England vs USA

Dyslexic Untied

How did Beckham do today? I didn`t see the match.

Was at Ullevaal to see Norway-Uruguay though. If anyone was wondering; Forlan is still quite shit.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
That was shite.
Same old England, nowt new.
Rooney and Gerrard played well.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
How did Beckham do today? I didn`t see the match.
His usual high standard from set pieces and such but for me, Bentley probably has to start when it is the real thing due in no small part to what he will offer the team in open play. JMO, dont' know what others think about it.

That was shite.
Same old England, nowt new.
Rooney and Gerrard played well.
If it had been same old England i am certain thta Heathrwo Air Traffic control would have been far busier. :)

Ivor Ballokov

Collison and Bellamy

Should have Collins and Gabbidon back soon too

Lovely, better than watching England
Bellamy got about 25 minutes and looked lively, really hope his injuries are behind him.

Only saw the second half so didn't see much of collison but i've heard great things about him.

It was a truly dire game, neither side could string two passes together. At least under Mark Hughes we tried to play decent football but now it's agonizing, makes England look like Brazil.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
Bellamy got about 25 minutes and looked lively, really hope his injuries are behind him.

Only saw the second half so didn't see much of collison but i've heard great things about him.

It was a truly dire game, neither side could string two passes together. At least under Mark Hughes we tried to play decent football but now it's agonizing, makes England look like Brazil.
Wasn't Bellamy playing on the right wing? He has played a few games there for us and looks pretty good there. I'm hoping he comes back fully fit for pre season myself, one of Wales' best players though

I missed most of Collison too i'll have to catch some highlights of him

That young city striker seems pretty good, I didn't think he would make the step up quite yet but I suppose he was given his chance due to injuries.

Nice to see Fletcher get the arm band I always admired him whilst he was here but behind the scene going on's meant he had to leave

I think Hennesey is going to be a quality keeper too.

One things for sure exciting times ahead for the Welsh FA, in 5 years time you can have a better squad than the England squad.

lao

Sorry have you seen the line you posted

When was the last time Foster played?

When was the last time Neville stared a game? Will he even still be playing football come 2010

When was the last time Rooney scored for England playing up front on his own?

What has Lennon ever done?

All you have done is picked the 6 English Manchester United players and just put random players around them

Get over yourself
That's the best lineup when everyone's fit. Random? Haha. I think you'll find Defoe and Bentley more random.

B Cantona

Desperate
Bentley probably has to start when it is the real thing)
What has Bentley ever done in an England shirt that demands he has to start? Thought he looked particularly poor tonight. I think its the wrong step to select someone who struggles to take a man on, and doesn't have the distribution from crosses and set pieces as Beckham. What is the point of picking Agbonlahor, or in the past Young, not to give them any game time? What does playing Glen Johnson achieve? Only in the event of Neville, Richards, Brown and Hargreaves out injured would he even be considered to get a game

I thought there were some promising signs. Notably that when Lampard went off, the midfield actually started to play the ball through the Americans with a bit of invention and movement. But there are still many decisions that leave me with big questions

And how the hell did anyone ever look at Adu and think he good be the great American hope?!?! He reminded me of that bloke Souness played off the word of the George Weah impersonator...

Ivor Ballokov

Wasn't Bellamy playing on the right wing? He has played a few games there for us and looks pretty good there. I'm hoping he comes back fully fit for pre season myself, one of Wales' best players though

I missed most of Collison too i'll have to catch some highlights of him

That young city striker seems pretty good, I didn't think he would make the step up quite yet but I suppose he was given his chance due to injuries.

Nice to see Fletcher get the arm band I always admired him whilst he was here but behind the scene going on's meant he had to leave

I think Hennesey is going to be a quality keeper too.

One things for sure exciting times ahead for the Welsh FA, in 5 years time you can have a better squad than the England squad.
Well he generally just plays in the middle and then peels away into the channels whenever we have the ball, his intelligent runs and pace make him by far our best outlet and he got in behind them a few times and was unlucky not to set up Vokes for Wales second.

I fall in and out of love with Fletch almost every game but he deserved the captains armband tonight and it was unfortunate he got stretchered off in the first half, they reckon it is ankle ligaments which isn't good news.

