English cricket 2015 - NZ, The Ashes, Pak and SA

bleedred

SA did well in the end. The bowling attack looks bang average without steyn. Then again, I don't think he would have made much difference on this flat wicket..

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Gotta give mad props to the team as a whole for that batting performance, though. So many of the top order did what they needed to do, although it's a shame no-one really kicked on and posted a huge score.
Thought that would be Buttler, seemed very comfortable until his dismissal.

NinjaFletch

Should've got a few more than they did, in the end, there. Could easily have been over 420.
Its a bit weird that the team in theory has good batsman to number 10 but frequent lower order collapses and getting 30-40 runs less than we should from good positions is quite common. I think they might get a bit carried away and in the 'gotta try and hit every ball for six' mindset.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Its a bit weird that the team in theory has good batsman to number 10 but frequent lower order collapses and getting 30-40 runs less than we should from good positions is quite common. I think they might get a bit carried away and in the 'gotta try and hit every ball for six' mindset.
Yep. Obviously not the worst problem to have but something that should be worked on.

Think Rashid's the key here. If he does well England win easily. If South Africa get well on top of him then we could have a match.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
What an absolutely stunning catch by Ben Stokes. Seen some top class catches in India's tour of Australia but Stokes just pulled that out of thin air. Brilliant.

NinjaFletch

Thankfully the Saffers are smashing Jordan out of the reckoning for the WT20. No idea why he's in the side.

NinjaFletch

How many wides has he bowled today? :D
He'd have to bowl somewhere else other than on the pads to bowl a wide.

Baby steps for him, he's actually displaying far more impressive control than usual, ploughing away on that leg stump 'hit me for four please' line.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Who was that tattoo covered bowler that played for England in ODIs a few years back... Everyone said he was a good death bowler because he had a controlled slower ball, but I always seem to remember him getting spanked :lol:

Shame if this match doesn't play out. I don't even like ODI's, but I've enjoyed watching that batting today.

DOTA

Who was that tattoo covered bowler that played for England in ODIs a few years back... Everyone said he was a good death bowler because he had a controlled slower ball, but I always seem to remember him getting spanked :lol:

Shame if this match doesn't play out. I don't even like ODI's, but I've enjoyed watching that batting today.
Dernbach?

NinjaFletch

Aye Dernbach.

Think he was a better bowler than Jordan is though with the new ball and when actually pitching it up, just got absolutely pulverised at the death 9/10 times despite being a 'death bowler'.

Skills

Snitch
That was some hitting by Buttler to win it.

Honestly it's so hard to believe these are English cricketers, after growing up watching cowardly players incapable of going for big hits. Now there's quite a few in the team.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
That was some hitting by Buttler to win it.

Honestly it's so hard to believe these are English cricketers, after growing up watching cowardly players incapable of going for big hits. Now there's quite a few in the team.
We've often had a couple of players in the team capable of doing it, I think it was always a mental issue exascerbated by selectors not giving aggressive players time and team management dictating a very restrained style of play. I think the big change was Flintoff & Pieterson's attitude to hitting bowlers out of the attack.

ChrisNelson

Steady start to 2nd ODI as England bid to become first team for 15 years to win Test & ODI series in South Africa's backyard. It would also be the first time since 1992 that England have achieved such a feat anywhere other than Bangladesh.

England won toss & batted first, currently 54/1 from 9.1 overs. Roy ran himself out by all accounts, Root has come in to join Hales. Online commentators seem unsure exactly what would constitute a good score but are saying it's another good batting deck.

NinjaFletch

Reckon anything over 260 is going to be a good chase. Pitch looks two paced and uneven.

DOTA

Interesting to see how the lower order do, when they have to play properly rather than just hitting.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Just turned 25, and that's his 16th international century. Love Joe.

NinjaFletch

Serious question, is Root already our best ever ODI player, and if not how long until he is and who has been better than him?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/engla.../most_runs_career.html?class=2;id=1;type=team

The only person above him with a higher average is Trott, and Root already has more hundreds. I guess Trescothick and Pietersen are the two that stand out.

