English cricket 2015 - NZ, The Ashes, Pak and SA

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I know, I just wanted to compare it to someone thats unquestionably a great ODI player. You'd have to do some pretty intensive stat work though to find out if Morgan really has a problem with it. Find out what % of dismissals are between certain numbers e.g. 0-19 and then compare it to the average. You'd expect to see batsman get out more often when they're not 'in'.
You're not wrong, but like you, I feel he is capable of better, and the fact he doesn't produce consistently irks me. I know not everyone can be a Root, but Morgan should be peaking right about now.

England need to send out Alex Hales in the next test match in his ODI Gear
:lol: Maybe!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Can't we call De Kock's secondary school headmaster & tell him the kid is dodging class? Looks like Alastair Cook's taken too much anti-aging medication.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
10th ODI hundred for de Kock at age of just 23 and in 55 innings!! An ODI century per 5.5 innings. It is best rate among all players with 10 or more hundreds.

List before today for fewest innigs per century for those with 10+ centuries in ODI:

Amla 5.90
Kohli 6.52
de Villiers 8.17
Tendulkar 9.33
Trescothick 10.17
Gibbs 11.43
Greenidge 11.55
Gayle 12.0
Ponting 12.17
Saeed Anwar 12.2

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Morgan being rated as one of best ODI player ever for England :lol:
England have never had any great ODI players tbf. Pietersen and Trescothik is about it. Morgan and Root are already the 4th highest century scorers.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
10th ODI hundred for de Kock at age of just 23 and in 55 innings!! An ODI century per 5.5 innings. It is best rate among all players with 10 or more hundreds.

List before today for fewest innnigs per century for those with 10+ centuries in ODI:

Amla 5.90
Kohli 6.52
de Villiers 8.17
Tendulkar 9.33
Trescothick 10.17
Gibbs 11.43
Greenidge 11.55
Gayle 12.0
Ponting 12.17
Saeed Anwar 12.2
Some insane company there.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Some insane company there.
He is also fastest to 10 centuries mark innings wise. Previous fastest was Amla at 57 innings. Amla holds record for fastest to mark to all but 10th from 8 to 21 centuries! Kohli currently fastest to 22-25 century marks, 26 onwards: GOD is fastest.
Amla is going at better rate than Kohli so unless he suffers terrible drought, Amla should soon be fastest innings wise to 22-25 marks as well.

zing

Zingle balls
We should be normalizing these by match averages.

There was a lot of hue and cry about how ODIs were dying earlier, but I used to enjoy them despite that. Some of the 240-270 games were fantastic to watch -- but I could see people's point about overs 20-30 being boring.

Now with these awful pitches, they're definitely going to die.

What is even the point of this shit?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Reminds me of the WC match vs Sri Lanka when Tharanga & Dilshan both made 100s and beat us with time to spare :D

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

There was a lot of hue and cry about how ODIs were dying earlier, but I used to enjoy them despite that. Some of the 240-270 games were fantastic to watch -- but I could see people's point about overs 20-30 being boring.

What is the point of posting the same crap each time teams score 300+?

Pitches haven't suddenly turned bad. They have been like this for ages. As much as people might hate to admit it the difference is that batsmen (with the introduction of T20's) have gotten a lot better at hitting the ball and a lot more confident in their own ability at doing so which is why see more and more big scores. Batsmen have gotten a lot better at it in any format in fact including Tests.

The game is evolving. People should appreciate that and the number of quality batsmen going around these days playing fantastic strokes than continuously moan about the high scores. It's great to watch.

And it was very good match today. 3 fantastic hundreds from 3 very good batsmen.

NinjaFletch

It's nothing to do with pitches? ODIs have often been played on batsmen friendly wickets. The difference between now and 2-3 years ago is that teams who were happy to push the ball around for 4.5 to 5 an over from the 15th to 50th over are now trying to go at at least 6RPO. Then in the last 15 T20 style hitting come into it.

I don't think theres a huge amount wrong at the minute, the 240-270 games were about good bowling getting rewarded, I don't think anyone wants to see ODIs played on minefields to give the bowlers support and artificially create a balance between bat and ball. Probably the biggest problem is that the white ball is still shite, it doesn't swing enough for long enough and with 2 new balls from each end teams can't get reverse at the back end of an innings.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It's nothing to do with pitches? ODIs have often been played on batsmen friendly wickets. The difference between now and 2-3 years ago is that teams who were happy to push the ball around for 4.5 to 5 an over from the 15th to 50th over are now trying to go at at least 6RPO. Then in the last 15 T20 style hitting come into it.