I've not seen much of Evans but they kept putting messages and although my Welsh isn't good at all they all seemed positive about him. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next year as he has had a very good season in the championship so whether he can progress from there will be one to watch.

Yeah we have a lot of youngsters coming into the side, the bbc website seems to be calling them Toshack's tots which is awful but i'm hoping for good things and if you lot can stop massacring Gabbs, Collins and Bellamy we can add a bit of experience into the side along with Koumas and Simon Davies we have the makings of a decent team.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
That's the best lineup when everyone's fit. Random? Haha. I think you'll find Defoe and Bentley more random.
Bollocks is it

All Foster has managed is a ridicolous amount of loan spells the highlight of which was being relegated. If you want a young keeper over experience Carson is your man.

Neville isn't going to be able to cut it against teams like Brazil in the 2010 WC so move on from him. Both Brown and Johnson are much better options depending on what your looking for. Johnson is better at getting forward, Brown more dependable.

I agree with the rest of the defence (Ferdinand, Terry & Cole)

As for your midfield and forwards you've gone all McClaren don't worry it's common as him and Sven have had such a big effect on English football.

Everyone with a brain knows Rooney is the best English striker, you agreee with that right? Anyway his best place is as a second striker playing behind a traditional CF. That just leaves who to pair him with. A Johnson, Defoe, Crouch etc are shit leaving Owen or the only Shearer type player about Ashton. Seeing as Englands best striker partners were the SAS perhaps it would be a good idea to model the system on that. Ashton and Rooney are perfect for it. If you want your standarad 4-4-2 then it has to be Owen and Rooney

As for your midfield well what can I say

We're going to be lacking pace come 2010 so get Young on the right wing, Theo Walcott if he starts getting games. That way we have a very pacy player on the right who if required can be moved up front.

Then in CM we can have Gerrard and Carrick, just leaving the left wing which has to be Joe Cole

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
Well he generally just plays in the middle and then peels away into the channels whenever we have the ball, his intelligent runs and pace make him by far our best outlet and he got in behind them a few times and was unlucky not to set up Vokes for Wales second.

I fall in and out of love with Fletch almost every game but he deserved the captains armband tonight and it was unfortunate he got stretchered off in the first half, they reckon it is ankle ligaments which isn't good news.

I've not seen much of Evans but they kept putting messages and although my Welsh isn't good at all they all seemed positive about him. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next year as he has had a very good season in the championship so whether he can progress from there will be one to watch.

Yeah we have a lot of youngsters coming into the side, the bbc website seems to be calling them Toshack's tots which is awful but i'm hoping for good things and if you lot can stop massacring Gabbs, Collins and Bellamy we can add a bit of experience into the side along with Koumas and Simon Davies we have the makings of a decent team.
I didn't realsie Fletcher was injured today, hopefully not too serious. I think he'll be moving on from Palace this Summer. Stoke and Hull could do a lot worse than him and he wont set them back more than 1.5 million

Evans is very highly rated but same with you I haven't seen much of him.

We will try to keeps Gabbs and Ginge injury free for you but I think one or both of them will be leaving this season. Ferdinand and Upson seems our first choice defence and Tomkins is more than capable of deputising. Same with Fletcher Hull and Stoke can do a lot worse than those two. It will be good to see them stay together though and it's good for both them and Wales. When you can get them back into defence with Bale too I can't see you having too many problems.

Ramsey is tipped for the big time too, Toshack seems to have finally found a team he will stay at for long time and i'm sure a lot of Welsh fans have now changed their mind about him being a bad choice for manager.

Ivor Ballokov

I didn't realsie Fletcher was injured today, hopefully not too serious. I think he'll be moving on from Palace this Summer. Stoke and Hull could do a lot worse than him and he wont set them back more than 1.5 million

Evans is very highly rated but same with you I haven't seen much of him.

We will try to keeps Gabbs and Ginge injury free for you but I think one or both of them will be leaving this season. Ferdinand and Upson seems our first choice defence and Tomkins is more than capable of deputising. Same with Fletcher Hull and Stoke can do a lot worse than those two. It will be good to see them stay together though and it's good for both them and Wales. When you can get them back into defence with Bale too I can't see you having too many problems.

