Sterling/Sancho
Maddison/Mount
Grealish/Foden
Rashford/Saka
Kane/Greenwood

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
What other striker will be an option? It seems England are just massively stacked in attacking midfield and lacking everywhere else
This is what you get when every school kid grows up wanting to be like paul scholes :lol:
Massively stacked at right back as well, must be the Neville effect :D

TrustInOle

Pope
R.James......Stones.....Maguire.......Shaw
Rice.....Henderson
Sterling......Grealish.....Rashford
Kane
Still not 100% on RB (Trent, AWB) and both CM being defensive, but that front 4 is lethal. With the likes of Sancho, Greenwood and Foden being in the mix, we look to have one of the best pick of forward options I've seen in years. Exciting times.

saivet

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
Kane
Something like this is probably the best you can hope for. I'm sure Pickford will remain first choice, irrespective of how poor his form is at the time.

Unless Alexander-Arnold's form picks up massively between now and the end of the season he shouldn't be the starting RB either.
As crazy as it sounds TAA could even get displaced from the squad completely.

What other striker will be an option? It seems England are just massively stacked in attacking midfield and lacking everywhere else
This is what you get when every school kid grows up wanting to be like paul scholes :lol:
DCL and Ings would be the two back ups and potentially even Rashford. I guess Greenwood could be an option too but given his form I don't think he's anywhere near making the squad.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
As of right now I would go:

------------------Pickford

James Stones Maguire Shaw

-----------Rice Henderson

Foden---- Grealish ----Sterling

----------------Kane--------------------

I'd still take Pickford currently as 1st choice because he's by far the best distributor and he's always played well for England. Henderson just isn't playing enough and Pope's lack of ability on the ball and outside his box doesn't suit the type of game I feel England should play.

Stones has worked his way back in to the fold as he's playing extremely well, same with Shaw who on current form is a better option than Chilwell. James over TAA on current form because the latter is playing very poorly, and James is a bit more rounded and more solid defensively.

Foden and Grealish for me both have to start, they are England's two most talented attacking and creative players at the moment. I thought about both in a 3 man midfield but I think that would leave Rice overrun and I think Henderson has to start too, so Foden from the right it is where he can still be very affective. Him, Grealish and Sterling can all interchange as necessary.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pope
James — Stones — Maguire — Shaw
Rice — Henderson(?)
Sancho — Grealish — Rashford
Kane
—————————————————​
GKs: Henderson; Pickford (ew)
Defence: Alexander-Arnold, Tomori, Mings(?), Chilwell
Midfield: Mount, Maddison, Saka,
Forwards: Sterling, Foden, Calvert-Lewin
——————
As exciting as some of the attack is, our major issues still exist — CB is a large cause for concern (though Stones is in fantastic form), and we still have absolutely no top quality central or holding midfielders. I’d much prefer to take these attacking no.8s like Mount and Maddison over someone like Phillips.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think it's about getting the balance right in attack between creativity and goal scoring threat.

Kane usually plays a more direct role for England than he has been doing for spurs this season, but that might change going forward so you need to get goals into the team.

That makes Rashford a necessity for me, he's much more likely to make a driving run at the defence and shoot than any of the other attacking midfielders / wingers in the England set up.

Neither Sterling nor Sancho have hit their previous heights this year, so it should be a toss up depending on who performs better for the rest of the season.

Grealish and Foden would both ideally play, if not for that lack of goals from Kane playing differently so I'd probably rotate then in the AM slot for big games and potentially play both when playing the minnows.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
As crazy as it sounds TAA could even get displaced from the squad completely.

DCL and Ings would be the two back ups and potentially even Rashford. I guess Greenwood could be an option too but given his form I don't think he's anywhere near making the squad.
Ahh yeah, DCL is having a decent season to be called as a back up. Also agree with you about rashford and Greenwood.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
One thing I’ve got from this thread is Southgate has an impossible task to please fans as no two posts have looked the same.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I’d honestly throw silly money at Pep for a one month gig. It’s been done before, albeit in the 1980s, I think by the Soviets or Ukrainians :lol:
You sure? Pep was only 15 yo in say 1986. :smirk:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Do people reckon Antonio would have a shout in getting in the squad. Might offer something different if need plan B
Nah, England are stacked for attacking options after Kane (Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Abrahams, Ings, Greenwood, etc), Antonio at 30 doesn't really come into it.

SirMarcusRashford

Maybe a bit too attacking (ie. need Rice in there)

--------------Kane
Grealish-- --Musiala ----Sancho
-----Foden-----Bellingham
Shaw----Maguire---Gomez---TAA
---------------Pope

^^
I think that team is about a year away though, but excited about the potential of Musiala (should he stick with England).

I know my username is 'Rashford' but i honestly cannot see a case for him starting on the left (or even as a CF) this season, i think Grealish/Sterling and even Saka should be ahead of him if this season is anything to go by, other than Kane, Grealish should be the first name on the teamsheet.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nah, England are stacked for attacking options after Kane (Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Abrahams, Ings, Greenwood, etc), Antonio at 30 doesn't really come into it.
Been more talk of Bamford getting a late call up hasn't there. Ollie Watkins could even make a late run given he has 10 goals in 21 games for us and he had some questionable rules out by VAR.