I don't think theres a huge amount wrong at the minute, the 240-270 games were about good bowling getting rewarded, I don't think anyone wants to see ODIs played on minefields to give the bowlers support and artificially create a balance between bat and ball. Probably the biggest problem is that the white ball is still shite, it doesn't swing enough for long enough and with 2 new balls from each end teams can't get reverse at the back end of an innings.
I do :D No scores over 200, please!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Tbh given this current crop of ODI bowlers you probably could play on a cobbled street and they'd still contrive to bowl badly enough to concede more than that.
Bowlers aren't the issue imo. Give them favouring conditions and they will do well, as proven by the completely unknown and inexperienced SL bowlers today.

TheGame

I think if we can get Broad and Finn for Topley and Jordan, it will improve the bowling substanially. Topley has done well and it will be good for him to get more experience. Jordan is very hit and miss with the ball, more miss at the moment. I'm happy with the rest of the team. We still have Bairstow and Taylor as backups. Roy needs to get a good score.

zing

Zingle balls
What is the point of posting the same crap each time teams score 300+?

Pitches haven't suddenly turned bad. They have been like this for ages. As much as people might hate to admit it the difference is that batsmen (with the introduction of T20's) have gotten a lot better at hitting the ball and a lot more confident in their own ability at doing so which is why see more and more big scores. Batsmen have gotten a lot better at it in any format in fact including Tests.

The game is evolving. People should appreciate that and the number of quality batsmen going around these days playing fantastic strokes than continuously moan about the high scores. It's great to watch.

And it was very good match today. 3 fantastic hundreds from 3 very good batsmen.
How come the batsmen routinely crumble to 101 all out like yesterday's India Sri Lanka match then when there's a bit for the bowlers?

Why are they not hitting the ball better on those pitches?

Just look at the quality of test cricket when there's movement -- like England Australia in the last Ashes when Australia routinely folded. More power sure didn't help them there.

When the likes of James Faulkner are setting records for fastest hundred, I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the pitch and rules rather than a new found ability to hit.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How come the batsmen routinely crumble to 101 all out like yesterday's India Sri Lanka match then when there's a bit for the bowlers?

Why are they not hitting the ball better on those pitches?

Just look at the quality of test cricket when there's movement -- like England Australia in the last Ashes when Australia routinely folded. More power sure didn't help them there.

When the likes of James Faulkner are setting records for fastest hundred, I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the pitch and rules rather than a new found ability to hit.
How come some teams managed to score 300+ and even chase down 300 back in the good old days when the pitches were excellent? Shit happens.

Good bowling gets wickets on pitches that helps bowlers. Shocker! It's not like this has not been happening for ages and ages even in the good old days...

James Faulkner is a very good hitter, yes, that's why he's able to score quick runs. It's not like complete sloggers like Afridi weren't hitting the ball about more than a decade ago and Faulkner's a far better player.

As for the rules, they changed them and batsmen are still scoring runs. And they will keep scoring runs because quite simply they are much better hitters of the ball. Big totals will keep getting chased down because batsmen no longer piss themselves at chasing anything close to 300. You can no longer waddle around at strike rates in the low 70's and be called a good ODI player. It's really no coincidence that all this has taken off since T20's started

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
SA looking favourites for this one. Spinners have been poor in these last 8 or so overs. But all we need is a wicket to make SA nervy.

Traub

Close game. Not sure why we've gone to such shit in the last few months.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Brilliant from Morris. Rashid will have a lot of nasty glances from the English dressing room if they lose this after his dolly drop of Morris on 10 or so.

NinjaFletch

Morgan's captaincy has left a lot to be desired too.

Broad getting absolutely flogged at the death was predictable as feck.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Remarkably bad captaincy to bring on Rashid so late.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Million dollar man! Brilliant by Morris, great game. Rashid will have nightmares of that simple drop catch for a while.

NinjaFletch

I reckon those two deliveries are about the most Rashid things to ever happen. A bit like batting well to save a test match and getting caught at cover.

Djemba-Djemba

Well done to South Africa but that was a shambles from England. Just hopeless fielding, dropped catches, missed run outs, misfields turning 1's into 2's and 2's into 4's.

Broad isn't an ODI player. Was woeful today.