England's best XI

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rashy is better than Sterling for me. To be uncouth, he’s got much bigger balls.

Wide forward positions are crazy good though

Left

Sterling
Rashford
Grealish

right

Sancho
Foden
Saka
In terms of ability I think Rashford is better but Sterling has him beat on decision making & consistency.

dbs235

Rashy is better than Sterling for me. To be uncouth, he’s got much bigger balls.

Wide forward positions are crazy good though

Left

Sterling
Rashford
Grealish

right

Sancho
Foden
Saka
Going to have a quality bench. Players like Maddison, Sancho and Saka.

RashyForPM

No chance. Way too many attacking players. Would get overrun against any good team. Rice/Henderson would be completely hung out to dry. Both have to play, Rashford would have to go on the bench.
The team I want to play would certainly beat Croatia, the Czechs and Scotland. Of course, with sides like Portugal and France, we’ll have to make exceptions. I’d take Grealish out though. Rashford’s pace is important on the counter, he has experience of massive positive contributions in big games against top sides (Pool, PSG, Leipzig) and he has pedigree in terms of performing for England. We don’t know with Grealish yet.

dbs235

Maddison might not even go. Mount is a favourite of Southgate, then there’s Foden & Grealish who can also play 10.
Yeah he might not even go, which further proves the ridiculous depth England are starting to build up. Wasn't that long ago Jake Livermore was in the England team.

izec

With Southgate, more than a semi final is not in it.

Overall, one of the most talented squads, the attacking depth is ridiculous.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Pope

Wan-Bissaka
Stones
Maguire
Chilwell

Rice
Foden
Grealish

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

Defend deep, break with pace.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can't help but feel like
Pope

Wan-Bissaka
Stones
Maguire
Chilwell

Rice
Foden
Grealish

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

I can't help but feel like Kane, Grealish, Foden and Rashford would all just get in each others way.

simplyared

Pope 28

James 24
Stones 26
Coady 27
Shaw 25

Foden 20
Ward-Prowse 26
Grealish 25

Sterling 26
Kane 27
Rashford 23

average age = 25
to add to the list: Mount 24; Greenwood 19
Must be the best stock of players we've had in years!

Last edited:

Doracle

Its a formidable team on paper:

Pope

TAA
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Henderson

Foden
Grealish
Rashford

Kane

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Quite possibly. They're all so good though that I wouldn't know who to leave out.
I agree and that's the issue that Southgate is going to have. It at least means he can be a bit more versatile in tournaments if he does have to leave someone out. It will give much needed rest going into the deeper stages.

saivet

All these line ups and I fear Southgate picking a team like this

Pickford
Stones, Maguire, Mings
Trippier, Henderson, Rice, Chilwell
Mount, Kane, Sterling​

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’d move Grealish into the front three as it helps the balance of the attack, joins midfield and attack better, improves ball retention and takes the creative burden off Kane. A creative on one side and a more direct stretching threat on the other - so it could be inverted with Foden on the RW and Grealish in midfield. Leaves space for whichever one of Sterling or Rashford is on form.

I’d be concerned about a midfield base of Henderson and Rice. It would be really easy to defend against. Unless they’re up against a clearly superior team, then surely Southgate has to play to his strengths by maximising the Grealish/Foden/Maddison axis.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So many good English players now. Golden generation 2?

Problem is we don't have anyone to manage the team anywhere near the level of the players we have.

Don't see England team doing anything till that is solved.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Imagine if Southgate still picks about 5 DMs in the squad....going to be no room for all the inform attackers.

Do players like Mason Greenwood or Tammy Abraham even make the squad now particularly if you unload a striker to get in another attacking midfielder.

Think euros being held back has benefited England as next to no chance Foden or Grealish would've been serious candidates for the squad 12 months back and likes of Dele Alli would've likely still been called up although big question of fatigue still given the mad schedule but guess that's same for all nations given lack of winter break in other leagues.

