Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Takes some effort to throw a bat that far :lol:

Aww :(

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not sure how long Stokes will last playing like this but it's certainly entertaining.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
We've no idea what Cook will end on in terms of England runs, average, & centuries scored, but does anyone else think Root will beat him on all three?

(If his back holds up)

DOTA

We've no idea what Cook will end on in terms of England runs, average, & centuries scored, but does anyone else think Root will beat him on all three?

(If his back holds up)
I don't think there's any chance his back will, to be honest.

Impulse

(If his back holds up)
Considering how much trouble we're having finding an opening partner for Cook, we probably won't find a replacement for him until he's 50.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think there's any chance his back will, to be honest.
Sadly, I think you're right, but damn... What a player.

Considering how much trouble we're having finding an opening partner for Cook, we probably won't find a replacement for him until he's 50.
:D Atherton to come out of retirement.

NinjaFletch

(If his back holds up)
I think he's got a fairly good chance to beat Cook's century record at a better average (being a middleorder player helps out there). But don't think he'll score as many runs or play as many matches.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I'd love to know Root's record batting through one day vs. starting again on another day, he seems to be great at coming in and scoring well but not so great starting again the next day.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
If he goes on to have half the career of Botham then England's middle order is set for the next decade.

I think he's got a fairly good chance to beat Cook's century record at a better average (being a middleorder player helps out there). But don't think he'll score as many runs or play as many matches.
I think you're right. I can see Cook going until 37/38.

ArmchairCritic

This is pretty damn impressive to be fair.

A lot more to come from his bowling as well IMO, also think Ali would have been in and around there if he wasn't shunted around the order so much, on 860 odd runs and 62 wickets in the same tests as Stokes. I love this side, there will be some pretty shoddy days but there's a lovely balance to it.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Replacing Anderson is going to be key. I don't watch enough CC to comment, but if England can do that & find Cook a proper partner, we will have a great team.

NinjaFletch

Replacing Anderson is going to be key. I don't watch enough CC to comment, but if England can do that & find Cook a proper partner, we will have a great team.
His replacement is already in the team:

Chris Woakes.

NinjaFletch

Prefer Mark Wood to be honest with Finn taking Anderson's mantle.
Different sort of bowlers though. No doubt Wood's got a fantastic career ahead of him, providing he can sort out these injury problems.

Woakes, like Anderson, is a genuine swing bowler. He's a bit quicker than him (his speed is really underplayed for some reason) and needs to learn knack of taking wickets in international cricket (too often he bowls well for no reward) but theres an awful lot of talent there, he's probably the most skilful bowler going around the county cricket scene.

DOTA

Different sort of bowlers though. No doubt Wood's got a fantastic career ahead of him, providing he can sort out these injury problems.

Woakes, like Anderson, is a genuine swing bowler. He's a bit quicker than him (his speed is really underplayed for some reason) and needs to learn knack of taking wickets in international cricket (too often he bowls well for no reward) but theres an awful lot of talent there, he's probably the most skilful bowler going around the county cricket scene.
I can really see him ending up as one of those players like Hick, Ramprakash, Ealham, who are too good for county cricket but never make it as international cricketers.

NinjaFletch

I can really see him ending up as one of those players like Hick, Ramprakash, Ealham, who are too good for county cricket but never make it as international cricketers.
Yeah possibly. He is 27 soon and he's going to have to make himself a feature sooner or later.

Maybe a Graeme Onions/Stuart MacGill type player in that he definitely has the talent to play at Test level but has had his opportunities limited by having the misfortune of playing at a time when better options were knocking around.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah once Anderson retires or is not good enough to be picked Broad and Finn will be the main two and if Stokes develops into the bowler I think he can become then that 3rd seamer spot will be very open to choosing who best fits the condition and in India/UAE/SL that will become a 2nd spinner. At the moment I'm leaning with Woakes as I think Wood searches too much for wicket balls rather than settling for a line and length. It would be really nice to get a left arm-seamer into the side. Woakes will have a shot this year though, 15 more tests in 2016 for England so rotation will play a part.

paulscholes18

Broad bowling like a dream, 2 openers and th key wicket of AB 3-14 for Broad (3-30 SA)

Edit Broad again with all of SA top 4 gone

Last edited:

DOTA

Good period for bowling in, this.

Could be one of 'those days' for Broad, where everything goes perfectly for him.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Looks like England has this series in their grasp. Tough year for South Africa ahead; I believe they're going to England and Australia this year. AUS hasn't lost a test at home since South Africa beat them in Perth December, 2012. Us Aussies have not much time for Broad, but he's in fine form. 31-4, Amla out caught Taylor, bowled Broad.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Broad is so underrated. Brilliant, brilliant bowler and always performs when chips are down

paulscholes18

Looks like England has this series in their grasp. Tough year for South Africa ahead; I believe they're going to England and Australia this year. AUS hasn't lost a test at home since South Africa beat them in Perth December, 2012. Us Aussies have not much time for Broad, but he's in fine form. 31-4, Amla out caught Taylor, bowled Broad.
Fair enough, but Haddin did the same thing in the same test match, only differance was we had a review and you didn't.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fair enough, but Haddin did the same thing in the same test match, only differance was we had a review and you didn't.
I shouldn't have worded what you bolded differently. I should have been more general, instead I sort of included myself in "no time for Broad" thing. The uproar here about Broad stunk of hypocrisy ( Clarke did something similar in Sydney vs india in 2008 only difference being he was given out broad wasn't) I don't dislike Broad and quiet like him. You'd have to fancy your chances of beating Sri Lanka and Pakistan in England this year.

Last edited:

diarm

Does anyone have access to a gif of that Taylor catch? Sounds like it was something special!

Zen

Stuart Broad hot streaks are unreal. De Villiers and Amla! Hero