England's best XI

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sterling, Rashford and Grealish all preferring left sided attacker is one issue to sort out.
Presumably Sancho starts on the right, so dealing with the three above is critical.

simplyared

............................Pickford
TAA.... ......Coady...........Maguire.........Chilwell
.................Rice.......................Foden
...........................Grealish
Greenwood...........Kane.................Rashford

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
If we're going 3 at the back...

First choice:
Kane--Sterling

Grealish-----Foden

Henderson
Chilwell-------------------------------TAA

Shaw--Maguire--James

Pope
Second choice:
Rashford--DCL

Maddison-----Mount

Phillips
Saka-------------------------------Trippier

Mings--Coady--Walker

Henderson
I've got a few names in there that aren't current regulars, but I think will suit the system. In particular, it would be immense to have a LCB and RCB who can receive the ball under pressure and carry it forward to begin transitions. You'd also effectively have two wingbacks on each flank, which would overcome the usual problem of lacking width with the system.

I'm aware that it means leaving the like of Sancho and Greenwood out, though. I'm just not sure we can get away with a back 4 otherwise. I'm prioritising team dynamics over star power.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Gomez and Maguire should be nowhere the first 11.

Classical Mechanic

Sterling, Rashford and Grealish all preferring left sided attacker is one issue to sort out.
Presumably Sancho starts on the right, so dealing with the three above is critical.
Sterling starts on the right for England a lot. I think the right side is Sterling - Mount - Sancho for Southgate at the moment.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Personally would have Rashford over Sancho, Winks over Rice or Phillips but this is a toss-up, Pope and Dean Henderson over Pickford, Coady over Gomez or Dier.

-----------------------------------------Pope-------------------------------------------
----------Walker-----------------Coady-------------Maguire------------------
A-Arnold-----------Winks------------J.Henderson--------------Chilwell
------Sterling--------------------Kane---------------Rashford----------------

I realise Winks is a surprise choice but he always seems to look good for England and he can pass.

Second XI something like:

--------------------------------D. Henderson----------------------------
James-----------Gomez----------------Mings--------------Saka
------------------------Rice--------------Phillips-------------------------
Sancho------------------------Foden-----------------------Grealish
-----------------------------Calvert-Lewin--------------------------------

Greenwood could come into the picture with a bit more form. Mount would be in the picture too but prefer Foden.

TheGame

--------------Henderson---------------
TAA-Maguire-Gomez-Chilwell
-----------Rice--Henderson----------
Sterling----Grealish----Rashford
-------------------Kane--------------------

Good balance in midfield with Grealish being the main creative outlet. Fullbacks can provide the width allowing Sterling and Rashford to play narrow and closer to goal.
Honestly this England team should be playing much better football than they've been showing lately.
They have excellent depth too with the likes of DCL, James, Keane, Sancho, Mount....
Agree with this with the exception of the GK position, really should be someone playing regularly for their club, if its Henderson then so be it, if not, then someone else. There is even the option to play Foden instead of Henderson against weaker teams. May even be Sancho for Rashford in certain games depending on form.

GlasgowCeltic

Mediocre defenders, midfielders who just run around, attackers who all want to play left wing, hopeless or unproven goalkeepers, and Kane. Can half understand why he sets them up so negatively.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Henderson

TAA
Maguire
Gomez
Chilwell

Henderson
Rice
Grealish

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

christian bennett

Pope

Bissaka(Trent Vs defensive/lesser teams)
Maguire
Coady
Chilwell

Henderson
Foden
Grealish

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
If the tournament starts tomorrow and all players are fit then this please....

Starting XI:--------------------------Pope

Alexander-Arnold--------Gomez------------Maguire---------------Chilwell

---------------------------------------------Rice
------------------------Foden-------------------------------Mount

-----Sterling---------------------------Kane------------------------------Grealish

Bench: Pickford, D.Henderson, James, Coady, Mings, J.Henderson, Maddison, Saka, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood & Calvert-Lewin

My slogan is "ATTACK" because we have so many amazing attacking players and no world-class centre-backs anymore like Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell or Carragher for many clean-sheets.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
1st
Pope
TAA Gomez Maguire Chilwell
Maddison Henderson Grealish
Sterling Kane Rashford​
2nd
Henderson
James Tarkowski Coady Shaw
Phillips Rice
Greenwood Foden Sancho
DCL

dal

———————————Pope
Alexander-Arnold Gomez Maguire Chilwell
————————Henderson Rice
———-Sterling ——Grealish ——Rashford
———————————Kane

I actually think it picks itself.

Foden, DCL, Mount, Sancho, Greenwood, Dier (DF option), Phillips all making the plane.