Those two probably more likely to be considered for the world cup cycle though.

SirMarcusRashford

I think should anything happen to Kane before the Euros, Vardy will come out of retirement.

I can't see Bamford getting a look in, if he wants international football he should make himself available for selection for the ROI (i know there's been talk of it).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t watch Sancho weekly tbh, just seen a few threads on here that he’s the best thing since sliced bread and flint it again this season so thought he was a shoe in.

I wouldn’t argue with either variation you posted there, maybe grealish possibly wasted in the middle? But then I’d prefer the speed of Sterling and rashford on wings anyway
He’s hot & cold in a farmers league. Good player but enormously overrated. United wise I’d much rather take Haaland from them.

We have incredible attacking talent, Rice & Henderson are a good enough midfield base, & we have some really good full backs. The two things that will prevent us doing anything are 1. The manager & 2. The centre defenders.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Been more talk of Bamford getting a late call up hasn't there. Ollie Watkins could even make a late run given he has 10 goals in 21 games for us and he had some questionable rules out by VAR.

Those two probably more likely to be considered for the world cup cycle though.
Would sooner see Watkins over Bamford. Bamford has been good for Leeds but they play in a really unique setup/tactics, and for the goals he's got, he really misses a lot too.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Pope

Wan-Bissaka Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Grealish

Foden Kane Rashford
This is the biggest problem England have, and also the biggest problem United have. Stones doesn’t have the attributes to cover for Maguire’s deficiencies. He’s quite similar to Lindelof, just a bit stronger in the air.

Wan-Bissaka most likely won’t even get in the squad. TAA, Trippier, Walker & James all seem to be ahead of him. There’s Cash & Lamptey who are uncapped too. Tremendous depth at right back.

We have too much attacking talent & not enough defensive/midfield talent. We’re going to see players like Maddison, Greenwood & Saka not even making the squad, while shite like Dier, Keane & Winks do.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

This is the biggest problem England have, and also the biggest problem United have. Stones doesn’t have the attributes to cover for Maguire’s deficiencies. He’s quite similar to Lindelof, just a bit stronger in the air.

Wan-Bissaka most likely won’t even get in the squad. TAA, Trippier, Walker & James all seem to be ahead of him. There’s Cash & Lamptey who are uncapped too. Tremendous depth at right back.
Completely agree with you with regards to this partnership being similar to Lindelof and Maguire. In the absence of Gomez though, what alternative do you propose? It's possible that Southgate goes with three at the back I suppose.

Yeah, lots of competition at right back. Fully expect Wan-Bissaka not to be in the squad, though personally I'd bring him and Alexander-Arnold.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Would be a big call for Southgate not to start him and I don't see it happening. Touch and go between him and Rashford on the left, although I imagine Sterling will get the nod on the right.
Rashford probably won’t start.

Southgate likes 3 at the back doesn’t he. So I think he’ll go

Pickford
Gomez (if fit) Stones Maguire
Trippier Rice Henderson Chilwell
Sterling Kane Mount

Based on recent games. Walker could start RCB. Absolutely not what I would pick, but I think that’s what he will go with. Pickford, Trippier & Mount are big favourites of his, if they are fit they will start.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Pickford
Sterling Kane Mount

Based on recent games. Walker could start RCB. Absolutely not what I would pick, but I think that’s what he will go with. Pickford, Trippier & Mount are big favourites of his, if they are fit they will start.
Eurgh, after looking at all these fancy attacking line ups in this thread that team looks a bit of a let down. It’d be funny if he played that team and then had a bench of sancho, grealish, rashford, foden, Maddison, DCL all itching to get on

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Eurgh, after looking at all these fancy attacking line ups in this thread that team looks a bit of a let down. It’d be funny if he played that team and then had a bench of sancho, grealish, rashford, foden, Maddison, DCL all itching to get on
It really does, but I think it’s probably closer to the real team we see in the Euros than all the class exciting teams we’ve seen posted in here :(

Doracle

Pickford
Sterling Kane Mount

He likes Mount but not to the point of absurdity. The wide forwards are going to be two of Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and Foden. I’ve said Rashford and Foden above but I expect it to be Sterling (RW) and Rashford (LW).

Remember the geese

Pickford
Sterling Kane Mount

I don't see Mount starting over Rashford, but yeah he does appear to be a 'manager's favourite' so we will see. If playing a system with wing backs, then it's possible that Saka may get the nod over Chilwell.

Robindinho

Attack attack attack...

Pope

James Stones Maguire Shaw/Saka

Rice

Foden Grealish

Sterling Kane Rashford

...no doubt though that instead, it’ll be a back 5 and 2 defensive midfielders. Dier, Trippier, Henderson, Walker etc :(

Cantonagotmehere

Pope/Henderson/Pickford
TAA/AWB
Stones/Gomez
Maguire/Mings
Shaw/Chilwell
Rice/Henderson
Sterling/Sancho
Maddison/Mount
Grealish/Foden
Rashford/Saka
Kane/Greenwood

Pope
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Rashford Grealish Sterling
Kane

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Pope/Henderson/Pickford
TAA/AWB
Stones/Gomez
Maguire/Mings
Shaw/Chilwell
Rice/Henderson
Sterling/Sancho
Maddison/Mount
Grealish/Foden
Rashford/Saka
Kane/Greenwood

Pope
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Rashford Grealish Sterling
Kane
In the place of one or two of the forwards, I think he'll take more DM/CM cover as he probably wants the option of playing both Rice and Henderson, which means he needs at least one back-up.

