England's best XI

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think Rashford will play as there's not much genuine width and pace with that three.
Grealish and Foden, despite essentially being inverted wide forwards in that formation are actually really great at providing width for their clubs. Neither are as pacey as Rashford, Sterling, Sancho but I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of pace to accommodate those two. Mount is the one that isn't a cert for me, but he provides a really great balance as well as being a genuine quality option.

TheReligion

Abusive
Grealish and Foden, despite essentially being inverted wide forwards in that formation are actually really great at providing width for their clubs. Neither are as pacey as Rashford, Sterling, Sancho but I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of pace to accommodate those two. Mount is the one that isn't a cert for me, but he provides a really great balance as well as being a genuine quality option.
I don't see Foden, Grealish and Mount all on the pitch together personally and don't think Southgate will either tbh. At least one of Sterling, Rashford and Sancho will play and obviously Kane is a gimme.

One of your three will 100% drop out.

AgentSmith

I like Grealish, and pleased he is finally in the England set up. Why he was excluded for so long to is a mystery. Rashford adds pace, and is a goal threat, personally I’d start him there ahead of Grealish.

it’s good to have differences of opinion.
That is a potential issue with Kane, Foden, Mount, and Grealish all crammed into one team. Lots of players who would seem to like to pick up the ball in that no.10 role instead of running beyond the defence.

So yeah I agree someone like Rashford with his pace and goal threat would be a nice compliment to that.

I just think Sterling could offer you something similar and is able to play on the RW freeing up the LW spot for Grealish who’s probably been the best player in the league this season.

This would be what I’d like to see:

Henderson
James Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice
Mount Foden
Sterling Kane Grealish​

with Rashford the first choice attacking option off the bench.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
More I look at the players to chose from the more annoyed I get at who's incharge.

This bunch are begging for a hipster coach.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see Foden, Grealish and Mount all on the pitch together personally and don't think Southgate will either tbh. At least one of Sterling, Rashford and Sancho will play and obviously Kane is a gimme.

One of your three will 100% drop out.
You may be right. That would just be my preferred eleven, depending on the opponent. I think having both Rice and Henderson would be a bit overkill against some teams. Dropping one of them for Mount would allow for one of your three to start.

Judas

Open to offers
I wouldn't be shocked if Sancho doesn't even get called up for the Euros. He's not exactly torn it up for the brave lions so far has he. We've got so many options in that department, if everyone's fit someone class is going to have to miss out, aren't they?

TheReligion

Abusive
You may be right. That would just be my preferred eleven, depending on the opponent. I think having both Rice and Henderson would be a bit overkill against some teams. Dropping one of them for Mount would allow for one of your three to start.
I think that's the only way to get Mount in to be honest. Not sure if Southgate is brave enough mind.

Think Grealish should be a cert. Depends if he wants to start with Foden I guess.

England have too many good forward players.

iHicksy

------- -------Henderson ---------
Awb ---Stones -- Maguire -- Shaw
------------ Rice ---- Grealish ------------
Foden ------Mount -------- Rashford
--------------- Kane --------------------

Sterling should be nowhere near the England team imo. He's been awful for city for all of this season and the latter part of the last.

Judas

Open to offers
I think that's the only way to get Mount in to be honest. Not sure if Southgate is brave enough mind.

Think Grealish should be a cert. Depends if he wants to start with Foden I guess.

England have too many good forward players.
Southgate and brave don't really go together do they, sadly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Sterling should be nowhere near the England team imo. He's been awful for city for all of this season and the latter part of the last.
Huge exaggeration.

reddevilz007

Huge exaggeration.