Drop this bullshit 5-3-2. 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3. Go for it, we won’t win anything anyway. Give the fans entertainment.

dal

1st
Pope
TAA Gomez Maguire Chilwell
Maddison Henderson Grealish
Sterling Kane Rashford​
2nd
Henderson
James Tarkowski Coady Shaw
Phillips Rice
Greenwood Foden Sancho
DCL
This Also works too, is Maddison playing well, I haven’t been keeping up with it tbh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This Also works too, is Maddison playing well, I haven’t been keeping up with it tbh.
Just getting back from a big injury but he's on par with Grealish IMO, more a creative passers than a dribbler but with the right set up could work? Maybe too attacking though. As always, England don't have a deep lying playmaker of a high enough standard really. Phillips would be a decent shout to partner Henderson behind Grealish, but not sure if he's good enough.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Assuming we stick to 343 i'll go for this in the Euro's.
Henderson (if he gets first team club football on time, Pope and Pickford back up's)

James (Walker)
Maguire (Coady)
Gomez (Tomori as back up if he gets regular club football on time, if not Mings)

Trent (Lamptey)
Rice, Mount or Foden (depending on form/opponent)
Henderson
Chilwell or Saka (depending on form/fitness, always sub the one that doesn't start on)

Sterling (Sancho)
Grealish or Rashford (depending on who's in better form)

Kane (can take your pick for back up, there's DCL, Ings, Vardy and Abraham who are all only ever a hotstreak away from winning that place).

croadyman

Anyone picking Pickford is insane. He’s a brain fart away from going out of a tournament.

He shouldn’t be in the squad.
Not many are looking at the lineups,does make you wonder what it will take for Southgate to see Dier/Pickford aren't first choice though. Personally think it's never a good thing when a manager has his favourites

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not many are looking at the lineups,does make you wonder what it will take for Southgate to see Dier/Pickford aren't first choice though.
The Pickford one you can somewhat sympathise with given (a) Pope hasn't exactly looked convincing of late himself, (b) Henderson isn't playing for his club and (c) Pickford seems to be a lot better for country than club.

Dier however shouldn't be anywhere near.

croadyman

The Pickford one you can somewhat sympathise with given (a) Pope hasn't exactly looked convincing of late himself, (b) Henderson isn't playing for his club and (c) Pickford seems to be a lot better for country than club.

Dier however shouldn't be anywhere near.
He needs to be flexible when it comes to the holding midfield situation as well. So in games where we have more of the ball play Henderson/Rice & Winks/Phillips

Last edited:

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see how Ben Chilwell is a starter for everyone. He's been bang average at international level. Saka in 2 games showed he has far more about him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Right now i'd go with

GK ; Pickford (due to experience but I prefer Pope as he's steadier)

Shaw, Mings, Maguire, Walker

Midifeld ; Winks, Henderson,

Attack Rashford, Grealish, Sterling, Kane

For me this has the best balance.

Reece James/TAA/AWB competing for the RB slot

Chilwell and Shaw for the LB

Midfield is our weakest area, but we cannot keep playing Rice and Henderson together. Winks is the only one comfortable enough in possession that can play out of a press and dribble naturally with the ball. I think Foden will eventually take the CM mantle but right now he's used more as an AMC.

Attack we have so much talent. Sancho/Mount/Greenwood unlucky not to get in the starting 11 but some great bench options.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Henderson
TAA, Walker, Maguire, Dier, Shaw
Grealish, Rice
Sancho, Kane, Sterling (Rashford)

All out attack. :)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Surprised there isn't more inclusion of Greenwood even off the bench. He's probably the player I would most want to come on for any of our front guys, much more so than a Mount or even Sancho off the bench.

TrustInJanuzaj

Right now i'd go with

GK ; Pickford (due to experience but I prefer Pope as he's steadier)

Shaw, Mings, Maguire, Walker

Midifeld ; Winks, Henderson,

Attack Rashford, Grealish, Sterling, Kane

For me this has the best balance.

Reece James/TAA/AWB competing for the RB slot

Chilwell and Shaw for the LB

Midfield is our weakest area, but we cannot keep playing Rice and Henderson together. Winks is the only one comfortable enough in possession that can play out of a press and dribble naturally with the ball. I think Foden will eventually take the CM mantle but right now he's used more as an AMC.

Attack we have so much talent. Sancho/Mount/Greenwood unlucky not to get in the starting 11 but some great bench options.
I get your logic but you cant play Winks he's absolutely shite.

Adam-Utd

I get your logic but you cant play Winks he's absolutely shite.
I don't think he's that bad tbh. He's the best deep lying playmaker we have unfortunately and he's put in some class displays before. Look back at the away matches against Germany and Spain at the start of Southgates reign.