Problem will remain CB though....options remain pretty underwhelming and question is do you stick at three at the back given Coady can only really play in it (if he's still a viable squad option) and can hide the limitations of Mings, Maguire and Dier all more in a 3 and they've been the regular starters over last 18 months. Or stick to 4 and get in another attacker.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Southgate might want to have a little rethink about his system since the form of Grealish, Maddison and Foden but i still reckon he will keep the 3-4-3 system and to be honest it looks much better with form of Stones, Shaw & Henderson as defender.

---------------------------------------------------Pope
-----------------------------------------------Johnstone
-------------------------------------------------Pickford

-----------------------Stones--------------Maguire-------------------Shaw
-----------------------Walker----------------Coady--------------------Mings

Alexander-Arnold-----------Foden-------------------------Rice------------------Chilwell
------James-----------------Mount--------------------Henderson--------------Saka

---------------------Sterling-----------------Kane-------------------Grealish
---------------------Sancho-----------Calvert-Lewin------------Rashford

That would currently mean no Maddison, Trippier, Greenwood, Abraham, Ings, Bamford, Watkins, Barnes, Jones, Hudson-Odoi, Bellingham, Justin or Tomori :eek:
If the tournament starts tomorrow and all players are fit then this please....

Starting XI:--------------------------Pope

Alexander-Arnold--------Gomez------------Maguire---------------Chilwell

---------------------------------------------Rice
------------------------Foden-----------------------------Mount

-----Sterling---------------------------Kane------------------------------Grealish

Bench: Pickford, D.Henderson, James, Coady, Mings, J.Henderson, Maddison, Saka, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood & Calvert-Lewin

My slogan is "ATTACK" because we have so many amazing attacking players and no world-class centre-backs anymore like Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell or Carragher for many clean-sheets.
But i would still opt for this team above (Of course Stones for Gomez and maybe Shaw for Chilwell).

Last edited:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Pope 28

James 24
Stones 26
Coady 27
Shaw 25

Foden 20
Ward-Prowse 26
Grealish 25

Sterling 26
Kane 27
Rashford 23

average age = 25
to add to the list: Mount 24; Greenwood 19
Must be the best stock of players we've had in years!
Mount is 22, James is 21

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
GK ???
RCB James
CB Stones
LCB Shaw
RWB Trent
DM Rice
LWB Saka
RCM Mount
LCM Foden
AM Grealish
FW Kane
FW Sterling

Foden, Grealish and Sterling all rotate into attacking roles, Rice can step back into CB to make a back four if necessary.

Trequarista10

GK ???
RCB James
CB Stones
LCB Shaw
RWB Trent
DM Rice
LWB Saka
RCM Mount
LCM Foden
AM Grealish
FW Kane
FW Sterling

Foden, Grealish and Sterling all rotate into attacking roles, Rice can step back into CB to make a back four if necessary.
This team would win the Euros and World Cup with ease, but I don't think we'll be allowed to play with 12 players.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
All these line ups and I fear Southgate picking a team like this

Pickford
Stones, Maguire, Mings
Trippier, Henderson, Rice, Chilwell
Mount, Kane, Sterling​
He's definitely going to pick a team like this - that's been his go to formation/ player choices throughout all of the recent fixtures.

I'd play;
Pickford

TAA - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell

Henderson - Rice

Sterling - Foden - Grealish

Kane​

With Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Mount very unlucky to miss out.

UmbroDays

Pope

TAA
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Maddison
Grealish

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

I like it but added two changes

Either way this England team is sick, and Southgate should try the false 9 with Sancho

Wino1

Godfrey deserves a look in at CB. He's been great for Everton. Can also cover LB if necessary too.

RashyForPM

So many good English players now. Golden generation 2?

Problem is we don't have anyone to manage the team anywhere near the level of the players we have.