And Rashford has been better and more consistent?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And Rashford has been better and more consistent?
One can make that argument without exaggerating. Only caveat against Rashford is his injury, I would hate for it to be aggravated during international duty. Otherwise I wouldn't argue against Rashford starting in place of Sterling

saivet

I wouldn't be shocked if Sancho doesn't even get called up for the Euros. He's not exactly torn it up for the brave lions so far has he. We've got so many options in that department, if everyone's fit someone class is going to have to miss out, aren't they?
I'd be very surprised if Sancho isn't in the squad. I think it will be players like Maddison and maybe Saka who will miss out. Assuming there are 2 players per position (many of these players can cover two or three roles) I'd imagine it will be something like:

LW: Rashford, Grealish
CAM: Mount, Foden
RW: Sterling, Sancho

The only traditional wide forwards would be Rashford and Sterling which might leave us a bit short. I can't see Southgate going with Saka or Barnes ahead of Sancho either unless he ends the season terribly.

cvb

Supports
City
That is a potential issue with Kane, Foden, Mount, and Grealish all crammed into one team. Lots of players who would seem to like to pick up the ball in that no.10 role instead of running beyond the defence.

So yeah I agree someone like Rashford with his pace and goal threat would be a nice compliment to that.

I just think Sterling could offer you something similar and is able to play on the RW freeing up the LW spot for Grealish who’s probably been the best player in the league this season.

This would be what I’d like to see:

Henderson
James Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice
Mount Foden
Sterling Kane Grealish​

with Rashford the first choice attacking option off the bench.
I like this lineup, but would go for Walker over James.
I'm not saying Walker is the better player, I just think he's the better fit for this system. He is very accustomed to playing an inverted fullback role for City, which will offer support for Rice in the middle of the pitch.

AgentSmith

I like this lineup, but would go for Walker over James.
I'm not saying Walker is the better player, I just think he's the better fit for this system. He is very accustomed to playing an inverted fullback role for City, which will offer support for Rice in the middle of the pitch.
Yeah I’d be happy with Walker as well. There’s reasonable arguments for any of the RB candidates tbf.

That’s a good point about the responsibilities Walker has under Pep as well. Plus it maintains that City defensive relationship with Stones.

saivet

My team depending on formation:

Pickford
Stones, Maguire, Shaw
TAA, Henderson, Rice, Saka
Sterling, Kane, Grealish
Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice
Mount, Foden
Sterling, Kane, Grealish​

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice, Henderson
Sterling, Foden, Grealish
Kane​

I think there is a very good case for either Sancho or Rashford to come in for Grealish or Sterling, so I think the wide forward positions should ultimately come down to form as there are some excellent options. I think at least one of Sancho, Sterling or Rashford need to start.

Right back or right wing back could easily be James, Tripper or TAA, so again not too fussed. It is nice though that I would genuinely be happy with quite a few other options over my teams.

Longshanks

Henderson

TAA Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice

Mount Grealish

Sterling Kane Rashford
Wont happen mind, wouldn't be surprised to see the old 3 CB's 2DM's option, which would be a massive shame because that front 5 supported by the full backs has got enough to terrify any opponents.

OmarUnited4ever

I think at this stage Mount is definitely a cert for England's XI, he's been playing extremely well this season and has performs strongly for England whenever selected for XI.

And if it's between Grealish & Foden, Grealish edges it for but I wouldn't mind if Foden gets the nod.

OmarUnited4ever

If we assume everyone is healthy and in good form:-

Pope
TAA Stone Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Sancho Mount Sterling

Kane

TAA & Shaw can provide quality delivery from FB and feed Kane, Sancho is also is creator, Sterling and Mount can also attack the box, so this would be a balanced XI.

Rashford, Grealish, Foden & DCL will provide strong quality from the bench (I don't mind Rashford or Grealish starting ahead of Sterling in the LW spot)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Only injuries will see him not make the cut. He’s only just behind Sterling and Rashford in the pecking order.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hijacking the thread for Euros squad thoughts...