AgentSmith

Pickford

TAA Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Sterling Foden Grealish

Kane​

Pickford, Maguire and Rice feel like slightly limited choices but there’s a dearth of viable quality in those positions.

We’re absolutely stacked in the forward positions though - glad we have a progressive manager like Southgate at the helm to utilise them all.

troylocker

Maybe a bit too attacking (ie. need Rice in there)

--------------Kane
Grealish-- --Musiala ----Sancho
-----Foden-----Bellingham
Shaw----Maguire---Gomez---TAA
---------------Pope

^^
I think that team is about a year away though, but excited about the potential of Musiala (should he stick with England).

I know my username is 'Rashford' but i honestly cannot see a case for him starting on the left (or even as a CF) this season, i think Grealish/Sterling and even Saka should be ahead of him if this season is anything to go by, other than Kane, Grealish should be the first name on the teamsheet.
Too soon I'm afraid. Would you trust that midfield against Spain/France/Germany/Portugal/Belgium in 12 months?

All great talents though.

PS! Maybe give Musiala a bit more than 700 minutes of senior football before giving him the #10 for England? He has started 4 matches for Bayern in BL and CL and they gave away points in all four......(Bayern has won 20 out of 26 matches in BL and CL this season)

Swiss_Red89

----------Pickford------
TAA--Maguire-Gomez-Shaw
---Henderson---Rice-----
Sterling---Grealish---Rashford
------------Kane-------------

If he sees Grealish only on LW (as he already mentioned if i remember correctly), then it will be between Grealish and Rashford for LW. I think in this case Rashford would be the better impact player from the bench against tired legs.
The number 10 role could then be played by Foden, Mount or even Rashford as a sort of second striker. You could let them interchange all the time anyway.

I'm not sure Southgate has it in him to bring the best out of this quality bunch.
You guys really are blessed with sensational offensive talent. If we in Switzerland only could get even your 5th or 6th striker in Bamford for example :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Do people reckon Antonio would have a shout in getting in the squad. Might offer something different if need plan B
Nah. I imagine there's room for 1 centre-forward after Kane and it'll probably be Calvert-Lewin. Can't see any of the other candidates making the list.

BlackShark_80

Pope
TAA — Stones — Tomori — Chilwell
Henderson — Rice
Sterling — Foden — Grealish
Kane

Subs: DCL, Sancho, Maddison, Bellingham, James, Coady, Henderson

Last edited:

SirMarcusRashford

Too soon I'm afraid. Would you trust that midfield against Spain/France/Germany/Portugal/Belgium in 12 months?

All great talents though.

PS! Maybe give Musiala a bit more than 700 minutes of senior football before giving him the #10 for England? He has started 4 matches for Bayern in BL and CL and they gave away points in all four......(Bayern has won 20 out of 26 matches in BL and CL this season)
Yeah hence why i said that team is "probably still a year away" but on reflection, i agree probably more, still the future looks great, England are now in a position where if someone gets injured we have another player who can come in and do a job just as good job.

LW for example, Grealish/Rashford/Sterling/Saka does it really handicap the team whoever starts? AMF there's Mount/Maddision/Grealish/Smith Rowe/Foden/Sterling/Alli/Musiala/Barkley. I think the only position I'm really worried about is an injury to Kane, but as said should anything happen to Kane before the Euros I'm sure Vardy would make himself available for selection.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Looking at this England team, there is so much talent. i'm going to list my A and B team and quite honestly, both teams could be good enough to win it

-----------------------------------Henderson---------------------------------
Walker--------------Stones---------------Maguire--------------Shaw
-----------------------------------Henderson--------------------------------
----------------Mount-------------------------------Foden-------------------
Sancho------------------------Kane-----------------------------Sterling

-----------------------------Calvert-Lewin-------------------------
Rashford-----------------Grealish-----------------------Saka
-------------------Rice--------------------Ward-Prowse---------
Chillwell------------Mings----------Coady-----------TAA
----------------------------------Pope-------------------------------

I haven't even gotten players like AWB, Trippier, Bellingham, Watkins, Phillips and Lingard in yet. There is so much talent here, but why is it that I already know that Southgate is going to f*ck it all up. As far as I'm concerned these are the top 22 players available for England. I just know there's going to be some that I haven't included in either starting 11 that Southgate is going to pick and England will once again leave the supporters disappointed...

Doracle

I like the look of the A team but can’t see Southgate playing one DM and two AMs in centre mid. A slightly more possible team would be:

Pickford

James/TAA
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Henderson

Foden/Sancho
Mount/Grealish
Rashford/Grealish

Kane