Edit: I guess I said best player, so that brings Flintoff in to the discussion I suppose.

Last edited:

DOTA

Serious question, is Root already our best ever ODI player, and if not how long until he is and who has been better than him?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/engla.../most_runs_career.html?class=2;id=1;type=team

The only person above him with a higher average is Trott, and Root already has more hundreds. I guess Trescothick and Pietersen are the two that stand out.
In order - Trescothick, Morgan, Root, Pietersen, Trott. Root probably closer to Pietersen than Morgan, at present. High rating of Morgan largely because I feel he's played a lot of match winning innings.

EDIT - Forgot about Buttler. Would him have over Trott (might actually have Collingwood over Trott too).

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Class from Stokes.

Collingwood is a good call.

NinjaFletch

I know this is going to sound ridiculous because he's got a very good record but I really think Morgan should have a better record than he does and can't help but be a little disappointed with him.

That said, last summer was a lot better from him, and hopefully being captain continues to get the best out of him.

Also on Trott, I don't know where he would be on my list, but I think he's ridiculously under-rated by the general population who confused the fact that he tended to score ugly with scoring slowly. He played an important role for the side that, for the time, was pretty decent at ODIs.

Edit: Also the lack of fecking brains at times in this England side is starting to annoy me.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I know this is going to sound ridiculous because he's got a very good record but I really think Morgan should have a better record than he does and can't help but be a little disappointed with him.

That said, last summer was a lot better from him, and hopefully being captain continues to get the best out of him.

Also on Trott, I don't know where he would be on my list, but I think he's ridiculously under-rated by the general population who confused the fact that he tended to score ugly with scoring slowly. He played an important role for the side that, for the time, was pretty decent at ODIs.

Edit: Also the lack of fecking brains at times in this England side is starting to annoy me.
How many ODI ducks does Morgan have? Seems to me he either scores big or gets out early playing stupid.

DOTA

Agree with both points, really. I expected Morgan to be indisputably our best ODI batsman at this stage of his career. Trott was underrated, I think because he was a terrible finisher, as well as unaesthetic.

NinjaFletch

How many ODI ducks does Morgan have? Seems to me he either scores big or gets out early playing stupid.
12 times apparently.

0 runs 2007-2015 12 1 6 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 12
1-9 runs 2007-2016 27 4 12 4 0 5 0 2 0 5 4.92 0
10-19 runs 2007-2015 20 1 7 4 4 4 0 0 0 1 14.55 0
20-29 runs 2007-2016 17 1 15 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 32.29 0
30-39 runs 2007-2015 13 2 8 2 1 0 0 0 0 2 39.76 0
40-49 runs 2007-2015 8 0 5 2 0 0 0 1 0 2 54.37 0
50-89 runs 2007-2015 23 3 14 3 2 1 0 0 0 3 71.43 0
90-99 runs 2006-2015 3 0 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 95.00 0
100-149 runs 2007-2015 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 224.75 0

Without comparing them to other players I don't really know if that clumping around 0-19 is significantly worse than the average, but from a quick check Tendulkar only has 8 more ducks from 300 more innings.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Without comparing them to other players I don't really know if that clumping around 0-19 is significantly worse than the average, but from a quick check Tendulkar only has 8 more ducks from 300 more innings.
Yeah, but that's Sachin :D I still don't think Morgan is all that, honestly. I'd rather have KP as my flamboyant match winner.

NinjaFletch

On the subject of underperforming...

Yeah, but that's Sachin :D I still don't think Morgan is all that, honestly. I'd rather have KP as my flamboyant match winner.
Yeah I know, I just wanted to compare it to someone thats unquestionably a great ODI player. You'd have to do some pretty intensive stat work though to find out if Morgan really has a problem with it. Find out what % of dismissals are between certain numbers e.g. 0-19 and then compare it to the average. You'd expect to see batsman get out more often when they're not 'in'.