I imagine (injuries withstanding) our 23 will look like (I'd say 13 are 100% nailed-on, bet your house on, definitely going if they're fit, which are the ones in Green... 6 (in Orange) are pretty much a certainty, which leaves 4 places left to play with)

GK: Pickford / Pope / Henderson (3)

LB: Shaw / Chilwell (2)

CB: Maguire / Stones / Cody / Mings (4)

RB: James / Walker (2)

CM: Rice / Phillips / Henderson (3)

AM: Mount / Grealish (2)

RW/LW: Sterling / Rashford / Foden / Sancho (4)

CF: Kane / DCL (2)

Which is 22, and then the 23rd place will either be Saka, Trippier, TAA, Dier, JWP, Bellingham or Lingard. I don't think Maddison has much of a hope of breaking in unfortunately.

You would hope it's Saka from that lot, but I actually think it might be Dier (though he also might go in for Mings) for his versatility. There is also a chance he does something daft like leaves Luke Shaw out for Trippier.

Other left field shouts could be Lingard in for Sancho or Grealish.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

My 23 man team

Pickford/ Henderson/ Pope
James/ Walker, Stones/ Coady, Maguire/ Mings, Shaw/ Chilwell
Rice/ Phillips
Henderson/ Fodan, Mount/ Maddison
Sterling/ Sancho, Kane/ DCL, Rashford/ Grealish

If it gets extended to 25 then Saka and Watkins come in

Wouldn’t have thought 1 year ago TAA and Greenwood wouldn’t be in the 23 man squad and Stones would be.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Grealish and Foden could become game-changers for England. Not necessarily because of what they can do as individuals, but how they can change they system. Traditionally England always end up ceding control of midfield, and invariably get played around when it comes to the crunch. Such exquisite ball-players should enable much greater control of possession higher up the park, as well as the defence-opening threat that comes with talented ball-carriers. I'm not convinced that Southgate has got the vision to pull it off and play them both, because he appears to be distrusting of their individuality. And in times of pressure, he's likely to revert to type - i.e. becoming hard to beat - which in practice will be Henderson and Rice to suffocate midfield, and relying on Kane for final third creation, with pace as the outlet over the top. But the solution is staring him straight in the face.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hijacking the thread for Euros squad thoughts...

I imagine (injuries withstanding) our 23 will look like (I'd say 13 are 100% nailed-on, bet your house on, definitely going if they're fit, which are the ones in Green... 6 (in Orange) are pretty much a certainty, which leaves 4 places left to play with)

GK: Pickford / Pope / Henderson (3)

LB: Shaw / Chilwell (2)

CB: Maguire / Stones / Cody / Mings (4)

RB: James / Walker (2)

CM: Rice / Phillips / Henderson (3)

AM: Mount / Grealish (2)

RW/LW: Sterling / Rashford / Foden / Sancho (4)

CF: Kane / DCL (2)

Which is 22, and then the 23rd place will either be Saka, Trippier, TAA, Dier, JWP, Bellingham or Lingard. I don't think Maddison has much of a hope of breaking in unfortunately.

You would hope it's Saka from that lot, but I actually think it might be Dier (though he also might go in for Mings) for his versatility. There is also a chance he does something daft like leaves Luke Shaw out for Trippier.

Other left field shouts could be Lingard in for Sancho or Grealish.
I see Sancho is still injured for Dortmund, unless he gets fit and into some kind of form he shouldn't get in the squad ahead of someone like Lingard wonder if Southgate has the balls to drop such a marque name though. Same goes with TAA, you wonder if some players will get picked based on their name alone

My 23

GK's: Pickford, Pope, Henderson
RB's: Walker, James, TAA
CB's: Maguire, Stones, Coady
LB's: Shaw, Chilwell
CM's: Rice, Dier, Henderson
CAM's: Mount, Foden, Grealish, Lingard
RW/LW: Rashford, Sterling, Saka
CF's: Kane, DCL

Went with TAA over a 4th CB purely because with Rice and Dier you have two players there that could play in the back, same reason why I went with Dier over Phillips

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
well done for producing such a compelling thought out argument
I don't think the suggestion deserves one, frankly.