Ramsey is tipped for the big time too, Toshack seems to have finally found a team he will stay at for long time and i'm sure a lot of Welsh fans have now changed their mind about him being a bad choice for manager.
I've always rated gabbs as the best, it's a pity that he's never completely fulfilled his early promise and is still prone to errors but when he is on his game he is head and shoulders our best defender. Keep him fit and he would be a great signing for one of the clubs coming up.

Ramsey will hopefully be signed on as a united player next year, he has all the attributes that he needs to be a top quality player and hopefully he won't hang around too long in the championship like Joe Ledley has. Incidentally I still think Ledley is quality and could easily make the step up to the premiership and there is Chris Gunter who was very solid again and will be looking to break into the spurs side next year.

I'm still not fully convinced by Toshack, we had a poor start to qualifying last time around and that really ended any hopes we had early doors but results seem to be going in the right direction now but we need to get the results when they count. I'm growing to appreciate him but he makes it difficult when he is such a complete and utter knob.

davisjw

I think our best bet for the national side would be starting Beckham because quite frankly probably safe to say half the goals in the last few matches have come from his assists.. He's still the best at the dead ball both in assists and in scoring and playing in the MLS does nothing to stop that.

Soooo... playing Hargreaves as right back would compensate Beckham's seemingly inability to play up and down the flanks as often as we'd like. He could stay up a tad offering his crosses to Gerrard, Rooney and Ashont (need a striker Rooney can work off, someone who can bring the ball down and distribute). Hargreaves can run all day and his attacking flair is very very solid. Brown does "enough" at right back but "enough" isn't "enough" at the national level especially when England can be all over the place at times unlike United.

So I'd like to see in Trinidad....

------------Hart--------------
Hargreaves-Rio(c)-Terry---Cole
-------------Carrick------------
Beckham--------------Young(let's try a proper attacking/ creative winger)
------------Gerrard----------
-----------------Rooney----
---------Ashton--------------

Hart deserves a chance and James will likely not be around for the World Cup.
My back line offers strength down the middle while speed and quick attack on the sides.

Carrick in the middle offers further security and his distribution of the ball under pressure has been very good. Can pass long balls and short quite easily, good work rate and would unite the team with his experience with Rio and Hargreaves behind him and Rooney upfront. England tends to be missing this kind of player, his long passes and Beckham's would mean our opponents would really need to be on their toes because Rooney and Ashton would be running back and forth waiting for the perfect pass.

One of my wingers can distribute the ball perfectly anywhere on the field, the other is a quick dribbler who's creative with the ball at times and offers a threat down the side while giving Beckham further options. Him and Cole I think would do great with one twos and Cole could offer the left hand crosses Young would have trouble with while Young could move to the middle for the simple through ball or on the ground simple pass in the middle (kind of a poor man's Evra/ Ronaldo).

Gerrard offers creativity with his distribution, a powerful shot outside the 18 and a solid work rate. He's also good at defense, runs around a bit and helps keep the middle together.

Rooney speaks for himself with his creativity, great shot, able to bring in players and has the work rate to allow him and Gerrard to switch a bit. He'd play off my striker.

Ashton is able to hold the ball and keep defenders away while still giving it off to the runner (Rooney/ Gerrard/ Young). He can also score anywhere in the 18 (or has been able to) and seems to be solid at getting a foot on the ball in the 18. Also has a very solid work rate and could even switch with Rooney for a bit. Would also be good to see if him and Rooney really would work together as we have been linked with him.

Subs:
1) James- proven professional, can come on during a game if need be (prone to errors..)
2) Brown- can play CB and RB
3) Bentley- offers youth off the bench for Beckham when he gets tired, will develop into a very solid player
4) Barry- proven central midfielder, has an eye for defense and a very good through ball. his experience and leadership at Villa would offer stability during the last minutes of play
5) Theo- we'd need someone fast as balls coming off the bench to break our opponents tired backs. he can play on the wing and as a striker so offers versatility.
6) Crouch- his height and ability to bring the ball down speaks for itself. He also has a knack for scoring in the international scene.
7) Agbonlahor- I think he's really one for the future. Has looked very good playing for Villa, works well with Young. Offers something different then Crouch when we're down or tied. Need to build for the future while maintaining the present. Would also tie up the attacking force of Young, Barry and himself. (I like choosing players from the same team as they know each other and wouldn't "need to get used to each other")

Waiting for the FA to call me up to act as Manager. I'm young but I'll do it for my country!