I think the bigger issue is we just don't have anybody better to play that role. Foden could but he's not ready yet, Barkley? too risky. So that leaves us with water carriers like Dier and Rice

TrustInJanuzaj

I don't think he's that bad tbh. He's the best deep lying playmaker we have unfortunately and he's put in some class displays before. Look back at the away matches against Germany and Spain at the start of Southgates reign.

I think the bigger issue is we just don't have anybody better to play that role. Foden could but he's not ready yet, Barkley? too risky. So that leaves us with water carriers like Dier and Rice
I’d probably rather he goes with a solid base of Henderson and Rice and then just gives the front 4 more freedom, I guess a little similar to what Utd are doing at the moment with Fred and McTomminay. He needs to change to a 4-2-3-1 for that to work though and so far Southgate doesn’t seem to fancy it.

Adam-Utd

I’d probably rather he goes with a solid base of Henderson and Rice and then just gives the front 4 more freedom, I guess a little similar to what Utd are doing at the moment with Fred and McTomminay. He needs to change to a 4-2-3-1 for that to work though and so far Southgate doesn’t seem to fancy it.
Henderson and Rice are absolutely awful together. They've played the last 2/3 matches and done sod all, when Winks came on against Belgium we dominated the game.

I get you might not rate him but sometimes you need a "lesser" player who's more comfortable in that position. We need 1 of them to be dictating the play and looking for the ball, that partnership just doesn't work as they want to do the same things.

I agree he seems to think a back 3 is safer and more necessary for Tournaments, but not sure I agree.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Pope
TAA - Coady - Tarkowski - Chilwell
Henderson - Rice
Sancho - Maddison - Grealish
Kane​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Probably looking like this right now

--------------------Pope--------------------
James--Stones--Maguire--Shaw
--------------------Rice--------------------
-----Henderson-----Foden-----
Sterling--------Kane-------Grealish

RashyForPM

Playing 4 at the back at the Euros is tantamount to us doing well. Play the form players Southgate, for once.

Pope
TAA Stones Mings Shaw
Henderson/Rice (any of these two)
Foden Grealish
Sterling Kane Rashford

From there, just get at teams. This team can win the Euros.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
With a competent manager England finally have the talent to win the euros or world cup.

Trequarista10

Grealish - Kane - Sterling
Foden - Rice - Mount
Chilwell - Maguire - Stones? - TAA
Pope
For me.

Shaw could displace Chilwell, 50-50 pretty much.
Gomez or someone else could displace Stones. None of the options are inspiring though. Please not Dier though.
Reece James is every bit as good as TAA I think. 50-50.
Henderson can come in against tougher opposition to shore things up, but Mount has shown he's capable of playing deeper. I don't hugely rate Mount but he's more progressive than Winks and not convinced by Phillips yet.
Grealish just get him in his best position. Tough to leave out Rashford but the former is better and more consistent.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pope
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Henderson
Foden Grealish Sterling
Kane

front 4 interchanging​

Pope seems the least error prone out of the 3 main keepers.

paulscholes18

Pickford
Walker Stones Shaw
Tripper Rice Henderson Saka
Sterling Kane Grealish

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Pope
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Henderson
Foden Grealish Sterling
Kane

front 3 interchanging​

Pope seems the least error prone out of the 3 main keepers.
Do we need 2 DMs vs most opposition?

Think for most games you could have Foden and Grealish ahead of Rice or Hendo and put Rashford /Sancho on the left.

However we all know Mount has to be in there somewhere.

dbs235

Pope
James Stones Gomez Shaw
Rice Mount
Grealish
Foden Kane Sterling/Rashford

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Do we need 2 DMs vs most opposition?

Think for most games you could have Foden and Grealish ahead of Rice or Hendo and put Rashford /Sancho on the left.

However we all know Mount has to be in there somewhere.
Yeah in the games against shit teams bring in Sancho or Rashford for Rice or Henderson. Against good teams I’d start both though. Neither really play like DMs anyway. Plus the pivot allows the front 4 more freedom, which is essential with players like Grealish, Foden & Kane.

It’s all a moot point anyway as Southgate will play 3 at the back & pick his favourites like Pickford, Trippier & Mount. Grealish & Foden will barely see a minute.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Playing 4 at the back at the Euros is tantamount to us doing well. Play the form players Southgate, for once.

Pope
TAA Stones Mings Shaw
Henderson/Rice (any of these two)
Foden Grealish
Sterling Kane Rashford

From there, just get at teams. This team can win the Euros.
No chance. Way too many attacking players. Would get overrun against any good team. Rice/Henderson would be completely hung out to dry. Both have to play, Rashford would have to go on the bench.