Don't see England team doing anything till that is solved.
I’d honestly throw silly money at Pep for a one month gig. It’s been done before, albeit in the 1980s, I think by the Soviets or Ukrainians :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Godfrey deserves a look in at CB. He's been great for Everton. Can also cover LB if necessary too.
I'd keep him in the u21. Although with the crazy scheduling of the tournament this spring/summer we'll have to take an u17 team or something.

I'd have Pope in goal. After watching him for England recently he came out to collect a ball on the edge of the box, he got kneed in the face and didn't even flinch. After watching DDG all these years I took uncommon enjoyment from seeing a keeper do that for a team that I support.

Lee565

With so much great attacking that southgate should be including in the first 11 I can see this being the tournament where we see a complete 180 from the majority of the english public by calling for southgate to do one when we eventually go out because of his less than ambitious line ups and tactics.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I was interested in a similar thread to this after seeing MOTD last night and then showing the foden, grealish, Maddison and mount graphic.
England seem to have possibly too much attacking talent and not enough defensive. Attackers are going to be left out or forced in but scraping for defensive midfielders and defenders.

looking through this thread I’m surprised so many would still pick TAA, he’s always been suspect defensively and plays to Liverpool’s strengths of banging long diagonals all game, doubt England would do the same, plus he’s had a dreadful season. Wan bissaka is by far a better defender and England has more than enough creativity upfront to be needing TAA smashing long balls over.

the first 11 is hard to put down, I’d play shaw and wan bissaka but that may be my bias. I’ll skip on centre backs.
Is there only Henderson and rice as DM?

then there’s Sterling or rashford or grealish for the left? Wow.
Foden or sancho for the right? Wow
Maddison and mount are decent but I’d be tempted to play Foden in the middle instead of either of those.
At the moment I’d go 4231

kane
Sterling Foden sancho
Rice Henderson

rashford and grealish as subs no room for one of mount or Maddison to even go

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was interested in a similar thread to this after seeing MOTD last night and then showing the foden, grealish, Maddison and mount graphic.
England seem to have possibly too much attacking talent and not enough defensive. Attackers are going to be left out or forced in but scraping for defensive midfielders and defenders.

looking through this thread I’m surprised so many would still pick TAA, he’s always been suspect defensively and plays to Liverpool’s strengths of banging long diagonals all game, doubt England would do the same, plus he’s had a dreadful season. Wan bissaka is by far a better defender and England has more than enough creativity upfront to be needing TAA smashing long balls over.

the first 11 is hard to put down, I’d play shaw and wan bissaka but that may be my bias. I’ll skip on centre backs.
Is there only Henderson and rice as DM?

then there’s Sterling or rashford or grealish for the left? Wow.
Foden or sancho for the right? Wow
Maddison and mount are decent but I’d be tempted to play Foden in the middle instead of either of those.
At the moment I’d go 4231

kane
Sterling Foden sancho
Rice Henderson

rashford and grealish as subs no room for one of mount or Maddison to even go
Foden right, Grealish centre, Sterling left, or Sterling right Foden centre, Grealish left. Sancho shouldn’t start.

CM

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
Kane
Something like this is probably the best you can hope for. I'm sure Pickford will remain first choice, irrespective of how poor his form is at the time.

Unless Alexander-Arnold's form picks up massively between now and the end of the season he shouldn't be the starting RB either.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Foden right, Grealish centre, Sterling left, or Sterling right Foden centre, Grealish left. Sancho shouldn’t start.
I don’t watch Sancho weekly tbh, just seen a few threads on here that he’s the best thing since sliced bread and flint it again this season so thought he was a shoe in.

I wouldn’t argue with either variation you posted there, maybe grealish possibly wasted in the middle? But then I’d prefer the speed of Sterling and rashford on wings anyway

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
This is probably the best England squad I can remember, granted we don’t have a player as good as prime Rooney and Rio was twice the player of any current centre back we have but judging the squad as a whole this might be the best.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What other striker will be an option? It seems England are just massively stacked in attacking midfield and lacking everywhere else
This is what you get when every school kid grows up wanting to be like paul scholes :lol: