edit: ECB confirms test to be postponed for two days.

KM

Seems the fifth test match has been called off, but let's see.

KM

How is that, again?
Because India forfeited the match. It was reported yesterday that ECB wanted India to forfeit the match if they didn't wanted to play due to COVID. It's a shit situation but it is what it is.

KM

Apparently it's not a forfeit, what the feck is happening. Let's see.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Because India forfeited the match. It was reported yesterday that ECB wanted India to forfeit the match if they didn't wanted to play due to COVID. It's a shit situation but it is what it is.
We should have been 3-1 up going into the last test, instead we end up with a draw for the history books. Whoever breached the bubble and kickstarted this outbreak in the Indian camp has massively let down one of the greatest Indian Test sides.

Edit: I'll hold on to this comment till we know it's a forfeit.

Second Edit: Just found out that the people responsible for the breach were probably the head coach, captain, and most of the first team. The event in question was a book launch in London for Ravi Shastri's 'The Players in My Life'. The forfeit is well deserved, in that case. England shouldn't be denied the chance to level the series because India's head coach wanted to leverage his team's performances to commercialize his book. No masks on at the event, either, such disregard for the bio-bubble. It should be 2-2.

Last edited:

KM

We should have been 3-1 up going into the last test, instead we end up with a draw for the history books. Whoever breached the bubble and kickstarted this outbreak in the Indian camp has massively let down one of the greatest Indian Test sides.

There's been no bubble breach though. The rules in UK are relaxed. Seems to be case of a bad luck.

Even the players families are allowed to stay with them.

TheGame

BBC News are reporting it's a forfeit.

kps88

I don't understand why the Indian team refused to play. Every player tested negative; there's not much else you can do apart from that. Unless you quarantine the entire team every time there is a positive test in the camp, which is something even football isn't doing.