The way you've portrayed Sancho there you'd think he'd had a disastrous season and had been crocked for most of it. He's been out for a month, less than say Jordan Henderson who you have in the squad.

AgentSmith

well done for producing such a compelling thought out argument
Well if you take the idea that a 23 man squad essentially requires 2 players for every position plus a 3rd goalkeeper I’d rather Sancho be the back-up RW to Sterling and Mount be the back-up CAM to Foden.

Don’t see how Lingard would be a better option than Sancho on the right or ahead of the queue for the CAM spot.

Andersonson

If we assume everyone is healthy and in good form:-

Pope
TAA Stone Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Sancho Mount Sterling

Kane

TAA & Shaw can provide quality delivery from FB and feed Kane, Sancho is also is creator, Sterling and Mount can also attack the box, so this would be a balanced XI.

Rashford, Grealish, Foden & DCL will provide strong quality from the bench (I don't mind Rashford or Grealish starting ahead of Sterling in the LW spot)
I almost agree entirely. I would like to see Fosen in for Mount though.

charlenefan

I don't think the suggestion deserves one, frankly.

The way you've portrayed Sancho there you'd think he'd had a disastrous season and had been crocked for most of it. He's been out for a month, less than say Jordan Henderson who you have in the squad.
he has

charlenefan

It really hasn't though. 8 goals and 14 assists in 27 league and CL appearances is far from a disaster.
Last season he got 17 goals in the league alone, he's been well off the pace this season so much so it's not even a debate. Everyone knows he's been off the pace and the reasons why

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I see Sancho is still injured for Dortmund, unless he gets fit and into some kind of form he shouldn't get in the squad ahead of someone like Lingard wonder if Southgate has the balls to drop such a marque name though. Same goes with TAA, you wonder if some players will get picked based on their name alone

My 23

GK's: Pickford, Pope, Henderson
RB's: Walker, James, TAA
CB's: Maguire, Stones, Coady
LB's: Shaw, Chilwell
CM's: Rice, Dier, Henderson
CAM's: Mount, Foden, Grealish, Lingard
RW/LW: Rashford, Sterling, Saka
CF's: Kane, DCL

Went with TAA over a 4th CB purely because with Rice and Dier you have two players there that could play in the back, same reason why I went with Dier over Phillips
How is Coady in a 4 at the back though? Didn’t he really struggle when Wolves tried it?

saivet

Last season he got 17 goals in the league alone, he's been well off the pace this season so much so it's not even a debate. Everyone knows he's been off the pace and the reasons why
He clearly hasn't been as good as last season but it's not a disaster like someone in the way I'd describe this season as a disaster for Martial. Provided he's fully fit, if he continues his form from this year, no way Lingard goes ahead of him.

charlenefan

He clearly hasn't been as good as last season but it's not a disaster like someone in the way I'd describe this season as a disaster for Martial. Provided he's fully fit, if he continues his form from this year, no way Lingard goes ahead of him.
I dunno you said Sancho has 8 goals this season, Martial IIRC has 7 so goal return is about the same for both of them

On current form Lingard has to be picked ahead of Sancho. Sancho not only needs to get fit but get back to his best before he should be included otherwise you're picking him based on his name and or potential

saivet

I dunno you said Sancho has 8 goals this season, Martial IIRC has 7 so goal return is about the same for both of them

On current form Lingard has to be picked ahead of Sancho. Sancho not only needs to get fit but get back to his best before he should be included otherwise you're picking him based on his name and or potential
Difference for Martial is he's meant to be the no.9 getting the goals. Sancho in terms of providing assists hasn't dipped off that much.

Of course he does have to get back fit and into some sort of form, but Lingard too has to continue this type of form for the rest of the season. Southgate himself indicated that Lingard really only made the squad to due to injuries. If Grealish and Sancho get back fit and return to decent form, I think they will be ahead of Lingard in the pecking order for the Euros and rightly so to me.