No Fat Frank and no Joe Whinney Cole, sadly Terry seems to do alright with Rio by his side to compensate for his lack of natural skill. Terry does well in defense and has a head for goals... He wont be taking any PKs that'd go to Ashton, Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham and Rio.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
Sounds good

But Carrick isn't in the squad, all Chelsea and Man United players barring Brown and Ferdinand (I believe it's Brown Ferdinand is definetely one of the 2 staying) are going to be sent home

I would have Crouch on the bench though merely to wind down a game at the end, whenever he is bought on the game seems to come to an immeadiate halt and were left watching the long ball game

Would be interesting to see Agbonlahor get 20 or so minutes against T&T

I also think that Johnson should play at RB over Hargreaves, it's his natural position and he's very good going forward which will probably come in handy on Sunday.

surf

Well, the "playmaker" made a shitload of bad passes tonight. He looked like a player who had just won the CL and didn't give a shit
We all agree that the England team lacks creativity, but they are solid and powerful. That was always going to be good enough against the opposition tonight.

AlwaysRedwood

We all agree that the England team lacks creativity, but they are solid and powerful. That was always going to be good enough against the opposition tonight.
Okay. But you're trying to win a World Cup or something, right? You need more.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Okay. But you're trying to win a World Cup or something, right? You need more.
Rooney and Gerrard are good enough, they have that extra cutting edge.

We have a decent solid base with two of Carrick/Hargreaves/Barry and a strong back four.

We just need two more attacking players. A pacey winger (there are a few young lads with potential, like Lennon, Young, Walcott, Bentley, who I would like to see get more of a chance) and upfront we could do with a goalscorer. If Owen kept himself fit then he'd still do the business. I'm not convinced by any of our other options though.

Annoying thing was that we played the likes of Crouch, J.Cole, Becks and Lampard in this pointless friendly. We know what to expect from these players, and we know that it's not really enough. The game should have been used to try out some new blood. I'm very disappointed in Capello at the moment.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
rooney was poor as usual. a top player shouldnt need another player to be good (ie trad CF)

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
We just need two more attacking players. A pacey winger (there are a few young lads with potential, like Lennon, Young, Walcott, Bentley, who I would like to see get more of a chance) and upfront we could do with a goalscorer. If Owen kept himself fit then he'd still do the business. I'm not convinced by any of our other options though.

Annoying thing was that we played the likes of Crouch, J.Cole, Becks and Lampard in this pointless friendly. We know what to expect from these players, and we know that it's not really enough. The game should have been used to try out some new blood. I'm very disappointed in Capello at the moment.
Agreed with most of that.

It's time to thank Becks and move on with a younger player. Beckham just can't beat a defender with pace, so he either passes it inside or lumps it upfield.

Capello should be building for the future, not hanging on to the past.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Well, the "playmaker" made a shitload of bad passes tonight. He looked like a player who had just won the CL and didn't give a shit
And who has been taking painkilling injections in order to play, and will now proceed directly to hospital for hernia surgery. But then that's always been Rooney's problem - doesn't want it enough.

Sell.

Bearded but no genius

England's best XI are numbers 1-11, as they started today.

Use Teeter Troush as a 2nd half sub to climb all over tired defenders.

It might be wise to keep the ball on the ground though. Once England revert to their 'hoof it forward and hope for the best' tactics they're fecked with Defoe as England's first dwarf international.

3Sixty

The most important thing for me from that match is it showed Bently still isn't half the player Beckham is.

Would like to see Theo, Young and Gabby against T&T.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
A goal from a set piece involving Beckham whilst Gerrard and Rooney showed their class.

Typical really but time is still on his side.